2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (Baltguy, All in Stride, AWilley, c++, brennbaer, 36251, accordeur, anotherscott, 14 invisible), 756 guests, and 521 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: The best of PW: Larry posts...
#290274 08/30/06 06:48 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Over 1 billion Chinese don't give a Tinker's Damn. :p
Now, ain't that the truth, and there's more Chinese being added to this forum every day laugh

Some can tell you to go to heck in such a manner that you would think you might actually enjoy the trip, but that is far more polite than civil - JBryan
#290275 08/30/06 07:14 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apple*:
no

too much hate

i have never witnessed such hatred - a real disservice to you both
Then why do you go out of your way to fuel it?

jf

"Make the pie higher." GWB
#290276 08/30/06 07:36 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
[fugettaboutit...]

#290277 08/30/06 08:32 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mikhailoh:
And he's a fellow Ohioan too! Dwain that is...
But we forgive him.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
#290278 08/30/06 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Sir Lurksalot:
By the way, the 4'7" Pearl River story was in response to the question "What's the best piano in the world?" It's been taken out-of-context in the past as a "Look how great I am!" story.
Just so. The thread was titled "The Ultimate Piano" I think. And as Larry said in that post, on that day, the "ultimate piano" was a 4'7" Pearl River.

Wheels
#290279 08/30/06 09:08 PM
Tom

Don't be a forum Nazi.

Your friend,
Dan

P.S. by the way, since you're back, I thought I'd let you know I saw your original Happy Birthday message to me way back when. And every subsequent version until it was edited down to a forum-appropriate level. You did a lot of editing in a very short amount of time.

laugh

Wheels
#290280 08/30/06 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Nunatax:
Originally posted by Jolly:
Here's the problem, Tom.

In this thread there's not a single OCR Larry post. It's pretty much a PF thread, not an OCR rehash. So how much relevance does it have to the OCR?

None.

Nada.

Zippola.

But notice what comes crawling out of the wood work...
ROTFLMAO! This is all just hilarious!

If you put the wood on the fire, that's what happens, Jolly. Apple put the blame for Larry's banning on liberals, another guy even mentioned names, and then you wonder why they start showing up??? Go check the chronology if you don't believe me. Before these posts, the only ones you had to deal with were Ace and Steve Cohen, and I don't know about the first one, but I doubt Steve was referring to the OCR. Sow the seeds of wind and you shall reap storm, buddy. Shouldn't go complainin' afterwards wink

I hope Larry put himself over PW by now. He is indeed great at smoking out sales weasels and trolls and knows more about pianos than I will ever know. We already know that, but I doubt these worship rituals are going to get him back in. Time to move on, perhaps? [/QB]
Ain't no complaining here.

And if you think this is a worship ritual, you're nuckin futs. I don't worship any human. I do, however, have great respect for the past and the good people who populate it. I didn't start this thread, a relatively new member here did that. Even you must admit that a lot of Larry's old stuff, and I mean quite a bit, is well worth digging up.

Drop by his board sometimes at Piano Facts...I'm not saying you'll agree with what you read - pianos are somewhat subjective, you know - but there ain't a sales weazel on the site.

BTW, when was the last time you posted in the PF?

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
#290281 08/30/06 09:24 PM
Hey, Nunatax, I looked at when you were here last.

Behold, the power of Larry:

Nunatax - 1/21/06 (that's the only time within the last year)
Jack Frost - no posts within the last 18 months
TomK - no posts within the last 18 months
D. Lee - 4/10/05
KathyK - 8/11/06 (but she posted more in this thread than her previous 6 months in the PF)
Cindysphinx - 8/2/06 (but to be fair, Cindy is quite active in other sections)

#290282 08/30/06 09:43 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by gryphon:
[b] And he's a fellow Ohioan too! Dwain that is...
But we forgive him. [/b]
Bite me Michigan Boy... I was a Michigander when you were in diapers... laugh

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
#290283 08/30/06 09:52 PM
If you can't take the heat...but hey, I was born and raised a Hoosier. In my heart, though, I am from the South. And the good Lord willin', one day I'll move back to the land of my ancestors, er, ah, kin folk.

laugh

Wheels
#290284 08/30/06 09:59 PM
they call the grapevine at my church the 'calling tree'

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
#290285 08/30/06 10:05 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
This is more fun than I've had on here in.. oh, say a year and a half.....

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
#290286 08/30/06 10:08 PM
SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Gosh, what a surprise! Certain people are blamed for getting good old Larry banned, and you're all shocked that they come on here to defend themselves. Even going to the trouble to find out how much they post! Great detective work there. Oh and I'll save you the trouble, I hardly ever post on this forum, so bash away.

Cindy, I didn't know you had such power. I'm going to have to be nicer to you!

#290287 08/30/06 10:09 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
As a matter of fact, it is rather a festival atmosphere... oh, my.. it couldn't be.. it is, though.... it's

LARRYFEST '06!

Everybody dance! laugh yippie

Michael

====

#290288 08/30/06 10:10 PM
Originally posted by gryphon:
If you can't take the heat...but hey, I was born and raised a Hoosier. In my heart, though, I am from the South. And the good Lord willin', one day I'll move back to the land of my ancestors, er, ah, kin folk.

laugh
A yankee is a person who is born in the Northern United States, and resides therein.

A damnyankee is a person who is born in the Northern United States, and resides in God'S Country, sometimes referred to as "The South"or "Dixie".

Jolly - American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God...

#290289 08/30/06 10:14 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

[b]LARRYFEST '06!

Everybody dance! laugh [/b]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
#290290 08/30/06 10:15 PM
Originally posted by SAS:
Gosh, what a surprise! Certain people are blamed for getting good old Larry banned, and you're all shocked that they come on here to defend themselves. Even going to the trouble to find out how much they post! Great detective work there. Oh and I'll save you the trouble, I hardly ever post on this forum, so bash away.

Cindy, I didn't know you had such power. I'm going to have to be nicer to you!
What are you guys doing over at WTF, crying in a massive kumbayah slumber party?

Since you don't ever come here - this by your own admission - it must mean y'all are wailing the night away, pounding away at your keyboards, PM'ing (or is that PMS'ing),eating chocolate and watching your tush get bigger. :p

This is most certainly a hoot! Would you like a link to the TNCR, so you can read Larry's reaction?

Or would that depress you more so than usual? smile

#290291 08/30/06 10:25 PM
Need a piano prepped? Maybe not. Larry-2004

I've stayed out of this thread because the last thing I want to do is cause any of the dealers here to think I'm questioning them, or saying anything bad about them. But the simple fact is, most true premium pianos do not require the kind of work being described here.

I'll use Bechstein as an example. Bechstein puts every single one of their pianos through many, many tunings, regulations, voicings, etc. at the factory. But then they do something else. Before the grands are crated, they go to Bechstein hall where their best prep men work with the pianos for several months. Some of the finest concert pianists in Europe come through, play them, make recommendations, the technicians make the changes, they are played again, more changes and adjustments, until the pianos are completely broken in, and regulated and voiced to perfection. The pianos may spend 6 months being played and adjusted before they pass inspection to be shipped out. I have *never* uncrated a Bechstein that needed much more than a slight brushup on the tuning. And no offense to the fine technicians here, but I don't think anyone here is any better qualified than Bechstein's veteran finish technicians.

Walter pianos are thoroughly prepped at the factory, even to the point of having it all done again just before it leaves the factory. I've never seen a Walter that arrived with uneven voicing, though the entire piano may be voiced differently than some want it. I do not recommend spending the massive amount of time and money on a piano like this that is being talked about given the fact that there is only one way to break in a piano, and that is time, and use. You can fiddle and fuss all day long for a week, but until the action is "played in" it is all for nothing. You can take the action apart and spit polish ever pin in it, but until that action has broken in, you're wasting your time.

My biggest problem with the discussion is the impression being left that *every single piano* gets this kind of attention. No offense, but there is a little "sales spin" being added to the mix here by some, and it's causing the wrong impression to be left. On the pianos where one *can* justify spending this kind of money, this kind of work is hardly necessary right out of the box, and much of it should be left until after the piano has some breakin time. On the pianos where this level of expense *can't* be justified, I am not buying into the idea that anyone is going to those lengths. Not only will the marketplace not support it, the typical customer for these products don't need it, and can't really tell the difference. Besides, the lower the quality of the piano, the more affected it is going to be by breaking it in.

I'm not trying to question anyone as to their level of truthfulness in their descriptions of what they claim to be doing to every single piano they sell. I *am* questioning however, the necessity of it all. This level of detail should happen after the piano has had a good bit of breakin time on it, and I'm not saying that because I'm someone who is too cheap to do it, or don't have high enough standards. My standards are just as high as anyone's here. I'm saying it because in my opinion most of it, particularly when talking about a true premium piano, is more self serving than it is beneficial to the piano, or to the customer buying the piano.

I stick to my previous statement - I can prep any piano to a perfectly acceptable level in less than 4 hours, and I'm talking about the cheap stuff. Would a picky fussy tech be able to find a few things that need improvement? Sure. But the last 16 hours worth of work is only yielding about a 5% improvement over where I'll have it, if that. To me, that is simply not justified, and spending that kind of money for that little improvement on a piano that hasn't even had time to break in yet is wasting the customer's money. High end pianos need very little when new. Spending 20+ hours on a premium piano without doing that to the preferences of the final owner is again, in my opinion, a waste of the customer's money. It sounds good when talked about, it leaves nice warm fuzzies with the public, but it just isn't called for.

Now - don't accuse me of attacking anyone, I'm not. And don't come back at me with your *own* attack trying to portray me as someone who doesn't understand or care about quality prepwork. Those who know me know better than that. I just think a little reality is missing in the whole picture being presented here, and I don't know how to correct the picture without making someone mad.

#290292 08/30/06 10:35 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Would YOU let him in? [Linked Image]

Michael

====

#290293 08/30/06 10:58 PM
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Should post Larry members comment? Is this the headwaters of a movement or just a ritual of, by and for the elders?

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The College Experience
by MinscAndBoo - 01/16/21 10:40 AM
Kawai ES110 Quality Control
by MusicMaster709 - 01/16/21 10:32 AM
Kawai ES920 Bug Report!
by Chummy - 01/16/21 09:36 AM
I have an announcement, LOL...
by ebonykawai - 01/16/21 09:17 AM
Petroff Piano Competition 2021
by Piano World - 01/16/21 09:16 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,289
Posts3,047,262
Members100,077
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission