2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
FAbdul Offline OP
OP Offline
F
So I'm a beginner and just started my piano lesson this month.
I want to buy my first piano/digital piano, and the options is between Roland Fp 30 or Yamaha P125.

I've done my research from internet, that Roland FP 30 has better keys and sound than Yamaha P125, and that FP 30 feels more closer to real piano than Yamaha P125, as it has ivory like keys.

But in my country, at quiet the same price, Yamaha P125 already included wood stand and 3 pedals while FP 30 did not(only 1 pedals). And if I buy a separated wood stand and pedals for FP 30, it costs about $200 more than P125 here.

My question, should I buy FP 30 without wood stand and 3 pedals or Yamaha P125 at the same price?
Is FP 30 still worth more than P125 even without those?
oh and, the FP 30 in my country didn't have bluetooth.

Thank you, and sorry if my question is not clear enough.

Last edited by FAbdul; 10/20/19 03:57 AM.
K
K
While you are on the right website, you are asking the question in the wrong sub-forum. Head over to the Digital Pianos, Synths & Keyboards section and ask your question over there.

F
FAbdul Offline OP
OP Offline
F
oh sorry, I didn't know, thanks for telling me 🙂

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
While you're here though.... Both pianos are of equal quality, but I think having the stand included in the price would be the decider for me so I'd take the Yamaha, although I love Roland pianos as well.

YAMAHA Artist
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Anecdotally most people here in the digital forum prefer the Roland action.
The Yamaha on the other hand has a built in audio interface - this is a killer feature for some allowing you to easily get both midi and audio from a computer or iOS device over a single USB cable.
I’d go with the Yamaha personally for the saving and start saving for the upgrade you will inevitably want if you’re still playing in a years time smile

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I've played both, the Yamaha more than the Roland. I would give the Roland the edge for touch, but the difference is not significant. Unless you can try them both and decide which you like, I'd say buy the one that is the best bargain. It's hard to imagine you will need 3 pedals for quite some time, so you could buy the P125 without the 3 pedals and save money. You can always add the pedals later. The wooden stand is nice to have, it doesn't move around like less expensive stands. I made my own wooden stand, that's an option for you if you have access to wood and a few basic tools. If there is a used market where you're located, you can save a lot of money on used digitals, they depreciate pretty fast.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
L
L
Both Casio S1000/3000 have great keys as well.

Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
The Yamaha on the other hand has a built in audio interface - this is a killer feature for some allowing you to easily get both midi and audio from a computer or iOS device over a single USB cable.
I’d go with the Yamaha personally for the saving and start saving for the upgrade you will inevitably want if you’re still playing in a years time smile

I'm curious as to why you are certain that he'll want to upgrade if still playing in a year's time? Even with my precious music degree, I remained very happy playing my old Casiotone CT-680 relic for many, many years. So by my way of thinking, if that cheap little (61-key) portable keyboard was enough to keep me entertained for literally decades, then the shiny new PX-870 I'm waiting to get delivered should definitely keep me smiling for all of eternity! Heck, I'd still be playing that 32-year-old keyboard had I not given it away to my daughter when she left the nest.

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

- Casio (Casiotone) CT-S300 - 2020
- Casio (Privia) PX-870BK - 2019
- Casio (Casiotone) CT-680 - 1990
- Yamaha (Portatone) PS-25 - 1983
- Yamaha (Portasound) PS-2 - 1980
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by camperbc
I'm curious as to why you are certain that he'll want to upgrade if still playing in a year's time? Even with my precious music degree, I remained very happy playing my old Casiotone CT-680 relic for many, many years. So by my way of thinking, if that cheap little (61-key) portable keyboard was enough to keep me entertained for literally decades, then the shiny new PX-870 I'm waiting to get delivered should definitely keep me smiling for all of eternity! Heck, I'd still be playing that 32-year-old keyboard had I not given it away to my daughter when she left the nest.

I believe Morten did not refer to "need," but to "want." As in "I want" smile A lot of us here on PW suffer from G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), where you buy things you don't need because you just want them. I must admit the same for me. I started with a Roland FP30 in Feb 2018 and then I started coveting something better, and the next thing I knew, I had a Yamaha Avantgrand N1X only 15 months later, when technically, I could probably have survived with the Roland FP30 for a few more years of piano lessons.

G.A.S. is actually a form of ego gratification as one thinks one is learning to play better - "hey, I am sounding better, but I bet if I had a better piano, I'd sound really good!" etc etc.

Lastly, at the completely entry level (which neither the FP30 or P125 are), there are limitations in the hardware. For example, the Yamaha P45 & P71 has only one pedal. So if you need the una corda pedal you are out of luck. The Roland FP30 has only a one-position half-pedal so if you are playing Chopin and want a continuous half-pedal, you are out of luck. Of course, neither of these would be needs in the first year. I'm approaching my 3rd year and haven't really needed either of these things.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
The Roland FP30 has only a one-position half-pedal

Oops, couldn't edit any more. I mean Roland FP10 and not FP30.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by camperbc

I am not certain - but based on my own experience and many other users on the digital forum many will want to try a better or different instrument after a while.

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I believe Morten did not refer to "need," but to "want." As in "I want" smile A lot of us here on PW suffer from G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), where you buy things you don't need because you just want them. I must admit the same for me. I started with a Roland FP30 in Feb 2018 and then I started coveting something better, and the next thing I knew, I had a Yamaha Avantgrand N1X only 15 months later, when technically, I could probably have survived with the Roland FP30 for a few more years of piano lessons.

G.A.S. is actually a form of ego gratification as one thinks one is learning to play better - "hey, I am sounding better, but I bet if I had a better piano, I'd sound really good!" etc etc.

Lastly, at the completely entry level (which neither the FP30 or P125 are), there are limitations in the hardware. For example, the Yamaha P45 & P71 has only one pedal. So if you need the una corda pedal you are out of luck. The Roland FP30 has only a one-position half-pedal so if you are playing Chopin and want a continuous half-pedal, you are out of luck. Of course, neither of these would be needs in the first year. I'm approaching my 3rd year and haven't really needed either of these things.

Ah, ok thanks for this! I'm still learning the ropes around here, so please bear with me.

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

- Casio (Casiotone) CT-S300 - 2020
- Casio (Privia) PX-870BK - 2019
- Casio (Casiotone) CT-680 - 1990
- Yamaha (Portatone) PS-25 - 1983
- Yamaha (Portasound) PS-2 - 1980
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Camperbc, yes GAS is very pervasive, not just here on this forum, but in other forums and in the world! Everybody is chasing the next new thing and I’m not immune to it either, although my symptoms have actually been professionally diagnosed so are much more serious than others perhaps. LOL! I just bought an acoustic and it’s not even home yet...and I’m already thinking about upgrading my Casio Privia PX735, AND adding a second instrument (other than piano) to my life. So you’ll see a lot of us “upgraders” here. grin

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 10/21/19 09:10 AM.

Kawai K500
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Sometimes we blame our current instrument rather than admitting the issue is of technique, contributing to GAS. . Having trouble with trills? It is easier to think an instrument upgrade will fix it.. rather than thinking some significant time needs to be spent improving technique .

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Camperbc, yes GAS is very pervasive, not just here on this forum, but in other forums and in the world! Everybody is chasing the next new thing and I’m not immune to it either, although my symptoms have actually been professionally diagnosed so are much more serious than others perhaps. LOL! I just bought an acoustic and it’s not even home yet...and I’m already thinking about upgrading my Casio Privia PX735, AND adding a second instrument (other than piano) to my life. So you’ll see a lot of us “upgraders” here. grin

Yes and along with G.A.S. there’s an offshoot called P.A.S. which can be expensive and floorspace consuming, Piano Acquisition Syndrome. Somehow many of us are convinced that the only thing standing in the way of our success in becoming accomplished pianists is we need a bigger, better piano. This lingering thought drives the whole music industry. Perhaps CamperBC is immune? If so, maybe a vaccine against GAS or PAS could be made for the rest of us shocked

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
S
S
I just faced the same thing. Tried both the P125 and the F30. Loved both. I bought the Yamaha P-125. Two reason, first the Yamaha connects to my iPad and it was on sale and came with the bench and the stand (the wooden one - not folding one) for less than just the F-30 and considering I was going to get the P45 my budget didn't really allow for the F30 and a stand. I am very happy with my choice, just connected it to my iPad two days ago and it is so much fun learning with the apps.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Suzysue
I just faced the same thing. Tried both the P125 and the F30. Loved both. I bought the Yamaha P-125. Two reason, first the Yamaha connects to my iPad and it was on sale and came with the bench and the stand (the wooden one - not folding one) for less than just the F-30 and considering I was going to get the P45 my budget didn't really allow for the F30 and a stand. I am very happy with my choice, just connected it to my iPad two days ago and it is so much fun learning with the apps.

Enjoy your new piano! grin

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission