Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
96 registered members (36251, AndrewJCW, anamnesis, bounced, amyram, Bruce In Philly, A441, 26 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: mivaldes] #2902015
10/19/19 09:53 AM
10/19/19 09:53 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Online Content

Georgia, USA
Thanks for the kind words, j&j and LarryK. I've read and heard before that some professional musicians actually have their fingers insured. If they have a finger injury that impairs their performance ability, they receive a monetary payment/settlement from the insurance company to compensate for the possible loss of earning potential due to the injury. Sounds like a good idea to me.

I was at work when the injury to my hand/finger occurred and received a small settlement from workers comp for the injury. It wasn't that much in the scheme of things, and would much rather have had my fingertip back like it was before the injury.

I was working on a commercial air conditioning unit when I cut my finger on a spinning fan blade. It was more of an accident than carelessness on my part because I knew the fan blade was turning right in front of me. I had to check control voltage on some conductors near the fan blade and misjudge how close my hand was to the spinning fan blade. Plus, I was actually assisting another HVAC tech who couldn't fix the problem, and on top of a building in July in 100* heat.

But accidents can happen, even when being very careful to avoid them.

j&j, glad your hair grew back and your scalp healed up... smile

Now, I try to be even more careful with using power tools or working on machinery.

As for really good deals on nice pianos, they do come along from time to time. What I've learned from experience is that if you are in the market for a nice piano, and don't have a lot of money, when a really good deal comes along you have to act quickly or someone else will... I've missed out on a few really good buys on nice pianos, but I've also taken advantage on some very good buys on nice pianos.

I mentioned to Sally Phillips what I paid for my Yamaha C7 (circa 1978) and she said I stole it. But I didn't steal it literally, I bought it from the seller for what I considered a large sum of money for a non-essential luxury item, and have a bill of sale to prove it. smile

But as has been mentioned already, the really good buys on nice pianos is not a frequent occurrence, and happens only on occasion, at least for the average piano shopper. I think piano dealers get good deals every day when someone calls who wants/needs to get rid of a piano in a hurry for some reason (health concerns, downsizing, lost interest, etc...). But that is like comparing apples and oranges to an extent...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: mivaldes] #2902027
10/19/19 10:29 AM
10/19/19 10:29 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
I have found Next Door to be an infrequent, but golden source of incredible deals..., I would recommend signing up if you are in the market for a quick, possibly great deal. I have seen Downsizing, estates, moving out of state pianos;... and since the listing is only visible to a limited scope of adjacent areas, there is not much buyer competition. The forums are not open to local dealers or rebuilders unless their home address fits in the neighborhood profile. I am just not in the market for another piano

Last edited by dogperson; 10/19/19 10:31 AM.
Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: LarryK] #2902033
10/19/19 10:45 AM
10/19/19 10:45 AM
San Marcos, Texas
M
macskyver Offline
macskyver  Offline
M

San Marcos, Texas
Originally Posted by LarryK
That certainly looks like a great deal, and I live in the same state, but, alas, I have no room for a grand.

I would expect pianos to be like any other depreciating asset, that they lose their value with time and are subject to wear, like cars. I don’t think people are willing to give away recently made fine pianos although the prices for such can be very good, as I have noticed.

I think you are pretty close with that assessment, especially with newer pianos which are harder to find super cheap. Pianos have some unique qualities that change the value a bunch though. They are a real PITA to move. Many people have no knowledge of/use for them and receive them as family heirlooms or they came with a house purchase. So there's a lot of people out there with these large cumbersome things taking space in their living room that they know nothing about and didn't pay for. And now they want them gone. Since it is a pretty big gamble getting a used piano, most people are scared to buy them, and that drives the price even lower. A lot of times these people are just happy to get anything out of them or to have the stress relief of having them out of the way (like in case they are moving out of a house/apartment by a certain date). People with newer pianos are usually the ones who bought them, so they are more reluctant to give away something they recently paid $10k for..

Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: macskyver] #2902047
10/19/19 11:17 AM
10/19/19 11:17 AM
E
edferris Offline
edferris  Offline
E

"Split moving costs"?! That means they will be losing money on the deal.
Chickering has a lot to atone for from their quarter-grand line. Not bad pianos, but it started the whole baby grand craze.

Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: mivaldes] #2902087
10/19/19 02:11 PM
10/19/19 02:11 PM
Dublin
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
One great thing about living so near the UK is that I can take advantage of their oversupply of ancient pianos. Things will be potentially more complicated after Brexit, as my next UK-sourced piano would be an import into the EU.

Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: macskyver] #2902114
10/19/19 03:45 PM
10/19/19 03:45 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Originally Posted by macskyver
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
With used pianos especially, it is a buyer's market. It's really in your favor if you have the means and desire to transport them. There's lots of decent free uprights and sub $300 grands out there. Of course, lots of them are pretty far gone and not worth getting, but there are plenty of smoking deals to be found.

Not in my area. This is the land of $3000 Chickerings and 4'11" Kimballs, LOL.

Here's one for you that's close to Niagra Falls, NY:

https://www.pianomart.com/buy-a-piano/view?id=38123

It would be nice if it was a little bigger.. but the price is right.

It says it's in Ohio. Just outside Cleveland, that almost 3 hours. Moving would be around $1000. Syracuse is around the same. NYC $1500. They'd never split that cost.

Lisa

Currently working on RCM 7 repertoire
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP, Kawai KDP110

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: mivaldes] #2902119
10/19/19 04:11 PM
10/19/19 04:11 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY

Lisa

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: mivaldes] #2902123
10/19/19 04:36 PM
10/19/19 04:36 PM
San Marcos, Texas
M
macskyver Offline
macskyver  Offline
M

San Marcos, Texas
I would consider 3 hours away to be relatively close for purchasing a piano. It's an easy day trip. Of course, if you aren't moving it yourself, you will be paying a lot for it. You could easily spend $1000 dollars having a piano moved across town.

Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: mivaldes] #2902128
10/19/19 04:56 PM
10/19/19 04:56 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Online content
Rickster  Online Content

Georgia, USA
I would consider 3 hours away to be relatively close for purchasing a piano. It's an easy day trip. Of course, if you aren't moving it yourself, you will be paying a lot for it. You could easily spend $1000 dollars having a piano moved across town.

It was about a 3 hour drive (one way) to look at my Yamaha C7. We drove up to look at it on a Sunday, made the deal, and rode back up with the movers that following Wednesday to move it. Worked out well...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: mivaldes] #2902129
10/19/19 05:00 PM
10/19/19 05:00 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Online content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Online Content

4000 Post Club Member

🎹
Originally Posted by mivaldes
I bought the telecaster for a bit less than $800

Cool. The Tele is a quintessential model, IMO. I had a '63 Esquire many moons ago, which shared the body and neck shapes with the Tele, so it looked very similar.

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: macskyver] #2902130
10/19/19 05:02 PM
10/19/19 05:02 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY

I definitely consider it close if it's a dealership. Otherwise, the shipping costs are usually not worth the value of said piano. I'm pretty lucky, local costs of moving is $250, and Rochester, about an hour away, is around $400 via my piano movers. That definitely broadens the possibilities. They often have a much better range of used grands in Rochester, but they can still be quite overpriced. I see a LOT of ancient NY made pianos!

Lisa

Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: Rickster] #2902131
10/19/19 05:03 PM
10/19/19 05:03 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Originally Posted by Rickster

It was about a 3 hour drive (one way) to look at my Yamaha C7. We drove up to look at it on a Sunday, made the deal, and rode back up with the movers that following Wednesday to move it. Worked out well...

Rick

You got the deal of a lifetime with that instrument, Rick!!

Lisa

Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: Rickster] #2902132
10/19/19 05:04 PM
10/19/19 05:04 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Online content

4000 Post Club Member

🎹

Rick

Yes, these days travel is almost guaranteed if you want options.

I drove 4 hours to see one piano, so 8 round trip. And the one I did buy was roughly a 3 hour drive (worse with traffic). Shipping from Philly to the Virginia suburbs of DC was $675. They picked it up one day, delivered it the next. First floor on both ends, but they put up with traffic in Philly, Baltimore and the Beltway in each direction. That was five years ago though.

Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: mivaldes] #2902135
10/19/19 05:20 PM
10/19/19 05:20 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Online content

4000 Post Club Member

🎹
I would imagine that moving a piano is hard work. They earn their pay! I think there was a recent thread about that. And it's the same hard work whether they're moving a freebie junker or a brand new piano. Btw -- and this goes without saying -- the buyer pays for shipping even when buying from a dealer and it's "included."

Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: mivaldes] #2902148
10/19/19 06:06 PM
10/19/19 06:06 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Online content

4000 Post Club Member

🎹
It's funny that second-hand sellers' expectations are all over the map. Some people just assume that an old piano is valuable just because "pianos are expensive." I look at Craigslist periodically. There's a '93 Baldwin L that I noticed recently. The sellers were asking $22,000! That seemed high given what the market will bear for a Baldwin; however, the sellers are rational enough to know that if it doesn't sell that they need to drop the price. It was at 18k a few days ago, and it's at 16.8k now. It's falling fast! But there's a '65 Baldwin L also listed locally for 9k. So I wonder if/when the '93 will stop dropping relative to the '65, or if the sellers of the '65 will realize that they too need to drop their expectations.

Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: ebonykawai] #2902155
10/19/19 07:07 PM
10/19/19 07:07 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

LOL, they started out asking $44,000 for this piano months ago!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ https://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/d/bowmansville-1897-mason-and-hamlin-7ft/6964112641.html
Not one thing was ever updated on it, I asked, lol.

Really curious how they thought a 122yo grand that had never been rebuilt was worth $44K. smile

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: mivaldes] #2902162
10/19/19 07:29 PM
10/19/19 07:29 PM
San Marcos, Texas
M
macskyver Offline
macskyver  Offline
M

San Marcos, Texas
Yeah, it's crazy what people want sometimes. I was recently at an estate sale where they were selling an old Chickering. It looked ok, not too beat up externally, but it was way out of tune and played like poo. The soundboard had multiple giant cracks, one of which you could see daylight through full length. They were asking $8500.

Moving pianos is definitely not for the faint of heart. Having the right tools for the job makes a huge difference. Baby grands are not too bad though. All you need are two people (at least one of them relatively strong), a flat head screwdriver, furniture dolly, U-haul motorcycle trailer ($15 per day), some ratchet straps, moving blankets... and you are good to go.. assuming there are no stairs..

Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2902173
10/19/19 08:18 PM
10/19/19 08:18 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
LOL, they started out asking $44,000 for this piano months ago!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ https://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/d/bowmansville-1897-mason-and-hamlin-7ft/6964112641.html
Not one thing was ever updated on it, I asked, lol.

Really curious how they thought a 122yo grand that had never been rebuilt was worth $44K. smile

No idea, but a friend of mine runs a local dealership and the owner contacted them to see if they wanted to buy it. They apparently dropped the price right out of the ad after that conversation, LOL.

I think most people don't really understand that a piano being an "antique" isn't really a good selling point.

The "we want this to land in the hands of someone that will put it to use over the next 120 years" had me in stitches!!! You'd be lucky to get another 120 minutes out of it, LOL.

Lisa

Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: mivaldes] #2902242
10/20/19 08:04 AM
10/20/19 08:04 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Online content
Rickster  Online Content

Georgia, USA
I think most people don't really understand that a piano being an "antique" isn't really a good selling point.

Very true. My late father-in-law owned and ran an antique business/store for many years, after he retired as a truck driver. He and my late mother-in-law would travel the state, and bordering states, going to antique auctions, and estate sales buying authentic antiques for his store. The name of his store was "The Yesteryear Shop". He actually did pretty well with the antique store, until it got harder for him to move the larger, heavier pieces of furniture, etc... until he sold the store and all its contents.

As a result, my late wife bought several antique pieces from her dad. I still own them and admire them. But I learned something about antiques early on... they are beautiful to look at and admire and great conversation pieces, but the majority of them are not meant to be used in the capacity they were to begin with. In fact, a museum is a good place for many antiques, pianos included.

That said, I have owned several old, warn out, acoustic pianos that I had a lot of fun with, and still do. But I much prefer a piano that is some semblance of a playable musical instrument instead of a relic from the past, although the old saloon piano relic has its place. smile

Rick

Re: Don't tell me you can't find a good piano cheap! [Re: Rickster] #2902320
10/20/19 11:51 AM
10/20/19 11:51 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

That said, I have owned several old, warn out, acoustic pianos that I had a lot of fun with, and still do. But I much prefer a piano that is some semblance of a playable musical instrument instead of a relic from the past, although the old saloon piano relic has its place. smile

I used to think that saloon pianos/relics were just absurd - out of tune pianos. Why not tune them? Now I think, like a harpsichord and clavichord, the saloon piano/relic has its place. It's just a different musical instrument and not a modern piano. It's as similar to a modern piano as a banjo is to a ukulele. And like the harpsichord and clavichord, it is for playing its own selection of repertoire, such as classic piano rag. Play classic piano rag on a modern piano, and it is no longer authentic. To be authentic, classic piano rag should be played on the saloon pianos/relics these were written for.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Adult Piano Workshops?
by Bluegrassdog. 11/18/19 02:36 PM
Piano Exams - How good are the pianos?
by OscarRamsey. 11/18/19 01:50 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,172
Posts2,892,416
Members95,017
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission