2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2902001 10/19/19 10:32 AM
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
There is another thread near this one called … ENDLESS DEBATES / HIJACKIED THREADS.

The discussion in there centered about solutions.

One of the suggestions was to report OT threads and allow management to handle it.

Some suggested letting members give "gentle" reminders when they see a thread getting hijacked.

It is my belief that self policing does not work because the offenders just cannot help themselves …. they like to get their thoughts out there and discuss and or argue about things almost endlessly.

Members tend to just let it go and move on and any discussion they were about to contribute is lost.

I offer the ENDLESS DEBATES / HIJACKED THREADS thread as exhibit 1 demonstrating that tendency.

It is now hopelessly HIJACKED and is meandering around with various topics and arguments.

That is what happens with self policing.

Those involved with the hijacking will tell us that the thread was already dead when they participated.

I say ….. You do not know that.

But even if it was …. why not let it retain its' identity for later viewing and perhaps even another post some time down the road ?

There is no justification for HIJACKING.

It is rude, thoughtless, and self-centered and someone needs to say it, so I am.

You wish to argue about your personal philosophies ? Start a thread and have at it.

What gives you the right to take over someone else's thread ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #2902007 10/19/19 10:43 AM
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
It's the internet, no-one really owns anything. Free conversation tends to be organic. If you want things to stay strictly on topic, I recommend reading books...

dmd #2902012 10/19/19 10:50 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Some thoughts:

• One person cannot hijack a thread, it would require at least two participants to derail it.
  • Nobody owns a thread. Someone started it, but that does not bestow ownership
  • If the forum software allowed it, the thread starter could be given the exclusive right to fork off a post into a separate thread, thereby making the thread starter the local moderator.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
dmd #2902021 10/19/19 11:14 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Going off topic in a thread can be so much fun! I think it is totally fine, especially once the OT has got enough answers. It often feels as if those who engage in the derailment of a topic have a good time, joking around a bit. I am happy for them even though I don't often participate. This is not work. An internet forum is not a serious thing.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
I don't think it's a problem.

dmd #2902046 10/19/19 12:16 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That other thread has become an echo chamber now - they are just talking to themselves and to hear the echo. Soon they will be over here...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
That other thread has become an echo chamber now - they are just talking to themselves and to hear the echo. Soon they will be over here...

Sam

Hi everyone!

Oh, sorry... I'll go back over there, now... blush

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
dmd #2902058 10/19/19 01:03 PM
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
My solution is I stop reading and I move to the next thread.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Serge88

I think it's as simple as that. One can easily choose what to read and not. I certainly don't read every post here, more like scan and hope the important things stand out. Perhaps it's a flaw on my end, but I almost scan everything now that is written on the web, and pull out what I'm interested in or need. Reading a book is different thing altogether, but I think you get the point.

There is also a ignore feature here. You can choose to mute posts from those that you aren't interested in.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I don't think it's a problem.

I agree.
Although sometimes I think we could use more "hi" (or even "high" if you prefer) and less "jack."

Learner
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

I think it's as simple as that. One can easily choose what to read and not. I certainly don't read every post here, more like scan and hope the important things stand out. Perhaps it's a flaw on my end, but I almost scan everything now that is written on the web, and pull out what I'm interested in or need. Reading a book is different thing altogether, but I think you get the point.

There is also a ignore feature here. You can choose to mute posts from those that you aren't interested in.

+2. No one is forcing us to read every single word.

[Linked Image]
dmd #2902068 10/19/19 01:17 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
A lot of the time it's OK, but not always. I've seen new members ask a question, the thread wanders off into the 'wild blue yonder' and that's the last we hear of the new member. It should be self-policing, though, unless PW want to recruit extra mods who are ready to pounce. Of course some off-topic comments really do add life and interest to threads and make them fun - unfortunately the problem is that somebody looking for help / a discussion may not find them so.

It's the interminable 'yes it is, no it isn't' stuff that I find gets wearing, as demonstrated in that thread - and avoiding getting sucked into that requires restraint, but when people feel passionately about something.... I just don't bother to read a lot of comments when they appear to be going in that direction.

It's all a matter of balance, and that's something only those taking part can control - unless, of course, we have a 'big brother' watching every thread. Most of the time things work well here in my opinion, and when they don't I just ignore the thread - although I guess it could be entertaining to read on a rainy day, seeing who said what to whom....

regards
Pete
dmd #2902070 10/19/19 01:21 PM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I laughed thru the whole skimming of the last page of the other hijacking thread. I didn't *read* that page - heavens, what a waste that would be! But I laughed - the entertainment value of the irony of it becoming it's own topic was worth a minute or two laugh

As long as it's not getting vituperative the hijacks don't bother me at all. I find mean/rude posts getting in the way of *me* discussing a topic annoying, but that doesn't happen often here in the ABF. And it may or may not bother others. The only time, for me, a moderator needs to get involved is if a particular poster is mean/rude in many different threads.

But obviously that's my own opinion. I'm with several others here, tho - if it bothers you, move on.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
dmd #2902079 10/19/19 02:14 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm doin' just the same. Keep it running, guys . . . . but it's always better when the verbal pugilistics begin in earnest. When the mothers are brought into it.
Just love it!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
dmd #2902082 10/19/19 02:23 PM
Online Content
If you go out to dinner with some friends, does the conversation always stay on one specific topic? I think the only problem is when someone hijacks a thread after only a couple of posts. That has only happened once or twice to me.

dmd #2902095 10/19/19 03:58 PM
J
J

Off topic posts rarely bother me because they are a natural human thing to do. Conversations meander in real life for a reason. Often the meandering is more interesting and helpful. As long as the original post is addressed I see little harm in it. It’s certainly not something worth reporting in my opinion, unless someone is being egregiously disrespectful. And I think most posters here are courteous enough to stop if someone asks them politely. Self policing is the best policy and has the added benefit of not wasting the time and energy of the moderators unnecessarily over trivial matters.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
dmd #2902104 10/19/19 04:27 PM
B
B
I believe I've hijacked my own threads more than a few times over the years, going completely OT (talking about Quantum Theory, the Milky Way etc when I should have been discussing my Péchés de vieillesse).

Unfortunately, it's impossible to put myself on 'Ignore' cry.........so I just ignore my own posts by sheer will power thumb.

It doesn't work very well........

If music be the food of love, play on!
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

+2. No one is forcing us to read every single word.

+1

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
dmd #2902143 10/19/19 06:50 PM
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
The problem with hijacked threads is that if you quit reading the echo chamber (as Sam S so aptly called it) how will you know if the hijack ends and the topic reverts to the original? I guess you don’t, which is a shame. I don’t mind a hijack when it is a discussion—-but I find irritating and disrespectful when there is no discussion but a couple of posters who bicker over and over and over again, fulling knowing there are irreconcilable differences but not being willing to stop posting.

PW has a PM function which seems appropriate in this circumstance.

D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dogperson
PW has a PM function which seems appropriate in this circumstance.

What would that be ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission