2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
54 members (Burkey, 1957, 36251, bobrunyan, Beowulf, 16 invisible), 447 guests, and 481 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The action of my NU1X is driving my wife crazy
iLogic #2901592 10/18/19 10:54 AM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Probably not an ideal idea, but.. maybe you could adjust the touch sensitivity so your touch will be softer, which would mean less key noise?

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Gombessa #2901593 10/18/19 10:55 AM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Gombessa
One of the benefits of a "pure digital action" is that they can (and are) engineered to be much more silent than acoustic actions. If you do end up exchanging out the NU1X (or getting a separate silent practice piano), I'd recommend looking into the Kawai wooden key options, like the MP11SE. The Kawai Grand Feel action is head and shoulders quieter than any other digital action I've tried (especially after a year or so of play/wear).

Yes, the CS11 I had was eerily quiet. A bit squishy but the result was an extremely quiet action.

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000 |
iLogic #2901601 10/18/19 11:13 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
As already mentioned there are digitals with slightly quieter actions. But they are not going be a satisfactory solution to either you or your wife. Put the DP in another room, if it’s not already, shut the door when practising, and isolate the sound through the feet/floor following the suggestions already made. After that, well, its divorce, piano or wife.

iLogic #2901612 10/18/19 11:28 AM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Or.. you could bring up something she does that drives you crazy, and demand she stops doing that. Carefully pick something that's important to her so she surely won't give it up, and you might be able to work out a deal.

magicpiano #2901614 10/18/19 11:31 AM
L
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by magicpiano
Has anyone thought of soundproofing walls in the piano room?

In New York City, my chances of getting a dedicated piano room are slim to none. In a one bedroom apartment, you can hear the piano clearly in all rooms, so be it. That makes it easier for my wife to follow along, haha.

In the film, João, o Maestro, he buys a wooden practice keyboard and commences to clack away, probably pretty similar to how the NU1X sounds when played silently. In one scene, his servant comes in and tells him that the neighbors hate all of that clacking noise. So, he goes out and buys a concert grand and starts practicing out loud. The servant comes in again and tells him that the neighbors can't hear him well enough, could he open the windows? I don't know if any of this is true, but it is funny.

In an article in the New York Times, it was reported that Murray Perahia's downstairs neighbor complained about his practicing and Murray said, well, it's my life, and I have a concert tonight!

All week, we've had noise from construction guys building metal scaffolding on the front of a nearby building. My piano playing is an improvement over that racket!

iLogic #2901638 10/18/19 12:04 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
If you have the piano on a hardwood floor, and in case you haven't tried this, get sorbothane pads to put under the feet. My wife was similarly complaining, and it turned out the action noise was getting amplified by the floor. I added sorbothane pads under the feet and suddenly the noise was hardly noticeable. Now, this was on an N1X, I'm not sure how much noisier the NU1X is, but it was startling difference and the action is much quieter than I realized once the hardwood resonator was gone laugh

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
iLogic #2901645 10/18/19 12:10 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A present for your wife ...?

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Chrispy #2901646 10/18/19 12:11 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Chrispy
Now, this was on an N1X, I'm not sure how much noisier the NU1X is

If the N1X is like the N1, the action noise is pretty similar to the NU1X. Great to hear the sorbothane pads made a noticeable difference!

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Chrispy #2901649 10/18/19 12:13 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
If you have the piano on a hardwood floor, and in case you haven't tried this, get sorbothane pads to put under the feet. My wife was similarly complaining, and it turned out the action noise was getting amplified by the floor. I added sorbothane pads under the feet and suddenly the noise was hardly noticeable. Now, this was on an N1X, I'm not sure how much noisier the NU1X is, but it was startling difference and the action is much quieter than I realized once the hardwood resonator was gone laugh

Are sorbothane pads better than coaster pads? Or do you use both?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2901665 10/18/19 12:58 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

My coaster pads have sorbothane on the botton of them (perhaps not branded, but the same sort of dampening foam.) I think I've linked them before and you found a UK source? Same ones.

https://amzn.com/B07FTFHGGL

Last edited by Chrispy; 10/18/19 01:00 PM.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Chrispy #2901667 10/18/19 01:02 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

My coaster pads have sorbothane on them (perhaps not branded, but the same sort of dampening foam.) I think I've linked them before and you found a UK source? Same ones.

Ah yes. I ordered those and now have them, but I didn't realise they already had sorbothane in them. I thought you were talking about separate pads, because you can get sorbothane in just a pad form-factor too.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
iLogic #2901676 10/18/19 01:25 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
I would note that sorbothane isn't just a normal foam/cushion. It's an incredibly effective noise/motion damper, since it supposedly takes motion energy and converts it to heat. You have to get the right type of sorbothane cushion for the given weight for it to be effective, but it works really well in isolating vibration (the thumping energy from DPs that travels through the action, chassis, down the stand and into the floors). Of course it doesn't do much for the actual noise caused by the action mechanism (and for really heavy DPs like hybrids, the noise from vibration isn't as prominent). Just mentioning since you want to make sure whatever pads/coasters you get actually have the real stuff in them.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
EssBrace #2901729 10/18/19 02:43 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Yeah, my wife is a definite no on any sort of practice short of performances.

Why is it her place to say "no"?! Do what you want (as no doubt she does).

I have to smile when I read threads like this. As if these wives are ruling all you cowering jellies with a rod of iron. Just grow a pair and tell these wives you're going to practise (or do whatever) and if they don't like it, tough.

I don't have a wife. If you were wondering grin

A pair of what? Females, being dominant now (upheld by law, every time) would resent my "double d's" supposing that's what grew . . . the problem would be worse, not better.
Tattoos might be the answer. Big ones . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
iLogic #2901733 10/18/19 03:01 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You can easily mask the action noise:
- buy a cheap stereo system (or just use a laptop instead) and play some quiet music or relaxing nature sounds. It will not interfere with your headphones;
- in NYC just open window slightly - the street noise should overcome your practice noise easily unless on a very high story.

Last edited by VladK; 10/18/19 03:02 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
iLogic #2901749 10/18/19 03:46 PM
I
iLogic Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I can’t move it somewhere else, every other room is full and besides, we want it in the living room because it’s just so damn beautiful and vital for the living room.

A divorce seems extreme. Before going that route, the sorbothane pads seems like a less complicated thing to try. Will have a go at that first wink

If I were to get another piano, I couldn’t leave Yamaha. The binaural CFX is a must. So I’d probably get a CLP 745 or something since that’s probably out by then.
, and probably as quiet as the 645 which is ok in that regard. That would sacrifice the great feel of the action of the NU1X though, but it’s a compromise.

VladK #2901755 10/18/19 04:00 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by VladK
You can easily mask the action noise:
- buy a cheap stereo system (or just use a laptop instead) and play some quiet music or relaxing nature sounds. It will not interfere with your headphones;
- in NYC just open window slightly - the street noise should overcome your practice noise easily unless on a very high story.

LOL. While it is certainly true that the street noise can be overwhelming in many apartments in New York, this is not true if you live in the back of the building, as I do. Actually, I don't hear cars at all. The guys throwing steel on the ground, as they erect their scaffolding, are a relatively rare disturbance. Noise varies depending on neighborhood and whether you live on an avenue or a side street.

I lived on the eighteen floor in midtown and I could hear conversations on the street, including screams from drunks, noise from all night garbage pickup, and illegal construction. Not quite high enough.

There was a guy playing ball with his German Shepherd in the back courtyard of the next building every morning at 5:30am. That was a bit annoying. If only I could get him to move play time up to 6:00am, he would be the perfect alarm clock.

So, my piano can clearly be heard above the din.

Last edited by LarryK; 10/18/19 04:07 PM.
iLogic #2901772 10/18/19 04:28 PM
I
iLogic Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Having searched a bit on the sorbothane pads, that would look weird (if it would even work) with the NU1X, especially mine which is white.

iLogic #2901807 10/18/19 05:38 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by iLogic
Having searched a bit on the sorbothane pads, that would look weird (if it would even work) with the NU1X, especially mine which is white.

white paint

[Linked Image]

iLogic #2901845 10/18/19 07:13 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by iLogic

This is a recent purchase isn't it. I seem to remember you posting a great picture of it. Hopefully you can find a way to keep it. Good luck.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, dabling with PianoTeq
Tyrone Slothrop #2901914 10/19/19 04:07 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM
I find I'm too self conscious. My best practise happens when I'm using my headphones, without any worry that this constant repetition of this short phrase I can't quite get right is going to drive anyone nuts or not.

When practising without headphones I inevitably stop that focussed effort sooner than I should.

Same. I often will play the same phrase 50+ times in a row. Sometimes, I will get 2 notes into the phrase and restart. Not to mention as I said, scales. I think practicing without headphones around other people is selfish whether or not they like piano.

*looks at the flute*
Yeah.. I know how that feels. I always shy away from repeating a passage too often in fear of my neighbor putting his fist through the wall. laugh

DP players have it easy. Play at all times, practice / repeat as much as you want ...

Last edited by Granyala; 10/19/19 04:08 AM.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 7 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cleaning up 100 year old ebony finishes
by jkess114 - 12/03/20 08:58 AM
upright piano looks like a grand piano
by Maximillyan - 12/03/20 08:14 AM
VST and Kawai CA99
by Pianuslongus - 12/03/20 07:49 AM
Best Recording For Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 12/03/20 05:23 AM
Any info on Alfonsi pianos?
by Ubu - 12/03/20 03:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,229
Posts3,029,973
Members99,460
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission