Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
129 registered members (Animisha, Antihero, accordeur, anotherscott, Blague, AlphaBravoCharlie, 27 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2900810
10/16/19 11:54 AM
10/16/19 11:54 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Great Sonata, Morodiene, enjoyed it. Sounded every bit as good as the recent professional recitals I've been to at the local Steinway Hall.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2901094
10/17/19 04:06 AM
10/17/19 04:06 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline

Germany
Thanks, Jytte and cmb13, for listening and your very kind comments. Yes, you are right, the original Abba recording is a bit slower. Regarding my recording equipment, there is no more than just a MIDI-out cable, my notebook and the software. The reverb from Audacity improved the recording quality a lot.

Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2901095
10/17/19 04:08 AM
10/17/19 04:08 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline

Germany
04 Tim – Slatter op 72 (Grieg) How very interesting. Grieg’s late works do not seem to be romantic any more, and the sounds are somewhat unusual. I would not have expected #6 to be by Grieg.

07 Ganddalf – Halsning (Peterson-Berger) What a beautiful piece! It is definitely a gem. Your rendition is fantastic. As far as I know, Peterson-Berger was also a music reviewer and often not very kind towards other composers, so he got the nickname “Peterson-Ärger” (“Peterson-Trouble”). So your experience is 636 months… I had to calculate how many years that is.

13/14 Tim – 3 pieces op 59 (Carl Nielsen) I do appreciate that you did not focus on the usual “hits” of Nordic classical music (like me) and had the “courage” to present somewhat dissonant and more modern music. Needless to say that you are a fantastic and very professional pianist.

21 Morodiene – Sonata in F, 2nd movement (Sibelius) Mistakes? Where? I loved your rendition of this romantic piece of music that combines solemn and melancholic parts with rejoicing sections. Great performance!

22 PikaPianist – Petite Sérénade op 40 no 9 (Sibelius) Marvellous! I saw the stars twinkle. The treble notes of your piano sound fantastic. Also, that very soft bass note at 1:58 is so captivating… I have listened to your recording 3 times.

Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2901099
10/17/19 04:34 AM
10/17/19 04:34 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
I really enjoyed listening to the pieces presented here. Some of it is known stuff for me, but I was really surprised hearing so many fine piano compositions by people I never heard about. Being a local I'll try to comment on all entries of this recital. Of course I have my own ideas about how music from this part of the world should sound, but I'm not an expert - I'll just give my personal opinion about your performances.

01. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Valse lente, Op. 33
This was a very beautiful waltz, but I don’t think I heard it before. The beginning reminds me of the first of the 8 valses poeticos of Granados, but Merikanto’s waltz develops differently. I enjoyed your performance. Your Sauter has a beautiful sound.
02. Pianist685 (Constantin) - The Winner Takes It All
A very good arrangement of this ABBA hit. Quite pianistic, actually, and it is obvious to me that this is music you feel home with. Very well played.
03. Tim Adrianson - Romance Op 24, #9 (to do)
My knowledge about the piano pieces of Sibelius is very limited, and I’m more familiar with some of his orchestral music. I think, however, that I can spot resemblances between this early piece and some of his more famous compositions. Your performance is, as always, beautiful and brilliant.
04. Tim Adrianson - Slatter, Op 72 #s 6, 8, 10, 13, 17 (to do)
Grieg’s Slåtter are generally considered to be to technically and musically demanding for most amateurs. I have played #8 myself, but I really struggled making music out of it. I’m really impressed that you were able to play and record 5 of them. You have no problems with the technical challenges and have come far capturing the Norwegian character of the pieces. Impressive work.
08. Tim Adrianson - Piano Sonata #1 (Christ and the Fishermen) (to do)
My experience with Einojuhani Rautavaara is limited to a choir work from the time I was a member of the boys’ choir of the Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim. It was pretty demanding for us, and I expected that his piano sonata would be demanding for my ears. Therefore, I was surprised when I heard your recording. It is definitely a very fine composition. His musical language reminds me a little of certain pieces by Cyrill Scott. Once again, I’m impressed. Learning a piece with this modern musical language takes a lot of effort, but your performance is very convincing.

Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2901305
10/17/19 01:53 PM
10/17/19 01:53 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
Of all the recitals I've heard, this one has the highest overall level of playing (looking at the bios of the contributors, there's considerable experience across the board.) You all should join together and try to get this published as an album, it's that good!

Kind of glad I missed the deadline now smile I say that tongue and cheek, I know recitals are for all levels and we don't want intimidate anyone, but it's interesting to see how this particular topic of Nordic composers attracted some of the best among us. Cheers to you all for lovely playing and for helping me discover a lot of music I've never heard!

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2901331
10/17/19 02:53 PM
10/17/19 02:53 PM
F
facdo Offline
facdo  Offline
F

I second Chrispy comment. I was mind blown by the high-quality playing of everyone in this recital. Listening to the recital playlist felt like listening to an album, compiled by some very competent pianists. In that regard I feel like a complete outsider, sharing my amateurish recording among such high-level performances. As I looked down the participant's qualifications, I realize that I was indeed the least experienced player.

I am not going to comment on individual submissions, but I like to say that I will download and save this recital playlist to listen to many, many times. Congratulations to all! And I would like to thank the participants for sharing so many wonderful pieces that I didn't know. There were only 3 pieces that I knew (including my own submission).

YouTube Channel with all my recordings and my piano progress.
Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: Pianist685] #2901340
10/17/19 03:19 PM
10/17/19 03:19 PM
F
facdo Offline
facdo  Offline
F

Originally Posted by Pianist685

19 facdo – Arietta op 12 no 1 (Grieg) It is always amazing how good Kawai (and Yamaha) pianos sound when they are properly tuned and regulated. Your recording has this “wow” effect, it sounds like a professional studio recording. Your rendition is simply wonderful and worthy of a professional pianist. You are able to play the left hand really soft with the melody still being piano; there are so many acoustic instrument where that is not possible. That is one reason why I stick to a VSTi…

Your comment has this "wow" effect. Thank you so much! That particular piece I have worked with my teacher, so I tried to polish it as best as I could. Making the accompaniment as soft as possible was the main challenge, and it is hard to do that in a small piano, because of the restricted dynamic range. That was the best I could do, but when I play in my teacher's piano, which is a grand, I can see that it is possible to impose more distance between the melody and the accompaniment. Hopefully one day I will get a nice grand.
Originally Posted by Jytte
facdo
I my humble opinion, that was beautifully played.

Thank you, I am glad that you liked smile

Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2901341
10/17/19 03:21 PM
10/17/19 03:21 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Online content
2000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T

Hi, folks! As others have mentioned, this was a deeply satisfying e-cital -- a few familiar, most others not so familiar, well-rounded with several Grieg and Sibelius selections, but also others not so well-known, and always well-played, with commitment.

01 Pianist 685 -- A great way to start the e-cital! Evidently the Merikanto Waltz is well-known in Europe, but I've never heard it before -- for me, it had the elegance and grace of a Chopin Waltz, deeply satisfying in its overall effect.

02 Pianist 685 -- This was a really effective piano arrangement of one of ABBA's hits. I confess that I was never deep into "Power Pop", but this was a very enjoyable rendition indeed.

05 Gandalf -- It struck me that Grieg, in the passing Wedding procession, had very much established his special Norwegian voice even in these early works. They were more overtly virtuosic than his subsequent piano music, but there were already the odd harmonic shifts within a framework of a peasant dance. And there were the changes in register, particularly towards the top, adding spice to a folk dance.

06 Gandalf -- It struck me, as with some others in this recital, the emphasis on songfulness -- the evocation of a singer with accompaniment. For me, Kjerulf's "Varsang" sounded not so much like Mendelssohn as it did late Schubert, with its celebration of nature in its varied manifestations.

07 Gandalf -- For me, Peterson-Berger's "Halswig" radiated a very optimistic and warm pragmatic attitude towards the business of living one's life -- a yea-saying mindset that I like to think represents the best of Scandinavian perspective.

10 Snejana -- A very beautiful, poignant rendition of Reinecke's "Elegy" -- it evoked for me the profound laments of Albinoni or Marcello from the pre-Baroque era.

Pat H -- Valborg-Aulin's Valse evoked for me Salon Music from the late 19th- early 20th century -- I'm reminded most of Cecile Chaminade (perhaps because she was also female). It's very well crafted music, but really this type of music is seldom played anymore, although once upon a time there were a host of practitioners, again by composers by and large forgotten as well. A shame? -- well, events of the 20th Century were profound indeed.

More to follow on the 2nd half.

Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: facdo] #2901399
10/17/19 06:18 PM
10/17/19 06:18 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
Originally Posted by facdo
In that regard I feel like a complete outsider, sharing my amateurish recording among such high-level performances. As I looked down the participant's qualifications, I realize that I was indeed the least experienced player.

You sell yourself very short! I've been learning this piece myself and realize how difficult it is to get proper voicing, especially bringing out the melody while controlling the arpeggios between two hands. It is quite difficult and requires a very good ear. I thought your playing was fantastic!

Last edited by Chrispy; 10/17/19 06:19 PM.

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: Chrispy] #2901413
10/17/19 07:17 PM
10/17/19 07:17 PM
F
facdo Offline
facdo  Offline
F

Originally Posted by Chrispy
Originally Posted by facdo
In that regard I feel like a complete outsider, sharing my amateurish recording among such high-level performances. As I looked down the participant's qualifications, I realize that I was indeed the least experienced player.

You sell yourself very short! I've been learning this piece myself and realize how difficult it is to get proper voicing, especially bringing out the melody while controlling the arpeggios between two hands. It is quite difficult and requires a very good ear. I thought your playing was fantastic!

Yes, I think I suffer from the "Impostor Syndrome" in pretty much everything that I delve deep trying to become good at. I think that is because after learning more about something I realize how much more there is to learn and improve on that subject, and I feel that I am always too far from reaching a high level. But you are right, I should appreciate the progress that I have made, which is significant, and stop selling myself short.
Thank you very much for your kind words smile

Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2901494
10/18/19 06:21 AM
10/18/19 06:21 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
09. Tim Adrianson - Slatter og Stev fra Siljustol -- Suite 2, Op 22 (to do)
I’m probably a bit negatively biased when comes to Sæverud’s music. Perhaps because I heard too many mediocre performances of his work during my younger age. I tried to learn a couple of his pieces some years ago, but I wasn’t motivated enough to play them well. This music is somewhat fragile and very musically demanding in my opinion. I can hear form your performance that you have dived into these works and captured the character of them. Fine performance!
10. Snejana - Elegy (to do)
This was a sensitive and emotional performance of a small gem. Beautifully played!
11. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Valse op.8 Nr.2 (to do)
This is one of the Swedish composers I never heard about and I’m glad you shared this piece. It sounds more continental than Nordic to my ears. The waltz is quite brilliant and you definitely show off your technical skills when playing this piece.
12. Tim Adrianson - Sonatin, Op 25 (to do)
I agree that this piece is accessible although it is written in a modern style. I find its character to be cheerful and it was a great treat to listen to your performance.

Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2901512
10/18/19 07:46 AM
10/18/19 07:46 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Online content
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
I don't have the time to comment individually. Just letting you all know I've really enjoyed just listening to the recital. I love the sound of your upright Sauter pianist685. I'm only commenting specifically on that because if I can get an acoustic one day and if it can't be a grand I think I've got my heart set on a Sauter.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2901550
10/18/19 09:19 AM
10/18/19 09:19 AM
T
Tim Adrianson Online content
2000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T

Hi, folks! My second half commentary:

15 Pianist685 -- "Folkevise" is a fairly well-known piece from his first set of "Lyric Pieces", a model he returned to every couple of years for his entire compositional career. Even here, you have the piquant harmonizations and unexpected harmonic shifts that were uniquely Grieg's.

16 Cocorbett -- For me, "Aspens" was a fascinating listen -- I don't know Sibelius's piano music, or really his music in general -- and so I was taken by the darkness of the music, its occasional strange harmonies, its overall disquieting atmosphere, in spite of its overall conventional musical line. A nice rendition!

17 Pianist685 -- "Sommeraften" is a Lyric Piece from the other end of Grieg's compositional career -- a wonderful sense of atmosphere, expertly rendered with a beautiful piano sound. Kudos!

18 Sam S -- "Notturno" is an often played piece from the early mid-period of Grieg's journey in his "Lyric Pieces". And with good reason -- it is especially evocative in its depiction of benevolent sounds in the nighttime hours. Those 4 against 6 passages are nasty indeed, aren't they? Well-managed rendition -- one can feel the effort that went into this performance.

19 facdo -- This for me was the finest performance in the recital -- just a beautiful, tender realization of Grieg's early "Arietta". Bravo!

20 Pianist685 -- "Vals" is for me another early example of Grieg's ability to capture the sense of "Norwegianness" so well. For some reason, I was reminded of early Granados in this piece -- another composer who did for Spain much like Grieg did for Norway.

21 Morodiene -- Again, I don't know Sibelius's work well, and so this performance of the middle movement in his Sonata was very instructive. Like "Aspens", I found this work dark and disquieting -- the dance in the upper registers heightened the strangeness more than providing cheerful relief. Would love to hear the whole thing -- thanks for introducing this!

22 Pika Pianist -- The "Serenade" was just that -- a straightforward song, loaded with delightful details. I agree that the "trill section" was the most effective touch in the piece. And, of course, beautifully performed, with great piano sound.

23 Juke -- I had not previously heard of Heino Kaski at all -- for me, this piece fell squarely in the realm of late 19th century Romanticism, and reminded me most of the American Edward McDowell, who, if I recall, wrote an entire suite of "sea pieces". Very well crafted music, and nicely presented.

My thanks to everybody who shared their talents, with music that rarely gets heard -- most appreciated!

Last edited by Tim Adrianson; 10/18/19 09:24 AM.
Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: KevinM] #2901709
10/18/19 02:11 PM
10/18/19 02:11 PM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
Your Sauter has a beautiful sound.

Originally Posted by KevinM
II love the sound of your upright Sauter pianist685. I'm only commenting specifically on that because if I can get an acoustic one day and if it can't be a grand I think I've got my heart set on a Sauter.

Yes, Sauter pianos usually have a beautiful sound, so has mine, though it is only an old 108 cm upright. But sorry to disappoint you, I did not record the acoustic part of my instrument. What you hear is the sampled sound of the software piano Galaxy Vintage D which sounds even better, and with that connected to the MIDI output from my silent system I can get an even wider range of dynamics. The fact that you thought to hear an acoustic recording convinces me even more now that playing a VSTi with the proper settings is superior to what you can achieve on many acoustic pianos.

Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2902213
10/20/19 04:36 AM
10/20/19 04:36 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
After some hardcore practice it’s time to enjoy all the good playing you people recorded. My special thanks to Tim for always working so hard to make sure the recitals have a lot of substance. And my apologies for not submitting anything. I just managed to memorize a piece by a Finnish composer, but it’s a bit too late…

Wonderful expressive playing! This piece is one that everyone in Finland knows and I too have played it. Your interpretation is very appropriate and exactly like I imagine the piece to be if I could play it properly.

02. Pianist685 (Constantin) - The Winner Takes It All
Well done! Abba always brings back memories from my youth 😊 And I’m really impressed by you arranging this yourself…

03. Tim Adrianson - Romance Op 24, #9
I find much of Sibelius piano music a bit boring, although there are also real gems among them. This was skillful playing as always that I enjoyed listening, although I don’t think much of this piece.

04. Tim Adrianson - Slatter, Op 72 #s 6, 8, 10, 13, 17
Such a nice set of very interesting pieces that I wasn’t familiar with.

05. Ganddalf - Brudefolget drar forbi - Passing of the Bridal Procession
Clearly you know this stuff. Excellent playing with a very Norwegian charachter. I missed the flaws you mention smile

06. Ganddalf - Varsang (Spring song)
As usual great playing. Interesting unfamiliar composition. It does sound a bit German, but I guess the spring feelings are universal in the upper parts of Europe 😊

07. Ganddalf - Halsning (Greeting)
Always lovely to hear new piano music so competently played!

08. Tim Adrianson - Piano Sonata #1 (Christ and the Fishermen)
I guess you can play anything…wow. I love modern piano music. I preferred to ignore the backstory and just listen to the sounds and harmonics. It was very enjoyable. I will have to listen to this one again.

More to come later…

Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2902223
10/20/19 06:11 AM
10/20/19 06:11 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
09. Tim Adrianson - Slatter og Stev fra Siljustol -- Suite 2, Op 22
I liked the slightly modern twist on the pieces a lot.

10. Snejana - Elegy
I don’t mind at all your broad definition of Nordic 😊
Good playing!

11. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Valse op.8 Nr.2
Sweet happy valse and excellent playing!

12. Tim Adrianson - Sonatin, Op 25
I did not really like this piece, but your playing is always worth listening!

13. Tim Adrianson - Three Pieces, Op 59 #s 1 and 2
14. Tim Adrianson - Three Pieces, #3
Now this set I really liked, another one that I need to listen to again! Your playing gave me goosebumps… Thank you for transporting me to a cool place 😊

15. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Folkevise (Folksong) Op. 1 No. 5
This is a nice lyric piece… sounds a bit chopinisque to me. Lovely playing!

16. Cocorbett - Aspen Op. 75 No. 3
Aspen is a lovely tree! You did good and I did not mind the pedaling at all.

I will finish listening later, must get something to eat...

Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2902240
10/20/19 07:51 AM
10/20/19 07:51 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
M
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
M

Boynton Beach, FL
I enjoyed hearing this piece - it did sound familiar! I like how you played it to, it seemed to suit the style well.

02. Pianist685 (Constantin) - The Winner Takes It All Wehn I was listening, I wasn’t looking at the name of it, and so I thought it was Abba! Well played!

03. Tim Adrianson - Romance Op 24, #9 If this were orchestrated, it definitely would have a cello solo - that’s how I heard it when you played. Very beautiful and dramatic.

04. Tim Adrianson - Slatter, Op 72 #s 6, 8, 10, 13, 17 I love the quirkiness of this - and it does indeed sound folky.

05. Ganddalf - Brudefolget drar forbi - Passing of the Bridal Procession Grieg always is trickier than it sounds, thanks for playing this piece! I miss hearing Grieg.

06. Ganddalf - Varsang (Spring song) It really does sound like Mendelssohn! Thanks for sharing this gem.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2902263
10/20/19 09:19 AM
10/20/19 09:19 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
M
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline
M

Boynton Beach, FL
07. Ganddalf - Halsning (Greeting) You indeed seem to have an affinity with this composer. There are moments where I feel a touch of Debussy come out. Your playing of this was exquisite!

08. Tim Adrianson - Piano Sonata #1 (Christ and the Fishermen) Thanks for telling us the story, that really helps to understand what’s behind the music. I can definitely feel the tempest and Jesus’ words telling the storm to calm.

09. Tim Adrianson - Slatter og Stev fra Siljustol -- Suite 2, Op 22 I really enjoyed this, especially Her Last Cradle Song - it was so haunting, like something very tragic happened, a sick baby dying. The Ballad of Revolt starts out with something like a song sung by soldiers - such an evocative piece, no wonder it’s so well known of his works.

10. Snejana - Elegy From the first notes I thought I was hearing Clair de Lune! I love Reinecke as a pianist - there are a couple of recordings of him playing on a piano roll on YouTube (but I don’t think we have any of his own works by himself). You play this with just the right sentiment.

11. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Valse op.8 Nr.2 Another hidden gem - I’ve never heard of her, but her work seems worthy of note. Her music doesn’t strike me as Nordic sounded, but very late Romantic European. This music is very appealing and makes me want to check out her other compositions.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2902283
10/20/19 10:18 AM
10/20/19 10:18 AM
F
facdo Offline
facdo  Offline
F

Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson

19 facdo -- This for me was the finest performance in the recital -- just a beautiful, tender realization of Grieg's early "Arietta". Bravo!

Thank you very much!
I also liked your recordings very much, especially the Sibelius Romance, really amazing! That one I had to put in my wishlist, I hope I can play it in a few years (it looks very hard).

Re: Nordic Themed Recital 2019 - General Discussion Room [Re: outo] #2903070
10/22/19 10:31 AM
10/22/19 10:31 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
M
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline
M

Boynton Beach, FL
12. Tim Adrianson - Sonatin, Op 25 I really liked this piece, I think it would be great to teach! How difficult is it, and where can one get a copy of it?

13. & 14. Tim Adrianson - Three Pieces, Op 59 #s 1, 2, and 3 Disquieting is a good word for it, but there’s a certain effectiveness with the gestural content to make it interesting to listen to. Thanks for sharing such rare (to me) works!

15. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Folkevise (Folksong) Op. 12 No. 5 Beautifully played, and I love the sound of your piano as well (I always like the Galaxy Vintage D whenever I hear it and don’t know what I’m listening to. I should just buy it already.)

16. Cocorbett - Aspen Op. 75 No. 3 I think you captured the grandeur of tall trees with your playing. I think the pedaling was just fine for the music.

17. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Sommeraften (Summer's Eve), Op. 71 No. 2 I like your final tempo choice - to me it sounds like the birds and bugs that you hear still at dusk, active in spite of the sun setting and things turning more tranquil.

18. Sam S - Notturno op 54-4 One of my favorite’s of Grieg - this has such an impressionistic sound to it. The hardest part, I find, is to play the chords in the RH while voicing the melody and not have those chords also be forte. I think it’s the polyrhythms that make it tough. Very nice trills, and such a satisfying ending.

19. facdo - Arietta - Op.12 No.1 Thank you for playing this one. You seem to have a clear connection with this piece that allows you to play with such tenderness.

20. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Vals (Waltz) Op. 12 No. 2 Several years ago we did a Grieg Lyric Pieces recital and managed to get all of them performed! These are real treasures that can be easily overlooked in favor of the bigger named composers.

22. PikaPianist - Petite Serenade Op. 40, No. 9 I know what you mean about the repetition with Sibelius, I noticed that as well. I think you managed this extremely well. Lovely playing! I love the poem too. <3

23. Juke - Yo meren rannalla - Night by the sea (Op. 34 nro 1) Another composer I’m not familiar with. When I looked him up on Wiki I found out that he died that same day that Sibelius diet - that was a dark day for music indeed. Thank you for playing this lovely, sad piece.

I just have to say that the quality of playing and the musical selections are top-notch across the board. Thanks to all who participated! If you haven't yet listened, I highly recommend it!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sostenuto pedal made by Renner in uprights ?
by Lady Bird. 11/13/19 07:21 AM
How do you listen to recital tracks: headphones, speakers?
by QuasiUnaFantasia. 11/13/19 04:15 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,057
Posts2,890,326
Members94,955
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission