2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
I always record myself with my iPhone 7 and the quality is not too bad - of course it won't sound as clear as digital or virtual pianos, but I think it's still enjoyable, and maybe more authentic. I also have a Zoom but I never managed to get a good recording of my piano, and didn't bother too much trying different settings and positions. I say, just record yourself with your iPhone, post the video on YouTube and then export the mp3 from the video (easy with Quicktime on a Mac). It will be fine!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I recently recorded playing piano with my violin friend, using a Zoom H4n (borrowed from the library, I still haven't bought one!)

Anyway I had the Zoom up on a tripod, so maybe 5 feet from the floor, and the tripod was sitting maybe four feet back from the piano, recording levels at 72. It sounded pretty good in the piano/violin recording, but the next day when I recorded just piano alone, with basically the same mic location and settings, it somehow sounded a little muffled. So I'm wondering if I'll get better results with a closer positioning.

Originally Posted by Sam S

You could get a Zoom, like the H4n ( I think that’s what I have). I just sit it on the corner of the music desk. I do use Audacity to trim the ends.

Sam

Sam, you have a grand, right? Do you point your Zoom into the piano? Do you put it on the treble side? What do you have the recording level set at?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I recently recorded playing piano with my violin friend, using a Zoom H4n (borrowed from the library, I still haven't bought one!)

Anyway I had the Zoom up on a tripod, so maybe 5 feet from the floor, and the tripod was sitting maybe four feet back from the piano, recording levels at 72. It sounded pretty good in the piano/violin recording, but the next day when I recorded just piano alone, with basically the same mic location and settings, it somehow sounded a little muffled. So I'm wondering if I'll get better results with a closer positioning.

You could get a Zoom, like the H4n ( I think that’s what I have). I just sit it on the corner of the music desk. I do use Audacity to trim the ends.

Sam

Sam, you have a grand, right? Do you point your Zoom into the piano? Do you put it on the treble side? What do you have the recording level set at?

It's a grand. Recorder on the bass side, facing into the piano, lid up. But the microphones on the zoom point up and to the side, so it's not really pointing into the piano. On mine, the mics have a rotating cover that changes the pattern between 90 and 120 degrees - I use 120. Record level around 66, but you should use the highest you can without clipping. I never bother testing that... I sometimes use a tripod out in front of the lid too, when I want to do video and don't want the recorder to be seen.

I don't think there is a magic "one-size-fits-all" formula. Depends on the room, the piano, how loud you play, and non-musical piano noises (action, pedal, bench!). And how much of a perfectionist you want to be. I tend not to obsess over the sound - I have bigger problems to worry about!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

Sam

If you look at MonicaK's video recordings if my assumption is correct you can see where the microphone is directed and her recordings always sound good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijnI_AAR98k

Last edited by KevinM; 10/17/19 09:18 AM.
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I might go for the Chopin 72.1; the Grieg isn't quite ready. I think I could get the Chopin there in a few weeks.

The problem is that it's a huge leap from pretty good to solid enough to record.

Shame I couldn't post it for the Norwegian Recital.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
G
G
I'm going to make my first submission. Maybe Rebikov's "Feuilles d'automne" (Op. 29, No 3).

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Jytte
Originally Posted by wouter79
My teacher disappeared.

Oh My! Did you call the police?

No. I only have his name and a now-defunct email address of him. I contacted the place where we used a (rented) room for the lessons and they say he returned to his home country. Is there anything else I should do then?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
My teacher disappeared.
No. I only have his name and a now-defunct email address of him. I contacted the place where we used a (rented) room for the lessons and they say he returned to his home country. Is there anything else I should do then?

What an odd story. I assume he didn't tell you he would be leaving and you never had a foreshadowing that he would soon be gone. And the defunct email address makes it sound eerie. Like a detective story.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My teacher disappeared.

My comment was actually meant to be a joke. I did not realize that you meant 'disappeared' seriously.
That really is weird.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
My teacher disappeared.

What an odd story. I assume he didn't tell you he would be leaving and you never had a foreshadowing that he would soon be gone. And the defunct email address makes it sound eerie. Like a detective story.

That's correct. We agreed before the summer break that he would contact me after the break to resume lessons. He never did and never replied anymore to my mails

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Greta99
I'm going to make my first submission. Maybe Rebikov's "Feuilles d'automne" (Op. 29, No 3).

I just listened to that on YouTube, that is a nice piece.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Here is our entry. Joy will be playing La Campanella in no time, haha

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Lovely job b-sharp. There is a nice extra depth to the sound when playing duet. I imagine it is another axis of complexity added when doing a duet.

G
G
Originally Posted by Greta99

I just listened to that on YouTube, that is a nice piece.

Yes, and a good choice for a fall recital smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM
Lovely job b-sharp. There is a nice extra depth to the sound when playing duet. I imagine it is another axis of complexity added when doing a duet.

Thanks! It does, but it's not too bad. It's more sight reading practice and fun to do!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I have a backup recording for the recital. I'll be Oz for the first 2 weeks of November so I have to be done by the 30th of October, I can submit from there that isn't a problem. My recording is rough in places, but good enough if I can't do better in the next 11 days.

It is always good to have that first recording. There is just a little less pressure when doing further takes later.

Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
One week until the recital opens for submissions!

Halloween night (Boo!) October 31, at about 9PM Eastern US time, the recital will open for submissions.
You will then have about 2 weeks to get your submission in. You can visit recitals.pianoworld.com to read all about the recitals. Everyone is welcome to participate.
The recital will close at about 6AM November 15 Eastern US time, and go live shortly after.

Go practice!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I do believe I have my recording. It is a long way from how I would like it to be, but there are bits of it I love, and I'm now exhausted and I need to focus on some other things for the next few days. But I'm done and ready to do go.

I suspect I'll actually be somewhere in the air when the recital opens. Perhaps i can submit whilst waiting in Singapore airport.

Kevin

G
Gary001
Unregistered
Gary001
Unregistered
G
I'd planned to polish a piece I've been practising for a while and record it for this recital, but I fear it's still just beyond my reach to get a play through I'm happy with.

As luck would have it though, I've been looking back through the pieces I learned many years ago when I was practising regularly (slacked off for too many years, blame the guitar...) but never made a recording of. Decided to relearn Schumann's Humming Song which according to my logs took me over 3 months to learn properly back then, managed to get it to a reasonable point and recorded in 1.5 weeks this time smile

Hopefully that's a sign of progress. That or I've lowered my standards for "reasonable" smile If only I'd kept up regular practice in the years between then and now :P

Anyhow, for a change I have a recording ready in ample time.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
No pieces are ready yet. I might try to only play the first 3 pages and improvise an ending.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission