2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
I recently bought Roland FP10, just as a controller for Pianoteq and connected Roland DP10 so-called continuous pedal. It has switch allowing to choose '0-1' mode or 'continuous'. When I connect it to FP10 and then use it with Pianoteq, even in continuous mode it sends 3 velocities: 0, ~64, 127.

With Korg Grandstage and DS-1H pedal, I am able to get full range of velocities for sustain.

I'm wondering, is DP10 not actually 'continuous' and sends only 3 velocities, or Roland FP10 is limiting it and sends only those 3 values by MIDI? I cannot test DP10 with Grandstage currently so I would appreciate information from you guys.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
D
D
I was using my DP10 temporarily, while waiting for a Yamaha pedal, as an expression controller on my MODX.
When assigned to controlling the superknob, it appeared to work the full range.....if that helps.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Deltajockey has it right. I tested it as an expression pedal once and behavior sounded continuous.

On a second thoght, it also looked continuous on the LED bargraph of RD2000 zone.

Last edited by EVC2017; 10/17/19 07:45 AM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
DP-10 is definitely continuous for me on my FP-90.

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
So it seems it is FP10 limitation. It's strange: would Roland implement it in a way, that only 3 values are being send? I understand, that internal soundengine might use only 3 values, but external MIDI communication should not be limited. I've reported a bug to Roland, hope to hear from them soon.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie
I've reported a bug to Roland, hope to hear from them soon.

OMG. If you hear back from Roland, please tell us about it! It will be an "event"!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
R
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

OMG. If you hear back from Roland, please tell us about it! It will be an "event"!

Why? They don't like own customers?

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
cornet Olds Ambassador, Hohner harmonicas and melodicas
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RichieBill

Why? They don't like own customers?

I have an official ticket entered and logged into their trouble ticket system. It is 323 days old and I have never gotten one update on it from Roland even though the ticket has my contact info on it including email address, and I confirmed the ticket was in the system.

You are welcome to interpret this if you like.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
When you said "event" did you mean "miracle"?
If you hear back from Roland, please tell us about it! It will be an "event"!

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Dexibell, who are basically ex-Roland Italy, tend to respond very quickly for all kinds of questions and issues. I had the same serivce quality with Casio and Korg as well. I've never had to deal with Yamaha, Kurzweil or Kawai. If what you guys are saying about Roland support is truth I wil be probably left with 'plug-unplug pedal and do the same with USB cable' as my only possible fixing attempt. Or I will just send FP10 for 'warranty' repair as 'half pedalling' is clearly stated in specs (and it currently works as 0/64/127 velocity switch, not proper half-pedalling). I could have bought FP30..

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
When you said "event" did you mean "miracle"?
If you hear back from Roland, please tell us about it! It will be an "event"!

😂

Or I will just send FP10 for 'warranty' repair as 'half pedalling' is clearly stated in specs (and it currently works as 0/64/127 velocity switch, not proper half-pedalling). I could have bought FP30..

Yeah, perhaps you need some sort of stratagem or argument for exchanging your FP10 for an FP30. The FP10 is a real beginners keyboard. You hardly seem to be the complete beginner if you need proper half pedalling.

[Linked Image]

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Yeah, perhaps you need some sort of stratagem or argument for exchanging your FP10 for an FP30. The FP10 is a real beginners keyboard. You hardly seem to be the complete beginner if you need proper half pedalling.

I don't care if they target it as 'beginner' or 'Pro'. I like its action more than RH3 in Korg Grandstage and need it only for VSTs. Also, it's super compact. Let's wait for Roland to respond laugh

I don't understand this. I'm thinking your pedal works as advertised, but are you saying it does not?
... 'half pedalling' is clearly stated in specs (and it currently works as 0/64/127 velocity switch, not proper half-pedalling).
Isn't that "64" the half-pedal point?

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Roland DP10 is a 'continuous' pedal in theory, able to send range of 0-127 velocity levels for sustain. And it apparently does, when used with FP30 for example. When connected to FP10, and then FP10 via USB MIDI to laptop, only single values 0,64,127 are being transmitted.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Roland DP10 is a 'continuous' pedal in theory, able to send range of 0-127 velocity levels for sustain. And it apparently does, when used with FP30 for example. When connected to FP10, and then FP10 via USB MIDI to laptop, only single values 0,64,127 are being transmitted.

MacMacMac is raising the technical and nomenclature point: Is "half"-pedaling just a single half-way point, or is it a range of values?

[Linked Image]

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
This depends on the piano. Yamaha's lower end pianos also have a limited set of MIDI values for the pedal.

Note that the pedal itself doesn't send MIDI values. It just sends voltage readings that are adjusted by a pot. The DP reads the voltage and then decides what MIDI values correspond to it, whether, 0, 1, 2, 25, 64 or 127. So some DPs "support" only one or 2 half-pedal values, others might output a continuous range 0-127. The pedal itself though, can output a continuous voltage "curve" so if you plug it into another DP that supports it, you could have different MIDI behavior from it (more or fewer half-pedal values).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I looked the FP10 up on Roland's French site. Under the 'tech specs' it says:
in English rather than French!
- Pedals:
- Damper (capable of half pedal when optional pedal connected) br />Optional pedal DP-10 (capable of half pedal)

for the FP30
(not in English this time - very odd!)
- Pédales
- Accessory pedal
- Pédale fournie : Sourdine

- Optional pedals
- Damper (capable of continuous detection)
- Pédalier optionnel : Sourdine (à détection continue), Douce (à détection continue),
- Sostenuto (fonction assignable)

Site: https://www.roland.com/fr/products/fp_series/fp-10/
The model numbers are near the top of the page, and the specs can be found by scrolling down to 'TECH SPECS'
it would appear that the FP30 is capable of continuous pedal operation but the FP10 does half-pedal.
It's a problem I came across in trying to interpret DP specs on a French site that I look at regularly (I'll really buy a new DP one of these days, honestly) - sometimes by 'half pedal' they mean continuous, other times literally half-pedal.

regards
Pete
P
P
Maybe FP-10 recognizes 0-127 from the pedal as 0-127 for the internal module but transmits only 3 separate values through midi out or usb port? MIDI implemetation chart isn't really helpful or I can't find that info
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/LX_HP_KF-10_GP_DP_RP102_FP-10_MIDI_Imple_eng04_W.pdf

Can you get different "lengths of decay" on FP-10 when half-pedaling or is this just one value for specific place of the pedal travel?

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by pawelsz
Maybe FP-10 recognizes 0-127 from the pedal as 0-127 for the internal module but transmits only 3 separate values through midi out or usb port?

That is certainly a possibility, but in the few times that situations come up where it could be the case (across numerous DPs), it turns out that the DP handles it internally exactly as the MIDI data would suggest.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Well, I've got response from Roland: 'With the FP-10 that is all you can do.'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission