2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
34 members (ando, BlakeOR, CyberGene, Alex C, Beowulf, AprilE, doctor S, antune, clothearednincompo, 5 invisible), 375 guests, and 529 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
There was a time when I could pop into a cafe and order a cup of coffee. Depending on the establishment, it was either good, very good or rubbish. Now, I'm shown a wall menu with 16 different varieties, some of which are recent inventions.

There was a time when I asked for a tin o' baked beans, and you got Heinz. Porridge, and it was Scott's or Quaker Oats. Bread? Brown or white. Ice Cream? Tub or cone, or wafer sandwich. Nail polish? lipstick? Good grief!!!! Church? Anglican Catholic or Methodist. Bike? Steel, Aluminium or Carbon fibre, (Thief worthy) Mountain or Road? By now you'll know where this is going.

Piano? DP. Or VST and Controller. Which one? . . . . . . . (bangs head against wall, swears. Swears louder, wishes he hadn't banged it on the external corner)

Y'know, I used to sit on the acoustic uptight and play it. Never went out o' tune, never needed maintenance; then again, I wasn't doing Beethoven or Rachmaninov.
I'm not doin' it now, either! I clonk away on my own stuff, and others around Grades 5 or 6, for pleasure and have decided that this is where my future lies. Frees me up for other stuff.

Do I need to play thinking "That doesn't sound right!", adjust, and do the same thing the next day? I've enjoyed my pianos, but with VSTs there's so much choice you can go crazy. I can even go crazy with PTeq Stage, so that's how bad it's become!

I'd love to get back to basics, AP (silent) or DP but now fear I'm too far in. Too critical, too discerning. No, that's obviously not the right word. . . .maybe we just look for faults and are more bothered by them than previously, more influenced by "onwards and upwards!"

If my missus had been like that, she'd never have married me.

Now, it's comin' up to my B'day, so we look for a suitable eatery. You hardly call them cafes, or even restaurants now. Anything but. Bistro's OK, but I want simple fare. Something off the menu for example, that the Titanic ran, on it's maiden (and only) voyage, (without the underwater views) would be fine. Pub food, nicely cooked, with veg. Gone out o' fashion. Gastro-pubs are what we have now. With Chunky Chips.

What have we become? Am I really too old? 'Cos it's gonna get WORSE!!

Last edited by peterws; 10/16/19 01:51 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
So ... what's your message?
(a) There are too many (needless?) choices?
(b) There are too many extraneous things in this life that serve only as distractions from what really matters?
(c) Something else?

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
(d) all of the above

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
By the way Pete how old are you going to be?

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Originally Posted by peterws
... I used to sit on the acoustic uptight and play it.

Haha... "acoustic uptight"... Love it!!

Last edited by camperbc; 10/16/19 02:13 PM.
peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
I'm a Septo . . . . smile in denial.

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I certainly hear you; we used to get something, and then make the most of it. Nowadays, there is very little patience, and stuff does not even get used to its full potential, before it is discarded in favour of something else.

I like having many choices, both for myself, and for the more philosophical point of allowing more diversity in the world. Unfortunately, it seems as if this motion towards ever more choice is being followed by a motion towards ever less appreciation of what we have, and ever less depth.

There will be countermoves in the future. Life is weirdly cyclical.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
What you mean "we" piano man? (said in my best Tanto voice). smile

Humans have a great capacity to adapt to change. Nostalgia is the exact opposite of that adaptability. Nostalgia is a double edged sword. On one hand, we cherish the "good old days" which we often reflect on with rose-colored glasses. On the other hand, we lament the change that the future brings as we perceive our good old days fading into the past. I'm not much for lamenting. I embrace the plethora of choices available to me even if it means a bit more frustration in making the "right" choice. The future is just the next good old days waiting to happen. I was born into the perfect time and place to experience life as massive change occurs. I've never wanted to be in the past or in the future.

If you perceive it's only gonna get worse, it probably will - for you. Maybe "we" can find a different way of looking at it. smile I wish you well in that journey.

Nord Grand, Yamaha YDP-184, Nord Wave 2,
StudioLogic SL88 Grand, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Garritan CFX,
EWPianos QL, Noire/AK/Gentleman/Grandeur/Maverick,
Piano V2, Serum, TE OP-1.
P
P
Going to get Pub Food in the UK was one of my favorite things where I used to travel there in the 90's. Play some darts too. I love some of the new technology, but I don't buy lot's of stuff. I will totally get a nice DP within about 5 years - in addition to a nice acoustic. I am really intrigued by the CVP - it just looks so fun!

I'm a decade behind you Peter. Learning piano made me much more aware of how my brain operates. I figured out this last year that I am happiest when I am in the present - like when learning piano. All the other stuff I don't get the least bit bothered about. Best drug ever!

Cheers!

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I have a friend who furiously scrambles for the past. He spends tens of thousands of dollars buying computers from decades ago. His reason is, life seemed "simpler then."

I revel in the here and now. If I had a time machine, there is no question I would dial it forward a good many years. Maybe even a few thousand.

I try to understand my friend, but I just don't. When did change become bad?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Good presentation on how/why more choice can leave us unhappier than fewer choices would...

https://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice

The only things about the past that I pine for are my youth and health.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I revel in the here and now. If I had a time machine, there is no question I would dial it forward a good many years.

This may be nitpicking, but these two statements seem contradictive: if you were reveling in the here and now, why would you ever bother going forward in time?

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
I revel in the here and now. If I had a time machine, there is no question I would dial it forward a good many years.

This may be nitpicking, but these two statements seem contradictive: if you were reveling in the here and now, why would you ever bother going forward in time?

Thanks. I should restate- I revel in the present and what is yet to come. The past in and of itself, doesn't hold as much meaning for me, however, the inspired creations of the past (musical works, art, etc.) do hold a lot of meaning.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A lot of hobbies are like this, but probably none more so than the world of midi piano players. You get the ridiculousness of $200 gold plated audio cables combined with the wine sipping 4 hour discussions of recreating the Horowitz tone colour, and then throw in some argument about RAM timing and SATA configuration for good measure. It's the perfect storm.

It's fun in it's own way I'm sure but probably a rabbit hole best avoided if your goal is primarily to just play piano.

peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AndrewJCW
A lot of hobbies are like this, but probably none more so than the world of midi piano players. You get the ridiculousness of $200 gold plated audio cables combined with the wine sipping 4 hour discussions of recreating the Horowitz tone colour, and then throw in some argument about RAM timing and SATA configuration for good measure. It's the perfect storm.

It's fun in it's own way I'm sure but probably a rabbit hole best avoided if your goal is primarily to just play piano.

I'd say this is a good description. Progress can, of course, be excellent. It's motivated, accelerated by need, greed, finances - and war.
Unfortunately, the British piano and furniture manufacturers who built the Hurricanes and Lancaster Bombers of WW2 don't even make pianos or furniture any longer.
I don't have a longing so much for the past. Just reflecting that perhaps, the overwhelming choices available at every level, every turn, can prevent us enjoying the here and now.
I like playing piano, writing songs, books, painting pictures on my old Windows 7 Q-book. And plying the hills around my town on my non carbon fibre bike. And steam trains still charge up and down the main lines through my town. With the increased cost of service trains, they're almost up for commercial competition.
But it's a pain seeing so many food products; the nature, and taste of which I never heard of. Too many to get through in this life!
It is a wonderful time to be around, no doubt about it esp. if you're retired and in decent health. Others no longer with us would say the same about the roaring twenties, etc etc.
But me and 'er both reckon keeping it simple frees up so much wasted time. And nobody argues with 'er!
Oh, and I forgot to say. I got an excellent setting for the PT Petrof which I hope will see me through tomorrow at least . . .

Last edited by peterws; 10/16/19 06:20 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
M
M
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

(I've forgotten who I've stolen that from)

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

[Linked Image]
The first thing I thought of when seeing the topic of this thread:

...they don't make music like that any more. :\

Cheers,
James
x

ps. Full set from JB's performance: here.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Good presentation on how/why more choice can leave us unhappier than fewer choices would...

https://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice

I enjoyed this. And closely identified with his conclusions.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
When did change become bad?

When it achieved almost no tangible benefit for anyone. Change for the sake of it. Change that exists only so someone can claim they changed something. Change that unsettles people and makes them feel insecure. Change that alters peoples' relationships with each other for the worse. Change that requires unnecessary and time consuming learning just so the change can happen.

That's when.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Should I buy this Hazelton Bros Piano?
by siniarch - 04/14/21 01:29 AM
Not sure which piano to buy need some help.
by Artdealer718 - 04/14/21 01:21 AM
Appraising a piano?
by jsilva - 04/13/21 09:18 PM
Bleeding edge synth tech c.1980 for Rush
by newer player - 04/13/21 08:36 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,272
Posts3,082,150
Members101,182
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission