2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 54 of 108 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 107 108
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
New facebook group for Piano Marvel users only wink

https://www.facebook.com/groups/672043789950634/

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
H
H
sweet. just sent my request to join.

currently on the 4A books on Piano Marvel
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
How is everybody doing? Still studying in PM? I have been stuck for some time in level 4B "Scarborough fair" I discovered by accident yesterday that I could do much better without the accompaniment music ... went from 43% to 95%. Now I hope to make progress in method again smile .

Last edited by Sarah65; 10/09/19 11:04 AM.

3-E 17 method, 3-E 8 technique. I've been slowed down quite a bit by learning to play with 'loose' wrists. If I just put in the time without wondering how far behind I'm getting, then I'm fine.

Some of the exercises with key changes make me wonder if I am even capable of getting this down. If you learn a melody or a scale on the guitar, then a key changes just means the whole mess moves up or down the neck. The fingers pretty much do the same thing. But on the piano it's pure torture. All I can really say is I'm not smart enough to give up...

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TomInCinci
All I can really say is I'm not smart enough to give up...

Or, you're too smart to give up! thumb

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by TomInCinci

Some of the exercises with key changes make me wonder if I am even capable of getting this down. If you learn a melody or a scale on the guitar, then a key changes just means the whole mess moves up or down the neck. The fingers pretty much do the same thing. But on the piano it's pure torture. All I can really say is I'm not smart enough to give up...

I understand what you mean, the first note you have to hit is still successful, but the other 4 fingers are lost...
Here in Belgium we have a funny song with the text:
"We will continue ... We want to continue
It makes no sense to go back
No, we must continue
Even when we go through the hurricane
Should we continue?
We must continue until we reach the hole, we will continue ... etc."
I always sing that when I try to get ahead hopelessly again in PM. laugh

H
H
nearly finished with 2e. Just 4 exercises to go.

currently on the 4A books on Piano Marvel
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sarah65
How is everybody doing? Still studying in PM? I have been stuck for some time in level 4B "Scarborough fair" I discovered by accident yesterday that I could do much better without the accompaniment music ... went from 43% to 95%. Now I hope to make progress in method again smile .

Yes I'm still with PM but I only do sight-reading exercise, I do 10 minutes a day with book Sight-Reading & Harmony Grade 3-4.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

M
M
Just come back from a week's holiday and back on it. Really enjoying the structured learning of Piano Marvel and now in the middle of the 4A Technique and Method sections.
I used to do Technique then Method but am now working through both together so I can switch from one to the other when I reach a part that is taking a lot of time and I want a brief break from it.
Also going through the ABRSM Grade Exercise books, which I recently spotted in the library during one of Josh's Facebook videos. I am on the second one of those which is a nice way to continue practicing the scales appearing in the technique sections.
And lastly a sight reading test once a week but stuck below about 280 on those. I tried the Bach Scholar Sight Reading and Harmony books but find them too hard so sight reading is something I need to work on.

Kawai Novus NV10S
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by matthew28
Just come back from a week's holiday and back on it. Really enjoying the structured learning of Piano Marvel and now in the middle of the 4A Technique and Method sections.
I used to do Technique then Method but am now working through both together so I can switch from one to the other when I reach a part that is taking a lot of time and I want a brief break from it.
Also going through the ABRSM Grade Exercise books, which I recently spotted in the library during one of Josh's Facebook videos. I am on the second one of those which is a nice way to continue practicing the scales appearing in the technique sections.
And lastly a sight reading test once a week but stuck below about 280 on those. I tried the Bach Scholar Sight Reading and Harmony books but find them too hard so sight reading is something I need to work on.

There is something new in PM, "Piano Marvel Sight-Reading". They are all the SASR songs, arranged per level ... and it is really nice to repeat everything again. Great practice for sight reading, and not so hard as Bach Scholar Sight Reading and Harmony wink

M
M
There is something new in PM, "Piano Marvel Sight-Reading". They are all the SASR songs, arranged per level ... and it is really nice to repeat everything again. Great practice for sight reading, and not so hard as Bach Scholar Sight Reading and Harmony wink

I had noticed those in another recent Josh video but hadn't got round to trying them. I will now. Thank you.

Kawai Novus NV10S
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Really, I don't see it, where is it ?

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Serge88

Really, I don't see it, where is it ?

Type "Piano Marvel" in the search box of the library and it will be listed first.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for sharing where the PM sight-reading songs are; by grade & level. Nice find!

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
M
M
Originally Posted by matthew28

Here's a tip for you, straight from Dr. Cory Hall himself: to use Sight-Reading and Harmony one should be familiar with all the key signatures (being able to say which one it is and if it's in Major or Minor mode ~ this takes approximately only a week or two to learn). The other thing Dr. Hall recommends is to know all your scales prior to using SR&H. If you can play all of your scales at a decent speed, then SR&H won't be the hardest thing ever. However, I came to SR&H after about a year of trying to learn sight-reading and had learned my scales and all before. This made SR&H very doable from the beginning. If you can't do it now than, like you said, it's fine. That will be something that you could tackle later on. smile I can say with the utmost certainty that SR&H (and PM's method) are the two best things that have helped with my sight-reading. They were super engaging and I knew I was learning from them.

Anyways, hope this helps. Always here to help!

PS: I am almost done inputting the full SR&H onto PM. This will also include scales and different technical exercises from his book that could help too... smile

Best of luck,
Josh

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Type "Piano Marvel" in the search box of the library and it will be listed first.

Thanks I found it.

- Robert Schumann

M
M
Originally Posted by millsj1134
Here's a tip for you, straight from Dr. Cory Hall himself: to use Sight-Reading and Harmony one should be familiar with all the key signatures (being able to say which one it is and if it's in Major or Minor mode ~ this takes approximately only a week or two to learn). The other thing Dr. Hall recommends is to know all your scales prior to using SR&H. If you can play all of your scales at a decent speed, then SR&H won't be the hardest thing ever. However, I came to SR&H after about a year of trying to learn sight-reading and had learned my scales and all before. This made SR&H very doable from the beginning. If you can't do it now than, like you said, it's fine. That will be something that you could tackle later on. smile I can say with the utmost certainty that SR&H (and PM's method) are the two best things that have helped with my sight-reading. They were super engaging and I knew I was learning from them.

Thanks Josh. I enjoy the scales (arpeggios and chords), in the technique section and doing the ABRSM books also is really helping reinforce that learning. I like the look of Dr Hall's books and fully intend to come back to them in the future like you say.

Kawai Novus NV10S
A
A
I joined PM recently after learning that the Sight Reading & Harmony choral excerpts by Cory Hall have been included. I'm a late beginner and find the combination of SR&H and the PM prepare/assess modes very effective.

Josh, if you read this, what's the plan regarding the collection of 48 exercises per level, versus the new complete collection of 150 exercises. Will the former be removed?

Schimmel C120 (2019) with silent system, Kawai ES8
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aostensv
I joined PM recently after learning that the Sight Reading & Harmony choral excerpts by Cory Hall have been included. I'm a late beginner and find the combination of SR&H and the PM prepare/assess modes very effective.

Josh, if you read this, what's the plan regarding the collection of 48 exercises per level, versus the new complete collection of 150 exercises. Will the former be removed?

I hope not I ' m using the 48 exercises, I'm on book 3-4. What is the new 150 exercises ? I don't see it.

- Robert Schumann

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Serge88
Originally Posted by aostensv

I hope not I ' m using the 48 exercises, I'm on book 3-4. What is the new 150 exercises ? I don't see it.

I think its something Josh was working on - extending the 48 to the full 150 in Cory Hall's book. I think he was probably a bit over optimistic about how long it would take him, so I don't think its delivered yet. I would expect it just replaces the current 48 exercises with 150 version. I've put sight reading and harmony on hold for the moment whilst I do the SASR to 100% book

Last edited by akc42; 10/17/19 08:05 AM.

[Linked Image]

Page 54 of 108 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 107 108

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission