2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Mrtrex Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Been studying about a year and a half now have 14 short songs/tunes memorized and adding about two per week in my lesson book. I only keep the ones I like in memory and don’t really go back to the others to often. I’m playing 2b-3a level in Faber and I’m on the adult book 2 in theory faber also. Seems this past week I’ve been fumbling a lot hitting wrong keys loosing my place and so on. I did just learn my first 3a song this week Misty in the Jazz Faber book. I spent a lot of time getting it somewhat solid maybe 5-6 hours over the course of a week and a half or so Not sure if all my focus was there instead. Anyone else have these weeks?

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
No never !!!

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I'm kidding, it happens to everyone. My teacher told me she was in a studio recording with her band and she couldn't play anything right.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Serge88
No never !!!

LOL that was a good one.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Absolutely! I Csll it ‘mitten hands ‘ and just recognize it will happen. What I hate is when it happens during a lesson

M
Mrtrex Offline OP
OP Offline
M
figured lol. Just frustrating.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
About one out of every three days ... laugh

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Happens to much for my liken

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If we were meant to be perfectly consistent, we would have been born as industrial robots.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
J
Online Embarrased
J
Reverse that for me...I have lots of days where I just can't hit the key right. Left hand mostly. I try to play soft and either get no sound or I am doing fairly well and random notes pop out much louder than the surrounding ones. Sometimes I just give up and decide "OK, screw it...today will be a FORTE DAY!" smile

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by JB_PW
Reverse that for me...I have lots of days where I just can't hit the key right. Left hand mostly. I try to play soft and either get no sound or I am doing fairly well and random notes pop out much louder than the surrounding ones. Sometimes I just give up and decide "OK, screw it...today will be a FORTE DAY!" smile

Honestly, could this just be a piano regulation issue?

J
Online Embarrased
J
Originally Posted by navindra
Honestly, could this just be a piano regulation issue?

Oh it would be lovely if it wasn't my fault, but no such luck. Happens through the full range I'm playing, intermittently, as well as my teacher's piano. It's definitely this delinquent left hand!

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Actually i have pretty much accuracy problems, even with pieces played from memory.

I think it's a result of not learning or training anything besides these pieces themselves. I started practicing scales 2 weeks ago, i think that should improve my accuracy over time.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mrtrex
Been studying about a year and a half now have 14 short songs/tunes memorized and adding about two per week in my lesson book. I only keep the ones I like in memory and don’t really go back to the others to often. I’m playing 2b-3a level in Faber and I’m on the adult book 2 in theory faber also. Seems this past week I’ve been fumbling a lot hitting wrong keys loosing my place and so on. I did just learn my first 3a song this week Misty in the Jazz Faber book. I spent a lot of time getting it somewhat solid maybe 5-6 hours over the course of a week and a half or so Not sure if all my focus was there instead. Anyone else have these weeks?

Goig to level 3 Faber is also a bit of a jump, I remember this distinctly. Go slower, and realize that pieces will be more challenging and you'll probably spend more time on them.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Curiously, while I very rarely fumble notes I do have days when I play wrong or unintentional notes. The two events are not quite the same, the first being physical and the second mental. I have noticed that after improvising for many hours my playing of pieces is liable to take all sorts of unintended directions. I hardly ever mishit physically, I just play wrong notes. It used to discourage me but doesn't bother me now.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, happens still after playing for 60 years. One morning last week (bear in mind that I'm not a morning person!!), I sat at the piano and felt as free as a bird, picked up a few pieces I hadn't played for months and breezed through them. Then, in preparation of hymns for Church for the next weekend, I played and sang them through, including some harmonic improvisation.

After lunch, sat down again to follow up with the hymns - and mistake after mistake. I realised I was feeling fatigued - like tired, sat down to read again, dozed off so went to bed for a nap. After I got up - it was still not much good, not making mistakes, just didn't feel the freedom of expression of the morning, so I did some gardening instead.

In the evening, everything was working fine again.

No idea why, but it happens too often.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
I'm having one of those weeks right now, actually. It stinks.

Austin Rogers, PhD, ARSM
Music Teacher in Cedar Park, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko"
When I feel tired (sleep v badly usually anyway) I can do nothing, and have no desire to either. I either force myself to get off my **** or settle for a mid aft doze.
Usually works. Sometimes doesn't. But if you're playing for people, that motivates much better.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
F
F
I only have that issue on days that end in "y".

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
My practise session this evening was very much that. In this case I know why, both physically and mentally tired. I think in this case it was the physical tiredness, many muscles aching from lifting and moving too many things around today. A piece I know inside out I managed to hit all the rights keys but had no control including multiple ghost notes, other pieces not only could I not play with any control I got a lot of wrong notes.

I was planning on doing another attempt at doing a recording but I decided to not even try and just did a chunk of slow practise. It was a short practise session, I suspect pushing it would not have resulted in any further improvement. Tomorrow is the lesson with the new teacher, so I am hoping that will go well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission