2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mils Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I bought a Roland HP601. I just started taking lessons, so this review may be premature. However, after about a month of use, I have to say that I am very disappointed. I think some type of calibration may be needed because some of the keys sound out of tune to me. The keys are heavy but there is a lot of play in them, so, for me, at least, this makes learning to play with dynamics difficult. There is also a significant amount of key noise. It’s not clicking but when not playing loudly, there is a sort of air sound.
The combination of heavy keys and a lot of play in the keys has been problematic for a beginner, as sometimes I don’t any or enough sound out of key presses.

As a comparison, I take lessons on a Yamaha digital or hybrid baby grand. Obviously, this is a much more expensive piano but it does feel better. I probably need to adjust some settings but at this point, I can see why traditional pianos are superior. I’m hoping that as/if I progress, I will be able to get what I want out of this piano.

R
R
Any word as a Hello?

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
cornet Olds Ambassador, Hohner harmonicas and melodicas
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mils
I bought a Roland HP601. I just started taking lessons, so this review may be premature. However, after about a month of use, I have to say that I am very disappointed.

Is it already too late for you to return or exchange it.

If so, It will still be worth calling for service as it might actually have manufacturing or assembly defects that are contributing to your problems.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I bought a Roland HP601. [...]The keys are heavy but there is a lot of play in them[...]The combination of heavy keys and a lot of play in the keys has been problematic for a beginner[...]

What do you mean with "a lot of play" in the keys?

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I bought a Roland HP601. I just started taking lessons, so this review may be premature. However, after about a month of use, I have to say that I am very disappointed. I think some type of calibration may be needed because some of the keys sound out of tune to me. The keys are heavy but there is a lot of play in them, so, for me, at least, this makes learning to play with dynamics difficult. There is also a significant amount of key noise. It’s not clicking but when not playing loudly, there is a sort of air sound.
The combination of heavy keys and a lot of play in the keys has been problematic for a beginner, as sometimes I don’t any or enough sound out of key presses.

As a comparison, I take lessons on a Yamaha digital or hybrid baby grand. Obviously, this is a much more expensive piano but it does feel better. I probably need to adjust some settings but at this point, I can see why traditional pianos are superior. I’m hoping that as/if I progress, I will be able to get what I want out of this piano.

Not that I doubt you are experiencing issues, but some of these things could possibly be resolved with your current instrument.

How is the volume that you play at? It should be loud enough (75-80%) so that you don't hear the action. Acoustic pianos have a very loud action, but we don't hear it because the sound of the piano is louder than the action.
For the "out of tune keys" have you tried a factory reset? It's possible a different tuning has been accidentally selected and so that's why some notes sound "off". Doing a reset is the simplest way to see if it's the piano, or a setting.

As for the keys being "heavy" but with lots of play, it sounds to me like you need a lighter touch setting as well as adjusting the brightness, so that you can attain a brighter sound easier. Your DP is capable of these adjustments - I believe page 6 of the manual will tell you how.

Try these steps out and then see how you feel about it. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . . The combination of heavy keys and a lot of play in the keys has been problematic for a beginner, as sometimes I don’t any or enough sound out of key presses.

FWIW --

That Roland has a PHA-50 action. I've played it, and didn't find it especially heavy.

. . . Have you tried adjusting the "Touch" setting?

That won't change the actual "weight" of he keys, but it will change how the piano feels, when you play it.

Both acoustic grands, and acoustic uprights, require a certain "minimum key velocity" to produce a sound. If you strike the key really gently, they'll be silent.

It's possible that the HP601 has a higher minimum key velocity _by design_. You _might_ be able to change that with the "Touch" setting, or something else in the piano's menu system. Or you might just get used to it.

It's also just barely possible that -- if your "lesson piano" is an old digital piano -- it _doesn't_ behave like that:

. . . No matter how softly you strike a key, when it hits bottom, a sound comes out.

That behavior is _not correct_ -- but if you're used to it, it could be confusing. Remember:

. . . Your "lesson piano" is _not_ a "traditional piano" -- it's a digital piano, in a large case.

Another question:

. . . What is your volume knob set to?

To match an acoustic piano, it should probably be about 3/4 of the way up.

PS -- and yes, the action could be mis-adjusted, or mis-manufactured. Get a piano tech to look at it, or have an experienced pianist play it.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
What do you mean they have a lot of play in the keys?

Roland PHA-50 keyboard is actually on the lighter side compared to other digital keyboard beds at least in my opinion it is.

Now for the sound you might not like that Roland uses modeling for the sound and not sampling. To different camps and some folks don't like the modeled sound of Roland. This has been debated here for quite some time.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
M
Mils Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I will take all of your suggestions into consideration. Thank you.
What I mean by a lot of play, is that, again, compared to the lesson piano, there is a lot of movement in the keys that does not produce sound, a lot of extra movement. I’ll try to think of a better way to explain it.

I'm not sure if this piano offers it, but some of the Roland pianos let you individually tune each key, so if there's a key that's off for you in tuning, you could be able to fix it using the Piano Designer app.

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
What I mean by a lot of play, is that, again, compared to the lesson piano, there is a lot of movement in the keys that does not produce sound, a lot of extra movement. I’ll try to think of a better way to explain it.

If you mean up and down before sound that is most likely normal. I have an old Technic DP that is 23 years old and if you strike the key as softly as you can it still produces a sound. It shouldn't but it is worn out. I have been looking for a replacement for a while. My Casio PXS5 is my go to at the moment.

How old are the Yamaha pianos?

A factory reset should be the first logical step.
Second, would be why does it need it? if it did. The irem may have been a shop demo model which'll have been played by all and sundry.
The key action is light; you;ll prob. notice that best when it's not switched on.
Some of the other noises may be key clatter, pedal whoosh!, string and pedal resonances etc, which would be that company's attem[pts to emulat the acoustic instrument. They'tr all at it now, of course; but your teacher may have an older instrument which would not exhibit these "improvements".

Best of luck. I was thinking of buying one of those, just for the keyboard, which was Roland's very best until very recently so it's a good one.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Maybe you mean that to produce a sound you have to press a key from its highest position, but if you play from, for example, an already half pressed key, you cannot make the DP to produce a sound?

E
E
Originally Posted by EPW
Now for the sound you might not like that Roland uses modeling for the sound and not sampling.

If I am not mistaken, the HP601 use the "old" supernatural modeling that is sampled and not fully modeled.

Last edited by Etienne33; 10/16/19 10:24 AM.
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Yep you are right. the HP601 isn't fully modeled piano. That starts in the HP603 line.

Originally Posted by EPW
Yep you are right. the HP601 isn't fully modeled piano. That starts in the HP603 line.

It still has unlimited polyphony, I believe. Having played it, it's nice enough. Sounds similar to, say, the latest RDP or RP models but looks better, with the better action.

"[Linked Image]"
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
No it does not have unlimited polyphony. It has Max. Polyphony of: 288

Originally Posted by EPW
No it does not have unlimited polyphony. It has Max. Polyphony of: 288

Oh! I see. An FP50 with a nice cabinet and better action. It did sound similar.

"[Linked Image]"
M
Mils Offline OP
OP Offline
M
When I mentioned the key noise before, I stated that it was loud. My mother was at my house today while I was practicing. I was using headphones, while she was watching tv and she asked me what the boise was. I stopped playing and asked her if it stopped and she said that it had.
So, the thumps from the key presses are so loud, that my mother thought the sound was loud, while she was watching tv in the next room. Could that be normal?
I think the other issues that I described as the keys having to travel a distance that is seemingly too far before a sound is produced and, the weight of the keys are contributing or part of the key noise problem.

I don’t know if this is normal for this model or not but from my recollections of the spinet we had when I was growing up, this is nothing like a traditional piano.

Last edited by Mils; 10/18/19 08:56 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

What is your volume knob set to?

To match an acoustic piano, it should probably be about 3/4 of the way up.

I did not know this (I have a different Roland.) Thank you!

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Don't worry about that. A month is too little time to make judgments. You will get used to the sound of Roland. You and your family will get used to key noise. And concerning the action your perception of it will change dozen times before you become advanced.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission