2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (brdwyguy, apianostudent, accordeur, Buzz209, beeboss, anotherscott, BWV846, antune, 17 invisible), 524 guests, and 446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 427 of 448 1 2 425 426 427 428 429 447 448
B
B
Originally Posted by amyram
Originally Posted by JanetL

I am not sure if this will help or not but I practiced the chord changes with both hands separate from the melody, just playing the chords by themselves with both hands. Once I was sure of the chord changes I then played the melody with them. This seemed the easiest way for me. Good luck.

That got me over the hump. !00% with right hand chords. According to my records that was 5.67 hours (340 min) to get to 100%. I will try only chords in the right hand tomorrow after work and see if I can break that record . I think your right about just chords over and over before I slip in some melody...thanks.

My teacher's default after going over some difficult phrase a few times is, "Good job! Now go home and repeat it 100 times."

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
A
A
[/quote]

My teacher's default after going over some difficult phrase a few times is, "Good job! Now go home and repeat it 100 times."[/quote]

I think your teacher is right, I've tried yelling at my left hand and threatening corporal punishment but it just seems to do it's own thing anyways.

A
A
WooHoo...I just got 100% on When the Saints Go Marching in with right hand chords. Finally.

So in the end the version of When the Saints in Alfreds All-in-One took me:

340 min to get to 100% on the LH chord version and 307 min to 100% on the RH version. So 647 min ( 10.78 hrs) of When the Saints practice for both versions.

So you were right Janet the RH chord version does go faster.

What I learned mostly is that I don't want to play or hear When the Saints Go Marching in again for a long time. Very excited to be moving on. Bring it Alf.

P
P
WooHoo...I just got 100% on When the Saints Go Marching in with right hand chords. Finally.

340 min to get to 100% on the LH chord version and 307 min to 100% on the RH version. So 647 min ( 10.78 hrs) of When the Saints practice for both versions.

What I learned mostly is that I don't want to play or hear When the Saints Go Marching in again for a long time. Very excited to be moving on. Bring it Alf.

Congrats! The Quality of a beginners work is far more important than how long it takes. You will reap the benefits of that as you go along......

Progman
Baldwin Console
Long Live ELP
A
A
Thanks Progman, it feels like an accomplishment.

J
J

Great work! It is amazing when things come together.

I felt the same about this song at the time. lol However, I have since gone back to it and, whilst it is still not one of my favourites, it does not feel too bad now. I hope it is the same for you. smile

A
A
I felt the same about this song at the time. lol However, I have since gone back to it and, whilst it is still not one of my favourites, it does not feel too bad now. I hope it is the same for you. smile

I was kind of exaggerating. I realized I got 100% in minced mode (which is still 100% at full tempo) but I have this "need" to also get 100% in "whole" mode same thing just an extra star in a different column. So I went back and did that. It took four more play throughs to get. I see Alfred's suggests that it would be beneficial to play the LH version followed immediately by the RH version. So before I forget to much of it I will give that a few run throughs as well, maybe in a day or two smile
I have noticed that playing that many trys with each hand my forarm on the "chord" hand gets pumped up. Obviously from to much tension that people talk about. I found that to get my fingers to lock into various chord shapes I feel like I have to strain to lock that shape in so obviously I need to continue flogging those chords until I can do it relaxed. At first it seems that is the only way to get my hand to obey. Any suggestions besides "just relax"?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Nice! What does 100% mean -- is that with an app rating you or something?

Sorry, this thread is too long for me to figure out.

Btw, my Novus will play this song at 100% and yet it sounds not very musical to me. I'd rather someone play it at 95% but make it work better musically, rather than suffer a 100% rendering by the computer.

A
A
I use Piano Marvel so you plug your computer into your piano and the program shows red notes if it's the wrong note or if it's not in time. Piano Marvel has a Method section and a Techniques section as well as sight reading SASR and a library where there are different songs at various levels. So Alfred's All-In-One songs from the method books are available in the library and if you play through at full tempo with no mistakes that would be 100%. No red notes.
I find it keeps me honest. When I first started the Alfred's book I would play a song until I thought it sounded pretty good and then move on. Playing until I get 100% is probably at least twice as long, but I feel like whatever lesson the song was trying to teach maybe sinks in better with more reps.

A
A

[/quote]

Congrats! The Quality of a beginners work is far more important than how long it takes. You will reap the benefits of that as you go along......
[/quote]

By the way I wasn't trying to see how fast I could do it I just happen to keep a practice journal and practice with a timer to make sure my hour of practice actually is. So each block that I do I mark down how much time I spent on it. eg. Piano Marvel - Technique 24 min, Sight Reading 13 min, Alfred's _ When the Saints RH chords 26 min Piano Marvel - Method 15 min etc.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I use Piano Marvel so you plug your computer into your piano and the program shows red notes if it's the wrong note or if it's not in time. Piano Marvel has a Method section and a Techniques section as well as sight reading SASR and a library where there are different songs at various levels. So Alfred's All-In-One songs from the method books are available in the library and if you play through at full tempo with no mistakes that would be 100%. No red notes.
I find it keeps me honest. When I first started the Alfred's book I would play a song until I thought it sounded pretty good and then move on. Playing until I get 100% is probably at least twice as long, but I feel like whatever lesson the song was trying to teach maybe sinks in better with more reps.

That's very interesting, does it evaluate dynamics, slurs/ties, rit., etc? Or is it just about hitting correct notes on time? That sounds awesome if it does.

A
A
No it doesn't recognize any dynamics, strictly correct notes and correct timing. The rest you have to work on separately.

It does have a backing track that you play along with that helps the piece sound correct.

Last edited by amyram; 10/14/19 12:13 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No it doesn't recognize any dynamics, strictly correct notes and correct timing. The rest you have to work on separately.

It does have a backing track that you play along with that helps the piece sound correct.

Ah that's a bit less interesting. More in the spirit of Guitar Hero. Backing track sounds good though.

S
S
I just started learning the piano on Saturday I got the Alfred's Self-Teaching Adult Piano Course book. I am enjoying the longer explanations in it. I wish it was broken down into units. I'm on page 25 and I am going to start over, I think I went too fast.

P
P
Welcome Suzysue - Good Luck to you! There is lot's of great info on this site about learning piano. It's hard to learn, the best advice I have heard is to learn to enjoy the process of learning.

Progman
Baldwin Console
Long Live ELP
J
J
Welcome to the forum,Suzysue, I have not been playing for very long either but I have found taking things slowly is working best for me too. Enjoy the journey!

A
A
Welcome Suzysue, I am also a late beginner (58) playing for 8 months now. I have found that it is a long slow process but learning piano is rewarding.
Enjoy the journey and stop to smell the roses along the way. There is no prize for finishing first.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome Suzysue smile

There is no prize for finishing first.

No? When I watch people (pros) on YouTube playing pieces I'm interested in, at breakneck speed, you'd think so. I don't know why they do that. A lot of those pieces would sound better slower.

Enjoy the journey and stop to smell the roses along the way.

That is excellent advice. I always have to remind myself to slow down.

Last edited by Jytte; 10/15/19 01:54 PM.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jytte
Welcome Suzysue smile

There is no prize for finishing first.

No? When I watch people (pros) on YouTube playing pieces I'm interested in, at breakneck speed, you'd think so. I don't know why they do that. A lot of those pieces would sound better slower.

You mean like Wim Winters does it wink grin

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes smile

But in general I don't understand the fuss and argument about tempo. It ought to be up to the player how they feel it should be played, how they hear it and want to perform it. Obviously a brisk mazurka shouldn't sound like a funeral march, but neither should 'soulful' music sound like the player has exactly 50 seconds till someone slams the fallboard on his hands. I'm just sayin',,,

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Page 427 of 448 1 2 425 426 427 428 429 447 448

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thinking about Buying a used Steinway?
by astrotoy - 04/19/21 02:43 PM
Pivot termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 01:45 PM
Numa Compact 2x VS Arturia Keylab Essential 88
by Violao - 04/19/21 01:14 PM
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,397
Posts3,084,152
Members101,241
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission