2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
91 members (brdwyguy, 36251, anotherscott, Andrew_G, AllThingsKeyboard, c++, Augustina, 19 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2900319 10/15/19 07:43 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Does anyone have any current information on the impact of the Ivory Act 2018 as yet?

Ivory Act explanatory notes

The Act is now law but apparently is not yet 'in force'. It provides an exemption for musical instruments earlier than 1975, but I would have though that the 'de minimis' exemption would also apply to most pianos as there's no way that key tops provide more than 10% of a piano 'by volume'.

The other part is section 10 registration: if you intend to sell a piano with ivory keys then it suggests that you would need to register the instrument and get an exemption certificate. Does that mean that all UK piano dealers are geared up and ready to register their pre-1975 stock? Would private citizens have to do the same before they sold or traded in an instrument with ivory keys?

There also does not appear to be anything in the Act about repairs, so does that mean that when the Act comes into force it will no longer be possible to repair damaged keys with CITES certified ivory - or do the keys themselves fall within the definition of 'musical instrument'? Or would restorers only be able to source ivory from pianos which are not traded as such? Or must they source it only from registered pianos both in terms of CITES and the Ivory Act?

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sally Phillips was actually neck deep in the whole proceedings. Sally, can you help?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the response, Rich. I hope she may have some further knowledge which she is willing to share.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to cast a long shadow. If a piano w/ivory becomes an item which requires registration for the purposes of sale, trade or hire, as seems the case, then the market in pianos suddenly acquires a potential value distinction between those with and those without. Possibly very negative. Who wants to own something that could be rendered financially without value at any point the government chooses?

Today's very easily passed law may be superseded by a future law which makes all ivory unsaleable thus rendering such pianos completely without financial value regardless of what might have been paid for them.

There has already been a consultation process in regard to other forms of ivory than elephant ivory. That might well affect some new pianos. So the ground could continue to shift. Maybe it should.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by etherline
Today's very easily passed law may be superseded by a future law which makes all ivory unsaleable thus rendering such pianos completely without financial value regardless of what might have been paid for them.

Steady on, that is imagination on the future not reality.

And in that imaginary future I think we would still, at worst, be talking about reducing value by the cost of replacing said ivory with plastic..

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I would have to read that carefully. I was involved in this problem in the US and what started out as a very restrictive regulation ended up being pretty workable. The big issue here is import/export, not sales. New York and New Jersey jumped into this a passed state laws that are restrictive but the de minimis portion allows for sale of pianos with less than 200 grams of ivory. No one can accurately measure that unless the ivory is removed but that has never come up here because the 200 grams was designed to eliminate the issue with pianos and other musical instruments.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
I don't know much about the law, but I do know that Tim Harvey from London is sometimes asked to go to the piano auctions and re-surface a keyboard if it's being exported. Sometimes it's just easier to spend the £500 or so that it costs to resurface a keyboard than to attempt to get all the certification together.

Bösendorfer and Hamburg Steinway, and other European makers used ivory right up until 1990, and by special request you could ask for ivory right up until very recently although the legality of how the ivory was actually acquired was a fudge. There was a scandal in 2014 or thereabouts when C.Bechstein produced an art case piano and used ivory on the key surfaces citing the reason that it was a historical reproduction. It was a rather clumsy decision on their part in my opinion. I know that some piano rebuilders in Europe could fit new ivory on to keys as recently as 2016 which personally I found reprehensible, but there, it happened. Being perfectly honest, the cut off dates for these things can be somewhat arbitrary. In terms of a ban in force from 2017, what difference does it make if the ivory was fitted in 1975 or 1995? Or for that matter 2015? It seems to make more sense to me to draw the line at 2017, but they must have their reasons.

YAMAHA Artist

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garritan with Sibelius "sound set" ?
by RinTin - 09/28/21 03:13 PM
help teaching an autistic child
by sheilaju - 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Old Kawai MP6
by johan d - 09/28/21 02:04 PM
Half Pedaling reality check
by Dore - 09/28/21 12:47 PM
Confused.
by Cutec - 09/28/21 10:43 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,335
Posts3,135,868
Members102,845
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission