2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
53 members (Baltguy, cmb13, Beowulf, clothearednincompo, CookieJohn, Ajax69, Bill McKaig,RPT, AlphaBravoCharlie, 8 invisible), 400 guests, and 439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160
#2899599 10/12/19 07:37 PM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,824
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,824
I attended SiFi's Liszt recital, which was at Calvary Baptist Church in Washington, DC yesterday. This is the second recital of his that I've attended, the first was a February 2019 Brahms recital that I had posted about over here.

With his permission, I made the video of one of his Liszt pieces below and am posting it on PW.

He made a wonderful performance of both Au bord d'une source S.160/4 ("Beside a Spring") and Vallée d'Obermann S.160/6 ("Obermann's Valley", or as SiFi said, it could also be "Valley of the Dobermann"), both from the first suite, Première année: Suisse ("First Year: Switzerland"), of Liszt's Années de pèlerinage ("Years of Pilgrimage"). Below is the the latter of these pieces, the Dobermann one, which I found to be both gloom and grandiose in parts. It reminded me a lot of certain paintings of the Hudson River School of the mid-19th century. I felt like I was stepping back and looking at a majestic and awe-inspiringly intimidating sky painted by say, Albert Bierstadt. Intense and virtuosic!

Here is the description of this piece from Wikipedia:
Quote
Vallée d'Obermann (Obermann's Valley) in E minor – Inspired by Étienne Pivert de Senancour's novel of the same title, set in Switzerland, with a hero overwhelmed and confused by nature, suffering from ennui and longing, finally concluding that only our feelings are true. The captions include one from Byron's Childe Harold's Pilgrimage ("Could I embody and unbosom now / That which is most within me,--could I wreak / My thoughts upon expression, and thus throw / Soul--heart--mind--passions--feelings--strong or weak-- / All that I would have sought, and all I seek, / Bear, know, feel--and yet breathe--into one word, / And that one word were Lightning, I would speak; / But as it is, I live and die unheard, / With a most voiceless thought, sheathing it as a sword.") and two from Senancour's Obermann, which include the crucial questions, “What do I want? Who am I? What do I ask of nature?"


Liszt, Vallée d'Obermann, S.160/6, from the first suite of Années de pèlerinage:



[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160
Tyrone Slothrop #2899614 10/12/19 08:27 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3,755
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3,755
I'm looking forward to watching this!


Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160
Tyrone Slothrop #2899637 10/12/19 11:32 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,487
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,487
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I attended SiFi's Liszt recital, which was at Calvary Baptist Church in Washington, DC yesterday. This is the second recital of his that I've attended, the first was a February 2019 Brahms recital that I had posted about over here.

With his permission, I made the video of one of his Liszt pieces below and am posting it on PW.

He made a wonderful performance of both Au bord d'une source S.160/4 ("Beside a Spring") and Vallée d'Obermann S.160/6 ("Obermann's Valley", or as SiFi said, it could also be "Valley of the Dobermann"), both from the first suite, Première année: Suisse ("First Year: Switzerland"), of Liszt's Années de pèlerinage ("Years of Pilgrimage"). Below is the the latter of these pieces, the Dobermann one, which I found to be both gloom and grandiose in parts. It reminded me a lot of certain paintings of the Hudson River School of the mid-19th century. I felt like I was stepping back and looking at a majestic and awe-inspiringly intimidating sky painted by say, Albert Bierstadt. Intense and virtuosic!

Here is the description of this piece from Wikipedia:
Quote
Vallée d'Obermann (Obermann's Valley) in E minor – Inspired by Étienne Pivert de Senancour's novel of the same title, set in Switzerland, with a hero overwhelmed and confused by nature, suffering from ennui and longing, finally concluding that only our feelings are true. The captions include one from Byron's Childe Harold's Pilgrimage ("Could I embody and unbosom now / That which is most within me,--could I wreak / My thoughts upon expression, and thus throw / Soul--heart--mind--passions--feelings--strong or weak-- / All that I would have sought, and all I seek, / Bear, know, feel--and yet breathe--into one word, / And that one word were Lightning, I would speak; / But as it is, I live and die unheard, / With a most voiceless thought, sheathing it as a sword.") and two from Senancour's Obermann, which include the crucial questions, “What do I want? Who am I? What do I ask of nature?"


Liszt, Vallée d'Obermann, S.160/6, from the first suite of Années de pèlerinage:




Now that was a GREAT 14 minutes! Outstanding job!



[Linked Image]
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160
Tyrone Slothrop #2899648 10/13/19 01:20 AM
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,189
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,189
My heartfelt thanks again to Tyrone Slothrop! He (or she, since we’re totally anonymous here) comes to the recitals, records them in 4K, edits them to professional standard, and then posts them with kind and informed commentary. Then, as if that’s not enough, he says he can procure tickets for me and my wife to join him at a Stephen Hough recital at the Kennedy Center. I think he should get the Piano World for special generosity!

As to the performance, this was my first try at at valley of the Doberman. My goal is to play it as cleanly as Coaster and I’m not quite there yet. But this is a work that really rewards long and deep study. I will persevere until I get to where I can perform it to the standard that it warrants.

PS, thanks for the kind comment NobleHouse.


SRF
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160
SiFi #2899737 10/13/19 11:30 AM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,487
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,487
Originally Posted by SiFi
My heartfelt thanks again to Tyrone Slothrop! He (or she, since we’re totally anonymous here) comes to the recitals, records them in 4K, edits them to professional standard, and then posts them with kind and informed commentary. Then, as if that’s not enough, he says he can procure tickets for me and my wife to join him at a Stephen Hough recital at the Kennedy Center. I think he should get the Piano World for special generosity!

As to the performance, this was my first try at at valley of the Doberman. My goal is to play it as cleanly as Coaster and I’m not quite there yet. But this is a work that really rewards long and deep study. I will persevere until I get to where I can perform it to the standard that it warrants.

PS, thanks for the kind comment NobleHouse.


It wasn't a "kind comment", it was "sincere".



[Linked Image]
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160
NobleHouse #2899741 10/13/19 11:49 AM
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,189
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,189
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
It wasn't a "kind comment", it was "sincere".

I would never have taken it otherwise smile but I still consider it kind of you to offer a sincere opinion! blush blush


SRF
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160
Tyrone Slothrop #2899748 10/13/19 12:17 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3,755
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3,755
I just watched it. Quite a performance! It takes a lot of work and stamina, and concentration to pull that off. Congratulations, SiFi!


Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160
SiFi #2899849 10/13/19 04:15 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,487
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,487
Originally Posted by SiFi
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
It wasn't a "kind comment", it was "sincere".

I would never have taken it otherwise smile but I still consider it kind of you to offer a sincere opinion! blush blush



grin



[Linked Image]
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160
SiFi #2900172 10/14/19 03:19 PM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,824
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 9,824
Originally Posted by SiFi
My heartfelt thanks again to Tyrone Slothrop! He (or she, since we’re totally anonymous here) comes to the recitals, records them in 4K, edits them to professional standard, and then posts them with kind and informed commentary. Then, as if that’s not enough, he says he can procure tickets for me and my wife to join him at a Stephen Hough recital at the Kennedy Center. I think he should get the Piano World for special generosity!

blush

Originally Posted by SiFi
As to the performance, this was my first try at at valley of the Doberman. My goal is to play it as cleanly as Coaster and I’m not quite there yet. But this is a work that really rewards long and deep study. I will persevere until I get to where I can perform it to the standard that it warrants.

This is definitely a work packed full of every sort of emotion. Highly turbulent. Does anyone ever play the entire suite at once? I feel this one piece completely stands alone.


[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160
Tyrone Slothrop #2900352 10/15/19 09:18 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 5,843
B
5000 Post Club Member
Offline
5000 Post Club Member
B
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 5,843
Nice job, SiFi! One of my favorite Liszt pieces for sure. It's a beast, but extremely rewarding to play (and teach).

I've played Book 2 in recital a few times and it works well, especially going from the Petrarch Sonnets to the Dante Sonata. There are actually a lot of tie-ins between the pieces and I'm fairly certain Liszt intended it to performed as an entire set. Book I is more of a "collection" where each individual piece is great but there's not the same kind of overarching narrative that there is in Book 2.

Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160
Brendan #2901892 10/19/19 01:41 AM
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,189
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,189
Originally Posted by Brendan
Nice job, SiFi! One of my favorite Liszt pieces for sure. It's a beast, but extremely rewarding to play (and teach).

I've played Book 2 in recital a few times and it works well, especially going from the Petrarch Sonnets to the Dante Sonata. There are actually a lot of tie-ins between the pieces and I'm fairly certain Liszt intended it to performed as an entire set. Book I is more of a "collection" where each individual piece is great but there's not the same kind of overarching narrative that there is in Book 2.

Thanks, Brendan. I'm still exploring the Annees, and I do love the Sonnets, but I can't stand the Dante Sonata. Right now, I'm loving Les jeux from Book 3.

BTW, the beastliest bit in Vallee is the final E major octave arpeggio. How to make that secure? Even you professionals sometimes f### it up!


SRF

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music is so much more than most know
by Sebs - 09/26/20 01:26 AM
Technical exercises to accompany Bach Invention No 1
by AxelAxelAxel! - 09/26/20 01:18 AM
HELP KAWAI MR240 sound issue
by Danielares - 09/25/20 11:01 PM
Recording your piano
by ZoeCalgary - 09/25/20 10:53 PM
Help deciding on a tablet for a new Yamaha CLP
by GreatShowmanChopin - 09/25/20 09:32 PM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,827
Posts3,007,018
Members98,665
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4