Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
100 registered members (anotherscott, Abdol, Bruce In Philly, Burkie, AlphaBravoCharlie, Boboulus, Blague, 25 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160 #2899599
10/12/19 06:37 PM
10/12/19 06:37 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content OP
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content OP

7000 Post Club Member

I attended SiFi's Liszt recital, which was at Calvary Baptist Church in Washington, DC yesterday. This is the second recital of his that I've attended, the first was a February 2019 Brahms recital that I had posted about over here.

With his permission, I made the video of one of his Liszt pieces below and am posting it on PW.

He made a wonderful performance of both Au bord d'une source S.160/4 ("Beside a Spring") and Vallée d'Obermann S.160/6 ("Obermann's Valley", or as SiFi said, it could also be "Valley of the Dobermann"), both from the first suite, Première année: Suisse ("First Year: Switzerland"), of Liszt's Années de pèlerinage ("Years of Pilgrimage"). Below is the the latter of these pieces, the Dobermann one, which I found to be both gloom and grandiose in parts. It reminded me a lot of certain paintings of the Hudson River School of the mid-19th century. I felt like I was stepping back and looking at a majestic and awe-inspiringly intimidating sky painted by say, Albert Bierstadt. Intense and virtuosic!

Here is the description of this piece from Wikipedia:
Vallée d'Obermann (Obermann's Valley) in E minor – Inspired by Étienne Pivert de Senancour's novel of the same title, set in Switzerland, with a hero overwhelmed and confused by nature, suffering from ennui and longing, finally concluding that only our feelings are true. The captions include one from Byron's Childe Harold's Pilgrimage ("Could I embody and unbosom now / That which is most within me,--could I wreak / My thoughts upon expression, and thus throw / Soul--heart--mind--passions--feelings--strong or weak-- / All that I would have sought, and all I seek, / Bear, know, feel--and yet breathe--into one word, / And that one word were Lightning, I would speak; / But as it is, I live and die unheard, / With a most voiceless thought, sheathing it as a sword.") and two from Senancour's Obermann, which include the crucial questions, “What do I want? Who am I? What do I ask of nature?"

Liszt, Vallée d'Obermann, S.160/6, from the first suite of Années de pèlerinage:

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160 [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2899614
10/12/19 07:27 PM
10/12/19 07:27 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline

Silver Level
cmb13  Offline

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
I'm looking forward to watching this!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160 [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2899637
10/12/19 10:32 PM
10/12/19 10:32 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I attended SiFi's Liszt recital, which was at Calvary Baptist Church in Washington, DC yesterday. This is the second recital of his that I've attended, the first was a February 2019 Brahms recital that I had posted about over here.

With his permission, I made the video of one of his Liszt pieces below and am posting it on PW.

He made a wonderful performance of both Au bord d'une source S.160/4 ("Beside a Spring") and Vallée d'Obermann S.160/6 ("Obermann's Valley", or as SiFi said, it could also be "Valley of the Dobermann"), both from the first suite, Première année: Suisse ("First Year: Switzerland"), of Liszt's Années de pèlerinage ("Years of Pilgrimage"). Below is the the latter of these pieces, the Dobermann one, which I found to be both gloom and grandiose in parts. It reminded me a lot of certain paintings of the Hudson River School of the mid-19th century. I felt like I was stepping back and looking at a majestic and awe-inspiringly intimidating sky painted by say, Albert Bierstadt. Intense and virtuosic!

Here is the description of this piece from Wikipedia:
Vallée d'Obermann (Obermann's Valley) in E minor – Inspired by Étienne Pivert de Senancour's novel of the same title, set in Switzerland, with a hero overwhelmed and confused by nature, suffering from ennui and longing, finally concluding that only our feelings are true. The captions include one from Byron's Childe Harold's Pilgrimage ("Could I embody and unbosom now / That which is most within me,--could I wreak / My thoughts upon expression, and thus throw / Soul--heart--mind--passions--feelings--strong or weak-- / All that I would have sought, and all I seek, / Bear, know, feel--and yet breathe--into one word, / And that one word were Lightning, I would speak; / But as it is, I live and die unheard, / With a most voiceless thought, sheathing it as a sword.") and two from Senancour's Obermann, which include the crucial questions, “What do I want? Who am I? What do I ask of nature?"

Liszt, Vallée d'Obermann, S.160/6, from the first suite of Années de pèlerinage:

Now that was a GREAT 14 minutes! Outstanding job!

[Linked Image]
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160 [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2899648
10/13/19 12:20 AM
10/13/19 12:20 AM
Washington, DC
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SiFi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Washington, DC
My heartfelt thanks again to Tyrone Slothrop! He (or she, since we’re totally anonymous here) comes to the recitals, records them in 4K, edits them to professional standard, and then posts them with kind and informed commentary. Then, as if that’s not enough, he says he can procure tickets for me and my wife to join him at a Stephen Hough recital at the Kennedy Center. I think he should get the Piano World for special generosity!

As to the performance, this was my first try at at valley of the Doberman. My goal is to play it as cleanly as Coaster and I’m not quite there yet. But this is a work that really rewards long and deep study. I will persevere until I get to where I can perform it to the standard that it warrants.

PS, thanks for the kind comment NobleHouse.

SRF
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160 [Re: SiFi] #2899737
10/13/19 10:30 AM
10/13/19 10:30 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by SiFi
My heartfelt thanks again to Tyrone Slothrop! He (or she, since we’re totally anonymous here) comes to the recitals, records them in 4K, edits them to professional standard, and then posts them with kind and informed commentary. Then, as if that’s not enough, he says he can procure tickets for me and my wife to join him at a Stephen Hough recital at the Kennedy Center. I think he should get the Piano World for special generosity!

As to the performance, this was my first try at at valley of the Doberman. My goal is to play it as cleanly as Coaster and I’m not quite there yet. But this is a work that really rewards long and deep study. I will persevere until I get to where I can perform it to the standard that it warrants.

PS, thanks for the kind comment NobleHouse.

It wasn't a "kind comment", it was "sincere".

[Linked Image]
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160 [Re: NobleHouse] #2899741
10/13/19 10:49 AM
10/13/19 10:49 AM
Washington, DC
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SiFi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Washington, DC
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

I would never have taken it otherwise smile but I still consider it kind of you to offer a sincere opinion! blush blush

SRF
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160 [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2899748
10/13/19 11:17 AM
10/13/19 11:17 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline

Silver Level
cmb13  Offline

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
I just watched it. Quite a performance! It takes a lot of work and stamina, and concentration to pull that off. Congratulations, SiFi!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160 [Re: SiFi] #2899849
10/13/19 03:15 PM
10/13/19 03:15 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by NobleHouse

I would never have taken it otherwise smile but I still consider it kind of you to offer a sincere opinion! blush blush

grin

[Linked Image]
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160 [Re: SiFi] #2900172
10/14/19 02:19 PM
10/14/19 02:19 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content OP
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content OP

7000 Post Club Member

blush

This is definitely a work packed full of every sort of emotion. Highly turbulent. Does anyone ever play the entire suite at once? I feel this one piece completely stands alone.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160 [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2900352
10/15/19 08:18 AM
10/15/19 08:18 AM
McAllen, TX
B
Brendan Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Brendan  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
B

McAllen, TX
Nice job, SiFi! One of my favorite Liszt pieces for sure. It's a beast, but extremely rewarding to play (and teach).

I've played Book 2 in recital a few times and it works well, especially going from the Petrarch Sonnets to the Dante Sonata. There are actually a lot of tie-ins between the pieces and I'm fairly certain Liszt intended it to performed as an entire set. Book I is more of a "collection" where each individual piece is great but there's not the same kind of overarching narrative that there is in Book 2.

Re: SiFi's Liszt Recital 11 October 2019 - from S.160 [Re: Brendan] #2901892
10/19/19 12:41 AM
10/19/19 12:41 AM
Washington, DC
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SiFi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Brendan
Nice job, SiFi! One of my favorite Liszt pieces for sure. It's a beast, but extremely rewarding to play (and teach).

I've played Book 2 in recital a few times and it works well, especially going from the Petrarch Sonnets to the Dante Sonata. There are actually a lot of tie-ins between the pieces and I'm fairly certain Liszt intended it to performed as an entire set. Book I is more of a "collection" where each individual piece is great but there's not the same kind of overarching narrative that there is in Book 2.

Thanks, Brendan. I'm still exploring the Annees, and I do love the Sonnets, but I can't stand the Dante Sonata. Right now, I'm loving Les jeux from Book 3.

BTW, the beastliest bit in Vallee is the final E major octave arpeggio. How to make that secure? Even you professionals sometimes f### it up!

SRF

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key up velocity and key up position
by KevinM. 11/22/19 07:18 AM
Yamaha P-515 with subwoofer
by Boboulus. 11/22/19 02:55 AM
Cliburn 2020 Information and Alerts
by SiFi. 11/22/19 01:20 AM
Cliburn 2000 Alerts and Info
by SiFi. 11/22/19 12:54 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,252
Posts2,893,712
Members95,037
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission