Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
122 registered members (anotherscott, Antihero, AlphaBravoCharlie, aphexdisklavier, accordeur, Aceituna, Animisha, 34 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899703
10/13/19 08:12 AM
10/13/19 08:12 AM
J
joe80 Online content
3000 Post Club Member
joe80  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
J

Thanks Sally and nice to meet you all. I'm still out of town so I'll write more later. Sally, your pianos are beautiful, thank you so much for your hospitality.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: Rickster] #2899859
10/13/19 03:48 PM
10/13/19 03:48 PM
Columbus, GA
S
S. Phillips Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S. Phillips  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S

Columbus, GA
Thanks. Rick. We all had a great time. It was wonderful to see everyone. I loved your rendition of Proud Mary!

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
New Steinway, Boston and Essex pianos
www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899868
10/13/19 04:12 PM
10/13/19 04:12 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by S. Phillips
Thanks. Rick. We all had a great time. It was wonderful to see everyone. I loved your rendition of Proud Mary!

Thanks, Sally, you are too kind!

I'm glad you enjoyed my rendition of Proud Mary, (hands shaking and all) but I'm quite sure you have heard much better piano playing. In fact, I knew you had told me that you've tuned for Jerry Lee Lewis, and Stevie Wonder, but I did not know that you had toured with and tuned for Herbie Hancock; your two assistants told on you when I was talking with them yesterday. smile

So, that being said, the fact that you liked my megar performance is quite a compliment! Thank you!

But like I have said before, the PianoBuddies group is not about who can play better than who, but about supporting and enjoying everyone who is interested in learning to play the piano and has the courage to play for the group at the piano parties/recitals. smile

I know I talk too much, and ramble on, but I keep remembering the events of yesterday and what a nice time it was, indeed. I love your piano store and all those beautiful Steinways!

After the event at your store all the PianoBuddies group went to TGI Fridays restaurant to eat dinner. That was pretty good too:-) I'm still getting to know some of the PB members. One guy asked me if I liked sports; I replied "sort-of". But my biggest extracular activity and pastime is learning to play the piano. Is that a sport? smile

Anyway, it will be nice to see the pics when Laurie can post them.

Thanks again for hosting the event!

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899949
10/13/19 09:47 PM
10/13/19 09:47 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Well, Laurie got the pics of our PianoBuddies playdate event at Sally Phillips piano store, Piano Perfect, in Midland Ga (near Columbus Ga.), and here they are...

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread, but since most have been reading about the event here in this thread, I figured I'd just post the pics here. *NOTE* I couldn't get all the pics in one post, so there will be two posts with pics...

I won't try to name all the names, and many here will know Sally, Sam and myself already. I will, however, mention a few, including Joe80, since most folks here on PW may not recognize Joe. I don't mean to keep raving about the event, but it was fun, and Sam's cupcakes (along with StarBucks coffee) were great too!

Sally's Store:
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Here is Sally and her two fine associates: [Linked Image]
Here is Joe80 getting ready to do what he does best!! Playing classical music on the piano! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Here is Sam Smith warming up to play some Chopin
[Linked Image]
Sally's associate who played at a professional level... (forgot his name)
[Linked Image]
Here is Joe80 again, another pro and then some!
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Sam Smith just before his performance [Linked Image]
More PianoBudies performing their chosen pieces/arrangements [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
This is Laurie, Sam's wife, who took all the pics, but this one and another one... she does most of the administrative work for the group; thanks, Laurie!
[Linked Image]

More pics in next post...

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899951
10/13/19 09:56 PM
10/13/19 09:56 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Here are a few more pics of the PianoBuddies playdate at Sally Phillips piano store in Midland Ga. I couldn't get them all in the last post...

Also, not everyone present played the piano. Some were visitors/guests. I hope everyone enjoyed the pictures!

Thanks again, Sally, for the invite and allowing us to play the wonderful Steinway D concert grand piano! It sounded fantastic!

Rick

I'm not sure who this guy is.... smile [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Here is a nice group pic...
[Linked Image]

Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899999
10/14/19 03:35 AM
10/14/19 03:35 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
Wonderful pictures!

Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2900035
10/14/19 06:12 AM
10/14/19 06:12 AM
Fayetteville, GA
M
mivaldes Offline
mivaldes  Offline
M

Fayetteville, GA
I'm curious who traveled the farthest to get there? I'm still mad at myself for not getting there since it is only an hour away for me!!

Marcus Valdes
Fayetteville, GA
Kawai RX-5, Kawai MP11
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2900041
10/14/19 06:35 AM
10/14/19 06:35 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Great pictures and love all the smiles!

[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: mivaldes] #2900043
10/14/19 06:45 AM
10/14/19 06:45 AM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by mivaldes
I'm curious who traveled the farthest to get there? I'm still mad at myself for not getting there since it is only an hour away for me!!

Marcus, you need to get on our Piano Buddies email list - send me a message. Most of us travelled about 90 minutes to get there. Rick is further...

Sam

Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2900099
10/14/19 11:07 AM
10/14/19 11:07 AM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
5000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Sorry I wasn’t able to join this time. Rick, the taller of Sally’s apprentices is Austin. He was my piano student for 3 years, before I relocated to GA. Yeah, he plays well...

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2900209
10/14/19 04:43 PM
10/14/19 04:43 PM
Columbus, GA
S
S. Phillips Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S. Phillips  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S

Columbus, GA
One of the best parts of the event last Saturday was getting to meet Joe80, who is a wonderful pianist. He played a lot and we all enjoyed that tremendously. It was great to get feedback from across the pond as we say. We are so lucky to have him in our neighborhood now.

My student who is already covering concert work played as well. He is a super pianist and tuner now. I am so glad that terminaldegree sent him my direction three years ago.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
www.steinwaypiano.com
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2900231
10/14/19 06:29 PM
10/14/19 06:29 PM
J
joe80 Online content
3000 Post Club Member
joe80  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
J

Thanks Sally! I really enjoyed meeting you and playing your pianos.

PianoWorld, I have to say for those who don't know, Sally is a phenomenal technician, and I mean phenomenal. All of the pianos in the store were beautifully prepared and played like silk. It's very rare to be able to play an instrument and not worry if it's going to respond to you. Sally is a technician who is able to remove all barriers between the piano and the pianist. The Steinway D in store is an absolute beauty with a huge dynamic range. Sally allowed me to play a new B, and a new A, both of which were voiced to perfection with that typically warm American sound, quite unlike Hamburg instruments, and in my opinion the voice was tamed without losing any of the power or excitement. The singing quality of the tone, which I personally look for, was there in abundance, with a beautiful sustain and full body.

The real surprise for me was the Boston piano. Boston pianos have a bit of a bad rep in some parts, and in the UK we're not so fond of them. I know now that it's because I haven't yet played a properly prepared one. I know that the latest Bostons are different to the first generation (I learned on some first generation Bostons at the conservatoire in Glasgow, not regulated or voiced and frankly terrible sounding...). So the Boston doesn't have the refinement of the Steinway, it doesn't have the same possibilities, and when comparing a new properly regulated and voiced Boston with a new properly regulated and voiced Steinway, the Steinway wins out of course. That said, any pianist faced with one of Sally's Bostons in a recital situation would have absolutely nothing to complain about. They were beautifully responsive, and the touch was incredibly comfortable with as rapid a repeat as anyone could need.

In her store, Sally had a model B that I think is about 15 years old, and was in service in a teaching studio in the local music school in Columbus. It has been taken out of service for some rebuilding work to be done - new action, pin block, and strings, because in music schools pianos get hammered to death. Sally let me play the piano in its tired out state, saying to me "this is what I deem as unacceptable". Sally has looked after this piano for a number of years, and all I will say is that Sally's unacceptable is many other people's pinnacle. If our best pianos at University of Alabama were as good as Sally's worst we'd have a much easier time.

Sally is not just an expert with the American Steinway, but is an expert in German pianos as well, including Hamburg Steinway and Bechstein. I was privileged to see a Hamburg D that Sally looks after at Columbus Schwob School of Music. This piano is 11 years old and Sally has been working on it for a number of years, and all I'll say is that it is one of the finest D's I've played. It has that quintessential ringing Hamburg tone, I'd say it's voiced to the big concerto sound, and I've never felt a regulation like it under my hands.

When Sally writes about pianos on this forum, take it on board. Her standards are high, as they should be, and her knowledge and experience are clearly second to none. I will say that a lot of NY Steinways I've played have not been properly set up. In Europe, a lot of the NY Steinways are "Hamburgised", and it doesn't really fit the aesthetic of the piano. In America, some Hamburg Steinways are "New Yorked" which, again, doesn't fit the piano. Sally knows the possibilities of both instruments and it's incredibly rare to find even an experienced technician who can do that.

Oh and before I forget, Sally has the Novus NV10 in stock - that was a real treat to play. It's not cheap although Sally has it at a very attractive price, but this is a digital instrument that will give the pianist everything they require in a practice instrument. There is nothing lacking in the action, and although the sound is a little bit different from an acoustic (obviously), it's nothing that can't be adapted to since it plays so well. I'd happily have one of these for my own place and the fact that it never needs voiced or tuned and yet feels almost identical to a grand is a major plus.

I do plan at some point to play through my recital programme at Sally's place next semester, and I'll of course let you know when that will be.

I would advise any pianist or piano enthusiast to visit Sally and listen to her work, and what she has to say about pianos. She understands instruments and understands pianists, and the needs of pianists, and that's a very special quality in a tech. I know Sally plays a little although she didn't demonstrate this at the party, but my point is, Sally is one of the techs I would call a musician-technician. Everything Sally does to a piano is to remove all barriers between the person and the machine, so that the music can flow freely. There are some technicians who don't have any understanding of music, and there are some musicians who might be have-a-go heroes with a tuning lever, but really they have no idea where to start.

I loved seeing Columbus GA, it's a beautiful place with a lively atmosphere downtown, with lots of peaceful little pockets round about. We took a drive through Flat Rock Park which is, strangely enough, a park with flat rocks. Then we went to the Columbus Museum to have a brief look around there, and then the National Civil War Naval Museum. All in all a nice trip over, and I got to meet some of the piano world people and put faces to the handles.

Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2900235
10/14/19 06:45 PM
10/14/19 06:45 PM
Southeast US
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Southeast US
Joe, thanks for your post, I loved reading it and learning more about Sally!! I hope to be able to make the drive to visit down there some day in the not too distant future (I'm about a 3.5-4 hour drive I think).

I was interested to hear your comments about the Bostons, since some of my favorite pianos during my grand piano search were Boston grands. I suspect the Bostons I liked were very well prepped, but sadly, the ones I liked were all brand new instruments and, along with the S&S M that I loved, were way over my budget!

As to the piano party, wow! I sure wish I could have been there, to listen to you and everyone else, and to play some of Sally's instruments!

Also Rickster, thanks for your report and for posting the photos!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2900240
10/14/19 07:15 PM
10/14/19 07:15 PM
J
joe80 Online content
3000 Post Club Member
joe80  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
J

How far are you from Alabama ShiroKuro?

Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: joe80] #2900241
10/14/19 07:24 PM
10/14/19 07:24 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by joe80
Thanks Sally! I really enjoyed meeting you and playing your pianos.

PianoWorld, I have to say for those who don't know, Sally is a phenomenal technician, and I mean phenomenal. All of the pianos in the store were beautifully prepared and played like silk. It's very rare to be able to play an instrument and not worry if it's going to respond to you. Sally is a technician who is able to remove all barriers between the piano and the pianist. The Steinway D in store is an absolute beauty with a huge dynamic range. Sally allowed me to play a new B, and a new A, both of which were voiced to perfection with that typically warm American sound, quite unlike Hamburg instruments, and in my opinion the voice was tamed without losing any of the power or excitement. The singing quality of the tone, which I personally look for, was there in abundance, with a beautiful sustain and full body.

The real surprise for me was the Boston piano. Boston pianos have a bit of a bad rep in some parts, and in the UK we're not so fond of them. I know now that it's because I haven't yet played a properly prepared one. I know that the latest Bostons are different to the first generation (I learned on some first generation Bostons at the conservatoire in Glasgow, not regulated or voiced and frankly terrible sounding...). So the Boston doesn't have the refinement of the Steinway, it doesn't have the same possibilities, and when comparing a new properly regulated and voiced Boston with a new properly regulated and voiced Steinway, the Steinway wins out of course. That said, any pianist faced with one of Sally's Bostons in a recital situation would have absolutely nothing to complain about. They were beautifully responsive, and the touch was incredibly comfortable with as rapid a repeat as anyone could need.

In her store, Sally had a model B that I think is about 15 years old, and was in service in a teaching studio in the local music school in Columbus. It has been taken out of service for some rebuilding work to be done - new action, pin block, and strings, because in music schools pianos get hammered to death. Sally let me play the piano in its tired out state, saying to me "this is what I deem as unacceptable". Sally has looked after this piano for a number of years, and all I will say is that Sally's unacceptable is many other people's pinnacle. If our best pianos at University of Alabama were as good as Sally's worst we'd have a much easier time.

Sally is not just an expert with the American Steinway, but is an expert in German pianos as well, including Hamburg Steinway and Bechstein. I was privileged to see a Hamburg D that Sally looks after at Columbus Schwob School of Music. This piano is 11 years old and Sally has been working on it for a number of years, and all I'll say is that it is one of the finest D's I've played. It has that quintessential ringing Hamburg tone, I'd say it's voiced to the big concerto sound, and I've never felt a regulation like it under my hands.

When Sally writes about pianos on this forum, take it on board. Her standards are high, as they should be, and her knowledge and experience are clearly second to none. I will say that a lot of NY Steinways I've played have not been properly set up. In Europe, a lot of the NY Steinways are "Hamburgised", and it doesn't really fit the aesthetic of the piano. In America, some Hamburg Steinways are "New Yorked" which, again, doesn't fit the piano. Sally knows the possibilities of both instruments and it's incredibly rare to find even an experienced technician who can do that.

Oh and before I forget, Sally has the Novus NV10 in stock - that was a real treat to play. It's not cheap although Sally has it at a very attractive price, but this is a digital instrument that will give the pianist everything they require in a practice instrument. There is nothing lacking in the action, and although the sound is a little bit different from an acoustic (obviously), it's nothing that can't be adapted to since it plays so well. I'd happily have one of these for my own place and the fact that it never needs voiced or tuned and yet feels almost identical to a grand is a major plus.

I do plan at some point to play through my recital programme at Sally's place next semester, and I'll of course let you know when that will be.

I would advise any pianist or piano enthusiast to visit Sally and listen to her work, and what she has to say about pianos. She understands instruments and understands pianists, and the needs of pianists, and that's a very special quality in a tech. I know Sally plays a little although she didn't demonstrate this at the party, but my point is, Sally is one of the techs I would call a musician-technician. Everything Sally does to a piano is to remove all barriers between the person and the machine, so that the music can flow freely. There are some technicians who don't have any understanding of music, and there are some musicians who might be have-a-go heroes with a tuning lever, but really they have no idea where to start.

I loved seeing Columbus GA, it's a beautiful place with a lively atmosphere downtown, with lots of peaceful little pockets round about. We took a drive through Flat Rock Park which is, strangely enough, a park with flat rocks. Then we went to the Columbus Museum to have a brief look around there, and then the National Civil War Naval Museum. All in all a nice trip over, and I got to meet some of the piano world people and put faces to the handles.

Fantastic recap and thoughts. Loved the post.

[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: joe80] #2900245
10/14/19 07:51 PM
10/14/19 07:51 PM
Southeast US
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Southeast US
Originally Posted by joe80
How far are you from Alabama ShiroKuro?

Are you in Birmingham? I think I'm a 4+ hour drive from there, yikes!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: joe80] #2900248
10/14/19 08:06 PM
10/14/19 08:06 PM
Columbus, GA
S
S. Phillips Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S. Phillips  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S

Columbus, GA
Joe, Thanks so much for your kind words. I am very lucky to have a fine pianist visit and comment so succinctly on tone and touch. And as I said to the group, every piano in my store has been tuned by my students and most of the regulation as well. Of course I am helping them and doing the voicing but they can take the credit for their hard work.

Thanks again for taking the time to drive over.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
www.steinwaypiano.com
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2900332
10/15/19 07:26 AM
10/15/19 07:26 AM
Philadelphia/South Jersey
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber

Philadelphia/South Jersey
I was so glad to finally see photos and Joe's recap of the day. I have always known Sally to be top notch and have always enjoyed chatting with her in person (usually at a convention) but much more often over the phone.

Looks like it was a great day for all!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2900595
10/15/19 08:21 PM
10/15/19 08:21 PM
Fayetteville, GA
M
mivaldes Offline
mivaldes  Offline
M

Fayetteville, GA
If anyone wants recordings for future events--I've got the gear....and willing to bring it.

Last edited by mivaldes; 10/15/19 08:21 PM.

Marcus Valdes
Fayetteville, GA
Kawai RX-5, Kawai MP11
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yours truly at the Royal Albert Hall
by Dr Bekken. 11/14/19 08:47 AM
For which composers are Bärenreiter Urtext editions, best?
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/14/19 07:33 AM
Beyerdynamic DT-1990 or Sennheiser HD 660?
by johanibraaten. 11/14/19 06:05 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,083
Posts2,890,669
Members94,955
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission