2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
43 members (bensbaldwin, EB5AGV, astrotoy, dbudde, David B, AWilley, 11 invisible), 409 guests, and 427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Yamaha NU1X or U1 Silent Piano?!
bsharp77 #2898919 10/10/19 11:24 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bsharp77
I guess i'm a Yamaha man - everyone has different tastes when it comes to piano sounds and key action....no point having a great speaker system if its not playing the sound you like!
I tried a Kawai CA58/78 a few weeks back along with a Yamaha CLP635/645.
I dismissed the Kawai's immediately - hated the keyboards and the sound was not to my taste at all - much too soft.
Coming from a band background and due also to the styles of music I like to play, I love a bright punchy piano sound and a good responsive action.
The upright action and sound of the NU1X seems to actually better suited to the style of stuff I want to play rather than the dearer grand action of the N2X which was quite a revelation to me when I watched the video comparing the 2 side by side.

The CLP645 sounds good enough....and would do fine.....but I need something that gives me a bit more feeling and excitement to sit down and play.
I'm hoping the NU1X will be just the machine for the job.
As mentioned, I guess i'll not know until I actually sit down at one and try for myself - so I will definitely report back once i've had a chance.

With that further description, the N1UX might be perfect for you. But I'm also going to throw out one I've never suggested before, but there is always a first time. Given your taste in music, what about giving the Nord Grand a try? It's about 25% cheaper than the NU1X, won't have as great or authentic as action, but you might like the sounds even better. BTW, just throwing this idea out there.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
bsharp77 #2898940 10/10/19 12:20 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
j
Originally Posted by bsharp77

I'll hopefully get the chance to try the NU1X either this weekend or next - i'll know within 10 seconds if its for me or not, but I'm definitely favouring it over a cheap U1 at the minute.

The usual mantra, don't forget to reset the sounds to factory settings, and if trying by headphone take your own.

I have an NU1 and was curious about upgrading to an NU1X, but when I tried it in a store I was distinctly unimpressed. The dynamics across the keys was all over the place, and the resulting tone, even on the main CFX (which the NU1 has too) was just not right. I even posted about it in the forum here. Anyway after some reflection, I returned, did a factory reset and test played again. Big mistake, now I’m looking at upgrading for sure. grin

Pete14 #2898956 10/10/19 12:50 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Pete14
If I had to pick between the NU1X and the U1 Silent Piano, I would choose the NV5.

I've never heard or played the NV5, so I'd be very hesitant to just declare it the winner. But that's just me.

It may well be worth waiting a couple of months for the NV5 to be released to compare it directly against both Yamaha options.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
bsharp77 #2898967 10/10/19 01:13 PM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
If you can play it even just sometimes, my vote goes to the U1. The NU1X is a great digital, but it's still not an acoustic.

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by U3piano
Originally Posted by Morten Olsson

I play the U1 late at night regularly on full blast and my wife and kids have gotten used to it and sleep right through it smile
Nice. cool

Morten should include a pic of himself so we know he still in possession of his head. wink

Because in his shoes, I wouldn't be! crazy

Maybe his playing is sleep inducing? smirk

Gombessa #2898969 10/10/19 01:19 PM
P
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Gombessa
If I had to pick between the NU1X and the U1 Silent Piano, I would choose the NV5.

I've never heard or played the NV5, so I'd be very hesitant to just declare it the winner. But that's just me.

It may well be worth waiting a couple of months for the NV5 to be released to compare it directly against both Yamaha options.

........but James says it’s the best! laugh

Pete14 #2898970 10/10/19 01:23 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Actually, that would be rather uncharacteristic of James to declare anything the best... except for Pianoteq.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
U3piano #2898986 10/10/19 01:51 PM
M
M
If you can play it even just sometimes, my vote goes to the U1. The NU1X is a great digital, but it's still not an acoustic.

I play the U1 late at night regularly on full blast and my wife and kids have gotten used to it and sleep right through it smile
Nice. cool

Morten should include a pic of himself so we know he still in possession of his head. wink

Because in his shoes, I wouldn't be! crazy

Maybe his playing is sleep inducing? smirk

Hey ! smile

Tyrone Slothrop #2898988 10/10/19 01:55 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

Actually, that would be rather uncharacteristic of James to declare anything the best... except for Pianoteq.

All threads lead to Pianoteq! All they need do now is produce the multi-gigabyte version to keep everyone happy . . .

Last edited by peterws; 10/10/19 01:56 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Morten Olsson #2898993 10/10/19 02:06 PM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U

Hey ! smile

Because it's so smooth and soothing, I mean. blush whistle eek

bsharp77 #2899017 10/10/19 03:02 PM
M
M
Haha smile

Actually my 8 year old likes to go to sleep to me playing wink
The last couple of weeks where I had both the acoustic and the ES8 I put the ES8 in her room and practiced there in the evening while she went to sleep smile

Morten Olsson #2899020 10/10/19 03:11 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Haha smile

Actually my 8 year old likes to go to sleep to me playing wink
The last couple of weeks where I had both the acoustic and the ES8 I put the ES8 in her room and practiced there in the evening while she went to sleep smile

Obviously you weren't practicing the 3rd movement of the Appassionata

[Linked Image]

bsharp77 #2899023 10/10/19 03:14 PM
M
M
Indeed I was not.
At my current level easier Chopin pieces are where I’m at smile

Morten Olsson #2899025 10/10/19 03:17 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Indeed I was not.
At my current level easier Chopin pieces are where I’m at smile

Some day I'll be at your level smile

[Linked Image]

bsharp77 #2899598 10/12/19 07:24 PM
P
P

Everyone will have a different preference.
I tried Kawai CA, CLP & NU1X plus Casio GP
I might start another thread on this.
Nothing can compare to a real acoustic. There is a silent piano Yamaha,U1SH2PEQ SILENT
They gave you the best of both worlds.
I will personally go for the U1 silent.
All the so-called advanced modeling is to imitate what an acoustic piano sound and feel. Why don't we just get the real thing!

Ppff #2899624 10/12/19 09:59 PM
R
R
Originally Posted by Ppff

Everyone will have a different preference.
I tried Kawai CA, CLP & NU1X plus Casio GP
I might start another thread on this.
Nothing can compare to a real acoustic. There is a silent piano Yamaha,U1SH2PEQ SILENT
They gave you the best of both worlds.
I will personally go for the U1 silent.
All the so-called advanced modeling is to imitate what an acoustic piano sound and feel. Why don't we just get the real thing!

I would have chosen K300aures instead of U1silent in this case, to enjoy acoustic&digital soundboard driving.
Unless you have a particular preference for Yamaha products.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
bsharp77 #2904096 10/24/19 03:27 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Just a quick update,

Managed to try both a U1 and the NU1X today!

I first tried a 1980's U1, complete with a Technics silent system - all being sold by a piano dealer close to me.
The U1 was nice, action was light and fluid, easy to play and the tone was pleasing - nice and bright. The keys felt ever so slightly dull and sounded slightly muted at the very top end, but this could be from lack of use and is no big deal (i'm only talking about the last high octave) - and I'm sure could be rectified if it was to become a problem.
It comes with a Technics silent system - the action felt great even with it switched and I was very surprised just how good the sound was from what must be an ageing module. However the electronic sound is somewhat irrelevant as I could easily hook up the macbook through MIDI and have my choice of multi GB piano sounds for practising.

I then tried the NU1X at a music shop.....oh the action is just so good - a bit more responsive and bouncier than the U1, but then again it is a brand new instrument. The sound was excellent....I mean really excellent, I honestly was shocked by just how good it was.

Truth be told, the NU1X to me is a 5% better playing experience. However, we are in the upper echelons of performance here - if the NU1X felt like 98%, the U1 was 93% - so more than good enough to want to come back to every evening.

3 killer points are making me lean towards the U1.

1: The case.
It may sound silly to some, but the full size upright case will just look so, so much better in our room - the piano will be the centrepiece and the NU1X looks more like a toy in comparison. It also feels better to be sitting in front of a proper full size case.

2. The future.
However good the NU1X is - its a digital instrument. In 10 years time if for whatever reason I wanted to sell, the U1 will hold far more residual value - in fact one could call it an investment!

3. The deal.
The U1 is going for £3600. I may have a chance to trade in my Steinway Z series as a straight swap - he will take the piano warts and all - unplayed and untuned for 20 years complete with cosmetic repair work required to the lid.
This makes life so much easier - no worrying about reconditioning my piano and trying to sell privately. I'm sure the Steinway will make him some money when refurbished, but I don't think its a bad deal for both of us overall.

The only thing I could think of as a problem is i'm sure he will not stand over the technics silent system - I may just have to live with that and hope it behaves.

Is there anything i'm missing?! Just trying to make the right decision and think i've went through everything in a reasonable manner and came to the right conclusion.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Grand piano purchase advice
by Inkyte - 08/04/20 04:45 PM
Beginners Faber, Alfred, Bastien - Redundant to get all?
by onaiplatigid - 08/04/20 02:58 PM
Used/Rebuilt piano markets outside US
by Davdoc - 08/04/20 02:42 PM
Is this reasonable? Yamaha P125 malfunction
by cjlin - 08/04/20 01:28 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,712
Posts2,988,211
Members98,021
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission