Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
116 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, anotherscott, AWilley, 604Rakuda, amyram, AaronSF, akc42, AndrewJCW, Barly, 36251, 28 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: joe80] #2897991
10/07/19 04:23 PM
10/07/19 04:23 PM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 2,658
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 2,658
North Vancouver
Originally Posted by joe80
I'm not Horowitz! But thanks.

You should not say thanks Joe I have not heard you yet !
(Just joking ! )You may be a Lang Lang !
Lang Lang playing Mozart ?
Anyway it does all sound like great fun and quite diverse in
style. I always find Rickster's playing really refreshing and creatIve !
Have a wonderful time ,send and us some pictures !

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2898752
10/09/19 08:34 PM
10/09/19 08:34 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 394
Memphis, TN
Michael Taylor Offline
Full Member
Michael Taylor  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 394
Memphis, TN
Wish I could make it.....only a short drive from Memphis, but I have other plans this weekend. Have fun!


Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899211
10/11/19 10:16 AM
10/11/19 10:16 AM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,644
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,644
Georgia, USA
The day is almost here and I’ve been practicing a lot

I want to play well and give it all I’ve got

Yet, and still, my limitations are there

I hope the bobbles I make will be unaware

By those who listen, and hope they enjoy

The songs I’ll play and style I’ll employ

I always get nervous when playing for others

Whether dads, mothers, sisters or brothers

When my hands shake, and fingers tremble

It is difficult to relax, be flexible and nimble

But I try to remember why I am there

To have fun, and enjoy the music in the air

It is so much fun to play the piano

Whether playing Beethoven or Oh! Susanna

I like boogie-woogie and that’s for sure

And oldies rock-n-roll, now that’s pure

I like to write and arrange my own songs too

But sometimes I’ll forget the words before I’m through

Nevertheless, a fun time it will be

Listening to others play who are better than me

That is how we learn and grow

By watching and listening to others who know

My goal and my desire is to make someone smile

Fill their heart with joy and music they admire

Yep, it’ll be fun, for sure, without hesitation

Thanks, Sally Phillips, for the invitation! smile

Rick


Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899215
10/11/19 10:26 AM
10/11/19 10:26 AM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3,164
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3,164
Florida
Nice Rickster!!! Wish I could be there.


Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: Lady Bird] #2899216
10/11/19 10:32 AM
10/11/19 10:32 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,165
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
joe80  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,165
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by joe80
I'm not Horowitz! But thanks.

You should not say thanks Joe I have not heard you yet !
(Just joking ! )You may be a Lang Lang !
Lang Lang playing Mozart ?
Anyway it does all sound like great fun and quite diverse in
style. I always find Rickster's playing really refreshing and creatIve !
Have a wonderful time ,send and us some pictures !



Actually Lang Lang opened his BBC Proms recital with Mozart's B-flat sonata, which I have to say he played beautifully.

Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899218
10/11/19 10:33 AM
10/11/19 10:33 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,165
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
joe80  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,165
- although sometimes he doesn't know how to treat appogiaturas...... or chooses to ignore style.

Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899228
10/11/19 11:14 AM
10/11/19 11:14 AM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,458
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

4000 Post Club Member

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,458
🎹
If I'm not mistaken. Lang Lang worked Chopsticks into something lately.



"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899229
10/11/19 11:15 AM
10/11/19 11:15 AM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,458
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

4000 Post Club Member

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,458
🎹
I hope the party tomorrow is another raging succes! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and/or video! Have fun, everyone. smile



"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: Retsacnal] #2899270
10/11/19 02:31 PM
10/11/19 02:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,009
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,009
In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I hope the party tomorrow is another raging succes! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and/or video! Have fun, everyone. smile


+1. Have fun!


[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899271
10/11/19 02:31 PM
10/11/19 02:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,009
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,009
In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I hope the party tomorrow is another raging succes! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and/or video! Have fun, everyone. smile


+1. Have fun!


[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899346
10/11/19 05:58 PM
10/11/19 05:58 PM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 654
Columbus, GA
S
S. Phillips Online content OP
500 Post Club Member
S. Phillips  Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
S

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 654
Columbus, GA
Countdown to piano fun. 2PM tomorrow. I really can't wait to meet all of the folks I have been talking to for years.


Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
New Steinway, Boston and Essex pianos
www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899351
10/11/19 06:15 PM
10/11/19 06:15 PM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 7,045
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 7,045
Some day, you have to livestream your piano party for those of us not in the Georgia area. Sam S could do it! He's technical enough smile


across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2899373
10/11/19 08:09 PM
10/11/19 08:09 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,009
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,009
In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Some day, you have to livestream your piano party for those of us not in the Georgia area. Sam S could do it! He's technical enough smile



Now that is a GREAT idea!


[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899606
10/12/19 07:57 PM
10/12/19 07:57 PM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 654
Columbus, GA
S
S. Phillips Online content OP
500 Post Club Member
S. Phillips  Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
S

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 654
Columbus, GA
We had a fabulous time. Oh my, what a great group! I am sure they will weigh in tomorrow with pictures. It was so much fun for me to see such happy pianists! Everyone played some really challenging repertoire. It was a blast!


Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
New Steinway, Boston and Essex pianos
www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899630
10/12/19 10:22 PM
10/12/19 10:22 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,009
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,009
In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by S. Phillips
We had a fabulous time. Oh my, what a great group! I am sure they will weigh in tomorrow with pictures. It was so much fun for me to see such happy pianists! Everyone played some really challenging repertoire. It was a blast!


Can't wait for the pictures!


[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899631
10/12/19 10:41 PM
10/12/19 10:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,644
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,644
Georgia, USA
It was so good to see Sally Phillips and her super nice piano store today! She was an excellent host, and I got to meet her two associates/apprentices, and Sally made a great choice in choosing them. Their personalities were very warm and friendly, and they were very knowledgeable about pianos. Both were music majors and one was an extraordinarly good classical pianist. He also played for the group.

Sally's store is full of exquisitely prepped and tuned Steinways (mostly new and some preowned/rebuilt) and we got to play a new Steinway 9 foot concert grand. It sounded fantastic! Being the oddball of the PianoBuddies group (or just an oddball in general:-), I played my version of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Proud Mary" (sort of a cross between Creedence Clearwater Revival's version and Tina Turner's version), and one of my original songs, "Road to somewhere". It turned out ok, considering my hands were shaking and my fingers trembling! smile I think the group liked my playing, or at least I hope they did. I'm hoping that what I lack in piano playing skills I make up for with my good looks and charismatic personality... smile

Next, I got to meet Joe80, and he was much younger than I expected. He was tall and handsome, had a great Scottish accent, big hands, and is a fabulous classical pianist! He played for the group and his hands floated across the keyboard effortlessly and almost appeared that he was barely moving or depressing the keys. In fact, some of the PianoBuddies group, including myself, asked him to give us a demonstration after the presentations to show us how he moved his fingers so effortlessly across the keyboard. You could tell that he had invested a trememdous amount of time and effort into acquiring his superb playing skills, and I'm sure all that goes with a generous gift of natural talent. My hat is off to Joe80, and I hope I can hear him play again at some point.

Needless to say, I was very impressed with Joe80's performance, and his persona...

The PianoBuddies group had a fantastic time at Sally's store. It was so nice and kind of her to offer to host our event. Sally is the best!!

Laurie hasn't sent me any pictures yet, but she took a good many pictures. Hopefully, Joe80 won't mind if we post his picture here... if he does, he can let me know.

A fun piano day indeed, surrounded by Steinways, great pianists and piano technicians! smile

Rick


Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899632
10/12/19 10:56 PM
10/12/19 10:56 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,458
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

4000 Post Club Member

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,458
🎹
Thanks for the update, Rickster! I've always been impressed by Joe's playing when videos are linked here. And his posts are generally full of wisdom and informative too.

I'm looking forward to whatever gets posted!



"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: Rickster] #2899635
10/12/19 11:27 PM
10/12/19 11:27 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,009
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,009
In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Rickster
It was so good to see Sally Phillips and her super nice piano store today! She was an excellent host, and I got to meet her two associates/apprentices, and Sally made a great choice in choosing them. Their personalities were very warm and friendly, and they were very knowledgeable about pianos. Both were music majors and one was an extraordinarly good classical pianist. He also played for the group.

Sally's store is full of exquisitely prepped and tuned Steinways (mostly new and some preowned/rebuilt) and we got to play a new Steinway 9 foot concert grand. It sounded fantastic! Being the oddball of the PianoBuddies group (or just an oddball in general:-), I played my version of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Proud Mary" (sort of a cross between Creedence Clearwater Revival's version and Tina Turner's version), and one of my original songs, "Road to somewhere". It turned out ok, considering my hands were shaking and my fingers trembling! smile I think the group liked my playing, or at least I hope they did. I'm hoping that what I lack in piano playing skills I make up for with my good looks and charismatic personality... smile

Next, I got to meet Joe80, and he was much younger than I expected. He was tall and handsome, had a great Scottish accent, big hands, and is a fabulous classical pianist! He played for the group and his hands floated across the keyboard effortlessly and almost appeared that he was barely moving or depressing the keys. In fact, some of the PianoBuddies group, including myself, asked him to give us a demonstration after the presentations to show us how he moved his fingers so effortlessly across the keyboard. You could tell that he had invested a trememdous amount of time and effort into acquiring his superb playing skills, and I'm sure all that goes with a generous gift of natural talent. My hat is off to Joe80, and I hope I can hear him play again at some point.

Needless to say, I was very impressed with Joe80's performance, and his persona...

The PianoBuddies group had a fantastic time at Sally's store. It was so nice and kind of her to offer to host our event. Sally is the best!!

Laurie hasn't sent me any pictures yet, but she took a good many pictures. Hopefully, Joe80 won't mind if we post his picture here... if he does, he can let me know.

A fun piano day indeed, surrounded by Steinways, great pianists and piano technicians! smile

Rick



Wow, sounds so fun!


[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899668
10/13/19 05:29 AM
10/13/19 05:29 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,237
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,237
Georgia, USA
Yes, we had a great time and heard some wonderful playing. Laurie and I both have another full day today, so pictures will be coming soon.

The piece Joe80 played was the Schubert Impromptu op 90/3. We were impressed by how his fingers hardly seemed to be moving - thanks to his excellent technique and Sally's excellent regulation of the piano.

You could tell Sally was proud of her two young technicians - carrying on the tradition - they tuned all the pianos in the showroom.

Sam

Re: Piano Party in Columbus, GA October 12th [Re: S. Phillips] #2899674
10/13/19 06:11 AM
10/13/19 06:11 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 285
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
Full Member
pathguy  Offline
Full Member
P

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 285
Liverpool, NY
Looking forward to the pictures!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist wants to learn “touch-up” tuning
by Coda9. 10/17/19 07:17 PM
"Weaponizing" Off-Topic posts in large threads
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 12:30 PM
Impact Method....without Impact Hammer?
by Duaner. 10/17/19 12:04 PM
Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On Part Deux
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 11:55 AM
Philip Glass look out!!
by Peyton. 10/17/19 11:49 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,575
Posts2,880,316
Members94,698
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1