Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
121 registered members (604Rakuda, amyram, AaronSF, akc42, AWilley, AndrewJCW, AlphaBravoCharlie, Barly, 36251, 32 invisible), 1,781 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 504 of 505 1 2 502 503 504 505
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie] #2898565
10/09/19 10:46 AM
10/09/19 10:46 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline OP

7000 Post Club Member

Italy
Stubbie, I do recognize that quote. And it continues to amaze and delight me when I see how long this thread is, and how it seems to collect participants!

I am sorry to hear you’re having a tough time.
I know how disheartened I feel when something is off in my lessons.

With regards to what you and barbaram said about polishing pieces. My first teacher was never very fussed about it, but my second, and current, teacher makes it a priority to bring pieces to the best of my ability.
He feels that it’s fundamental to master making those final adjustments and really having the piece. It took me a long time to agree that this was important. I was thinking about getting through pieces to grab bits and pieces, building bricks if you will, to help me get to a higher level.
The thing is that the last stretch of getting it all coming together,paying attention to all aspects of the piece and really owning it really does take a new level of focus and dedication.
It took me a long time to be willing to dedicate the necessary time and energy to a piece.
It wasn’t until I got to playing my “dream pieces” that the concept really grabbed hold of me.

I now believe that if I had started with this teacher I would be much farther ahead on my journey.
I am not lamenting what did or didn’t happen, but I am glad that I gave “seen the light” so to speak and I really do feel the change in my learning process.

Good luck with finding the balance that works best for you!

[Linked Image]

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2898582
10/09/19 11:11 AM
10/09/19 11:11 AM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Cas, yes, I think I'm missing out on some of the skills I should have with respect to bringing it all together in a piece. I certainly don't want to bring every piece I work on to the highest level. I appreciate that some of the things I work on are for teaching purposes--Mikrokosmos, for example. Each piece focuses on some concept and they are good mind exercises. And I do like getting exposed to different pieces and composers. I started piano late and it's later still now. But. As you point out, there are things you will miss if you move on too quickly with every piece.

The first piece I've chosen to "go deep" on is one of your dream pieces, Traumerei, Op. 15 no. 7. It was the first piece from Scenes from Childhood I played and even during working on nos. 1,2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, I kept coming back to it. I expect the movement from the Mozart sonata is another I will be going deep on (my teacher's choice, really). I might go back to Debussy's Reverie as well. We'll see.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2898601
10/09/19 11:57 AM
10/09/19 11:57 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

7000 Post Club Member

Italy
Stubbie- it really tickles me that you know what my dream pieces are. I can tell you from experience that this is the perfect piece to go deep on!

I continue to work at it and try to improve it!
It’s a real puzzle at first, but once you start to see and feel the patterns it becomes clearer.

I hope you enjoy learning it as much as I have!

[Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2898692
10/09/19 04:53 PM
10/09/19 04:53 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Stubbie- it really tickles me that you know what my dream pieces are. I can tell you from experience that this is the perfect piece to go deep on!

I continue to work at it and try to improve it!
It’s a real puzzle at first, but once you start to see and feel the patterns it becomes clearer.

I hope you enjoy learning it as much as I have!
I actually "learned" it about a year ago and is the one piece of the seven (soon to be eight) from Op. 15 that I've kept coming back to (with About Strange Lands and People being a close second). I have rarely played it through to my satisfaction, though, and as you say, for such a compact piece as it is, there's so much you can--and should--do with it. It is indeed a wonderful piece.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2898810
10/10/19 03:11 AM
10/10/19 03:11 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

7000 Post Club Member

Italy
I am working on About Strange Lands and People too! It’s very pretty and not as brain twisting as Traumerei!
Yesterday in my practice session before dinner I had quite an amazing experience.
I was working on the Bach Little Prelude in C, focusing on the part where there are the trills and octaves in the left hand and the melody in the right. For the first time I could consciously “hear” in my brain what I truly SHOULD be playing at the same time as I was playing, hear the difference AND have a positive effect on the progress! It was a very different brain connection with the music and coordination- it felt amazing!
I felt “in “ the music in a completely new way.

[Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2898818
10/10/19 04:09 AM
10/10/19 04:09 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Online content
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
I am another obsessed by About Strange Lands and Peoples. I haven't yet attempted Träumerei.

I am reasonably happy with my playing of ASLaP now and I have a recording I am pretty happy with, I think improved somewhat over my recording for the last ABF recital. I also have a decent take of The Poet Speaks from the same series. I am definitely struggling with Hasche Mann, I just can't play quickly, and especially quickly and accurately.

The problem with The Poet Speaks you can learn it too quickly and it doesn't stick. When I did a new recording for it on my new piano I had to relearn it.

Last edited by KevinM; 10/10/19 04:10 AM.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2898950
10/10/19 12:42 PM
10/10/19 12:42 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Reposted from Kevin's earlier thread:

I switched to a full time faculty member earlier this year. She is a full professor, and she is absolutely amazing. The grad students / new faculty were good, but she is on a different level. I guess that's why she's been there 20 years.

She pushes me harder, but explains why and how to improve this and that. Interestingly, at the last lesson, she wanted me to push my limits, play faster, more dynamically and in doing so she stated that if I just continued to do what was comfortable, I as playing but not progressing. She felt that the way forward is to push...this will enable progress. I left one teacher b/c he kept saying play faster without telling me how. She, uniquely, shows and tells how.

So that's my AOTW - learning to play outside my comfort zone, until I improve and the new skill is my new comfort zone. I'm practicing the Chopin 72.1 Nocturne in E min faster, with faster runs, and the Grieg Sonata (part II) in this fashion.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: cmb13] #2898954
10/10/19 12:46 PM
10/10/19 12:46 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by cmb13
Reposted from Kevin's earlier thread:

I switched to a full time faculty member earlier this year. She is a full professor, and she is absolutely amazing. The grad students / new faculty were good, but she is on a different level. I guess that's why she's been there 20 years.

She pushes me harder, but explains why and how to improve this and that. Interestingly, at the last lesson, she wanted me to push my limits, play faster, more dynamically and in doing so she stated that if I just continued to do what was comfortable, I as playing but not progressing. She felt that the way forward is to push...this will enable progress. I left one teacher b/c he kept saying play faster without telling me how. She, uniquely, shows and tells how.

So that's my AOTW - learning to play outside my comfort zone, until I improve and the new skill is my new comfort zone. I'm practicing the Chopin 72.1 Nocturne in E min faster, with faster runs, and the Grieg Sonata (part II) in this fashion.

That's awesome!!! thumb

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2899463
10/12/19 11:10 AM
10/12/19 11:10 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Online content
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Hasche Mann from Schumann's Kinderszenes requires me to get out of my comfort zone, if I am going to get anywhere I have to play it fast.

I mix up my practise on it, between slow trying to get everything right and playing it as fast as I can which is still way slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrR_pWfQo7o

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2899575
10/12/19 05:47 PM
10/12/19 05:47 PM
presently Germany (Danish)
Jytte Offline

1000 Post Club Member
Jytte  Offline

1000 Post Club Member

I snug in quietly through the back door... I have been lurking for a few weeks, and was shocked and saddened to read about Monica.

I started learning piano in December 2014, after 9 months got hit by some health problems. Started back up in November '16, but had to quit again after 3 months. That was utterly demotivating. After some time moping about, I rekindled an old love (all things ancient Egypt) and found a new one (studying stone martens), both of which only requires me to sit in front of my computer. I dusted my trusty clavinova every week, but that was it.

Meanwhile I think I've learned to live with my limitations, and I started wondering if maybe I could play some. Reading posts on PW again pushed my motivation ahead. And I opened the lid...

My Achievement of the Week: Today is the 7th day of playing piano again, and yes, I'm excited about that smile

I can only play 15-20 minutes tops, but I can do that 6-7 times over the day and evening, so it ads up nicely.I worked on Bach's Prelude (BWV 846) and Burgmüller's 'Harmonie des anges' before stopping in '15, and again in '16, so I started out on those two again. While I have to relearn them all over again, I can still remember all the things my teacher told me about playing them, and it's going pretty well. The biggest shock actually was bringing out the sheets, looking at them incredulously and going 'I was able to read that???' I'm back to 'ok, so this is middle C, lemme see, what is the next one...' Pathetic.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2899581
10/12/19 06:08 PM
10/12/19 06:08 PM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Online content
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Welcome back Jytte. I wish you good health and the time to make progress, though it sounds like you are doing well without encouragement.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2899583
10/12/19 06:12 PM
10/12/19 06:12 PM
Jytte Offline

1000 Post Club Member
Jytte  Offline

1000 Post Club Member

Thank you Kevin.
Oh I think I need all the moral support I can find. Reading in here about other people starting and restarting is a great motivator.

I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Jytte] #2899584
10/12/19 06:15 PM
10/12/19 06:15 PM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Online content
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Jytte
Thank you Kevin.
Oh I think I need all the moral support I can find. Reading in here about other people starting and restarting is a great motivator.

I have been a restarter for 11 months now after a 40 year break. Loving it, wish I had restarted sooner.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: KevinM] #2899587
10/12/19 06:27 PM
10/12/19 06:27 PM
Jytte Offline

1000 Post Club Member
Jytte  Offline

1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by KevinM
Thank you Kevin.

I have been a restarter for 11 months now after a 40 year break. Loving it, wish I had restarted sooner.

I assume you played as a kid then? Did you find things 'coming back' to you after so many years?

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2899590
10/12/19 06:45 PM
10/12/19 06:45 PM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Online content
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
A surprising amount came back quite quickly. I think for the last few months now I have stopped regaining skills that were still in me, but am progressing at a typical rate for a person learning the piano. I feel I am still below the skill level I achieved as a child, but that can only now be reached by hard work.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: KevinM] #2899659
10/13/19 03:22 AM
10/13/19 03:22 AM
Jytte Offline

1000 Post Club Member
Jytte  Offline

1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by KevinM
A surprising amount came back quite quickly. I think for the last few months now I have stopped regaining skills that were still in me, but am progressing at a typical rate for a person learning the piano. I feel I am still below the skill level I achieved as a child, but that can only now be reached by hard work.

That speaks to how thoroughly you learned as a child. It's amazing how the brain works.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Jytte] #2899693
10/13/19 08:33 AM
10/13/19 08:33 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

I rekindled an old love (all things ancient Egypt)

Been there. Done that. Have a souvenir book from the voyage. cool laugh

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2899732
10/13/19 11:13 AM
10/13/19 11:13 AM
Jytte Offline

1000 Post Club Member
Jytte  Offline

1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

'Been there' is great smile But I don't think you can say 'done that' about Egypt. I doubt one will ever be done with that.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2899861
10/13/19 04:51 PM
10/13/19 04:51 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
Qwerty53  Offline

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020

Salish Sea
I delivered the music! That’s my AOTW. Last Sunday, I played a few pieces* from my small, hard-earned repertoire in front of the other students at piano camp in Bennington VT. Afterwards, several people asked me where to get the sheet music. I took this as a sign that, notwithstanding mistakes and hesitations, my performances shared some of what I love about these pieces. For someone who did not play at all two and a half years ago, this feels great.

* Granados Valses Poéticos no. 6 (Vals Sentimental) played for a master class; Dave Brubeck Nocturne no. 6 (Softly William Softly) and William Bolcom Little Song (no. 3 from Seven Easy Piano Pieces) played for the informal last-day concert.

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2899874
10/13/19 05:25 PM
10/13/19 05:25 PM
Oregon
J
JB_PW Online content
JB_PW  Online Content
J

Oregon
Piano camp! That performance must have been very satisfying.

And welcome back to the piano Jytte!

Working on:
Bach Inventions, Mendelssohn SWWs (multiple), Encore Book 1, anything by Yann Tiersen that I can get my mitts on
Page 504 of 505 1 2 502 503 504 505

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Weaponizing" Off-Topic posts in large threads
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 12:30 PM
Impact Method....without Impact Hammer?
by Duaner. 10/17/19 12:04 PM
Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On Part Deux
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 11:55 AM
Philip Glass look out!!
by Peyton. 10/17/19 11:49 AM
Remove swirl marks, polish gloss ebony finish?
by TurboMatt. 10/17/19 10:48 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,575
Posts2,880,303
Members94,698
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission