Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
112 registered members (AWilley, AndrewJCW, AlphaBravoCharlie, Bruce In Philly, Barly, 36251, AYS, 30 invisible), 1,841 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: RmntcPianoLvr] #2898938
10/10/19 12:18 PM
10/10/19 12:18 PM
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RonaldSteinway  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Good teachers also have a lot of demand, therefore, they do not want to deal with problematic students. They will get rid of those kinds of students (the students that you mentioned). But before they can do that, they need to be a successful teacher first to make people want to take lesson from them. At the end of the day, bad teachers will end up with problematic students whom nobody wants to take. That is why it is very important to see the fruits.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: RonaldSteinway] #2899072
10/10/19 07:01 PM
10/10/19 07:01 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Good teachers also have a lot of demand, therefore, they do not want to deal with problematic students. They will get rid of those kinds of students (the students that you mentioned). But before they can do that, they need to be a successful teacher first to make people want to take lesson from them. At the end of the day, bad teachers will end up with problematic students whom nobody wants to take. That is why it is very important to see the fruits.

That's a very simplistic view of the world. What if you are a great teacher who is stuck in an area with stupid kids? Or very few kids? Or 476 other great piano teachers?

I end up with problematic students whom nobody wants to take. Does that make me a bad teacher?

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: RonaldSteinway] #2899132
10/11/19 12:16 AM
10/11/19 12:16 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland

If good teachers get rid of difficult students, then how do you know if they are good in teaching you by just looking at their students in recitals? Some people are harder to teach because of other reasons than lazyness. Imo good teachers can also sometimes help a student who struggles with time or motivation issues. Especially when learning is slow or there are learning difficulties, the teachers's skills are really put into the test. Those who can help such students to enjoy their journey and reach at least some of their goals are great teachers imo, no matter how "badly" they students may do in a recital. Sometimes it can be a huge win to just get them to perform. I've also heard that some teachers don't allow everyone to perform so that they don't look bad.

I think it's fine to wean out all the unmusical, stupid, slow learners or whatever people label the poor students if the goal is to develope professional musicians. But it is rarely so in private teaching these days so I think we should evaluate how the teacher works, not how the students play. Some people seem to put all the responsibility on the (paying) student which I find odd. A very narrow way of teaching where the teacher's role is purely technical and no people skills or understanding of different needs of the students are required.

Last edited by outo; 10/11/19 12:30 AM.
Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: AZNpiano] #2899220
10/11/19 10:43 AM
10/11/19 10:43 AM
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RonaldSteinway  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by AZNpiano

That's a very simplistic view of the world. What if you are a great teacher who is stuck in an area with stupid kids? Or very few kids? Or 476 other great piano teachers?

I end up with problematic students whom nobody wants to take. Does that make me a bad teacher?

Your statement is not realistic! People will drive from afar to take lesson from a great teacher. Great teachers will attract good students. You know that, for you have been in the industry for a long time. The reason you need to take problematic students because you have openings for them, good teachers have no time.

Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: outo] #2899221
10/11/19 10:46 AM
10/11/19 10:46 AM
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RonaldSteinway  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by outo

If good teachers get rid of difficult students, then how do you know if they are good in teaching you by just looking at their students in recitals? Some people are harder to teach because of other reasons than lazyness. Imo good teachers can also sometimes help a student who struggles with time or motivation issues. Especially when learning is slow or there are learning difficulties, the teachers's skills are really put into the test. Those who can help such students to enjoy their journey and reach at least some of their goals are great teachers imo, no matter how "badly" they students may do in a recital. Sometimes it can be a huge win to just get them to perform. I've also heard that some teachers don't allow everyone to perform so that they don't look bad.

I think it's fine to wean out all the unmusical, stupid, slow learners or whatever people label the poor students if the goal is to develope professional musicians. But it is rarely so in private teaching these days so I think we should evaluate how the teacher works, not how the students play. Some people seem to put all the responsibility on the (paying) student which I find odd. A very narrow way of teaching where the teacher's role is purely technical and no people skills or understanding of different needs of the students are required.

Students are like a stock portfolio, you keep the good ones and get rid the bad ones. I have never known teachers who are so eager to keep the bad ones.

Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: RmntcPianoLvr] #2899231
10/11/19 11:27 AM
10/11/19 11:27 AM
Sweden
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Judging students is a very strange way to classify teachers as good or not good. It is not difficult to be a good teacher to a motivated, open-minded, musical and diligent student. It is much harder to be a good teacher to someone without musicality, who is autistic, or has Down's syndrome, or ADHD, who needs to be motivated to practise, etc. Some teachers actually have a special place in their heart for challenging students and if they succeed in teaching those students to play the piano, that is a huge accomplishment. In my book, a good teacher can work with anybody, with the talented and with those much less talented.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: RonaldSteinway] #2899282
10/11/19 03:16 PM
10/11/19 03:16 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Students are like a stock portfolio, you keep the good ones and get rid the bad ones. I have never known teachers who are so eager to keep the bad ones.

These "teachers" are more interested in making themselves look good so they can demand a higher fee.

In my opinion, a great teacher can teach anybody.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: AZNpiano] #2899377
10/11/19 08:31 PM
10/11/19 08:31 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

T

In my opinion, a great teacher can teach anybody.

I agree, but would add an "almost" to the can teach anybody.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Weaponizing" Off-Topic posts in large threads
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 12:30 PM
Impact Method....without Impact Hammer?
by Duaner. 10/17/19 12:04 PM
Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On Part Deux
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 11:55 AM
Philip Glass look out!!
by Peyton. 10/17/19 11:49 AM
Remove swirl marks, polish gloss ebony finish?
by TurboMatt. 10/17/19 10:48 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,575
Posts2,880,303
Members94,698
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission