Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
118 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, anotherscott, AWilley, 604Rakuda, amyram, AaronSF, akc42, AndrewJCW, Barly, 36251, 29 invisible), 1,738 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: JimmyShand] #2890864
09/16/19 07:12 AM
09/16/19 07:12 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Growing up in the suburb of a larger city, my elementary school arranged an educational field trip to go listen/watch an outdoor performance of Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf. I definitely appreciate though that who grew up in more rural environments or other countries, might not have had the same opportunities.

[Linked Image]

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: dogperson] #2890881
09/16/19 07:51 AM
09/16/19 07:51 AM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Originally Posted by JimmyShand
One of my kids is learning Ode to Joy. She likes it. Neither her, nor her family, knew the piece, or had heard of the composer ...

eek

That's quite extraordinary (I hope)!!!

Nope.not extraordinary. If you are not part of a musical listening family, you would not know it existed.
I was not, and I did not.

Not knowing a piece is understandable, but they had never even heard of Beethoven.

Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: JimmyShand] #2890886
09/16/19 08:07 AM
09/16/19 08:07 AM
J
JimmyShand Offline OP
JimmyShand  Offline OP
J

In fairness this is a family from an ethnic minority who probably had little access to western music while growing up. The father I believe played harmonium as a child, but wants his kids, now in UK, to learn piano.

I was just making the point that in order to motivate a child with music they like, you can often these days certainly where I am need to expose them to enough music for them to KNOW what they like - and that isn't always easy. The suggestion to play them something different every week is a good one.

I have considered a few times setting some 'homework' of listening to a particular piece of music, but it does in most circumstances involve the parents as most of my kids (YMMV) have restricted tablet time and internet access.

Have any of you ever tried to do such a thing?

Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: johnstaf] #2890888
09/16/19 08:25 AM
09/16/19 08:25 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
One of my kids is learning Ode to Joy. She likes it. Neither her, nor her family, knew the piece, or had heard of the composer ...

eek

That's quite extraordinary (I hope)!!!

Nope.not extraordinary. If you are not part of a musical listening family, you would not know it existed.
I was not, and I did not.

Not knowing a piece is understandable, but they had never even heard of Beethoven.

Really? You are making assumptions. I came from an upper middle class family, in the US, but there was never music played or discussed. Never. There was not an interest. I did not attend a rural school but there were not field trips to a concert. So, I was like this child.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: JimmyShand] #2890892
09/16/19 08:49 AM
09/16/19 08:49 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
I am surprised that many of my 29yo son's acquaintances have no zero clue as to any classical composer. He has been asked who Chopin is. Sad notice on the typical American education.

[Linked Image]
Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: dogperson] #2890900
09/16/19 09:13 AM
09/16/19 09:13 AM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin

Really? You are making assumptions. I came from an upper middle class family, in the US, but there was never music played or discussed. Never. There was not an interest. I did not attend a rural school but there were not field trips to a concert. So, I was like this child.

Sorry. I just assumed (wrongly as it turns out), that there was a certain level of music knowledge that everyone had.

I come from a lower socio-economic class (doesn't the term "class" for human beings make you want to gag?), but I remember we had to learn things like the instruments of the orchestra, and the great composers. I just thought it was a fundamental part of education. We didn't have music as a separate subject.

Last edited by johnstaf; 09/16/19 09:17 AM.
Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: johnstaf] #2890904
09/16/19 09:26 AM
09/16/19 09:26 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida

Sorry. I just assumed (wrongly as it turns out), that there was a certain level of music knowledge that everyone had.

I come from a lower socio-economic class (doesn't the term "class" for human beings make you want to gag?), but I remember we had to learn things like the instruments of the orchestra, and the great composers. I just thought it was a fundamental part of education. We didn't have music as a separate subject.

No problem; we all make assumptions based on our own life experiences . Everyday 😊 and yes, the word ‘class’ is horrible on face value. Maybe group would be much better.... since class for any group doesn’t mean you are or not ‘classy’.

Coaster is actually teaching a music appreciation class in jr high, and her students seem to love it. Wish it were done more frequently.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: johnstaf] #2890905
09/16/19 09:28 AM
09/16/19 09:28 AM

7000 Post Club Member

I just thought it was a fundamental part of education. We didn't have music as a separate subject.

Just because something is a fundamental part of education doesn't mean the average person would know it. As just one example in a different area, civics and/or American government are required subjects in most US school systems, yet only a quarter of Americans can name the three branches of the US Government.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: JimmyShand] #2890950
09/16/19 11:42 AM
09/16/19 11:42 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

In fairness this is a family from an ethnic minority who probably had little access to western music while growing up. The father I believe played harmonium as a child, but wants his kids, now in UK, to learn piano.

I was just making the point that in order to motivate a child with music they like, you can often these days certainly where I am need to expose them to enough music for them to KNOW what they like - and that isn't always easy. The suggestion to play them something different every week is a good one.

Until my first teacher played classical piano pieces for me at the end of every lesson, I'd never heard any classical music at all. There was never any music at home. I was ten, and all I ever heard was a bit of pop (from friend's radio-cassette recorders) and movie music (from, er, movies). She literally changed my outlook on music, not just by playing for me everything from Les Barricades Mystérieuses to Visions fugitives via Rondo alla turca and Spring Song, but by how she played all the pieces - with musicality, great expression and brilliance.......and always from the score. Impressionable young minds get shaped for life by such proselytization, without which I'd only ever know Love Story (which was what I kept pestering my teacher to play for me until she successfully weaned me off onto more suitable stuff......):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25z1mIDGk6E

Incidentally, about Ode to Joy, I'd guess that 99.99% of the British population have never heard it, or if they did, don't know who the composer is. Even though it has been adopted as the European Anthem for decades......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: dogperson] #2891080
09/16/19 05:40 PM
09/16/19 05:40 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Don’t you think most everyone has a particular style/piece of music they like. But If they really have no interest in music of any kind, and don’t want to play anything ....., why is their teacher continuing lessons??????

Because we have bills to pay?

More seriously, it's always a judgment call on each individual student. Some kids NEED the mental discipline offered by music education, and some kids need music to raise their IQ or whatever low intelligence they came with. In those cases I let lessons continue. However, I have seen some kids who are perfectly functional and well-behaved and intelligent, who just have ZERO penchant for piano or music of any kind. In those cases, I might want to just let them go to pursue something else. However, that is extremely rare.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: NobleHouse] #2891170
09/17/19 02:30 AM
09/17/19 02:30 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
I am surprised that many of my 29yo son's acquaintances have no zero clue as to any classical composer. He has been asked who Chopin is. Sad notice on the typical American education.

It depends on the school district and its priorities. Some districts face the problem of having kids who can't read/write/speak English properly, so they end up with an extra period of Language Arts for these non-fluent kids. At my district, students who are not fluent in English or failed basic math on standardized tests are REQUIRED to take extra classes of remedial English or Math, or both, and those kids do not have the option of taking an elective like orchestra or chorus or band. The last time I checked this problem went for 2/3 of the school.

Until schools can figure out a solution to their challenges, the arts will have to wait.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have these affluent school districts with middle school orchestras that will blow your mind. That's middle school. Every single student is taking private lessons and doing Suzuki level 8 or above. Many of my piano students attend such a school, and if you get a chance to talk to them, they'll tell you the Orchestra teacher is next to worthless--all the "teaching" is done by private teachers. The school teacher doesn't know a slick.

Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: AZNpiano] #2891239
09/17/19 09:00 AM
09/17/19 09:00 AM
USA
A
Andamento Offline
Andamento  Offline
A

USA
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Many of my piano students attend such a school, and if you get a chance to talk to them, they'll tell you the Orchestra teacher is next to worthless--all the "teaching" is done by private teachers. The school teacher doesn't know a slick.

Tell me about it. My high school Orchestra teacher was a bassoonist, hired because he was a friend of the principal.

No offense to bassoon players, but when you have a teacher who only plays that, and not any stringed instruments that his students play, and most of the students don't take private string lessons... Need I say more? Our sound was ghastly (though I didn't realize it until after I went to university and had a competent Orchestra director).

I was, though, one of the lucky few in high school whose parents could afford private instruction, but since I didn't start viola until the end of 9th grade, the ensemble playing experience did hardly anything to prepare me for joining the orchestra at university three and a half years later. A rude awakening, upon starting college, at how incompetent a player I really was, though I had gotten to first chair in the high school orchestra by sometime in my junior year.

Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: JimmyShand] #2892856
09/21/19 09:27 PM
09/21/19 09:27 PM
USA
missbelle Offline
missbelle  Offline

USA
Ode to Joy is a primer level piece in Piano Adventures.
I always play a "full" version of it and half the time they DO know it, because we have a good private school music program and chapel.
What I have learned to do:
I ask the student to write down three facts about Beethoven. "One of them may surprise you!" (some students already know)
More than once, a parent was stunned to learn of his developed deafness and yet he still composed.

As for note reading, I have drills, like math quizzes, on naming notes. 12 levels, starting in seconds only, then thirds, bass and treble clef. Sometimes I do it during lesson, and with the keys covered! I make a big deal of setting the timer, and give a prize after all 12 levels are done. (can taken months)

Also, Piano Adventures offers a Sightreading book that I am utilizing more and more, Just enough variation so as not to memorize. I often begin a lesson with sight reading warm-ups from other series books I've collected over the years.

Last edited by missbelle; 09/21/19 09:28 PM.

Learning as I teach.
Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: JimmyShand] #2897800
10/07/19 06:45 AM
10/07/19 06:45 AM
J
JimmyShand Offline OP
JimmyShand  Offline OP
J

The younger of the two, who is the worst from a laziness perspective, I've started bringing in an easy piece each week that she must learn on her own.

I didn't know about the PA sightreading book - will have a look out for that.

Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: JimmyShand] #2898592
10/09/19 11:38 AM
10/09/19 11:38 AM
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RonaldSteinway  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Background - two young siblings, 8 and 7 years old. Fairly able, esp the older. He has just passed his G1 ABRSM, she is working towards it. I've taught them nearly a year, they had a teacher before that who retired from ill health, and I think some early lessons in pre school.

They just will not read the notes. They can, but just try to memorise. This isn't uncommon of course, but these two just take to beyond. I've tried teaching intervals, using Every Good Boy, sight reading and learning simple pieces quickly, explaining to them why it matters, holding a bit of card over their hands so they can't see them! :-) but nothing seems to stick.

Every lesson they stare at their fingers as though the meaning of life is written there, guessing notes.

The parents are keen for them to learn, aware of the issue, but with little if any musical training themselves.

Anyone got any ideas and tips to work on this?

Thanks

70% of average students are like that. Only the smart 30% students who can see the relationship between what on the book and what they are doing. Eventually, when they get older, they will get it.

Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: JimmyShand] #2898665
10/09/19 03:34 PM
10/09/19 03:34 PM
S
solo8 Offline
solo8  Offline
S

Has anyone here tried Piano Marvel for the kids? I once saw this wonderful setup where two of my cousins' kids practiced SASR (Standard Assessment of Sight Reading) on a MIDI keyboard connected on-line to the website, www.pianomarvel.com. (The teacher used this setup for one kid to practice sight reading by himself in a separate room while she was teaching the other kid on her acoustic grand.)

The app displays random pieces from a (seemingly rich) library according to gradually progressing levels of complexity, gives cues for the student to play along and flags the missed notes. The app keeps track of the progress (based on the number of errors, I guess) and displays the score at the end. The challenge is similar to that of simple video games, which could help keeping the kids' interest. But the interactive nature of this (instant feedback) is the main advantage compared to 'lonesome' practice with books.

There are other threads in the Adult Beginners forum about Piano Marvel (where SASR is only a small part of the program) but I haven't read enough to know if SASR is discussed there. Those who have, please chime in.

Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: solo8] #2898668
10/09/19 03:40 PM
10/09/19 03:40 PM

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by solo8
There are other threads in the Adult Beginners forum about Piano Marvel (where SASR is only a small part of the program) but I haven't read enough to know if SASR is discussed there. Those who have, please chime in.

Yes, SASR is frequently discussed in that thread, including with one the the employees of PM.

Re: Kids who will not read the notes [Re: missbelle] #2899339
10/11/19 05:33 PM
10/11/19 05:33 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by missbelle
Also, Piano Adventures offers a Sightreading book that I am utilizing more and more, Just enough variation so as not to memorize.

And that approach puzzles me to no end. Why would anybody do that? How is that sight reading?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Weaponizing" Off-Topic posts in large threads
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 12:30 PM
Impact Method....without Impact Hammer?
by Duaner. 10/17/19 12:04 PM
Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On Part Deux
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 11:55 AM
Philip Glass look out!!
by Peyton. 10/17/19 11:49 AM
Remove swirl marks, polish gloss ebony finish?
by TurboMatt. 10/17/19 10:48 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,575
Posts2,880,316
Members94,698
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission