2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sparkly Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi,

My daughter has just started on Faber Piano Adventures Level 2A and I would like to know if the Pathways to Artistry Masterwork Classics and Repertoire book 1 is ok for her to use at home by herself?

She practises frequently on the piano (several sessions of minimum 20 mins on the piano daily) and she has run out of songs to practice on the Piano Adventures books that she used for lessons.

So I wanted to buy some books for her so she can have more songs to practise. I came across Pathways to Artistry and I let her tried out one song from the Repertoire book 1 and she could play the song (and enjoyed it very much). So is this series of books good for home practises? I can find some videos on YouTube which could help her if she ever got stuck.

Thanks.

Jas

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Are you talking about the books by Catherine Rollin? The repertoire books are excellent, but they are far too difficult for students who are still doing PA 2A.

The Fabers published numerous other books at the 2A level, and you should look at those for compatibility.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
S
Sparkly Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I see. Thanks. What level of PA should my daughter be in before she can start on the Repertoire book (book 1) by Catherine Rollin?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
3A or 3B.

In any event, you should probably discuss this matter with the piano teacher instead of asking for advice on the Internet. I've had students whose parents tried to "help them" at home, but the help was in fact making things worse. A LOT worse.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I use Piano Adventures and the Performance books have wonderful pieces, as well as the corresponding Pop, Classical and seasonal books. I would discuss with her teacher, however, before purchasing other books.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
S
Sparkly Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
3A or 3B.

In any event, you should probably discuss this matter with the piano teacher instead of asking for advice on the Internet. I've had students whose parents tried to "help them" at home, but the help was in fact making things worse. A LOT worse.

Thanks for the advise.

I am just trying to find more songs for my daughter to play. We only have one lesson a week and my daughter practises the piano a few times daily. By day 4 she is already tired of the new songs that she had learnt earlier in the week. So I thought of getting more books for her so she can play casually at home.

Is that a bad idea?

P.S. My husband and I know nothing about music

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sparkly

I am just trying to find more songs for my daughter to play. We only have one lesson a week and my daughter practises the piano a few times daily. By day 4 she is already tired of the new songs that she had learnt earlier in the week. So I thought of getting more books for her so she can play casually at home.

Say this exact thing to your daughter's teacher.

Learner
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
P.S. My husband and I know nothing about music

Then you should avoid interfering with lessons. If your daughter gets bored easily, it doesn't mean she has already mastered the material. Your daughter's teacher is best equipped to answer your questions since strangers on the Internet don't have all the information to give you the best advice.

Actually, it doesn't matter if the parents know music or not. The absolute WORST parents I've ever worked for also played piano, and they think they can teach better than I can.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

It is time for you to consult with her teacher. wink If your daughter is tired of her material there are a number of possibilities. It may not be challenging enough, or she is not getting out of / putting into it what she should. Is her teacher satisfied with her progress when she comes in every week to lessons? Does her teacher know that your daughter might feel she is not challenged enough? These are the kinds of things you should be checking with your child's teacher, so that the teacher can make adjustments.

Originally Posted by keystring

It is time for you to consult with her teacher. wink If your daughter is tired of her material there are a number of possibilities. It may not be challenging enough, or she is not getting out of / putting into it what she should. Is her teacher satisfied with her progress when she comes in every week to lessons? Does her teacher know that your daughter might feel she is not challenged enough? These are the kinds of things you should be checking with your child's teacher, so that the teacher can make adjustments.

Completely agree. I know I have a few students/parents who feel like they "run out" of things to do during the week and go ahead and learn other things. Sometimes this is okay, but often times they get into playing things that interfere with the sequence I have planned for them. If I know the student needs new material to fill their (mandated) practice time at home, I will give them specific pieces or repertoire books to supplement what we're doing together in the lesson. I'm sure the OP's teacher will have some suggestions.
As well, I like to encourage students to record their pieces at home so they can hear if they have actually mastered a piece. Many kids think they are "done" with a piece and ready to move on, when really they have only scratched the surface.

Private piano teacher
B. Mus., M.Mus. (piano performance & pedagogy).
S
Sparkly Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks all, I will check with her teacher at next lesson.

I was given some repertoire books by a friend. Will also check with teacher if it's ok for my daughter to play.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission