2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tonio Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Has anyone purchased this VI yet? I'm very tempted, but the middle range of samples have a tone that does not quite sound authentic....or maybe I have a picky ear about it. I use the Garritan and Noire CFX models and love both, but they are Yamaha and I really don't have a good Steinway. Anyway...if you've picked this up, lemme know how you like it. Today is the last day to get it for $119.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Ilok required, unfortunately.
So ... piano rejected, unfortunately.

G
G
I don't think it requires iLok? Looks like it's just watermarked, according to the info on the site. I don't think there are any iLok'd Kontakt instruments.

And from the videos I've seen of it, it looks more like a scoring piano. I'm gonna pass on this one for the moment, might grab it on a sale though.

Don't look at me. The web site said Ilok.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Grazilerimba
And from the videos I've seen of it, it looks more like a scoring piano.

What is a "scoring piano"? confused

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
G
G
Wait, where does it say that on the site? If you scroll down there are four tabs at the bottom. In requirements it doesn't state iLok. there is a tab "watermarking".
I don't know if "scoring piano" is a thing, what I mean is a piano to be used within your DAW software for composition purposes, instead of being played live. What I mean is that I don't feel like this piano shines when you play it in real time. But I don't know.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

A piano that scores frequently! grin

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
A piano that scores frequently! grin

Is this the secret that eluded me back when I was in school? I just needed a piano to solve matters for me???

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
B
B
To answer a few questions from the info I have, a scoring piano is primarily intended for music composition with either playing or drawing in the notes, and for use with other instrumentation to provide an atmospheric backdrop. Usually these libraries add some special variants or effects in using filters, modulators, or envelopes to give some sound shaping options. These are not intended as a priority to be highly playable substitutes for an acoustic piano.

That being said, Ascend offers 18 velocity layers with the basic core piano according to the developer and some attempt at including sympathetic resonance. I do not, however, see any half or repedal support. I'm not sure also if there are separate pedal down samples. I do like the sound and it is on my list to consider though as I think I could tweak it a bit. There are three mics offered, which is nice, and a variety of special patches with just the ppp layer, the strings stuck or bowed, and modulations between different soundsets.

As far as iLok, this is a Kontakt library that works in the free player version as well. Kontakt does not use iLok. So iLok is not required. It is watermarked where they embed a 'sonic' fingerprint in samples somewhere so if they find a pirated copy they can trace it back to the customer. Generally though this is more of a scare tactic to get people to avoid pirated copies. Although the intro price is reasonable, Heavyocity will eventually offer a better deal, perhaps during black Friday. If you want a more playable library under Kontakt, I would look at Vintage D or Grandeur for a Steinway D, or Noire for a CFX although Noire is a little more diffuse sounding and not as good for fast passage work.

G
G
Thank you for clearing that up bsntn99, appreciate the info.

T
Tonio Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks bsntn....as I was thinking too...probably go on sale again. That mid range just doesn’t turn me on. Sounds quite thin and cheap. But, I *do* like the options for designing a unique patch. Noire gives me quite a bit of that tho.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
"First Look" at the Heavocity Ascend piano by Daniel James; it gives an idea of some sounds and the interface.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission