2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
74 registered members (AB99, 36251, Carey, Coker, bxrdad1, albydooby, Bill McKaig,RPT, accordeur, CharlesXX, 16 invisible), 435 guests, and 541 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Korg LP-380 - recommended for a beginner? #2898178 10/08/19 08:32 AM
K
KamaL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hello everyone!
I'm a beginner piano learner, and already have an upright YAMAHA U2 piano which I really love. Unfortunately I can't play on it most of the time as we moved to another house, and my Yamaha will stay in my parents house.

I'm looking for a sub-1000$ digital piano I can practice with, especially at night with headphones.
The most important factors of course are key action and sound quality, especially through headphones. I really want it to have a wood stand and 3 pedals to give an experience similar to my upright piano. I know that no piano in this budget will come even close to my U2, but I still want to enjoy playing on it. I will be able to play on my Yamaha U2 during weekends of course smile

I tried the Roland FP-30, I really liked the key action, but sound on headphones wasn't the best, and it's a bit over my budget when bought with the stand and 3 pedals.

I found a good deal on a lightly-used KORG LP-380 with a good piano bench, It has a really small factor, which is great, and a stand and 3 pedals.
O'm looking for reviews and real-life experience with this model, especially comparing it with other pianos in this price range.

- Do you recommend it for a beginner?
- How is sound quality and key action compared to other digital pianos in this budget like the Roland FP-30, Yamaha P-125 and Kawai ES110?
- Is the sound quality good through headphones, which will be my main use?
- WIll it be easy to connect it through a midi adapter to my iPad or android tablet to use piano lesson apps for improving my skills? Will I really notice the lack of wireless BT onnectivity ?

Thanks in advance!!

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Korg LP-380 - recommended for a beginner? [Re: KamaL] #2898469 10/09/19 04:39 AM
K
KamaL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Any real-life impressions on this model?
Thanks !

Re: Korg LP-380 - recommended for a beginner? [Re: KamaL] #2898495 10/09/19 06:26 AM
K
kj85 Offline
K
From the lack of responses, I suspect there aren't many people here who own Korg DPs. While the same holds true for me, I do have some thoughts.

• The LP380 uses Korg's best action, the RH3. It is one of the better actions in the sub-$1,000 price range. However, most people would consider the PHA-4 action found in the Roland FP-30 to be the best of the lot.
  • The LP380 has real midi jacks. So you shouldn't have a problem connecting it to any computing device using an adapter.
  • While it comes with the stand and three-pedal unit and also supports half-pedaling, it is an older (2013) model. They launched the G1 Air in 2017-18 and that comes with bluetooth support. Obviously, the pricing will differ.

If you have a $1,000 budget, there aren't too many great choices once you have excluded the FP-30. I suggest that you try the ES110 and a couple of the newer Casios (the PX-S1000, for example) and compare them with the LP380. And, pick the one you like best.

Re: Korg LP-380 - recommended for a beginner? [Re: kj85] #2898637 10/09/19 12:50 PM
K
KamaL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by kj85
From the lack of responses, I suspect there aren't many people here who own Korg DPs. While the same holds true for me, I do have some thoughts.

• The LP380 uses Korg's best action, the RH3. It is one of the better actions in the sub-$1,000 price range. However, most people would consider the PHA-4 action found in the Roland FP-30 to be the best of the lot.
  • The LP380 has real midi jacks. So you shouldn't have a problem connecting it to any computing device using an adapter.
  • While it comes with the stand and three-pedal unit and also supports half-pedaling, it is an older (2013) model. They launched the G1 Air in 2017-18 and that comes with bluetooth support. Obviously, the pricing will differ.

If you have a $1,000 budget, there aren't too many great choices once you have excluded the FP-30. I suggest that you try the ES110 and a couple of the newer Casios (the PX-S1000, for example) and compare them with the LP380. And, pick the one you like best.

Thank you for the reply.
There's are indeed not may reviews on this model, it seems to be much less popular than the other models mentioned above.
The other models' price becomes beyond my budget if I consider the stand and 3 pedals, but I'm interested to know if someone tried the Korg and can compare it with other models in the same category.
Although bluetooth is a nice addition, I don't think it's a must, and a midi to USB cable will do the job AFAIK.

Re: Korg LP-380 - recommended for a beginner? [Re: KamaL] #2898693 10/09/19 03:55 PM
R
RobG Offline
R
Hello
I own the Korg G1 Air and while it is not the LP 380 it has the exact same RH3 action and I assume same sound
engine
I really love the RH3 action very much-- I previously owned the Kawai ES 110 and while that is very nice as well I prefer
the RH3 action on the Korg as it is firmer ( the Kawai was lighter action) and very responsive
Also the sound of the German Grand on the Korg is very nice and for that price exceptional
You will be happy with the LP380
Built in Japan so very well made and solid feeling

Re: Korg LP-380 - recommended for a beginner? [Re: KamaL] #2898998 10/10/19 01:09 PM
K
KamaL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by RobG
Hello
I own the Korg G1 Air and while it is not the LP 380 it has the exact same RH3 action and I assume same sound
engine
I really love the RH3 action very much-- I previously owned the Kawai ES 110 and while that is very nice as well I prefer
the RH3 action on the Korg as it is firmer ( the Kawai was lighter action) and very responsive
Also the sound of the German Grand on the Korg is very nice and for that price exceptional
You will be happy with the LP380
Built in Japan so very well made and solid feeling

Thanks! That's good to know.
Did you ever try the PHA-4 action found in the Roland pianos? How is ti compared to the Korg?

Thanks

Re: Korg LP-380 - recommended for a beginner? [Re: KamaL] #2899051 10/10/19 03:53 PM
B
Bosendorff Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by KamaL
I found a good deal on a lightly-used KORG LP-380 with a good piano bench, It has a really small factor, which is great, and a stand and 3 pedals.
O'm looking for reviews and real-life experience with this model, especially comparing it with other pianos in this price range.

Hi there,

The Korg RH3 action is excellent and very solid. Much better quality and reliability compared to Fatar actions found on many DPs. I enjoy playing advanced classical piano repertoire on my Kronos several hours daily (when I can't use my acoustic grand piano). The action works as perfectly as in day one after three years. As a comparison, after only one year of similar practice, the Fatar action on an earlier DP was giving up with all kinds of noises and contact problems.

I'm sure the LP-380 offers similar piano experience as on my Korg. I also practice mostly in headphones with the digital instrument, so I recommend you invest in good quality headphones. I personally ended up choosing the Shure SRH840 for their excellent frequency range and slight natural bass boost which is perfect for the Korg sounds.

Re: Korg LP-380 - recommended for a beginner? [Re: KamaL] #2899234 10/11/19 10:37 AM
R
RobG Offline
R
Yes I did try the Roland PHA-4 and it is very good but I prefer the Korg RH3 over it

Re: Korg LP-380 - recommended for a beginner? [Re: KamaL] #2899267 10/11/19 01:18 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
I like the RH3, I think it's generally an underrated mid-range action, very similar in feel to Yamaha GH in a lot of ways.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10

Moderated by  Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
grades of pieces
by Kaori Miyamoto - 02/24/20 05:40 PM
Roland FP10 vs Yamaha125 or alternative?
by Ilin - 02/24/20 03:06 PM
Snippets of Pieces I've Been Composing
by PianoYos - 02/24/20 02:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,168
Posts2,929,557
Members96,101
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission