2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
23 registered members (AZNpiano, 3am_stargazing, grd-dan, Dieci990, AB99, amyram, David B, ando, 4 invisible), 395 guests, and 437 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: RmntcPianoLvr] #2898938 10/10/19 11:18 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,749
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,749
Good teachers also have a lot of demand, therefore, they do not want to deal with problematic students. They will get rid of those kinds of students (the students that you mentioned). But before they can do that, they need to be a successful teacher first to make people want to take lesson from them. At the end of the day, bad teachers will end up with problematic students whom nobody wants to take. That is why it is very important to see the fruits.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: RonaldSteinway] #2899072 10/10/19 06:01 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,375
AZNpiano Online Happy
8000 Post Club Member
Online Happy
8000 Post Club Member
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,375
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Good teachers also have a lot of demand, therefore, they do not want to deal with problematic students. They will get rid of those kinds of students (the students that you mentioned). But before they can do that, they need to be a successful teacher first to make people want to take lesson from them. At the end of the day, bad teachers will end up with problematic students whom nobody wants to take. That is why it is very important to see the fruits.

That's a very simplistic view of the world. What if you are a great teacher who is stuck in an area with stupid kids? Or very few kids? Or 476 other great piano teachers?

I end up with problematic students whom nobody wants to take. Does that make me a bad teacher?


Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: RonaldSteinway] #2899132 10/10/19 11:16 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,758
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,758
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Good teachers also have a lot of demand, therefore, they do not want to deal with problematic students. They will get rid of those kinds of students (the students that you mentioned). But before they can do that, they need to be a successful teacher first to make people want to take lesson from them. At the end of the day, bad teachers will end up with problematic students whom nobody wants to take. That is why it is very important to see the fruits.


If good teachers get rid of difficult students, then how do you know if they are good in teaching you by just looking at their students in recitals? Some people are harder to teach because of other reasons than lazyness. Imo good teachers can also sometimes help a student who struggles with time or motivation issues. Especially when learning is slow or there are learning difficulties, the teachers's skills are really put into the test. Those who can help such students to enjoy their journey and reach at least some of their goals are great teachers imo, no matter how "badly" they students may do in a recital. Sometimes it can be a huge win to just get them to perform. I've also heard that some teachers don't allow everyone to perform so that they don't look bad.

I think it's fine to wean out all the unmusical, stupid, slow learners or whatever people label the poor students if the goal is to develope professional musicians. But it is rarely so in private teaching these days so I think we should evaluate how the teacher works, not how the students play. Some people seem to put all the responsibility on the (paying) student which I find odd. A very narrow way of teaching where the teacher's role is purely technical and no people skills or understanding of different needs of the students are required.

Last edited by outo; 10/10/19 11:30 PM.
Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: AZNpiano] #2899220 10/11/19 09:43 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,749
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,749
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

That's a very simplistic view of the world. What if you are a great teacher who is stuck in an area with stupid kids? Or very few kids? Or 476 other great piano teachers?

I end up with problematic students whom nobody wants to take. Does that make me a bad teacher?


Your statement is not realistic! People will drive from afar to take lesson from a great teacher. Great teachers will attract good students. You know that, for you have been in the industry for a long time. The reason you need to take problematic students because you have openings for them, good teachers have no time.

Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: outo] #2899221 10/11/19 09:46 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,749
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,749
Originally Posted by outo


If good teachers get rid of difficult students, then how do you know if they are good in teaching you by just looking at their students in recitals? Some people are harder to teach because of other reasons than lazyness. Imo good teachers can also sometimes help a student who struggles with time or motivation issues. Especially when learning is slow or there are learning difficulties, the teachers's skills are really put into the test. Those who can help such students to enjoy their journey and reach at least some of their goals are great teachers imo, no matter how "badly" they students may do in a recital. Sometimes it can be a huge win to just get them to perform. I've also heard that some teachers don't allow everyone to perform so that they don't look bad.

I think it's fine to wean out all the unmusical, stupid, slow learners or whatever people label the poor students if the goal is to develope professional musicians. But it is rarely so in private teaching these days so I think we should evaluate how the teacher works, not how the students play. Some people seem to put all the responsibility on the (paying) student which I find odd. A very narrow way of teaching where the teacher's role is purely technical and no people skills or understanding of different needs of the students are required.


Students are like a stock portfolio, you keep the good ones and get rid the bad ones. I have never known teachers who are so eager to keep the bad ones.

Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: RmntcPianoLvr] #2899231 10/11/19 10:27 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 998
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 998
Judging students is a very strange way to classify teachers as good or not good. It is not difficult to be a good teacher to a motivated, open-minded, musical and diligent student. It is much harder to be a good teacher to someone without musicality, who is autistic, or has Down's syndrome, or ADHD, who needs to be motivated to practise, etc. Some teachers actually have a special place in their heart for challenging students and if they succeed in teaching those students to play the piano, that is a huge accomplishment. In my book, a good teacher can work with anybody, with the talented and with those much less talented.


Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
*
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: RonaldSteinway] #2899282 10/11/19 02:16 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,375
AZNpiano Online Happy
8000 Post Club Member
Online Happy
8000 Post Club Member
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,375
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Students are like a stock portfolio, you keep the good ones and get rid the bad ones. I have never known teachers who are so eager to keep the bad ones.

These "teachers" are more interested in making themselves look good so they can demand a higher fee.

In my opinion, a great teacher can teach anybody.


Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: How To Find A Good Teacher [Re: AZNpiano] #2899377 10/11/19 07:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,485
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,485
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Students are like a stock portfolio, you keep the good ones and get rid the bad ones. I have never known teachers who are so eager to keep the bad ones.

T

In my opinion, a great teacher can teach anybody.



I agree, but would add an "almost" to the can teach anybody.



[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawaik500 price
by Morgrob - 02/21/20 10:30 PM
When to practice with pedal?
by baudelairepianist - 02/21/20 09:12 PM
Pure 12th aural tuning sequence
by TimM_980 - 02/21/20 08:41 PM
YUYS5 TA2 vs GC1 TA2
by SNkeys - 02/21/20 07:33 PM
Kawai piano 35 yo
by Love4Music - 02/21/20 06:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,111
Posts2,928,476
Members96,066
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3