Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
99 registered members (Aceituna, Animisha, AlphaBravoCharlie, AlastairR, Antihero, Alex Hutor, Beowulf, 23 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16
Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Gabriel Hikaru] #2897612
10/06/19 12:39 PM
10/06/19 12:39 PM
Canada
Tack Offline
Tack  Offline

Canada
I reported to Embertone a pedaling bug which for me is a showstopper. Unfortunately this bug also existed with the initial release last year and even with the attention to half pedaling in this release it persists. In short, if you strike a note in the middle of a repedal action (at a particular range where the pedal is on its way back up), even if you keep the note held after the pedal is fully down again, the note will decay abruptly (and incorrectly).

I'm just really confused that people aren't complaining more about this, especially here where continuous pedals are more common and folks are playing much more sophisticated and challenging pieces. With both 1.0 and 1.1 I encountered it within seconds and it's pretty jarring.

I'm not a classically trained pianist so it's quite possible I'm doing something unusual with how I'm pedaling. Yet when I look carefully at the pedal curve and its relation to how I'm striking the note, I don't really see that I'm doing anything wrong. Maybe someone can spot something weird in the video (1:30).

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Gabriel Hikaru] #2897635
10/06/19 01:29 PM
10/06/19 01:29 PM
G
Grazilerimba Offline
Grazilerimba  Offline
G

That was a great video Tack. You've got a great voice, should get into voice acting or podcasting!
I am not sure about the technical details of what you show - however in terms of how it sounds like and seems like to me, it's the same kind of effect when I try to repedal and it doesn't "catch" the note properly. I think Vintage D has a repedal check box, right? Try unchecking that and see how it sounds like, and if it still catches the note. Or was it perhaps unchecked to begin with? If you have other VSTs try those out too. It's been too long ever since I've tried out many different pianos but I remember how I would try to load up different ones and see if they would "catch" notes such as the one you're playing. Some could handle it nicely, others failed.
That doesn't mean however that there is no technical issue on Embertone's end. Perhaps this is something else. To me though, it seems like a repedaling issue.

Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Grazilerimba] #2897640
10/06/19 01:45 PM
10/06/19 01:45 PM
Canada
Tack Offline
Tack  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by Grazilerimba
That was a great video Tack. You've got a great voice, should get into voice acting or podcasting!
Hah, thanks. smile

I remember how I would try to load up different ones and see if they would "catch" notes such as the one you're playing. Some could handle it nicely, others failed.
That doesn't mean however that there is no technical issue on Embertone's end. Perhaps this is something else. To me though, it seems like a repedaling issue.

Catch pedaling is indeed a different issue (although that pedaling behavior is also really important for proper feel). With catch-pedaling you hit the sustain pedal after the note is released, to catch and sustain its decay at that point. The issue I pointed out in the videos was a little different: the sustain pedal is fully down before the note is released. In that scenario, the note should sound its natural sustained decay (at least until the next pedal action). That's really just fundamental pedaling logic, IMO. (And the Vintage D behaves properly in that specific case even with both half-pedaling and repedalling unchecked, because that logic isn't really related to either of those things.)

Last edited by Tack; 10/06/19 01:48 PM.
Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Gabriel Hikaru] #2899205
10/11/19 09:04 AM
10/11/19 09:04 AM
A
Andrew_G Offline
Andrew_G  Offline
A

Hello,

Hoping to support my good opinion of this plugin, I purchased the full version. However...

After playing about 20 min., the FREE Kontakt player v.6 (for Windows) prints "DEMO TIMEOUT" message and stops!

Am I missing something?

Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Gabriel Hikaru] #2899217
10/11/19 09:32 AM
10/11/19 09:32 AM
France
Frédéric L Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Frédéric L  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

France
Have you registered the virtual piano serial number in Kontakt (or Native Access) ?

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Gabriel Hikaru] #2899224
10/11/19 09:52 AM
10/11/19 09:52 AM
A
Andrew_G Offline
Andrew_G  Offline
A

Yes. I registered it.

Just now I received (from Embertone team) a recommendation to restart the computer. Will do this now and inform you about results...

Last edited by Andrew_G; 10/11/19 09:52 AM.
Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Gabriel Hikaru] #2899226
10/11/19 10:01 AM
10/11/19 10:01 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reboot ... the vaccine that cures all ills. smile

Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Gabriel Hikaru] #2899244
10/11/19 11:39 AM
10/11/19 11:39 AM
A
Andrew_G Offline
Andrew_G  Offline
A

Still no avail; I sent materials to Embertone for the analysis and hope to get some help.

BTW, the Main Mic samples sound very well; the playability is tolerable and almost without crackles in my Dell Vostro with 16 GB RAM and 500 GB SSD.

The main limitation, which I found so far, is impossibility to play very intensive passages with many many notes. For example, if I play and sustain a cluster of 15-20 notes and do some glissandi, which co-sound with the cluster, the crackles may damage everything. But maybe I want too much of a piano plugin. Anyway, Garritan CFX is better playable in such situations.

Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Gabriel Hikaru] #2899313
10/11/19 03:39 PM
10/11/19 03:39 PM
A
Andrew_G Offline
Andrew_G  Offline
A

The problem resolved --

by uninstalling and removing everything related to NA and Kontakt (including related registry data) and installing Kontakt 6 from scratch. (Well, Kontakt is not a green software!).

I like the sound. The playability is good when playing something relatively simple. Now the problem is to remove sound/keyboard crackling, with tolerable latency, when playing very fast passages with using the pedal(s).

Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Gabriel Hikaru] #2900333
10/15/19 07:30 AM
10/15/19 07:30 AM
A
Andrew_G Offline
Andrew_G  Offline
A

Now, with my Kawai VPC1 + Intel i5 (16 GB RAM, SSD), I succeed to get much better playability. I set Voices Max = 1000 and Preload Buffer Size = 6.00 KB (minimum possible), Velocities=36, ASIO buffer size = 128 (I use Focusrite Scarlett AI). Very fast and complex textures now sound well. Some rare glitches still occur when I do very fast re-pedaling and/or leave the sustain pedal depressed too long. Re-pedaling and catch pedaling generally work, although the catching time (between hitting the note and pressing the pedal) could be slightly longer or (still better) controllable in the plugin setup time.

@sorrownightingale, @puremusic, I had the same pops and clicks, which you mentioned, before finding the above settings. Sound depth and loudness are easily controllable by Master Vol (Kontakt button) and by COLOR (Walker tab). The sound is rich and beautiful. Samples of Close mic remind me the sound of Fazioli grand by their mild and peculiar percussive sound.

Some neighbor notes really have different volume for some mics (e.g., SOL and LA of 2nd octave), but this difference is comparable to the natural difference, which occurs in human (not mechanical) performance.

For me this instrument is usable, and I plan to apply it for recording. Apart for the mentioned rare glitches, I would say, it is one of the best plugins in the market today.

Last edited by Andrew_G; 10/15/19 07:32 AM.
Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Andrew_G] #2900348
10/15/19 08:11 AM
10/15/19 08:11 AM
S
slobajudge Offline
500 Post Club Member
slobajudge  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Originally Posted by Andrew_G
Now, with my Kawai VPC1 + Intel i5 (16 GB RAM, SSD), I succeed to get much better playability. I set Voices Max = 1000 and Preload Buffer Size = 6.00 KB (minimum possible), Velocities=36, ASIO buffer size = 128 (I use Focusrite Scarlett AI). Very fast and complex textures now sound well. Some rare glitches still occur when I do very fast re-pedaling and/or leave the sustain pedal depressed too long. Re-pedaling and catch pedaling generally work, although the catching time (between hitting the note and pressing the pedal) could be slightly longer or (still better) controllable in the plugin setup time.

@sorrownightingale, @puremusic, I had the same pops and clicks, which you mentioned, before finding the above settings. Sound depth and loudness are easily controllable by Master Vol (Kontakt button) and by COLOR (Walker tab). The sound is rich and beautiful. Samples of Close mic remind me the sound of Fazioli grand by their mild and peculiar percussive sound.

Some neighbor notes really have different volume for some mics (e.g., SOL and LA of 2nd octave), but this difference is comparable to the natural difference, which occurs in human (not mechanical) performance.

For me this instrument is usable, and I plan to apply it for recording. Apart for the mentioned rare glitches, I would say, it is one of the best plugins in the market today.

I use the same controller and the same setup, and no problems, I agree, there are some rare glitches but the sound is so good and realistic that I really don`t care about some small problems. At least this will force me to use the pedal economically, but really not big deal. For recordings and pure lyrical pleasure this sample piano has no competition. I use binaural with headphones and multi main plus close mics for vintage enjoyment.

Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Gabriel Hikaru] #2901607
10/18/19 11:19 AM
10/18/19 11:19 AM
A
Andrew_G Offline
Andrew_G  Offline
A

Unfortunately, after being optimistic at the start, I tend to give up playing with this plugin. The set of samples is good and rich, but the programming is really bad and not tested enough for a product that is worth to work with. The glitches with pedal and non-responding notes show even with ASIO buffer size=256 and the velocity layers count=6 (minimum possible). With two simultaneous mics and velocity count=36 the plugin is almost unplayable when the sustain pedal is applied intensively.

In contrast:
Ravenscroft 275 has pedal limitations too, but, in case of resource limitations, simply "forgets" some earlier sustained notes rather than kills the in-time keyboard & pedal behavior. Garritan CFX has a comparable number of samples and velocity layers, but behaves almost ideally concerning the real-time keyboard/pedal playability.

I hope that comparison with Ravenscroft, concerning the computational resource limitations, is a constructive critics rather than merely a "this is bad" note.

It is strange for me that this thread, similarly to the analogous VI-control thread (which I found only recently), was mainly concentrated on non-implemented half-pedaling and less on the glitches, which are much more harmful for a piano. I guess that the developers were too much affected by this half-pedaling demand and ignored all other aspects of playability. Probably this product was not tested by serious concert pianists, who understand the importance of the =real-time= responsiveness of the keyboard and sustain pedal.

Well, this critics is personal, and probably is affected by subconscious comparison with Garritan CFX, to which I returned after painstaking attempts to tame this plugin.

Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Andrew_G] #2901647
10/18/19 12:13 PM
10/18/19 12:13 PM
Old Europe
C
Chordo24 Offline
Chordo24  Offline
C

Old Europe
Thanks. This saves me a little cash but a lot of time.

Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Gabriel Hikaru] #2901670
10/18/19 01:17 PM
10/18/19 01:17 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Yep, after reading all of this about the Embertone ... I think I'm out.
I'll take my GAS elsewhere. There are plenty of contenders.

Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Gabriel Hikaru] #2901739
10/18/19 03:15 PM
10/18/19 03:15 PM
G
Grazilerimba Offline
Grazilerimba  Offline
G

Oh yeah, the missing notes. Had them too when I played the library after its release. But since I haven't spent much time with it ever since, even after the patch, I didn't encounter that bug. I had always assumed that happened because of my weak CPU. This library requires a powerful CPU to run smoothly. What are the others' opinions on this disappearing note glitch?

I also wanted to ask something else. One of the things that I don't like about this library is the fact that it doesn't include the multiple mics in the same instrument with a mixer. Instead you have to load multiple instruments, one per mic. Setting these up is a hassle - if you want to change a setting across all mics, you have to go from window to window and change the setting one by one. It's super tedious. Is there a way to somehow link libraries so that one setting you do in one window is automatically applied to all others? I assume this is not possible, but I'd be curious to hear if anyone has found a way to do this.

Re: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D [Re: Grazilerimba] #2901750
10/18/19 03:47 PM
10/18/19 03:47 PM
Not Banned
N
newer player Offline
1000 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

Not Banned
I also wanted to ask something else. One of the things that I don't like about this library is the fact that it doesn't include the multiple mics in the same instrument with a mixer. Instead you have to load multiple instruments, one per mic. Setting these up is a hassle - if you want to change a setting across all mics, you have to go from window to window and change the setting one by one. It's super tedious. Is there a way to somehow link libraries so that one setting you do in one window is automatically applied to all others? I assume this is not possible, but I'd be curious to hear if anyone has found a way to do this.

I thought that was discussed this month at the vi-control forums. Can't remember the answers, unfortunately.

Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
For which composers are Bärenreiter Urtext editions, best?
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/14/19 07:33 AM
Beyerdynamic DT-1990 or Sennheiser HD 660?
by johanibraaten. 11/14/19 06:05 AM
Bluetooth speakers
by dtrvno. 11/14/19 02:19 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,081
Posts2,890,658
Members94,955
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission