Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
115 registered members (AWilley, AndrewJCW, AlphaBravoCharlie, Barly, 36251, AYS, 32 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
What is causing this noisy G-sharp (G#6)?! #2898069
10/07/19 10:29 PM
10/07/19 10:29 PM
USA
R
Rickmaninov Offline OP
Rickmaninov  Offline OP
R

USA
Hello Everybody,

My piano has had a strange noise in a high G-sharp key (G#6) and to a lesser extent A key (A6) above it for the entire year I've owned it. It's been a frustration for me, and I thought I'd reach out to Piano World for some advice. : )

I can both feel something unnatural when I depress the key and I also hear this strange noise that accompanies it.
It's hard to describe, but I would say it almost sounds like a ruffling, chopping, rattling noise. It's somewhat subtle, but it's definitely there and it drives me nuts! Haha

I've had two of among the most highly regarded piano technicians in my area look at it. I think one heard what I was hearing and tried some sort of glue/adhesive on some part of the action, but unfortunately this did not fix the problem. I'm having the other tech do a half-day tune up on my piano this weekend (tuning, light voicing, regulation work, small fixes...).

Below is a link to a small clip I recorded of the problem. Please let me know if the sound provides any clues!

https://clyp.it/r0nszwwq?token=07c8c6265b5a5e301dfaee7a52b5519e

I've mentioned to the tech coming this upcoming weekend that the issue with G#6 (and A6) is pretty much up at the top of my list for fixes... Is there anything I should specifically ask him to check or do? Tighten action screws? Assess bridle/backcheck wires? Assess for possible hammer/shank wobbling?

In case these details are pertinent, it's a mid-1980's Yamaha C-series piano, but with new Abel hammers and Wessell, Nickel & Gross shanks put in last year.

Thanks in advance!

Rick

(ad 800)
PTG Journals
PTG Journal
Re: What is causing this noisy G-sharp (G#6)?! [Re: Rickmaninov] #2898082
10/08/19 12:14 AM
10/08/19 12:14 AM
Washington State
AWilley Online content

AWilley  Online Content

Washington State
It sounds to me a lot like what a loose hammer sounds like, but it could be any number of things.

If I were examining the piano, I'd try doing various tests to try to narrow it down to various systems before going through each action part individually. For example: is it somewhere in the key (between your finger and the whippen), or is it between the whippen and the hammer, or is it in the damper system, or is it outside the action altogether?

Some tests you (or your tech) could try:
1. Hold the key 90% of the way down with one finger and then give it a forte blow with your other hand. Is the click still there? If it is this could help you to hear the quality of the click without the extra noise of the note.
2. You say you can feel something off in the key. Stick your fingers between the backs of the keys and the bottoms of the jacks/whippens and lift the whippens. With your other hand, raise the key (and alternately the key next to it for comparison) and give it forte blows. Is the click still there? If so, that rules out the action and narrows it down to the damper system, keys, and keybed.
3. Remove the cheek blocks and pull the entire action out of the piano by no more than 1/8 inch, and play the note. (may rule out weird clearance issues with backchecks against sostenuto)
4. Hold the damper up with your finger and play the note. Is the click gone? Or grab the damper from the top and very gently but sharply pull it up to its full height. Do you hear a click?
5. Play the note while holding down the keys on either side of the note. (could indicate if it's an action part clicking against a neighbor). Can you run a thin blade between the keys without it getting stuck?
6. Try it with and without pressing the various pedals. I once had a click that only showed up while the una corda was pressed. Sostenuto tabs could be suspect.

After that you can go through and very gently wiggle the action parts to test bushings and such, paying attention to how much play each part has compared to neighbors.

I don't remember if WN&G has felt bushings or if it's some sort of precisely fit plastic. I wonder if a poorly fit bushing could be giving the click itself.

Anyway the most imporant thing is that you're able to reproduce the sound in front of your tech. If they can't hear it they can't fix it.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
Re: What is causing this noisy G-sharp (G#6)?! [Re: Rickmaninov] #2898171
10/08/19 09:01 AM
10/08/19 09:01 AM
PA
J
jsilva Offline
jsilva  Offline
J

PA
I concur that it sounds a lot like a loose hammer (by ‘loose’ that would mean an extremely slight amount of play). It also sounds to me like Steinway’s teflon bushings, but that’s not a factor here.

WNG uses hard bushings. I haven’t had any issues with them in my limited experience but I agree it’s worth checking for play in the shank/flange.

Re: What is causing this noisy G-sharp (G#6)?! [Re: jsilva] #2898246
10/08/19 01:09 PM
10/08/19 01:09 PM
Rockville, MD
Seeker Offline
500 Post Club Member
Seeker  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rockville, MD
It DOES sound like a slightly loose hammer, in which case, the fix should be (hopefully) simple enough.

Perhaps relevant - my technician friend and I were discussing replacing hammers/shanks/flanges on my piano with WNG when we replace the hammers this time. He has a full set of them (& Abel hammers) on his own Mason & Hamlin BB. He reports some experience with "clicks" caused, in some way he said, by a loose drop screw.

This is second hand testimony, so I can't verify though I trust the source's expertise and integrity.

Wonder if anyone else has experience with such clicks with the WNG shanks and flanges.

Last edited by Seeker; 10/08/19 01:10 PM. Reason: clarified my final question

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Re: What is causing this noisy G-sharp (G#6)?! [Re: Rickmaninov] #2898343
10/08/19 06:23 PM
10/08/19 06:23 PM
New Hampshire
P
P W Grey Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P W Grey  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P

New Hampshire
I have had some experience with metal not remaining tight in the composite material.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Re: What is causing this noisy G-sharp (G#6)?! [Re: Rickmaninov] #2899133
10/11/19 12:19 AM
10/11/19 12:19 AM
USA
R
Rickmaninov Offline OP
Rickmaninov  Offline OP
R

USA
Thank you all for your time and thoughtful responses! Hopefully all goes well this weekend! : )

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Weaponizing" Off-Topic posts in large threads
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 12:30 PM
Impact Method....without Impact Hammer?
by Duaner. 10/17/19 12:04 PM
Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On Part Deux
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 11:55 AM
Philip Glass look out!!
by Peyton. 10/17/19 11:49 AM
Remove swirl marks, polish gloss ebony finish?
by TurboMatt. 10/17/19 10:48 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,575
Posts2,880,303
Members94,698
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission