Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
99 registered members (Aceituna, Animisha, AlphaBravoCharlie, AlastairR, Antihero, Alex Hutor, Beowulf, 23 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
sanding Ivory keys on the sides #2898633
10/09/19 12:40 PM
10/09/19 12:40 PM
Sweden
J
jinorden Offline OP
jinorden  Offline OP
J

Sweden
A job not sure I want to take. This is what the owner of this upright tells me: Ivory keys, slightly larger than the wood. Nothing you can detect visually but when playing there's a feeling of sometimes getting your fingers caught by the edges of the key. Not all keys, mostly in the middle.
I sanded ivories on the top surface but never trimmed sides or carved notches. The only keytop instalations I ever did was fallen off ones, so relatively easy.
My fear is that it's easy to ruin a key, especially if using any kind of sanding machine. By hand it's probably very tedious but likely the way to go.
I am affraid very few people do this type of work but I hope someone that has done this can advise.

(ad 800)
PTG Journals
PTG Journal
Re: sanding Ivory keys on the sides [Re: jinorden] #2898682
10/09/19 03:25 PM
10/09/19 03:25 PM
PA
J
jsilva Offline
jsilva  Offline
J

PA
I’ve had to resize some ivory keytops. I used very fine sandpaper (forget the grit) by hand. For me the main issue is getting the long edges straight and even, but most of the ivory tops I’ve seen aren’t perfect anyway. I spent a while trying to get it just right, but that was a bigger job than what it sounds like you’d need to do. If you can’t even really see it then I suspect it wouldn’t take much at all to smooth out.

Re: sanding Ivory keys on the sides [Re: jinorden] #2898691
10/09/19 03:52 PM
10/09/19 03:52 PM
Sweden
J
jinorden Offline OP
jinorden  Offline OP
J

Sweden
That sounds encouraging Jsilva! I think it would involve only the 4-5 cm at the front of the key, just so that fingers glide easily away from depressed keys. I looked today at some different pianos, never gave a closer look at this, but ivory ends quite straight while ivorine or something like that was rounded. Will have to see how it looks.

Re: sanding Ivory keys on the sides [Re: jinorden] #2898707
10/09/19 04:40 PM
10/09/19 04:40 PM
Tampa, FL
B
Bill McKaig,RPT Offline
Bill McKaig,RPT  Offline
B

Tampa, FL
If the ivories are original then the edges are overhanging because the sides of the keys have worn away. The proper repair would be to build the sides back up either with veneer or a wood filler. Sanding the ivory sides will ruin the appearance of the keys.

Professional Piano Technician serving the Tampa bay area. website: mckaigpianoservice.com
Re: sanding Ivory keys on the sides [Re: Bill McKaig,RPT] #2898720
10/09/19 05:09 PM
10/09/19 05:09 PM
Tennessee
E
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ed Foote  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Tennessee
Originally Posted by Bill McKaig,RPT
If the ivories are original then the edges are overhanging because the sides of the keys have worn away. The proper repair would be to build the sides back up either with veneer or a wood filler. Sanding the ivory sides will ruin the appearance of the keys.

truth. It is surprising how little deviation from square and even it takes to be noticed on a keyboard. Better to replace the missing material than to cut the key to fit. It takes two days time. I usually mix a West System resin mixture with a lot of the Microlite filler to fill in the sides of the key. It helps to clean the wood with acetone first, to insure full bonding. Tape off the ivory, if you like, but you need a very slightly higher surface. After a few hours, the other sides can be done, if needed. The filler can be added until the mix is more like putty, but I like to leave a slight bit of fluidity to. help level the surface. You don't want too much on there, because it is a chore to grind back even with the ivory.
Regards,

Re: sanding Ivory keys on the sides [Re: jinorden] #2898735
10/09/19 06:39 PM
10/09/19 06:39 PM
Sweden
J
jinorden Offline OP
jinorden  Offline OP
J

Sweden
I'll check what the state of the keys is. Have to drive 55 km to the piano's location. To tell you the truth, building up the key's sides with wood or paste is not something I'd feel confortable doing. I'd probably make a mess. Filing feels safer if it's just a tiny bit. Maybe with some 800 papper. I have a set of keys in the basement and can practice on a few. The piano is no more, a player, but I couldn't throw away the keys.

Re: sanding Ivory keys on the sides [Re: jinorden] #2898846
10/10/19 06:02 AM
10/10/19 06:02 AM
Melbourne, Australia
H
Hemloch Offline
Hemloch  Offline
H

Melbourne, Australia
Why do the sides of keys wear away? What would rub on the sides for the wood to wear away?

Re: sanding Ivory keys on the sides [Re: Hemloch] #2898854
10/10/19 06:27 AM
10/10/19 06:27 AM
Michigan
K
kpembrook Offline
Platinum Subscriber
kpembrook  Offline
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K

Michigan
Originally Posted by Hemloch
Why do the sides of keys wear away? What would rub on the sides for the wood to wear away?

Fingers. Fingernails.

Additionally, there can be shrinkage of the key from when it was originally cut.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
Re: sanding Ivory keys on the sides [Re: jinorden] #2899100
10/10/19 07:40 PM
10/10/19 07:40 PM
Rockville, MD
Seeker Offline
500 Post Club Member
Seeker  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rockville, MD
Originally Posted by jinorden
A job not sure I want to take. This is what the owner of this upright tells me: Ivory keys, slightly larger than the wood. Nothing you can detect visually but when playing there's a feeling of sometimes getting your fingers caught by the edges of the key. Not all keys, mostly in the middle. ============SNIP===========

WHICH Edge?
I have caught a finger from time to time, and even cut one open, on the FRONT Corner of a key.
Tech Friends will of course let me know I'm wrong, but this is my experience and observation. Ivory naturals were built with (usually) 3 pieces of ivory, a long thin piece that came up to where the sharps start, a wider piece for the front top surface of the key, and a 3rd piece for the front of the key. On some pianos, (and I hasten to add that I like playing those pianos better...), the corners of the front top piece have slightly rounded corners, and the front edge can be tapered off 90 degrees. That rounding and tapering can make a big difference in feel and playability to a pianist.

It would be interesting to note WHICH edge your client is feeling, under what circumstances.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Re: sanding Ivory keys on the sides [Re: jinorden] #2899101
10/10/19 07:47 PM
10/10/19 07:47 PM
Seattle, WA USA
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Ed McMorrow, RPT  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
E

Seattle, WA USA
I have had success using super glue to fill the side gouge. You do need to clean/degrease the sides like Ed Foote says. Lay keys on side while CA is curing overnight. Flip and do other side next day. Then sand to smooth and level. Since CA is clear, you can't really see it. Pianists do notice getting their fingers "stuck" in the neighboring key when there are gouges there. The sanded CA feels so smooth. I CA treat every key side even if it is not gouged to make all look even.

It does take over a days worth of time. Key-frame can be cleaned, key-pins polished/lubed. and any loose balance rail pin holes can be glue sized. I usually combining this work with prophylactic application of CA to the front edge of the ivory top and installing new key-bushings. Sometimes buffing ivory surface too.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: sanding Ivory keys on the sides [Re: jinorden] #2899127
10/10/19 10:18 PM
10/10/19 10:18 PM
Sweden
J
jinorden Offline OP
jinorden  Offline OP
J

Sweden
Ed, this sounds great, it's a way of following Ed Foote's advice without working with putty which I am not experienced enough to use. Though I suspect this has it's own pitfalls, like getting glue on the top surface. But getting paid fairly for such a job is the difficult part, and I have a very hard time when money are discussed.

Andrew, not the thin piece and not the front, but the wider one. And on the sides, not at the front edge.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
For which composers are Bärenreiter Urtext editions, best?
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/14/19 07:33 AM
Beyerdynamic DT-1990 or Sennheiser HD 660?
by johanibraaten. 11/14/19 06:05 AM
Bluetooth speakers
by dtrvno. 11/14/19 02:19 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,081
Posts2,890,658
Members94,955
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission