Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
78 registered members (Bill McKaig,RPT, Beowulf, AlphaBravoCharlie, Antihero, 36251, anotherscott, Animisha, barbaram, Anticlock, 18 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Book Rebinding - Clothbound #2898864
10/10/19 07:33 AM
10/10/19 07:33 AM
Texas
Dr. Rogers Offline OP
Dr. Rogers  Offline OP

Texas
Can anyone recommend a service that will rebind music books to clothbound, or "library binding"? I am aware that local "office" stores can rebind to comb or sprial binding, but I can do that myself at home. What I'm wanting is to rebind some books with so-called "perfect binding" (that name has to be a joke) to something more like Henle's high-end binding.

Somebody has to be doing this, as libraries seem to have it done pretty often. A few months ago I picked up a rebound volume of Chopin's Etudes, an old Schirmer edition that a library had rebound. It's absolutely wonderful! The binding is durable and it sits open on the music desk without recourse to clips or braces or the strong nuclear force. I'd love to get several other volumes rebound in that manner.

Thanks much!

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Book Rebinding - Clothbound [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2898887
10/10/19 08:57 AM
10/10/19 08:57 AM
New York City
L
LarryK Offline
1000 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
L

New York City
I’m thinking that that is not possible because once you cut off the perfect binding, you wind up with single sheets and not folded signatures. That’s why cheap spiral binding can be used after cutting off a perfect binding. You need the folded signatures to sew with a sewing machine in order to create a sewn book, as far as I know. I published a book of my black and white photographs in a class and went to the printing plant for a tour. They happened to pick my book as the demo. My book was three signatures of twenty pages each. Using an odd number of signatures makes the book fall open to the middle. I saw how they sewed and glued my book versus the edge gluing for perfect bound books.

Anyway, I could be wrong about all this, perhaps someone else knows better.

P.S. Perfect binding is the cheapest way to bind books. My books were a lot more expensive than the books made by people who chose perfect binding, so much more expensive per book that I have no hope of turning a profit on the sale of my books. A sewn book needs cover material over the boards and end papers, a perfect bound book does not have those things.

Last edited by LarryK; 10/10/19 09:02 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Book Rebinding - Clothbound [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2898888
10/10/19 08:58 AM
10/10/19 08:58 AM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
Qwerty53  Offline

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020

Salish Sea
“Perfect binding” usually means that each page is a single sheet, with page edges glued together at the spine of the book. The more flexible bindings you describe are generally sewn bindings, where each two-page spread is a double-width piece of paper, folded and sewn at the spine. Sewn bindings are more flexible and more durable, can be re-bound more easily, but are more expensive to begin with. Unfortunately, if your book is perfect-bound (glued single sheets), it is usually not possible to sew those pages together.

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Book Rebinding - Clothbound [Re: Qwerty53] #2898891
10/10/19 09:05 AM
10/10/19 09:05 AM
New York City
L
LarryK Offline
1000 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
L

New York City
Originally Posted by Qwerty53
“Perfect binding” usually means that each page is a single sheet, with page edges glued together at the spine of the book. The more flexible bindings you describe are generally sewn bindings, where each two-page spread is a double-width piece of paper, folded and sewn at the spine. Sewn bindings are more flexible and more durable, can be re-bound more easily, but are more expensive to begin with. Unfortunately, if your book is perfect-bound (glued single sheets), it is usually not possible to sew those pages together.

My recollection from touring the printing plant is that perfect bound books are also composed of glued signatures, groups of folded pages. Once glued, there is no way to get back to signatures you can sew, as far as I know. You cut off the perfect binding and wind up with single sheets.

Last edited by LarryK; 10/10/19 09:05 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Book Rebinding - Clothbound [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2898899
10/10/19 09:24 AM
10/10/19 09:24 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

If the spine and binding are in good condition, you can have the entire book bound. As a gift at the beginning of the summer, I had a bible I gave my sister as a child rebound in Italian calfskin for her when it turned out she was still actively using it 40 years later, every Sunday. It did cost so many times more than the original book I bought for her as a kid, but the situation here is different since one doesn't need Italian calfskin for book of sheet music smile

You should do a search for "book bindery" in Yelp and you will find places that should be able to quote you for the work.

As mentioned above, if the book is already just composed of loose sheets, then it might not be possible.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Book Rebinding - Clothbound [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2898918
10/10/19 10:21 AM
10/10/19 10:21 AM
New York City
L
LarryK Offline
1000 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
L

New York City
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
If the spine and binding are in good condition, you can have the entire book bound. As a gift at the beginning of the summer, I had a bible I gave my sister as a child rebound in Italian calfskin for her when it turned out she was still actively using it 40 years later, every Sunday. It did cost so many times more than the original book I bought for her as a kid, but the situation here is different since one doesn't need Italian calfskin for book of sheet music smile

You should do a search for "book bindery" in Yelp and you will find places that should be able to quote you for the work.

As mentioned above, if the book is already just composed of loose sheets, then it might not be possible.

Here is a link that says it cannot be done because they cut the spine before gluing, so, while the book is assembled as folded sheets, it winds up as single sheets. Now that I think about it, I remember them performing this operation with a huge shearing machine before gluing. See:

https://www.bibledesignblog.com/blog/2013/11/can-a-glued-binding-be-turned-into-a-sewn-binding.html

Last edited by LarryK; 10/10/19 10:23 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Book Rebinding - Clothbound [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2898935
10/10/19 11:11 AM
10/10/19 11:11 AM
Texas
Dr. Rogers Offline OP
Dr. Rogers  Offline OP

Texas
Well, that stinks. I wish music publishers had more extensive clothbound options. I hate "perfect" binding with a passion. I'm probably in a minority on this but they're certainly losing my business.

IMSLP + laser printer + comb binder gives me much more usable results than perfect binding.

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: Book Rebinding - Clothbound [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2898964
10/10/19 12:06 PM
10/10/19 12:06 PM
New York City
L
LarryK Offline
1000 Post Club Member
LarryK  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
L

New York City
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
Well, that stinks. I wish music publishers had more extensive clothbound options. I hate "perfect" binding with a passion. I'm probably in a minority on this but they're certainly losing my business.

IMSLP + laser printer + comb binder gives me much more usable results than perfect binding.

I'm afraid that it is not economically feasible for music publishers to produce clothbound editions because the print runs are too small, and their customers will not pay the prices required. It's hard to make money in book publishing. Raising the price of the printed book just makes it that much harder.

If you want to order good quality bookbinding supplies, you can order them from TALAS, https://www.talasonline.com , a bookbinding supply company in Brooklyn, NY. They're the best in the industry, I think. I bought a beautiful black bookcloth from them for my books. They have a dizzying selection of bookcloth. Even with bringing my own backcloth to the printer, it still cost me about $30/book to print and bind my little sixty page book of black and white photographs. It was so much fun, though, and they printed the photographs as true duotones, so there were no problems with color shifting because they did not print with color inks.

The little printing house in New Jersey that we used would also do a run of any size, I believe, so, you could conceivably send them an order to print say a dozen clothbound editions of a book of sheet music. You'd have to do the design work in InDesign, and send them the files, and work out a quote. Perhaps you could get some people on to commit to buying the books but it seems unlikely. I could dig up the name of the company if you're interested. Their big HP Indigo printer produces output that is far better than any desktop printer.

Last edited by LarryK; 10/10/19 12:16 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Book Rebinding - Clothbound [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2899011
10/10/19 01:34 PM
10/10/19 01:34 PM
Lacey WA
L
leel Offline
leel  Offline
L

Lacey WA
[quote=Dr. Rogers

. A few months ago I picked up a rebound volume of Chopin's Etudes, an old Schirmer edition that a library had rebound. It's absolutely wonderful!

I suggest you contact your local library and see who they use for binding. I had a wonderful bindery when I was in NJ, and they rebound all sorts of material.

Re: Book Rebinding - Clothbound [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2899024
10/10/19 02:16 PM
10/10/19 02:16 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
3000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

SE USA
Tuscaloosa Library Bindery

http://tuscaloosabindery.com/

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: Book Rebinding - Clothbound [Re: Dr. Rogers] #2899042
10/10/19 03:29 PM
10/10/19 03:29 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Oakland
Schirmers used to sell hardbound volumes about 40 years ago. The Kirkpatrick Scarlatti Sonatas were available in one volume.

Semipro Tech
Re: Book Rebinding - Clothbound [Re: BDB] #2899059
10/10/19 05:00 PM
10/10/19 05:00 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
3000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

SE USA
Originally Posted by BDB
Schirmers used to sell hardbound volumes about 40 years ago. The Kirkpatrick Scarlatti Sonatas were available in one volume.

I think Peters had some too, like the Beethoven Sonatas, Bach WTC, other "staples."

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key up velocity and key up position
by KevinM. 11/22/19 07:18 AM
Yamaha P-515 with subwoofer
by Boboulus. 11/22/19 02:55 AM
Cliburn 2020 Information and Alerts
by SiFi. 11/22/19 01:20 AM
Cliburn 2000 Alerts and Info
by SiFi. 11/22/19 12:54 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,251
Posts2,893,697
Members95,037
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission