2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
KamaL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hello everyone!
I'm a beginner piano learner, and already have an upright YAMAHA U2 piano which I really love. Unfortunately I can't play on it most of the time as we moved to another house, and my Yamaha will stay in my parents house.

I'm looking for a sub-1000$ digital piano I can practice with, especially at night with headphones.
The most important factors of course are key action and sound quality, especially through headphones. I really want it to have a wood stand and 3 pedals to give an experience similar to my upright piano. I know that no piano in this budget will come even close to my U2, but I still want to enjoy playing on it. I will be able to play on my Yamaha U2 during weekends of course smile

I tried the Roland FP-30, I really liked the key action, but sound on headphones wasn't the best, and it's a bit over my budget when bought with the stand and 3 pedals.

I found a good deal on a lightly-used KORG LP-380 with a good piano bench, It has a really small factor, which is great, and a stand and 3 pedals.
O'm looking for reviews and real-life experience with this model, especially comparing it with other pianos in this price range.

- Do you recommend it for a beginner?
- How is sound quality and key action compared to other digital pianos in this budget like the Roland FP-30, Yamaha P-125 and Kawai ES110?
- Is the sound quality good through headphones, which will be my main use?
- WIll it be easy to connect it through a midi adapter to my iPad or android tablet to use piano lesson apps for improving my skills? Will I really notice the lack of wireless BT onnectivity ?

Thanks in advance!!

K
KamaL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Any real-life impressions on this model?
Thanks !

K
K
From the lack of responses, I suspect there aren't many people here who own Korg DPs. While the same holds true for me, I do have some thoughts.

• The LP380 uses Korg's best action, the RH3. It is one of the better actions in the sub-$1,000 price range. However, most people would consider the PHA-4 action found in the Roland FP-30 to be the best of the lot.
  • The LP380 has real midi jacks. So you shouldn't have a problem connecting it to any computing device using an adapter.
  • While it comes with the stand and three-pedal unit and also supports half-pedaling, it is an older (2013) model. They launched the G1 Air in 2017-18 and that comes with bluetooth support. Obviously, the pricing will differ.

If you have a $1,000 budget, there aren't too many great choices once you have excluded the FP-30. I suggest that you try the ES110 and a couple of the newer Casios (the PX-S1000, for example) and compare them with the LP380. And, pick the one you like best.

K
KamaL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by kj85
From the lack of responses, I suspect there aren't many people here who own Korg DPs. While the same holds true for me, I do have some thoughts.

• The LP380 uses Korg's best action, the RH3. It is one of the better actions in the sub-$1,000 price range. However, most people would consider the PHA-4 action found in the Roland FP-30 to be the best of the lot.
  • The LP380 has real midi jacks. So you shouldn't have a problem connecting it to any computing device using an adapter.
  • While it comes with the stand and three-pedal unit and also supports half-pedaling, it is an older (2013) model. They launched the G1 Air in 2017-18 and that comes with bluetooth support. Obviously, the pricing will differ.

If you have a $1,000 budget, there aren't too many great choices once you have excluded the FP-30. I suggest that you try the ES110 and a couple of the newer Casios (the PX-S1000, for example) and compare them with the LP380. And, pick the one you like best.

Thank you for the reply.
There's are indeed not may reviews on this model, it seems to be much less popular than the other models mentioned above.
The other models' price becomes beyond my budget if I consider the stand and 3 pedals, but I'm interested to know if someone tried the Korg and can compare it with other models in the same category.
Although bluetooth is a nice addition, I don't think it's a must, and a midi to USB cable will do the job AFAIK.

R
R
Hello
I own the Korg G1 Air and while it is not the LP 380 it has the exact same RH3 action and I assume same sound
engine
I really love the RH3 action very much-- I previously owned the Kawai ES 110 and while that is very nice as well I prefer
the RH3 action on the Korg as it is firmer ( the Kawai was lighter action) and very responsive
Also the sound of the German Grand on the Korg is very nice and for that price exceptional
You will be happy with the LP380
Built in Japan so very well made and solid feeling

K
KamaL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by RobG
Hello
I own the Korg G1 Air and while it is not the LP 380 it has the exact same RH3 action and I assume same sound
engine
I really love the RH3 action very much-- I previously owned the Kawai ES 110 and while that is very nice as well I prefer
the RH3 action on the Korg as it is firmer ( the Kawai was lighter action) and very responsive
Also the sound of the German Grand on the Korg is very nice and for that price exceptional
You will be happy with the LP380
Built in Japan so very well made and solid feeling

Thanks! That's good to know.
Did you ever try the PHA-4 action found in the Roland pianos? How is ti compared to the Korg?

Thanks

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by KamaL
I found a good deal on a lightly-used KORG LP-380 with a good piano bench, It has a really small factor, which is great, and a stand and 3 pedals.
O'm looking for reviews and real-life experience with this model, especially comparing it with other pianos in this price range.

Hi there,

The Korg RH3 action is excellent and very solid. Much better quality and reliability compared to Fatar actions found on many DPs. I enjoy playing advanced classical piano repertoire on my Kronos several hours daily (when I can't use my acoustic grand piano). The action works as perfectly as in day one after three years. As a comparison, after only one year of similar practice, the Fatar action on an earlier DP was giving up with all kinds of noises and contact problems.

I'm sure the LP-380 offers similar piano experience as on my Korg. I also practice mostly in headphones with the digital instrument, so I recommend you invest in good quality headphones. I personally ended up choosing the Shure SRH840 for their excellent frequency range and slight natural bass boost which is perfect for the Korg sounds.

R
R
Yes I did try the Roland PHA-4 and it is very good but I prefer the Korg RH3 over it

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I like the RH3, I think it's generally an underrated mid-range action, very similar in feel to Yamaha GH in a lot of ways.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission