2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2897903 10/07/19 12:00 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Hi, another question... I came across 2007 Pramberger piano from the owner, asking 8k. its PS 185, 6'1 inches, Regal. Any input on this piano and its asking orice? What are some of the known issues with this piano? There is also a similar one sold, 2015, same price but its 5 foot. Any input?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Check the model name again - it doesn't match my recollection of the Young-Chang built Prambergers or the Samick-built ones.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
I
OP Offline
I
Pramberger PS185 Grand.
It's 6.1ft, made in 2007.

I
OP Offline
I
Or can you guys please tell me what you think of Pramberger grands in general? What are aome known issues with it, what to expect?

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

This is definitely a Samick built instrument (Signature series built in Indonesia). It bears the Pramberger name, but is not the same piano that Joe Pramberger designed for Young Chang prior to 2003.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/pramberger/

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/samick/

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/a-map-of-the-market-for-new-pianos-ratings/

The Indonesian built Pramberger Signature Series is listed in the Pianobuyer as a mid-range consumer grade piano.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you! But what will it mean in terma of holding the tune, sound, etc?

I
OP Offline
I
My budget will be around 10-12k, if very needed I can stretch it to 15k, but want to see what I can find about 10-12 k

Online Content

Originally Posted by inna_denver
Thank you! But what will it mean in terma of holding the tune, sound, etc?
Unfortunately, little info regarding these issues is available on the internet, and unless someone here has had personal experience with a Samick buit Pramberger, I doubt you're going to get much feedback on this forum.

You might try asking your question on the Piano tuner-Technician Forum.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/3/1/piano-Tuner-technicians-forum.html,

Also - it would be wise to have any piano you are seriously considering checked out by an independent technician who can red flag any potential issues.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
I
OP Offline
I
Great idea, thank you!!!

I've owned a Pramberger PS157 (Samick model) for the past 9 years. It was a year old when I bought it. I've been very happy with it since it was voice and acclimated to my home, which took almost two years. (I can't imagine the brand had anything to do with that). I like the action and the sound, and it's helped me become a better piano player.

I was initially very "stringy" and bright sounding, but having it voice a couple of times in the first few years have helped mellow it out a lot. Other musicians who have played it have been very complimentary, and I think it sound pretty good when I hear other people play it. I live in the northeast US, and my house has pretty significant humidity swings through the season. The piano has been very stable. I have it tuned twice each year, sometimes less depending on how it sounds.

My technician is a Steinway dealer and service center, and he is very positive on the piano. He likes the quality and stability. He has commented that the action sound is sometime noticeable (like you can quietly hear the hammers fall back in place after striking a key), but it was something I never noticed until he mentioned it. I had one problem with one of the pedals within a few months of getting it, but they were replaced under warranty. Have not had a problem since then.

It's pretty full sounding for a 5' instrument. Of course, the bass is not going to melt the paint off the walls, but it certainly sounds rich enough. The mid voice is melodic, and the upper end is rather singing, but has a nice percussive attack when you want it.

I bought it at a time when I knew less about pianos than I do now, so I'm not sure if I would make the same choice for the same amount of money (I paid just under $10K US, but it came with a 10-year dealer warranty). I'm not saying I don't like the piano, just that I would have a different eye/ear about the whole buying situation.

That said, however, I'm happy with the instrument and plan to keep it and play it for a very long time.

Pramberger PS-157, Roland RD800, Nord Stage 2EX 76HP
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you so much for this detailed reply, it helps me a lot! If today you had 10-12k budget, what would you buy?
The Pramberger one I wanted to look at does not have warranty.

Last edited by inna_denver; 10/09/19 05:20 PM.
I'm not really sure what I would pick, as I haven't looked at piano models at all recently. I have a preference for a particular sound profile and touch, but I would think that is rather individualistic. Regardless of brand, I'm pretty sure I would pick something in the 5'7"-6'0" range today, as it would fit comfortably in my house.

I can tell you it would be a more deliberate process than last time. I would check out used pianos that are already in homes, as well as piano dealers. There are a lot of great for-sale-by-owner deals, but also a lot of bad ones. Given that budget, I would certainly look for a high quality pre-owned piano and not a mid-grade new one.

If the "denver" in your name hints that you live in the Denver area, I believe there are several reputable piano dealers in your vicinity.

Good luck!

P.S. - I sincerely apologize for the bad grammar and spelling in my original response. I typed it on my iPad and the autocorrect left a terrible trail of destruction!

Pramberger PS-157, Roland RD800, Nord Stage 2EX 76HP
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you, understand. Yes, I will definitely consider all options out there, as I don't want to go through this piano hunting process again in 5 years:) kawai and yamaha grands rarely pop up on Craigslist and when they do - they are 30+ years. Dealers ask higher price, usually, but I will keep looking smile

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Inna
I can’t tell if you own an acoustic or not. If you do, let your tech know what you are interested in buying and he/she can keep an eye out for you. That’s how I bought mine that I love

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by inna_denver
Thank you, understand. Yes, I will definitely consider all options out there, as I don't want to go through this piano hunting process again in 5 years:) kawai and yamaha grands rarely pop up on Craigslist and when they do - they are 30+ years. Dealers ask higher price, usually, but I will keep looking smile

Yes indeed, dealers usually ask higher prices. What piano dealers do offer that private sales don’t is free delivery, one or more free tuning(s), and some even offer a limited warranty on used pianos purchased there. Private sales can definitely save you money, but it’s a lot more DIY getting the piano delivered and tuning scheduled.
Best of Luck whatever you decide.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
I
OP Offline
I
I own a digital yamaha clp 635 currently, and started hunting recently, but being a beginner player, it's hard to understand all options being there, so I am doing more research..

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission