2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
You know what always amazes me. I Love Lucy. At the same time that they set the format for the three camera sit-com they may have also invented the reality T.V. show since all them family members WERE actually the husband and children of Lucille Ball and the set-up was somewhat based on their real life. On You Tube you can probably find the special that PBS did on Lucille Ball. She was tremendous and an absolute pioneer.

Isn't "Frasier" a reasonably skilled pianist in real life? I know Hugh Laurie (House) is.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

On the Frasier show, Frasier's apartment always had a Steinway on prominent display. I was surprised just now to see a Yamaha in his apartment on an old Cheers rerun. wink

I don't watch it often, but another person in my household does. At one point, early on Frasier, I noticed it wasn't a S&S. Perhaps it was a Baldwin, I can't remember anymore. If memory serves, Hollywood Piano (Glenn Treibitz, a PW forum member) placed a piano on the set...if not, then they did many other sets of shows and movies.

Rich in Philly also has a good piano placement story that I believe has been mentioned in a prior PW thread. Since Philly is a rougher town, it was subjected to more violence...

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by KurtZ
You know what always amazes me. I Love Lucy. At the same time that they set the format for the three camera sit-com they may have also invented the reality T.V. show since all them family members WERE actually the husband and children of Lucille Ball and the set-up was somewhat based on their real life. On You Tube you can probably find the special that PBS did on Lucille Ball. She was tremendous and an absolute pioneer.

Isn't "Frasier" a reasonably skilled pianist in real life? I know Hugh Laurie (House) is.

No, Kelsey Grammer is a decent singer, but it was his TV brother Niles, played by David Hyde Pierce who is the classically trained pianist. He played all the piano scenes on Frasier. Grammer only did some basic noodling.

W
wpr Offline
W
This thread seems to have mixed Cheers with Frasier. My response to Rich was about the piano in the apartment on Cheers. In looking at it I couldn't make out a brand name. I've been watching Cheers Season 5 recently and had just seen the episode with the piano. I'm much more a Cheers fan than one of Frasier.

Yamaha G5

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

9000 Post Club Member
I mentioned both shows in the opening post, and the Frasier character exists in both, so some confusion is understandable. The 5/20 comment was ambiguous as to which series. After referencing an episode guide, it is definitiely 5/20 of Cheers that I had just watched. It would be quite a coincidence if 5/20 was also the episode in which the Steinway switch was made in Frasier! smile Both are good shows, of course, but I think I'd say I prefer Frasier to Cheers overall.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ando

Kelsey Grammer is a decent singer

"Oh Baby I hear the blues a-callin', tossed salad and scrambled eggs..."

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

9000 Post Club Member
One of my favorite Frasier episodes features Pierce on piano and Grammar singing. The premise is that they're helping their dad finish a song he's been struggling to write for Frank Sinatra.

Unfortunately, Frank rejects the song, but Frasier finds an unlikely venue in which to have it performed.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
I have a Yama-way piano. I took an old Yamaha C7 and put a Steinway style soundboard and Steinway hammers in it. Sounds jut as fabulous and avoids the high price tag.

I'd love to hear and play that piano. I bet it's quite unique. How does it compare to a Steinway Model C?

J
J
I just came back from listening to Olga Kern. That Steinway D sounded glorious. Her playing was out of this world which always helps. smile

[Linked Image]

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JJHLH
I just came back from listening to Olga Kern. That Steinway D sounded glorious. Her playing was out of this world which always helps. smile

A strange optical illusion. Unless I zoom in, it looks like she has her right foot crossed over the left one, and she's using it to press the shift pedal.

J
J
Originally Posted by johnstaf

A strange optical illusion. Unless I zoom in, it looks like she has her right foot crossed over the left one, and she's using it to press the shift pedal.

Yes. It’s definitely an optical illusion. She pedalled in the traditional fashion.

She recently became a US citizen and as a tribute she played some Gershwin, along with her favorite Rachmaninoff and Scriabin of course.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

9000 Post Club Member

♪ ♫ She's such a groovy lady ♫ ♪

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by mcontraveos
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
I have a Yama-way piano. I took an old Yamaha C7 and put a Steinway style soundboard and Steinway hammers in it. Sounds jut as fabulous and avoids the high price tag.

I'd be terribly interested in knowing more about your approach in this move: what your motivations were, what your expectations were, what "collateral" parts of the C7 you had to change, and if you had any taken measurements (quantitative or qualitative) of the sound along the way.
As another user asked, a recording of your new instrument would also be great to hear, should you happen to have one.

Dont' you understand ? it always was a Yamaha in a Steinways body ! (or the other what ? )

P
P
There was also a piano on Two and a Half Men that Charlie Sheen played on some episodes. Anyone know what brand??

Schimmel C169 Kawai NV5S
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
From occasionally watching that show in the early day’s, the Charlie Sheen character would have a Fazioli.
And if Frasier had a Steinway, Niles would have a Steingraeber at his first wife’s, Maris, insistence. Because of her overly sensitive ears.
I don’t remember which brand of piano was on the set of Two and a Half Men.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

This made me smile! Wonder what the outcome would be if also done in reverse! Something tells me there's more to creating a specific tone but the idea of creating a "hybrid" i.e something "new" appeals to me. We might be on to something great!
[P.S. how much could a new soundboard and set of hammers cost anyway?]

Norbert laugh

Last edited by Norbert; 10/12/19 12:52 AM.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Norbert

This made me smile! Wonder what the outcome would be if also done in reverse! Something tells me there's more to creating a specific tone but the idea of creating a "hybrid" i.e something "new" appeals to me. We might be on to something great!
[P.S. how much could a new soundboard and set of hammers cost anyway?]

Norbert laugh

That is an interesting idea Norbert. In collector cars they swap engines, trannies, shocks, and rear ends from other brands or vehicles to make a “resto-mod”. A ‘32 Ford coupe with a big Chevy engine and transmission. The one thing I remember is it’s a ton of manual labor to do and takes considerable time. When my hammers wear out or my soundboard’s crown is gone, it’s something I might consider. Although at my age, my fingers will go before the hammers and soundboard need replacing.😁

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Back to Frasier, nobody's identified the interesting-looking piano in Nile's house - anyone know what that was?

EP #2900504 10/15/19 04:00 PM

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

9000 Post Club Member
I don't think we see much of Nile's house, but, yea, I vaguely remember a piano in some sort of all-purpose anteroom (the one room they used for any scene in Nile's house).

EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I recall one scene where they had a sword fight on top of it. It was a big, brown vintage-era looking grand. I remember Niles played it in at least one episode.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission