Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
113 registered members (Antihero, AlphaBravoCharlie, aphexdisklavier, accordeur, anotherscott, Aceituna, Animisha, 27 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: What is the best sampled VST for classical piano? [Re: MacMacMac] #2896905
10/03/19 08:00 PM
10/03/19 08:00 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content OP
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content OP

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
In the meantime the choices don't matter much. Fingers on the keys ... that's what matters.

Yes, yes. I have an RCM level 4 exam coming up in December so I certainly have enough fingers on the keys.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: What is the best sampled VST for classical piano? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2898354
10/08/19 06:13 PM
10/08/19 06:13 PM

7000 Post Club Member

Those who have both VSL Synchron pianos and the Garritan CFX, can you tell me if the VSL pianos are different enough from the Garritan CFX that it might still be worth it for me to get the Garritan CFX if I already have all three of the VSL Synchron pianos? Does it sound different? Is it a worthwhile experience?

Also, anyone who has Yamahas own CFX sound (for example, on the Avantgrands) and also Garritan CFX, can you tell me if these are different enough to be worth the money having Garritan CFX also? (When I was planning on getting Garritan earlier, because it got some many votes from forum members, I hadn't realized I would end up with a DP with a built in CFX voice.)

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: What is the best sampled VST for classical piano? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2898376
10/08/19 07:59 PM
10/08/19 07:59 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan
Tyrone, I think it might be interesting to compare different recordings/mixing variations of the same piano.

However, are you really seeking justification from the PianoWorld community to spend more money?

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: What is the best sampled VST for classical piano? [Re: Kawai James] #2898377
10/08/19 08:07 PM
10/08/19 08:07 PM

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Tyrone, I think it might be interesting to compare different recordings/mixing variations of the same piano.

However, are you really seeking justification from the PianoWorld community to spend more money?

Actually, just the opposite. Garritan was the highest vote getter in my informal poll (above) - not just by a little, but by 14-3 as the next vote getter. However, I just acquired VSL so I'm thinking I've realism covered. So if I don't get Garritan, I'd just spend my money on something else instead. wink Might still be a VST, but maybe a totally different piano, like the Wavesfactory Mercury Fazioli, for example. Anyways, it's easy to buy Garritan since it got so many votes and supporters. It's much harder to decide what to get instead, because of the high probability of ending up with something cr@ppy.

Re: What is the best sampled VST for classical piano? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2898382
10/08/19 08:39 PM
10/08/19 08:39 PM
R
robinlb Online content
robinlb  Online Content
R

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Those who have both VSL Synchron pianos and the Garritan CFX, can you tell me if the VSL pianos are different enough from the Garritan CFX that it might still be worth it for me to get the Garritan CFX if I already have all three of the VSL Synchron pianos? Does it sound different? Is it a worthwhile experience?

Also, anyone who has Yamahas own CFX sound (for example, on the Avantgrands) and also Garritan CFX, can you tell me if these are different enough to be worth the money having Garritan CFX also? (When I was planning on getting Garritan earlier, because it got some many votes from forum members, I hadn't realized I would end up with a DP with a built in CFX voice.)

Tyrone, all other people's opinions, including experiences, are personal and subjective, and can never replace your own ideas. Now that you have a powerful music workstation, compare them by yourself and use it as a new benchmark for others in the future. May be the best way I think. laugh

CA98~~RME ADI2 DAC~~VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895
Re: What is the best sampled VST for classical piano? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2898383
10/08/19 08:40 PM
10/08/19 08:40 PM
G
Grazilerimba Offline
Grazilerimba  Offline
G

The Garritan CFX is unique to me because its room ambience is very natural and fitting. I personally don't like the Synchron Stage in the VSL pianos, it takes a lot of work to make it sound tolerable. The Abbey Road Studios though sound fabulous in the Garritan piano right out of the box. The two downsides, coming from the VSL pianos, are that the Garritan has a lower dynamic range which you might find distracting, and the room reverb is very prominent, borderline being too much. To me it is beautiful, but plenty of others here have said that it's too much for them. On the other hand, the Garritan CFX is the most evenly playable sampled piano out there. In the Classic mic configuration, there is no note sticking out, no out of tune notes. Everything is as it should be.

I would also advise against getting the Lite version - coming from the VSL pianos, it will most likely be a disappointment as it lacks the room mic and you won't get the full effect of the studio hall. Most people here advise getting the Lite version to upgrade to the Full version later. Coming from VSL, you will most likely not get that much out of the Lite version. But that's just my opinion.

Other than that, ask yourself what it is that you would most likely want to get more of, compared to the VSL. Is it "life" and "tone"? Then it's most likely gonna be the Embertone, but it has some pretty harsh flaws, especially when coming from the VSL offerings, and playability doesn't compare to them.

Is it playability? IMHO the American Concert D has a really great playability, and also the Bechstein Digital. Former seriously lacks in its sustain pedal sound but has half and repedaling, latter requires a beast PC to run properly, but has sustain samples and also has solid playability, but lacks half pedaling or repedaling as far as I'm aware.

OH and wait for a couple of weeks before purchasing anything else, Black Friday is coming!

Last edited by Grazilerimba; 10/08/19 08:42 PM.
Re: What is the best sampled VST for classical piano? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2898385
10/08/19 08:47 PM
10/08/19 08:47 PM
USA
J
JJHLH Offline
JJHLH  Offline
J

USA
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

To my ear I prefer Garritan CFX over the native CFX of the N1X by a fairly wide margin. It sounds absolutely glorious on my near field monitors. If I close my eyes I can actually imagine I am playing a CFX at Abbey Road Studios. The atmosphere is superb. I’m so impressed with it I don’t plan to get any other VST.

The weak link is my playing skills. But the beautiful sound motivates me to practice more.

Yamaha N1X, P-515. Garritan CFX. Genelec 8331 monitors.
Re: What is the best sampled VST for classical piano? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2898444
10/09/19 02:14 AM
10/09/19 02:14 AM
Slovenia
5penguins Offline
5penguins  Offline

Slovenia
VST users, do you use internal piano speakers or external monitors/speakers?

Re: What is the best sampled VST for classical piano? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2898448
10/09/19 02:41 AM
10/09/19 02:41 AM
U
U3piano Offline
U3piano  Offline
U

As for sampled vst's my opinion has changed.

I now prefer acoustic samples Kawai ex pro over both garritan cfx and ravenscroft.

Somehow i can't get garritan cfx to sound good over my speakers, (jbl lsr305's) and i'm done spending time trying. Strangely it sounds fine over my headphones. So at first i blamed the speakers, but everything else sounds better using them.

Pianoteq sounds good over my speakers while i don't really enjoy the sound with my headphones.

Now Acoustic samples Kawai ex-pro, this one sounds just great over my speakers as well as my headphones. And it's just very realistic, evenly sampled and playable. I think the recording technique/microphones/environment they used is just the best. It's my go to (sampled) piano now. A real joy to play, and that bass end is just amazing. Im wondering about their C7 now, anyone got experience with that?

Also in both garritan cfx and ravenscroft i find some notes stand out/sound a little different than others which can be annoying. None of this in kawai ex pro.

Re: What is the best sampled VST for classical piano? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2898466
10/09/19 04:11 AM
10/09/19 04:11 AM
Tenerife-Canary Island-Spain
S
sorrownightingale Offline
sorrownightingale  Offline
S

Tenerife-Canary Island-Spain
Tyrone Slothrop since I have VSL Synchron Pianos I don't use Garritan CFX or any other

Re: What is the best sampled VST for classical piano? [Re: U3piano] #2898471
10/09/19 05:01 AM
10/09/19 05:01 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
I, too, have fallen away from the Garritan.
Originally Posted by U3piano
I now prefer acoustic samples Kawai ex pro over both garritan cfx and ravenscroft.
Somehow i can't get garritan cfx to sound good over my speakers, (jbl lsr305's) and i'm done spending time trying.
Maybe it's just that I don't like the Yamaha sound?

Regardless, I like the EX Pro better than the Garritan ... and I like the Steinways (Vintage D and Grandeur) much better. Despite their flaws the sound is much more to my liking.

Re: What is the best sampled VST for classical piano? [Re: U3piano] #2898473
10/09/19 05:05 AM
10/09/19 05:05 AM
C
Craig Richards Offline
Craig Richards  Offline
C

Originally Posted by U3piano
As for sampled vst's my opinion has changed.

Somehow i can't get garritan cfx to sound good over my speakers, (jbl lsr305's) and i'm done spending time trying. Strangely it sounds fine over my headphones. So at first i blamed the speakers, but everything else sounds better using them.

Pianoteq sounds good over my speakers while i don't really enjoy the sound with my headphones.

Now Acoustic samples Kawai ex-pro, this one sounds just great over my speakers as well as my headphones. And it's just very realistic, evenly sampled and playable. I think the recording technique/microphones/environment they used is just the best. It's my go to (sampled) piano now. A real joy to play, and that bass end is just amazing. Im wondering about their C7 now, anyone got experience with that?

Also in both garritan cfx and ravenscroft i find some notes stand out/sound a little different than others which can be annoying. None of this in kawai ex pro.

Yes, the Acoustic Samples Kawai EX Pro really flys under the radar in the sampled piano world. It was produced by Lance Herring, who went on to release the VI Labs True Keys collection (Steinway D, Fazioli 308 & C.Bechstein) & the Ravenscroft 275 grand. He really know his stuff.

Despite the Acoustic Samples Kawai EX Pro being quite old and basic by today's piano sampling standards, it just has a body and presence which is really appealing to me also, and benefits from multiple release samples based on velocity & duration which really helps with the realism. I've used it live and to record with, and it just works. I also have the Acoustic Samples C7 which is very solid & playable, but I play the Kawai EX Pro more often - it just has that something extra smile

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yours truly at the Royal Albert Hall
by Dr Bekken. 11/14/19 08:47 AM
For which composers are Bärenreiter Urtext editions, best?
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/14/19 07:33 AM
Beyerdynamic DT-1990 or Sennheiser HD 660?
by johanibraaten. 11/14/19 06:05 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,083
Posts2,890,669
Members94,955
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission