2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
90 members (ambrozy, AndyOnThePiano, Beemer, Beowulf, AndrewJCW, aphexdisklavier, 23 invisible), 990 guests, and 524 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I guess the USTR likes Japanese acoustic pianos!
#2898334 10/08/19 04:48 PM
I
iLaw Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Those who have been around awhile know that when I'm not playing piano I'm an international trade lawyer. So my contribution to the forum is to share with you the acoustic piano provisions in the ink-still-wet U.S.-Japan Trade Agreement. At this point nobody knows when the agreement will actually enter into force, but when it does the duty on Japanese acoustic pianos (upright and grand) will immediately drop for 4.7% to 1.7%, and then are scheduled to be phased out completely in Year 2.

Digitals? Not as good of a deal. Duties on digitals will drop from 5.4% to 2.7%, then stay there.

Larry.

Re: I guess the USTR likes Japanese acoustic pianos!
iLaw #2898350 10/08/19 05:54 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by iLaw
Those who have been around awhile know that when I'm not playing piano I'm an international trade lawyer. So my contribution to the forum is to share with you the acoustic piano provisions in the ink-still-wet U.S.-Japan Trade Agreement. At this point nobody knows when the agreement will actually enter into force, but when it does the duty on Japanese acoustic pianos (upright and grand) will immediately drop for 4.7% to 1.7%, and then are scheduled to be phased out completely in Year 2.

Digitals? Not as good of a deal. Duties on digitals will drop from 5.4% to 2.7%, then stay there.

Larry.

Thanks for the update!

[Linked Image]
iLaw #2898670 10/09/19 02:45 PM
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yay! That will be the reason for me to buy a better Yamaha. I would only get a 65% trade in at the Kawai dealer. I kinda think that’s too big a hit to justify switching Japanese piano companies. Besides I’m dying for an excuse to look at an S3x. I guess brand loyalty still pays off occasionally. And yes I admit fully I fell in to the lure of “lifetime full trade up ease and convenience. I am also fully aware that I can’t negotiate much lower than sale price.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
iLaw #2898834 10/10/19 04:31 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
US dealers will not have an incentive to lower prices. Presumeably they have set their selling prices so that their expected profits are at their maximum. If they were to lower their prices, they would expect to earn less than they could have done.

Government tariffs hit importers earnings but should leave selling prices unaltered, and conversely, lowering tariffs will benefit the importers, while still leave selling prices unaltered.

Of course, importers may try to con buyers into believing that higher tariffs must inevitably mean that buyers pay more, and some buyers may believe the story. Most, probably will not act on this, because their ability to pay may simply not allow them to pay more.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
QuasiUnaFantasia #2898838 10/10/19 05:28 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
US dealers will not have an incentive to lower prices. Presumeably they have set their selling prices so that their expected profits are at their maximum. If they were to lower their prices, they would expect to earn less than they could have done.

Government tariffs hit importers earnings but should leave selling prices unaltered, and conversely, lowering tariffs will benefit the importers, while still leave selling prices unaltered.

Of course, importers may try to con buyers into believing that higher tariffs must inevitably mean that buyers pay more, and some buyers may believe the story. Most, probably will not act on this, because their ability to pay may simply not allow them to pay more.

That is a very strange view of economics which I'm not sure I recognise as resembling the world we live in. Maybe it holds true for the poster's location. Possibly.

gwing #2898852 10/10/19 06:21 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gwing
That is a very strange view of economics which I'm not sure I recognise as resembling the world we live in. Maybe it holds true for the poster's location. Possibly.

If an importer could earn more by lowering their price, they would tend to do so (since they generally want to earn as much as possible). Therefore an importer would not wait until tariffs are lowered, indeed they would lower their prices even though tariffs remained the same.

Tariffs are a cost for importers, similar to costs for raw materials and wages. If this cost goes up high enough, the importer will be forced out of business. S/he may try to pass on the tariffs to the customers, but they will likely purchase less as a consequence, thereby lowering the importers earnings. At some price point there will be no profit at all for the importer, and business ceases.

If the tariffs go down, the process is reversed, and the importer may exhale a sigh of relief. But the prices asked of the customers should remain unaltered, unless the importer wants to earn less money than possible by keeping the prices steady. Lowering prices will lead to more sales, but less earnings per sale, and less overall profit.

This is in principle not subject to geographical area, nor to prevalent culture, since it is general economic law. It is subject to the market savviness of importers, however.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
QuasiUnaFantasia #2898853 10/10/19 06:23 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Originally Posted by gwing
If an importer could earn more by lowering their price, they would tend to do so (since they generally want to earn as much as possible). Therefore an importer would not wait until tariffs are lowered, indeed they would lower their prices even though tariffs remained the same.

Tariffs are a cost for importers, similar to costs for raw materials and wages. If this cost goes up high enough, the importer will be forced out of business. S/he may try to pass on the tariffs to the customers, but they will likely purchase less as a consequence, thereby lowering the importers earnings. At some price point there will be no profit at all for the importer, and business ceases.

If the tariffs go down, the process is reversed, and the importer may exhale a sigh of relief. But the prices asked of the customers should remain unaltered, unless the importer wants to earn less money than possible by keeping the prices steady. Lowering prices will lead to more sales, but less earnings per sale, and less overall profit.

The importer is usually not the only importer, therefore what they do will be affected by what their competitors do and vice versa. In fact, they may feel more pressure on price from competitors and customer demand (or its absence), then they do from the tariffs.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
iLaw #2898893 10/10/19 09:09 AM
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I’ve taken graduate Economics and Finance courses. Tariffs typically target exporter businesses. It’s a factor which can directly affect the price of the product in the country to which the products are exported. There is also the competition prices to consider. If the tariff rate drops, its generally good news for all exporting companies. Some large powerful companies can and do just absorb the tariffs as cost of doing business. Some smaller companies do pass along that cost to export consumers.
For buyers of Japanese goods, like cars, trucks, motorcycles, pianos, tractors and generators this should be a sprinkle of good news.
I guess we’ll see.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
iLaw #2898920 10/10/19 10:25 AM
A
A
Whether tariff reduction on imported products may affect final sale price depends on the nature of the business. If the business faces a lot of competition (such that the profit margin is very small), tariff reduction may lead to some sale price reduction when the competitive business pass-through the reduction to the consumers. How much is the pass-through depends on how severe is the competition. If the business acts more like a monopoly with very little competition and the demand for this imported product is fairly price insensitive, then most if not all of the tariff reduction will just benefit the business with very little being pass-through to the consumers. So, how will this trade deal affects the market prices for Yamaha and Kawai? If one of this company start to adjust their prices downward, the other will need to react and follow. The more interesting question is how will this trade deal affects the market prices for other brands, domestic or imported? It depends on how substitutable are these pianos in the eyes of the consumers. If these pianos are perceived as quite homogeneous and therefore very substitutable, then all pianos will face downward price pressure. But if these pianos are perceived as very different, then the tariff reduction of Japanese pianos may not affect prices of other pianos.

iLaw #2898931 10/10/19 10:51 AM
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
On Apoll0’s same discussion- what might affect a piano makers pricing even more is tariffs on Sitka spruce, wool felt, and iron. It’s something that the global economists studies on piano manufacturing. Even though pianos are large instrument, I would think a piano price is still mostly labor costs. Even manufactured pianos are a ton of human handiwork. Exchange rates, how the economy overall is doing in the piano country’s currency to dollars goes. If Japan’s economy is doing great, the price here goes up because the Japan’s labor market becomes tighter and they have to raise wages for skilled workers. With all the different factors in today’s global market, who can tell what would happen. I’m just a happy American whose delighted by the prospect that the price may come down a bit on an instrument that I love. Absolutely over the top capitalistic optimism.

Last edited by j&j; 10/10/19 10:53 AM.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
iLaw #2899002 10/10/19 01:15 PM
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Come to think of it, that’d be a great Masters thesis. What global factors affect the world-wide piano market. Of course that research has been done by every large piano makers marketing departments and can be found in stockholders reports. I try to read up on MI news.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Wilh. Steinberg grand piano
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 01/16/21 04:47 PM
Searching for my first piano
by AndresVel - 01/16/21 03:34 PM
Tuning pin video
by accordeur - 01/16/21 03:22 PM
Concert pianist opintions regarding DP actions
by Marc345 - 01/16/21 02:50 PM
Size, placement, brand
by Anjru - 01/16/21 02:31 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,299
Posts3,047,439
Members100,079
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission