2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
32 registered members (dng, AZNpiano, Harpuia, 3am_stargazing, grd-dan, Dieci990, AB99, 7 invisible), 385 guests, and 410 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' #2897387 10/05/19 06:33 PM
D
D.kainoa Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Dear PianoForum, let me start by saying 'thank you' to this community. You've been a educational and entertaining resource for me during my search for a piano! I've been saving up for about 5 years in order to replace my old Yamaha CP33 with an acoustic piano. In my budget, I've been auditioning verticals, mostly Yamaha and Kawai. I live in the Los Angeles area. Anyway, on this journey, I was introduced to a used 2010 Kawai RX2 BLAK. At first, it was a surprise, since I hadn't considered a 'good' grand piano would be within my grasp from a fiscal point of view. However, because it's used, the price is quite competitive in comparison with new uprights that I've also auditioned (Kawai K300, K400, K500, Yamaha B, Yamaha U1, Yamaha YUS3/5, and a Hupfeld 125 studio). Anyway, I really and quickly formed a special liking for the used Kawai RX2 - it needs a tuning and perhaps more, but I'm seriously considering making an offer and bringing her home!

I've never purchased a piano before and want to make sure that I'm doing my due diligence (especially considering it's a used instrument). I recently just composed a message to ask the tuners/technicians here (http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...a-technical-perspective.html#Post2897381)... and I had a couple of follow-up questions that I think might be more appropriately aimed at this audience.

The lovely salesperson that I've been seeing describes a post sale process whereby the piano will be tuned, cleaned, and prepared for delivery. However, ideally I'd like to find a local technician to inspect the piano in the shop to ascertain whether there may be any structural issues that I should be aware of before making the purchase. Is it considered unusual to pay a local technician to visit the shop in the very near future to carry out some inspection?

Secondly, as i mentioned above, I'm drawn to the voice of this piano - it has a nice mixture between the 'warm' sing-songy tone that I associate with my old piano and my old teacher's piano married to a kind of clarity that I associate with a Japanese piano. I also like the feel and weight of the action, and love the way the keys feel under my fingers, especially as they compare to the uprights. However, I can definitely imaging improving the sound of the piano over time with a technician. My question is how realistic is this? Can a technician do work to adjust the voice and feel to the piano to bring it from 95% to 99%? Is this a realistic expectation?

Lastly, I'm curious to hear about anyone's experience with these models, and whether this would be considered a good piano for the money. From my searches here, it looks like it was considered a good piano on Pianobuyer and by users of this site, but it's always a little difficult to tell since it's no longer being manufactured. One of the things that I love about this store is that there's a lifetime trade-up policy, so I don't have to feel that pressure of this being the 'forever' piano... which helps!

Thanks PianoWorld community! I look forward to reading your responses...

Last edited by D.kainoa; 10/05/19 06:33 PM.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2897393 10/05/19 07:04 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
No, it is not unusual to hire a private tech to inspect a pre-owned piano, but you need to let the salesman at the store know you are planning on doing that.

PTG. org has a search function where you csn search for an RPT by zip code.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2897395 10/05/19 07:14 PM
terminaldegree Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Agreed with dogperson.

Also, it's not too much to ask the store to have the piano tuned now, since then you'd know even more about the tone of the piano and its ability to hold a tuning. Finally, it's possible this piano is still covered by a little bit of its original factory warranty, as it's 10 years and transferable in the US.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2897399 10/05/19 07:19 PM
D
D.kainoa Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you for your replies, dogperson and terminaldegree! I just spoke with the sales rep and let them know that I would like to have an independent inspection. They were very supportive - I guess that's a good sign!

terminaldegree - that's good advice about the tuning. I will make an enquiry. Would I reach out to Kawai directly to enquire about the warranty or go through the dealer?

Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2897538 10/06/19 07:36 AM
M
mivaldes Offline
M
I own a 20 year old RX-5 and it is superb. The inspection is a good idea and I did one as well. These are pretty solid pianos and likely everything is fine.

Good luck!

Marcus Valdes
Fayetteville, GA
Kawai RX-5, Kawai MP11
Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2897551 10/06/19 08:41 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have a Yamaha piano, not Kawaii but a good piano tech should be able to tweak the tuning, voicing, and regulation to get the piano to your 99%. I enjoy and nearly celebrate when my piano tech comes twice a year. He keeps my piano at the 99%. The only way I could get 100%, is if my tech wheeled in a Bosendorfer .😆
Pardon my silliness. Best of Luck. Sounds like you’re on the right track.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2897565 10/06/19 10:15 AM
D
D.kainoa Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks J&J and Mivaldes for the useful input! I've scheduled the service visit for later this week... fingers crossed!

Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2897753 10/06/19 10:43 PM
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm glad your shop is being good about the inspection--- that is a good sign; the contrary would be a very bad sign. With a used piano of unknown provenance, you have every right to learn the plain facts of its present condition, and to get a ballpark estimate of what it could cost to get it in tip-top playing shape.

If a shop owner should have an objection to a particular tech coming in, see if another would be acceptable. If they can be flexible, so can you; problem goes pouf! where it belongs.

It is very desirable that the piano be tuned before the tech examines it.. For one thing, he or she can tell more about the voicing and regulation, and for another, they can see whether it can hold a tuning. I doubt that RX-2 would have a bad pinblock.

Usually, the shop you buy from would be your initial point of service (after your own tech) for possible warranty repairs. They would help you register with Kawai as the new owner http://www.kawaius.com/ ... but I think you can do this yourself. That, or your tech can help you.

I wanted a bigger piano (of course that has a downside: goodbye couch, goodbye home entertainment system), but as I visited my dealer's premises over the years, I started to really like what they had done with the RX-2. Every year there were incremental improvements. I think it was because it was their best seller, and they made more of them, and benefited from their experience (and feedback from customers).

Whatever the secret, it came up from being (in my very casual opinion) a very good smaller piano, to being an especially excellent one. Perfect? Hmmm... my dealer reminded me that nothing made by human hands is completely perfect. Admirable humility; thank you Diane! I think very often of what she said.

Nine or ten years out is a very good time to buy a used piano, if it hasn't been outrageously mistreated. We think of the rule of thumb [the merest guess, but possibly close] that a new piano of commercial grade might be expected to have about fifty years of musically useful life. We can also consider that they depreciate similarly as a new car would, but last a lot longer. So here you are, looking at forty years before you would expect any major and terrible expenses, at a price that makes it attractive to catch up with whatever maintenance it needs, so it can turn a bright face toward the future.

The very expensive pianos, once they get up in years, need very expensive work done on them to make them play like new, or better. They can command prices that can make this expensive work a justifiable cost. You can read the stories right here on this forum. With the world's RX-2s and RX-5s, rebuilding them for resale is not such a good bet financially, unless possibly for sentimental reasons or as a family heirloom. There is a market for them, though. By the time they get over 50 or 60, young pianists yearning for their first piano would absolutely love to take this one to their heart. I don't expect to live to see it, but I think pianos like these might go a very long way--- it might surprise all of us--- before they go to Piano Heaven.

BTW, you seemed to be a bit anxious about whether the RX-2 will still be there for you, considering the inspection and all. It is customary to place a modest, refundable deposit (make sure its terms are written down, including the model and serial number) to assure the seller of your good faith, and to hold the piano. It sounds like you're moving pretty fast, with no obstacles that I can see, blocking your path. Perhaps offering a deposit would be enough. Five hundred is enough, maybe even half that, and maybe nothing at all. "Oh, don't worry about it, dear; we'll be here for you tomorrow."

Best of luck! Let us hear all the details--- inquiring minds want to know.

Clef

Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2898071 10/07/19 09:40 PM
KawaiDon Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you can get the serial number of the piano, feel free to write to me at Kawai America and I will be glad to look it up and verify warranty status, etc.

dmannino@kawaius.com

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2898191 10/08/19 09:57 AM
I
inna_denver Offline
I
If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay gor 2010 rx2?

Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: inna_denver] #2898644 10/09/19 01:16 PM
D
D.kainoa Offline OP
OP Offline
D
@inna_denver... no sales price to report... i'm still awaiting the report from the technician visit!

Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2902561 10/20/19 11:32 PM
I
inna_denver Offline
I
Did you end up buying it?
At my local dealership there is RX2 for sale, currently, 2001, and it's priced as 18k. To me it seems like it's way overpriced.

Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2902699 10/21/19 09:32 AM
P
panche23 Offline
P
Inna_denver you are right, 18k for an RX nearly 20 years old is too much. It should be selling for about 12k. I seen one on Pianomart for about that price. You could get a new GX2 for something in the low 20's.s

C2XPEC
Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2902710 10/21/19 09:57 AM
I
inna_denver Offline
I
Very helpful, thank you!

Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: inna_denver] #2902768 10/21/19 12:13 PM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by inna_denver
Very helpful, thank you!

Yes mine 2007 was just sold on Pianomart for $12,500. 2005 or newer also have the Millenium 3 action.

Working on:

Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor BWV 1004
Chopin: G Minor Ballade
Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2902815 10/21/19 01:53 PM
I
inna_denver Offline
I
Is there a lot of difference performance-wise between Millennium 3 action and the prior action?

Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: inna_denver] #2902822 10/21/19 02:17 PM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by inna_denver
Is there a lot of difference performance-wise between Millennium 3 action and the prior action?

I'm not too familiar with the difference as both my grands have the Millenium 3 action. I can tell you from my own experience it is an outstanding action. Perhaps others who have tried both will be able to give you a better answer.

Working on:

Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor BWV 1004
Chopin: G Minor Ballade
Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2903965 10/24/19 08:57 AM
P
Pianist magazine Offline
P
Hey all. If any of you are interested in winning a Kawai piano, enter our Pianist Composing Competition for your chance to win smile More details can be found here -> https://www.pianistmagazine.com/competition-uploads/pianist-composing-competition-2020/

Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2917193 11/27/19 10:38 PM
D
D.kainoa Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you again for all of the sage and really useful advice. The input that I received here was really valuable during my shopping and purchasing experience! In addition to this, i also found the names of some great RPTs in my area! So i'd like to again extend my warm thanks to such a welcoming community...

In the end, I purchased the Kawai RX-2 that I was so taken by! I also found a great local RPT, who both inspected the piano at the shop and has now also come to my apartment for tuning and some minor adjustments. I don't have a ton of extra space so the piano is currently situated in a less-than-ideal geometry.. that is, 'pointed' into a corner of my room (can't seem to figure out how to embed a photo here...). I purchased a 40" shag carpet to sit underneath and have also now also installed some caster cups to protect the floor (and hopefully reduce noise for my downstairs neighbors). Nonetheless, compared to my old Yamaha stage piano, this piano definitely sounds loud to me (I'm wondering if the geometry might be making things worse?)!

Re: 2010 Kawai RX2 'BLAK' [Re: D.kainoa] #2917204 11/27/19 11:26 PM
G
GC13 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Congratulations! I know you are overjoyed with your RX2. They are lovely instruments. I know you’ll be able to get the piano positioned the way you want it. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawaik500 price
by Morgrob - 02/21/20 10:30 PM
When to practice with pedal?
by baudelairepianist - 02/21/20 09:12 PM
Pure 12th aural tuning sequence
by TimM_980 - 02/21/20 08:41 PM
YUYS5 TA2 vs GC1 TA2
by SNkeys - 02/21/20 07:33 PM
Kawai piano 35 yo
by Love4Music - 02/21/20 06:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,111
Posts2,928,476
Members96,066
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission