2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
solo8 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello everyone!
I am a retired engineer and a piano enthusiast with very little formal training. I just joined the forum for the first time although I have visited it a few times before.

I have my heart set on the Kawai GL10-ATX2 because it's a baby grand with silent feature and it's within my (stretched) budget. But as far as I know, it's currently only available in the Europe market. I live in the US (Texas) and here the closest model is the GL3-ATX2. Does anyone know if/when Kawai will market the GL10-ATX2 in the US?

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I can't tell you when it will be available in the US, but if you haven't already done this, I suggest trying both the silent and non-silent versions of the K series upright. It uses the same Millenium action as the grands. I tried them both when I bought mine and found the difference to be noticeable.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkL
I can't tell you when it will be available in the US, but if you haven't already done this, I suggest trying both the silent and non-silent versions of the K series upright. It uses the same Millenium action as the grands. I tried them both when I bought mine and found the difference to be noticeable.

The uprights don't use the same action as the grands.

S
solo8 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Update...
I am no longer looking to buy a GL10-ATX2. I have read other discussions of the pros and cons of the digital addition/modifications to an acoustic piano, and decided to buy a GL10 and a CA48 separately since I can manage to accommodate both.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by solo8
Update...
I am no longer looking to buy a GL10-ATX2. I have read other discussions of the pros and cons of the digital addition/modifications to an acoustic piano, and decided to buy a GL10 and a CA48 separately since I can manage to accommodate both.

Congratulations! May I ask how you reached a decision between GL10 (baby grand) or K500 (upright)?

S
solo8 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am upgrading from an older model Kawai upright (forgot the model but it's about 20 yrs old and in great shape). Never considered upgrading to another upright. I heard some tall uprights may have better sound than baby grands but I'm going for the action.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I have tried the GL 10 .What I remember is a mellow tone compaired to the 5ft 2 inch which was brighter.The Gl 5ft 11(?)was mellow like the GL10.A nice little grand with a smaller voice.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Awesome solo8. Please do review your GL10 here when you get it!

S
solo8 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
My GL10 is being scheduled for delivery. While in the Kawai showroom the other day, my (little trained) ears did notice the difference in the bass section when comparing the GL10, GL20 and GL30 side-by-side. The GL20's bass was only a little warmer and deeper than the GL10. If I ever want to upgrade, I will go straight to the GL30, which sounded rich and deep enough for me. I did play around a bit on some of the Blak series GX2, GX5 but did not let myself stray too far. Because when I went back to my GL10 after the tuner finished the pre-delivery tuning, reality did set in. The bass notes (~C2-F3...) sounded kind of twangy ! I stopped myself from thinking any further at that point. My consolation is that the Millenium III Action is the same through out and that's what I'm primarily looking for.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by solo8
My GL10 is being scheduled for delivery. While in the Kawai showroom the other day, my (little trained) ears did notice the difference in the bass section when comparing the GL10, GL20 and GL30 side-by-side. The GL20's bass was only a little warmer and deeper than the GL10. If I ever want to upgrade, I will go straight to the GL30, which sounded rich and deep enough for me. I did play around a bit on some of the Blak series GX2, GX5 but did not let myself stray too far. Because when I went back to my GL10 after the tuner finished the pre-delivery tuning, reality did set in. The bass notes (~C2-F3...) sounded kind of twangy ! I stopped myself from thinking any further at that point. My consolation is that the Millenium III Action is the same through out and that's what I'm primarily looking for.

I think you will love that small grand .Going from a bigger grand to the smaller one will of course
exaggerate the differences.You can change your mind to bigger ,before arrival or upgrade later as many do.Congratulations on your new piano.Enjoy!

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Welcome to the GL10 club.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Solo. Did the bass notes sound "twangy" when you repeatedly hit the same note? I notice that on my GL10. My tech said that happens with other pianos too, just a limitation of the bass register. Can't remember if the register you mention has two strings or one, but if two, the strings being slightly out of tune may cause that too. To my ear, the bass register on my GL10, though not real powerful, is mellow and nicely balanced with the piano. Power is there, however, if you hit it hard. I'd describe the bass sound almost as "fuzzy," which may be an odd description for a piano, but I think it matches the smooth sound of the rest of the piano quite well.

As with all of the lower end models, the GL10 will have had minimal prep at the factory and dealership. Get a tech to do a good regulation, and you should have a fine sounding and playing piano. The parts are of solid Kawai quality, so everything you need is there. All pianos go out of regulation eventually, so a relationship with a good tech will need to happen sooner or later with even the most expensive pianos.

Happy playing, and as Mark said, welcome to the GL10 club!

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
S
solo8 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you GL10'ners for the warm welcome! I was excited but so anxious (in the true sense) at the same time because this was for the most part uncharted territory to me.

Emery: I'm not sure what you mean by "repeatedly hit the same note"... the bass notes sound "twangy" pretty much in a uniform, consistent manner, alone or in rapid succession. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Just as you said, "a limitation of the bass register." Also, they sound the same whether they are single strings or double strings.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Solo. Hmm, I wouldn't describe my bass as twangy at all. Mellow is the word I'd use, and that's a long way from twangy. Is there something buzzing?

By repeatedly hitting the same note, I mean something like a left hand part with a repeating arpeggio, say EAE. What I find is that after a measure or two, the A will buzz or sound twangy sometimes, due to being struck 4 times per measure. This doesn't happen with all the bass notes, just a few. My tech says the repeated striking of a bass string can make it sound wonky sometimes, not sure why.

I'd be interested to hear your twangy bass if you can post a recording. Maybe a tech here can tell you what's going on.

S
solo8 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I see. Now I realize you are much deeper into it than I am. At the showroom, I had not spent much time on my GL10 to discover any problem or inner characteristics of the piano. I must have used the wrong word to describe its bass sounds. Maybe a better word is "colder" or "more metallic" or "hollower" ... compared to the warmth/richness/fullness of the higher models.

Now that I have the GL10 in my living room, I have found a couple of issues with it (a sluggish key, a couple of notes slightly out of tunes, etc...) which I kinda expect after delivery. I've been jotting them down and will bring them up when a tuner comes for a post-delivery tune up in 6 weeks.

By the way, I just tried hitting a bunch of low arpeggios and didn't hear any buzz or anything abnormal. Also, I've been practicing with the lid down and have the impression that the sounds are a bit warmer.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
With the sluggish keys, try lifting some of the keys up and see if they all fall back down quickly. Some may stay up or go down slowly. Mine had that problem, and I had the tech ease the front and rear rail bushings. I understand that they're often tight when new on Japanese pianos, and that will slow the action. Once properly regulated, the M3 action is smooth and fast.

Also, do you have carpet and upholstery in your piano room? Carpet, drapes, furniture and such really help the piano sound better in a house as the sound tends to bounce off the walls if not diffused by these things.

Last edited by Emery Wang; 10/08/19 01:20 AM.

S
solo8 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Emery Wang
With the sluggish keys, try lifting some of the keys up and see if they all fall back down quickly. ....

Actually my problem is in the opposite direction. The key (G4) was intermittently slow to fully return to its resting position (up). Most of the time it behaves normally. Every now and then, when it happened, it would come up slowly and rested at about 9/10 of the way. But this only happened several times the first day or two after the 'Baby" was delivered. She seems to have outgrown it now.

Originally Posted by Emery Wang

Also, do you have carpet and upholstery in your piano room? Carpet, drapes, furniture and such really help the piano sound better in a house as the sound tends to bounce off the walls if not diffused by these things.

I have a thick laminate covered concrete floor. I saw your setup on the other thread. Thanks for posting that picture. I will try to do the same. Where did you get that round rug? Does it come in different colors?

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission