2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
65 members (bwv872, 36251, Anglagard44, Beemer, beeboss, clothearednincompo, b4xter, 17 invisible), 515 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Making practice of piece more interesting
#2897973 10/07/19 03:34 PM
J
Juke Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Do you people have tricks how to make practicing boring piece more interesting? Or making practicing interesting piece even more interesting? Please give your insight so others could too learn to make their practice more pleasant and interesting.

While back I had a piece in training that was just boring for me. I struggled through it and learned it to decent level, but before I got it to good level, I had to toss it, because I couldn't find any interest to practice it anymore.

I now gave this another thought, and maybe I would been able to finish that piece if there were something to make it more interesting.

Some tricks that came to my mind that could be tried in this kind of situation:
* Messing up with dynamics: switching P with F and reverse. Or just playing with "random" dynamics
* Messing up with tempo: playing with half tempo or with double tempo, or changing tempo randomly
* Switching keys from major to minor or reverse (this might be too hard, at least for me, for more difficult pieces)

Music randomizer:
http://cmajor.fi
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Making practice of piece more interesting
Juke #2897990 10/07/19 04:19 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Choose pieces you really want to learn because of their great appeal and the problem is solved. If you have a teacher ask them for a different piece or a choice of pieces when they assign a new piece. Then listen to the piece on YouTube and decide.

I don't think your suggestions about changing things in the pieces are helpful or make sense.

Juke #2897997 10/07/19 04:53 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Plover u
Not every student has a choice of which pieces to learn. As a child-student, I never had a choice;; my teacher decided what I needed to learn and handed it to me. End of discussion . As an adult student, those still in method books may not have a choice, either. (Even those outside of method books may not)

I do not agree with doing things that will mean it will affect the original learning. Therefore, I would never change from major to minor. You want your fingers to learn where to go’ so don’t confuse the poor little guys.

I would experiment with the volume: try it at pp vs p. Change how you play the decrescendo. Can you voice the left hand a little softer or a little louder?

Have a section where you are not playing the notes evenly? Practice in dotted rhythms.
Left hand too loud? Practice by ghosting the notes.

Experiment with fingering and evaluate how it feels and sounds.

In ofher words, view pieces you don’t like as a school assignment: identify problems and use creative ways to work on the problem. FWIW

Last edited by dogperson; 10/07/19 04:54 PM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Juke #2898019 10/07/19 06:04 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
It is an interesting topic. You can change how you practice. It can make a hard part more interesting and more useful than just playing over and over. I often would often practice only parts of the piece. Practice slower. Practice faster. Sometimes practice in rhythms in a faster passage to get it secure and even. Practice hands separately but only more rarely now. I would not change the score like you describe. I do believe some advanced pianists can do the third option where they are able to transpose the music to different keys. I have absolutely no idea how they do this! That’s I think crazy hard to do, can you do that? I used to have a czery exercise book and it was so boring I used to play the exercise in different keys so it might be possible for very simple music.

Juke #2898021 10/07/19 06:09 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Ha, I found it. Nightmare. I could play the first and second exercise in the book one in different major keys. I think it’s a way of making it more interesting so maybe try ot with these see if it help you. I think with a piece it’ll be too hard to do.

https://youtu.be/E3lDcnlyhJo

Juke #2898025 10/07/19 06:17 PM
My teacher once suggested I take all the arpeggios in a piece and play them as chords and vice versa.

so, if there are 3 measures where the notes are C-E=G-C-E-G--Bb- C, take the first 3 notes of the phrase and place CEG as a chord., then EGC as a chord, and so forth (within the beat if possible). It works in some pieces where the notes in an arpeggio may seem completely random but when played as a chord, sounds much simpler.

Also, other things I have experimented with include playing legato v. staccato. Adding "jazzy" rhythms to certain phrases... playing notes in doubles and thirds...so if there is a section where the notes are "C-D-E-F-G--C-D-C-D", I take that passage and add a double note so its played "CC- DD- EE-GG-CC-DD-CC" and so forth..This makes my brain focus more on the notes..

Lots of different ways to mentally approach practicing a piece..

Last edited by AssociateX; 10/07/19 06:22 PM.

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Juke #2898030 10/07/19 06:25 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Yes I remember this. Scales and arpeggios it’s a great idea to mix it up. In the piano exam board I did I remember having to play scales with a different dynamics. loud or soft. staccato or legato. Crescendo or diminuendo. Rather than up and down there was some you start on one note and you go in opposite directions with the hands. I never practiced scales in rhythms but that’s a good idea also.

Juke #2898031 10/07/19 06:31 PM
U
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
U
I would say always practice multiple pieces at a time, so you won't get bored by just that one piece over and over.

Lately i'v been playing around with piano accompanied by strings (as in violin) when im on my digital, depending on the pieces played it can sound pretty nice and make for a pleasant practicing session.

Moo :) #2898041 10/07/19 07:37 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by Moo :)
I do believe some advanced pianists can do the third option where they are able to transpose the music to different keys. I have absolutely no idea how they do this!
I think it was Nadia Boulanger(?) who assigned her students a new Bach P&F for every lesson(at least weekly) and the student had to be able to play it in any key.

Juke #2898054 10/07/19 08:46 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Juke
Do you people have tricks how to make practicing boring piece more interesting? Or making practicing interesting piece even more interesting? Please give your insight so others could too learn to make their practice more pleasant and interesting.

While back I had a piece in training that was just boring for me. I struggled through it and learned it to decent level, but before I got it to good level, I had to toss it, because I couldn't find any interest to practice it anymore.

I now gave this another thought, and maybe I would been able to finish that piece if there were something to make it more interesting.

Some tricks that came to my mind that could be tried in this kind of situation:
* Messing up with dynamics: switching P with F and reverse. Or just playing with "random" dynamics
* Messing up with tempo: playing with half tempo or with double tempo, or changing tempo randomly
* Switching keys from major to minor or reverse (this might be too hard, at least for me, for more difficult pieces)

Honestly, I try to take a day off from each piece I work on every 4 days or so. That helps a ton.

Also, I work on detailed technical stuff most of the time, and every few days just play straight through. This helps too, because the tech work will get the piece to performance level with quickest, but the play throughs are satisfying.

I will do some of the things you mention (like do opposite dynamics or tempos), but only if I'm trying to address a specific problem like tension or coming up with different musical ideas.

Lastly, I will take long breaks off from a piece that I'm working on. I might be 4-6 weeks on for learning, then take 3-4 weeks off, then come back at it for another 3-4 weeks, then take another 2 weeks off, then revisit to polish. Each time I come back after a break, I do have to "relearn" it, but the time to do that is very short, and it keeps the music interesting.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Juke #2898085 10/08/19 01:23 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Juke
Do you people have tricks how to make practicing boring piece more interesting?

I don't know if this make practising more interesting, but more bearable: Divide the piece into short but overlapping sections. Practise them in random order, three minutes each, once or twice a day. Or, if it is hard for you to keep track of which sections you have practised, practise them from the bottom up.
This helps me to disconnect a bit from the feelings that the piece gives me, for instance, an ugly piece.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Juke #2898153 10/08/19 08:15 AM
Online Content
We don't know if the age of the OP or their level or which piece(s) they dislike. All that information would be useful.

I think all adults should have some say in the selection of their pieces. Even teenagers should have some say since the teacher/pupil relationship is different from what it was 20 or 50 years ago. If a beginner is using a method book, surely the teacher can find a different piece with the same pedagogical value to replace a piece a student dislikes so the student doesn't have to do the "next piece" all the time.

Learning piano should be enjoyable. I can't think of anything more motivating then the prospect of learning pieces one likes a lot.

Juke #2898168 10/08/19 08:55 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
From my learning years of piano, what made the pieces interesting for me was if the given piece contains elements that help me make progress, in my technique, interpretation or some other aspects. If I learned something, then it was enjoyable and fruitful, also including discovering new music, even if I did no liked it. Of course I have preferences, and it is always possible to make arrangements with the teacher to switch. For me a boring piece is one that does not teach me anything or not much.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Finger pedaling- Who uses this technique?
by Jethro - 08/03/20 01:48 PM
Need help with wiring digital piano
by makentoxpiano - 08/03/20 11:06 AM
Casio GP-500 vs Roland LX706?
by LFYM - 08/03/20 11:03 AM
CN29/39 price range and not made in china
by robbah99 - 08/03/20 10:47 AM
Wrist Pain with Finger Exercises?
by BingoDingo - 08/03/20 12:41 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,685
Posts2,987,883
Members98,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission