2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#2897336 10/05/19 03:47 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I had some errands to run today and they took me across town near to the local Kawai dealer.
When you're near a piano shop you must pay a visit.
I cannot remember whether that's a federal law or a state law. But I am loathe to disobey. smile

The pianos were all moved around compared to my last visit ... but they still had a Novus on the floor. I tried it and also the CS11. I didn't bother with anything else.

This time I remembered to bring my own phones because the store phones last time were junk. That made a big difference.

The action feel was superb, as before. I noticed that the key dip seemed shallow. It seemed strange before I turned on the sound. But once I started to play I didn't notice it.
I'm trying to remember whether my old Kawai upright has similarly shallow dip.
I know of some grands that do. But it's been so long ... and I can only say that the dip is a bit shallower than on the CS11 or on my old Clav.

I also noticed something akin to Yamaha's TRS. I don't think anything like that is present in the Novus.
I only bring it up because there's a tiny bit of vibrational feel in the keys that's absent from "regular" digitals.

The SK-EX seems to be the default voice. I wanted to try the others but I couldn't find them in the UI. No matter. This one sounded great.
This is the first ... the very first digital piano I've ever laid fingers on that satisfied me without tweaks. Without EQ. Without sugar and spice. It's just gooood.

The dynamic range is quite wide, yet it's easy to control. I presume that the default velocity setting is just right for me. (I was really expecting a need to change to hard. Nope.)

Yes, the damper pedal is quite stiff, as others have noted. I was wearing shoes so it wasn't a problem.
But after trying the CS11 and then returning to the Novus the pedal required some readjustment. Some of my legatos had became staccatos for all the pedal misses.
I seldom wear shoes when playing so this might require the Gombessa (?) spring mod. But even unmodified it's not a deal-breaker.

I moved to the CS11. What a let down. The keys felt like those on my aging Clav. Like plastic on sponge. Surprisingly the CA78 next to it felt better. Go figure.
The CS11 sound says "SK-EX" on the display just like the Novus. But the sound was nowhere close to that on the Novus. I don't know why.

Upon returning to the Novus I found that it would produce no sound. The on-screen controls seemed to work fine ... but I had 88 dead controls in front of me.
The shopkeeper came and did a hard-reset ... as in unplug and replug. I found it troublesome that a piano could "hang". My Clav has NEVER done so. (Is the Novus running Windows 95 inside?) smile

The piano then resumed normal operation and it seemed that the reset fixed the other problem ... I was previously unable to switch to the other piano voices. Now I could.
I dropped the SK-EX and tried the EX and one other. (There are a bunch.)
That was pointless. The SK-EX wins easily.

I forgot to try or ask about this "Pianist" mode vs. "Sound" mode. I've read about it here, but I paid little heed ... such things seem meaningless until you put fingers on keys, methinks?
But anyway ... what's up with "Sound" mode? What other mode could a piano have? Picture mode? Pie a la mode? It seems silly.

Perhaps silent mode? But that can't be it. Why would they make a point of that when every piano has a volume control that goes all the way down to "silent mode"?

And ... does this even apply to the Novus? Or is this a Yamaha thing? I can't remember. (My brain hurts. It'll have to come out.)

So went a pleasant time, almost an hour. There were some faults. But regardless, I'm really liking this piano.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Good read macmacmac.

I agree it's kind of silly to have a "sound mode" and a "pianist mode", but i guess that's Kawai's solution to having a newer and an older sound engine both in one instrument.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks for your perspective, Mac.
I wonder if the pedal is ‘stiff’ initially, but then loosens up with frequent use. Still, I don’t mind a heavy pedal, for this might deter me from depending too much on it and encourage more finger-pedaling.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Thanks for your perspective, Mac.
I wonder if the pedal is ‘stiff’ initially, but then loosens up with frequent use. Still, I don’t mind a heavy pedal, for this might deter me from depending too much on it and encourage more finger-pedaling.

I'm guessing that with a heavy pedal, it will be more difficult to consistently find the half-pedal window.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"Pianist mode" means the new SK-EX Rendering engine. "Sound mode" means the good old HI-XL engine. With Sound mode you can layer 2 sounds (for example, piano + strings). In Pianist mode you cannot do that. My guess is that with the new piano engine all the computational power is needed for the more sophisticated reverb effects, so you would not have a good polyphony if you could layer 2 sounds in Pianist mode.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks for posting your "second impressions" Mac.
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

The SK-EX seems to be the default voice. I wanted to try the others but I couldn't find them in the UI. No matter. This one sounded great.
This is the first ... the very first digital piano I've ever laid fingers on that satisfied me without tweaks. Without EQ. Without sugar and spice. It's just gooood.

That would be pianist mode. Good to hear you liked it better than the first time around! Especially as someone who has a huge VST library.

Yes, the damper pedal is quite stiff, as others have noted. I was wearing shoes so it wasn't a problem.
But after trying the CS11 and then returning to the Novus the pedal required some readjustment. Some of my legatos had became staccatos for all the pedal misses.
I seldom wear shoes when playing so this might require the Gombessa (?) spring mod. But even unmodified it's not a deal-breaker.

Just for the record, I think both Erard and JoBert found the spring solution and applied it before I did. But I happen to be a bit more active than both of them in this forum atm, so happy to help out if any nv-10 owners would like to try it.

The CS11 sound says "SK-EX" on the display just like the Novus. But the sound was nowhere close to that on the Novus. I don't know why.

The CS-11 only has "Sound Mode," the last generation sound engine. You probably have better ears than me if the difference was really that great, but the new SK-EX Rendering on the NV-10 has a ton more resonance, that could be what you're hearing. It's also got a very good speaker setup for a DP, IMO.

Upon returning to the Novus I found that it would produce no sound. The on-screen controls seemed to work fine ... but I had 88 dead controls in front of me. (Is the Novus running Windows 95 inside?) smile

Odd, I've never had that happen to me before! And it's not Windows, but the GUI is runs Android (not the core sound engine though).

It could have been on an older firmware? The last few have been quite solid.

I forgot to try or ask about this "Pianist" mode vs. "Sound" mode. I've read about it here, but I paid little heed ... such things seem meaningless until you put fingers on keys, methinks?

[/quote]

If you turned it on and started playing, it was pianist mode (the newest, best sound engine). When you switched to EX piano, that was sound mode. Sound mode works for people who find the pianist mode too resonant. For me, it's only useful if I want an upright sound or one of the several dozen other instruments like organ and celesta. Pianist mode is all you should really need if you want the best piano sound the NV-10 has to offer.

Sounds like you have a lot more to think about in the next year and few months wink

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Mac, if you think the pedal is too stiff, you can also contact Kawai service. They cut a coil off of the spring and reinstall it. The guy that helped me said that Kawai Japan has been made aware of this. So the new.one you get may be lighter.

Last edited by TomLC; 10/05/19 05:39 PM. Reason: Spellcheck.....

Kawai NV10
OP Offline
The half-pedal point was just a tiny smidge above the bottom. Not good.
But I'm not as fussy about half-pedaling as other are. I'm no virtuoso. A bit better than ham-fisted (or ham-footed) ... but not a fine artist.
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I'm guessing that with a heavy pedal, it will be more difficult to consistently find the half-pedal window.

This is interesting ...
Originally Posted by TomLC
If you think the pedal is too stiff, you can also contact Kawai service. They cut a coil off of the spring and reinstall it. The guy that helped me said that Kawai Japan has been made aware of this. So the new.one you get may be lighter.

Thanks for this explanation ...
Originally Posted by Gombessa
If you turned it on and started playing, it was pianist mode (the newest, best sound engine). When you switched to EX piano, that was sound mode. Sound mode works for people who find the pianist mode too resonant. For me, it's only useful if I want an upright sound or one of the several dozen other instruments like organ and celesta. Pianist mode is all you should really need if you want the best piano sound the NV-10 has to offer.
Now it makes sense that the Novus sounds better than the CS11.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

I also noticed something akin to Yamaha's TRS. I don't think anything like that is present in the Novus.
I only bring it up because there's a tiny bit of vibrational feel in the keys that's absent from "regular" digitals.

Yes, there is no TRS solenoid in the Novus. There is however a real damper mechanism so you'll feel the effect of your pedaling in the keys as you play (and vice versa). The speakers are also quite powerful so if playing through speakers you'll feel it in the keys as well.

The half-pedal point was just a tiny smidge above the bottom. Not good.
But I'm not as fussy about half-pedaling as other are. I'm no virtuoso. A bit better than ham-fisted (or ham-footed) ... but not a fine artist.

You can adjust the point of the half-pedal with the "half-pedal depth" setting. You can also mechanically regulate the pedal mechanism to change even further where it engages.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Y
Y
I moved to the CS11. What a let down. The keys felt like those on my aging Clav. Like plastic on sponge.

As I am no longer a "spring chicken" although do have plenty of experience with digital pianos:

Did have a similar experience when I had previously owned the Kawai CA-95 and not only was the key action rather soft (with the bottoming out) but the "EX" grand was pretty harsh and metallic sounding and could not completely remove that inherent harshness from the tone after fiddling around with the virtual technician settings so I moved on to the Clavinova CLP-480 and upgraded later to the CLP-585 which sounded much better.

Also, have previously owned the Casio AP-620, Physis Piano, Roland V-Piano -- and, my latest acquisition is now the Yamaha P-515 (as in my member name) along with the AvantGrand N2 and the older Clavinova CLP-990 (from 2001) which will remain as a forever kept piano that will never be traded in or sold due to its very realistic sound and great wooden key action.

You will find out that no given digital piano offers EVERYTHING in one package as this is not really possible since neither sampling or modeling has achieved anything like a real acoustic piano as of yet.

Would recommend only the AvantGrand N2 or perhaps the newer AvantGrand N1X -- i.e., if you like the speakers on the N1X since the N2 is considerably better, overall.

Just some food for thought!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
About that pedal stiffness (and yes, I too installed a softer spring and I love the result): I'm always surprised that I only read about that in relation to the NV10. Because in my experience, my CA97's pedal was just as stiff. So the 2+ years that I played my CA97, and then the first few months with the NV10 (until I changed the spring), I had a dedicated "piano slipper" near my piano (just one, for the right foot), because I didn't want to play with just a "socked" foot.
But I've never read here about the stiff pedal of the CA97 (or CA67, or the newer CA78/98 - but those of course may have different pedals). Strange. There seems to something in the overall experience when playing the NV10, that prompts people to comment on this issue. Is it the higher overall realism, that causes the pedal issue to stick out like a sore thumb (or rather foot)? Does the NV10 attract a higher percentage of experienced players (in terms of overall experience and/or in terms of experience with acoustic instruments), who would notice something like this? Or maybe it's just a coincidence?

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
OP Offline
I noticed it because the pedal on my Clav is not nearly so stiff. Nor was that of the CS11 at the shop.
Since I'm accustomed to a not-so-stiff pedal, the stiff pedal of the Novus stood out.

I'm told that you and others have modified the pedal spring to remedy this.
Have you posted detailed information on how to go about this operation?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
At the piano store, there was both the NV10 and a Kawai acoustical grand. I tried both. The pedal of the NV10 was definitely much stiffer than that of the acoustical grand. There was no question ab out that in my mind. I kept going back and forth. Only on the NV10 did I feel I needed to use both feet. This was not my imagination.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Y
Y
Since I'm accustomed to a not-so-stiff pedal, the stiff pedal of the Novus stood out.

You will not have this problem with the AvantGrand N1X, or, the AvantGrand N2.
(After buying the N2 have never looked back as this is the one to keep.)

It actually plays and sounds better than the Baldwin SF-10 that I sold.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by yammyp515
You will not have this problem with the AvantGrand N1X, or, the AvantGrand N2.
(After buying the N2 have never looked back as this is the one to keep.)

Yes, the N1X has a pedal that seem quite fine. It doesn't hurt my feet - whether, shoes, slippers, socks, or bare. Completely different than the unadjusted NV10. However, I consider that a very minor issue for the NV10 since the spring can be changed, aftermarket.

It actually plays and sounds better than the Baldwin SF-10 that I sold.

I completely get having a digital and an acoustical piano. But why do you have both an N2 and a P515 - two digitals?

[Linked Image]

Y
Y
I completely get having a digital and an acoustical piano. But why do you have both an N2 and a P515 - two digitals?

Did you miss reading my first original post -- a little bit further back in this thread?

As I now own several digital pianos and have collected and traded many different brands and models over the years and the reason for owning the P-515 is that it has the current "CFX" / "Bosendorfer" sounds whereas the N2 only has the "CFIIIS" concert grand sound.

Having variety when playing keeps things a little more interesting! grin

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Did you miss reading my first original post -- a little bit further back in this thread?

As I now own several digital pianos and have collected and traded many different brands and models over the years and the reason for owning the P-515 is that it has the current "CFX" / "Bosendorfer" sounds whereas the N2 only has the "CFIIIS" concert grand sound.

Having variety when playing keeps things a little more interesting! grin

Instead of collecting whole DPs, have you considered just collecting VSTs like the rest of us that have G.A.S.? laugh

[Linked Image]

Y
Y
Instead of collecting whole DPs, have you considered just collecting VSTs like the rest of us that have G.A.S.? laugh

Actually, no -- never -- as I did not want to mess around with the extra cables, buying all the software and a new computer with appropriate memory, latency issues, and so forth -- just prefer to turn the piano "ON" and play as the inherent sounds are good enough.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Actually, no -- never -- as I did not want to mess around with the extra cables, buying all the software and a new computer with appropriate memory, latency issues, and so forth -- just prefer to turn the piano "ON" and play as the inherent sounds are good enough.

So you'd rather trade off floor space for.... cables/software/computer? Because it's not cost - the cost of a 2nd DP is already a trade off for cost of cables/software/computer. By the 3rd DP, it will be purely a floor space vs convenience tradeoff.

BTW, I don't even turn on my DP. I just walk over and play. It's not running a VST at the moment since my last pianocomputer broke down, but before I got the N1X, I had an FP30 that drove Pianoteq and I would just walk over and play without switching anything on, at a cost of about $30/yr in electricity.

Don't take this as me trying to convince you of anything. I'm just amused. It reminds me of a anecdote/joke told to me when I first arrived in Moscow in 1997:
A man goes into a Mercedes dealership in Moscow to buy a car. He asks for the top of the line model. Salesman shows him the car. He hands over a briefcase of cash, gets in and drives away. A week later, same man goes into the dealership, asks for the same model car, salesman shows it to him. He hands over a briefcase of cash. Climbs in and drives away. Third week, the same thing. The salesman finally asks him, "Every week you are coming and buying the same car. Is something wrong?" Man answers, "the ashtray filled up."

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm told that you and others have modified the pedal spring to remedy this.
Have you posted detailed information on how to go about this operation?

Here's Erard's post where he answered my question on how to change the spring. A few posts later he posted a link to which spring he used (I ordered the same one):

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...wai-novus-nv10-hands-on.html#Post2765160

And here's my post I made after I switched the spring. With Gombessa posting about his a few posts later (he also posted a link to his spring and some pics of the compartment from the front):

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...wai-novus-nv10-hands-on.html#Post2766300

Here's an older post with pics from the backside (changing the spring from the back is easier):

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...wai-novus-nv10-hands-on.html#Post2715734

The spring in question is the one with the red felt strip in those pics.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission