2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (Burkhard, Animisha, artsky, David Boyce, Burkey, AndrewJCW, Adjev, Adypiano, 7 invisible), 859 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Fidel

She's young and she's a pro. On trills she has fast firing small finger muscles, that helps but not everybody does. People with slower small muscles will need to incorporate large muscle groups and larger rotations. And her wrist positions won't work for everyone. Be very careful when you watch stuff like this because unless you have her body type, she may end up hurting you.

I get what she's trying to convey but my body and my technique are different so I focus more on the what (trill all fingers, think in multiples of 3, black white, Mozart trills) than the how. There are many ways to play piano. Be extremely mindful (conscious) of the way your body works.

Barly, I see you found a good teacher. Trust their advice but verify. Make sure the tips actually work for your hands/arms.

She can also stretch to 11ths. This is all that works for her and some of her ideas such as relaxation, stretching are worth considering bearing in mind that most won't be able to do such fast trills and scales like her during the warmup. But scales and arpeggios yes - very much the basics needed for classical music.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
O
O
I appreciate the sentiment with regard to such an abstract quote as the Fleischer one, but just a suggestion to stay with it a bit longer.

When you say you can't play an even scale beacause the second finger is coming down to early, you are simply aiming to high.

Play it slower, play only two consecutive notes,slowly, stopping on the second finger, relaxed, with some sense of balance, awareness and so on. Listen to those two notes and adjust.

Not trying to be obnoxious, but one thing that made me improve was realizing the perfectionism it really takes to get beyond amateurish level. It is also rewarding in a different way when you start to be able to play at least very simple things Really Well - it gets kind of addictive and you want to break things down ever more and slow down. For me the hurdle was getting into that super basic attentive mind set in the first place

S
S
Originally Posted by op299
I appreciate the sentiment with regard to such an abstract quote as the Fleischer one, but just a suggestion to stay with it a bit longer.

When you say you can't play an even scale because the second finger is coming down too early, you are simply aiming to high.

Play it slower, play only two consecutive notes,slowly, stopping on the second finger, relaxed, with some sense of balance, awareness and so on. Listen to those two notes and adjust.

Not trying to be obnoxious, but one thing that made me improve was realizing the perfectionism it really takes to get beyond amateurish level. It is also rewarding in a different way when you start to be able to play at least very simple things Really Well - it gets kind of addictive and you want to break things down ever more and slow down. For me the hurdle was getting into that super basic attentive mind set in the first place

I couldn't agree more. Every word you've written here accords exactly with my own ongoing learning-experience over my 50 year-long, deepening-by-the-day love affair with the piano and addiction to discovering the infinite diversity of sounds that composers have conceived for it.

Listen to those two notes and adjust. - that is Fleisher's point in a nutshell, and the key to accessing the super-attentive mindset you're referring to. The mindset revolves around acquainting yourself with the distinctive acoustical quality and character of a sound you wish to experience, aiming when you make the action to exactly imitate and reproduce that experience, listening to the sound that results, and on each re-attempt allowing the qualities of your actions to be naturally guided entirely on the basis of how well the sound they produce matches the one you experienced on your previous attempt. It's all matter of letting your ear take control over your actions, instead of the opposite. That, after all, is the basic function of our senses and of conscious experiencing - to inform our actions and enable us to adjust them in accord with whatever it is we're experiencing.

Last edited by Scordatura; 10/02/19 06:38 PM.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

https://understanding-piano-technique.com/ocportal
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chords in scales, arpeggios and chords
by Animisha - 08/12/22 02:55 AM
Roland FP10, use audio interface or use Pianoteq
by artsky - 08/12/22 02:32 AM
Dvorak Dumky Trio
by NightShade - 08/12/22 01:54 AM
Grieg String Quartet Op. 27 arr. 2 hands
by Tony Lu - 08/12/22 12:36 AM
Two, Three and Four Hamburg Steinways in Concert
by Joseph Fleetwood - 08/11/22 10:32 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,356
Posts3,215,631
Members106,065
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission