2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
29 registered members (Colin Miles, Animisha, giu, Gene Nelson, AYS, CyberGene, CognitaP, earlofmar, 6 invisible), 271 guests, and 438 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Upright Piano Advice #2896326 10/02/19 03:00 AM
T
tudor33sud Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone,

I am considering an upright piano for my future home. I was thinking that I should fit a grand piano in there, but I'm now thinking that it would occupy too much space, and I don't have that much space in there. Considering these things, I managed to test last year a Yamaha U3 ( which wasn't to my liking, action seemed kinda heavy, and it was really hard for me to play piano on it).

Right now I discovered the new line of Kawai (especially K500/600) and I am considering to get to try one of those, currently I can only watch youtube videos of it because I cannot find any Kawai dealer where I live in Romania... However, I got to play a Bechstein A124 (I googled it and it seems to be a lower tier model than the usual C Bechstein ) and I remember how pleasant I found the sound and the overall playing of it. I was drawn back a little bit because of its higher price, but now I think it might worth waiting for some time and get the Bechstein.

Does anyone have some experience with Kawai and Bechsteins so that I could get some honest oppinions about them? Kawai are more convenient in terms of price, but I know that I am pretty picky about piano sound, so I would like to have a pleasant piano like sound. Do Bechsteins worth the extra penny? I can't seem to find detailed specs about their action as for the other competitors, or key length etc, but I assume those are premium like the price? I am also concerned if Bechsteins would hold tuning as well as Kawai / Yamaha.

PS: does anyone know if Bechstein has a practice pedal? I didn't find any information about it, and I would be pretty interested. I don't think I want to spend money on the silent system, and a practice pedal would work for me to keep it quietly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by tudor33sud; 10/02/19 03:04 AM.

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile
Criticism is welcomed since it helps improving and going forward!

Yamaha P-105 -> Roland HP-605 -> Roland LX708
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: tudor33sud] #2896361 10/02/19 07:33 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Good luck finding the right piano!

I wonder though how you came to this decision since you've only had your LX708 for 9 months. In fact, you had even commented how you thought you would keep it 10 years. Is the sound that bad for you?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: tudor33sud] #2896362 10/02/19 07:34 AM
U
U3piano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
U
You are really the only one to judge when it comes to sound.

Personally i don't really like the sound of Kawai uprights, but lots of people do.

What's your experience with acoustic piano's? I had none before my U3, and also thought the action was heavy and hard to control at first. Now i got used to it and think it's great.

Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: tudor33sud] #2896363 10/02/19 07:36 AM
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The Bechstein is a significantly superior piano when compared to the Kawai. Only you can answer the question of if it is worth the difference in price.

I believe the Bechstein has sostenuto. If so, it would not have a mute pedal, however your piano tuner can install a mute rail at 1/10th the price of a silent system.

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2896369 10/02/19 07:43 AM
T
tudor33sud Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Good luck finding the right piano!

I wonder though how you came to this decision since you've only had your LX708 for 9 months. In fact, you had even commented how you thought you would keep it 10 years. Is the sound that bad for you?

Thank you very much! Well there s a multitude of things. I had the chance to play on some acoustics, and I just like the feeling more, and the sound coming from the instrument it s much more pleasing to my ears. Usually in digitals I seem to find the sound muddier and the notes just do not blend as fine as on an acoustic. On top of that, I am fascinated of seeing hammers moving on uprights when you get the front down.

I notice that with digitals you are always looking for the next generation, always interested about latest features. However, if you have the real deal in your home, there s no point in looking more at the market and you get to just sing and be happy with your instrument. Of course, this comes with a cost, but if you find an instrument with the right sound for you, then it should be the end of the story. The only thing that i am concerned is to find an upright with the right balance of sound, and Bechstein sounded the most as a piano, so maybe it will do the trick.

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile

Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: tudor33sud] #2896383 10/02/19 08:04 AM
P
pathguy Offline
P
FWIW, I am very much enjoying my new-to-me Kawai K-50 (I believe a predecessor to the K300/500 series).

I recently went acoustic after having a Roland FP-30 and then a Yamaha NU1X for just the reasons you describe. I can tell you that I was a little reluctant to have an acoustic, but practicing early or late is not a problem with the practice pedal. I love the sense of control (or lack of it, in my case!) of dynamics, and it is just a pleasure to play. It sounds like it would sustain forever!

I think you'll enjoy whichever piano you choose.

Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: pathguy] #2896391 10/02/19 08:27 AM
T
tudor33sud Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by pathguy
FWIW, I am very much enjoying my new-to-me Kawai K-50 (I believe a predecessor to the K300/500 series).

I recently went acoustic after having a Roland FP-30 and then a Yamaha NU1X for just the reasons you describe. I can tell you that I was a little reluctant to have an acoustic, but practicing early or late is not a problem with the practice pedal. I love the sense of control (or lack of it, in my case!) of dynamics, and it is just a pleasure to play. It sounds like it would sustain forever!

I am really glad to find that from you! Only if I could test a Kawai in person, probably in some holiday in a big city. Unfortunately, I was surprised that I didn t like the Yamaha U3.. I don t know maybe I was just too nervous. In stores sometime you are just too excited and not able to think properly and be careful to all the details. I always feel stressed out that I shouldn t stay too long...

Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: tudor33sud] #2896416 10/02/19 09:47 AM
R
RayR3004 Offline
R
I love my K5, which was the prior model to the K500. The sound is crisp but not too bright or brittle and to me is warm and full without having a muffled type of sound. I also love the action. The Millennium III action enables wonderful dynamic control. It's very smooth. You owe it to yourself to go try it out.

Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: tudor33sud] #2896420 10/02/19 09:59 AM
P
pathguy Offline
P
Originally Posted by tudor33sud
Originally Posted by pathguy

I am really glad to find that from you! Only if I could test a Kawai in person, probably in some holiday in a big city. Unfortunately, I was surprised that I didn t like the Yamaha U3.. I don t know maybe I was just too nervous. In stores sometime you are just too excited and not able to think properly and be careful to all the details. I always feel stressed out that I shouldn t stay too long...

I think the more you test out pianos, the less self-conscious you become. I was very, very timid at first when trying out acoustics, but YOU are the one spending the money, so you must make the best decision for you.

I honestly didn't consider a Kawai acoustic (no one near me sells them), but this one came in from an elderly couple and was in awesome shape. I played it and...now it's in my home! You never know what you might find, so wait until you feel it's the right one.

Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: pathguy] #2896424 10/02/19 10:31 AM
R
RayR3004 Offline
R
So true pathguy. Originally I had my mind set on a U1. I knew it was such a popular model. When I went shopping, I found them to be too bright for my ears. I was searching for a used piano, which made it even worse since most people don't voice and regulate regularly, but even the new ones I came across weren't for me. I found my K5 mixed in with a bunch of U1's and U3's. I had never heard of the model but as soon as I played, it spoke to me. I loved the tone and feel. I enjoy playing and hearing it very much.

Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: RayR3004] #2896439 10/02/19 11:20 AM
P
pathguy Offline
P
Originally Posted by RayR3004
So true pathguy. Originally I had my mind set on a U1. I knew it was such a popular model. When I went shopping, I found them to be too bright for my ears. I was searching for a used piano, which made it even worse since most people don't voice and regulate regularly, but even the new ones I came across weren't for me. I found my K5 mixed in with a bunch of U1's and U3's. I had never heard of the model but as soon as I played, it spoke to me. I loved the tone and feel. I enjoy playing and hearing it very much.

There's something about a piano that speaks to you!

The K-5 looks lovely!

Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: tudor33sud] #2896498 10/02/19 02:32 PM
PhilipInChina Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The C Bechstein is arguanbly the best upright on the planet. Get one if you can, you will never regret it.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: PhilipInChina] #2896521 10/02/19 03:34 PM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
The C Bechstein is arguanbly the best upright on the planet. Get one if you can, you will never regret it.

I agree Bechstein pianos are excellent ! Nowdays all Bechstein uprights are labeled as C Bechstein.However just the very top series used to use the C.
The Bechstein A124 you are looking is equal to the C Bechstein A124.(newer pianos)
I agree the Academy is still a very high level instrument.
You can read all about Bechstein pianos and prices (US$)here-

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/bechstein-c/

Last edited by Lady Bird; 10/02/19 03:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: tudor33sud] #2896526 10/02/19 03:54 PM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
The K300 , K500 (Kawai )and the U1 and U3 pianos are
very good instruments ,pianos that last and have real
musical qualities ,but are not on the same level as a
Bechstein A124 .
However ,one chooses what one likes the best and what suits
ones budget.
I decided on a regular model Sauter 130 because I loved
the tone,resonance (of tone)and the action !
I could not have afforded a MC Sauter ,but at that price, I
just may have decided on the C Bechstein Concert 8 ?
Who knows ?
Later when I tried a Masterclass 130 in Europe, I in fact thought yes
excellent, but sorry I still prefer my piano? I did prefer the
C Bechstein Concert 8.But NO not at that price !

Last edited by Lady Bird; 10/02/19 04:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: tudor33sud] #2896592 10/03/19 01:01 AM
T
tudor33sud Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Well, I guess I ll need to setup some travel this year or next year so that I would be able to play these instruments. It s a shame I cannot do this here, but it is how it is.

May I ask you upright owners how often do you tune your piano? I am a casual player I don t play more than 1 hour a day, and I was wondering if 2 tunings per year will suffice. I never had am acoustic, so I don t know all the costs and maintainance operations.

Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: tudor33sud] #2896594 10/03/19 01:13 AM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
2 tunings a year are best recommended.If you.get the floor model in the dealer, it will already have had a few tunings and touch up regulations, so this is recommended.
A brand new piano from the warehouse will need about 3 a year.The strings need to stretch on
on such a piano so will need more work done on it until. It settles down.

Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: tudor33sud] #2896663 10/03/19 07:19 AM
Fluxo Offline
Many have said that the C. Bechstein Concert 8 is the best upright piano ever made. Of course I am biased if I agree, for I have one. Truth is, I bought it many months before I even read about it in the forums, and I did it based exclusively on my impressions of its tone and touch. I almost could not believe that such an old instrument could play that way. Now, three years later, I am more than convinced that his reputation is very well deserved.

I have had Steinway, Kawai, Halben and Essenfelder uprights. And in my process of buying, I tried at least two dozens of different uprights in various sizes, makes and ages. Nothing compares to it, not even close! Actually, because of its ageing and hard use, and because I love it so much, I am having it restored (5/6 months work ahead). As soon as it gets back home, I will post some pics of it.

Besides, as Mr. Cohen said, I quote: "your piano tuner can install a mute rail at 1/10th the price of a silent system". My tuner did this to my piano (which has only two pedals). And it works perfectly, when I need to play after 10 pm.

Anyway, whatever piano you choose, if you do it with your heart, it will come out fine. Good luck!

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: Fluxo] #2896667 10/03/19 07:40 AM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Flux

Besides, as Mr. Cohen said, I quote: "your piano tuner can install a mute rail at 1/10th the price of a silent system". My tuner did this to my piano (which has only two pedals). And it works perfectly, when I need to play after 10 pm.

Anyway, whatever piano you choose, if you do it with your heart, it will come out fine. Good luck!

Is the mute rail one with felt that drops between the hammers and strings?

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: tudor33sud] #2896674 10/03/19 08:04 AM
Fluxo Offline
In my case, yes. Wood support with a hanging felt.

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
Re: Upright Piano Advice [Re: Fluxo] #2896697 10/03/19 09:11 AM
T
tudor33sud Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Flux
Many have said that the C. Bechstein Concert 8 is the best upright piano ever made. Of course I am biased if I agree, for I have one. Truth is, I bought it many months before I even read about it in the forums, and I did it based exclusively on my impressions of its tone and touch. I almost could not believe that such an old instrument could play that way. Now, three years later, I am more than convinced that his reputation is very well deserved.

I have had Steinway, Kawai, Halben and Essenfelder uprights. And in my process of buying, I tried at least two dozens of different uprights in various sizes, makes and ages. Nothing compares to it, not even close! Actually, because of its ageing and hard use, and because I love it so much, I am having it restored (5/6 months work ahead). As soon as it gets back home, I will post some pics of it.

That must have costed a fortune! I only saw some videos of it, and it's amazing how if you close your eyes you kinda feel the sound of a grand... I don't know how they do it, even in the Academy bechstein that I played I liked the sound a lot. I remember when I was in Wien and I got to test a Bosendorfer upright as well ( after that I read that Bosendorfer also has one of the finest uprights in the world ) , but I kinda liked the Bechstein more smile
The truth is I can only afford something along the lines of 10 000 - 15 000 euros maximum, and I already know that this kind of money is insane for actually what my level of playing is. Anyway, we only have one life, and I always get tremendous satisfaction when I get to play a nice instrument, and the happiness that you would get, probably it's totally worth it ( more than a car or some other thing ).

I hope I will be able to find a Bechstein to play on it again in Romania, I've written to the two dealers from here, but I have to see if they have some place where you could test it. In romania you can buy whatever piano you like, but it seems like there's no way you will find one to try, which is a pity. How would I order an expensive instrument if I am only able to watch videos of it?...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Alicia Keys - Moonlight Sonata
by Pathetique1 - 02/25/20 03:09 AM
Int/Midi button on Kawai MP11
by giu - 02/25/20 02:56 AM
New bass strings sound hollow
by Emery Wang - 02/25/20 01:01 AM
About Yamaha cx
by Fer15 - 02/24/20 11:48 PM
grades of pieces
by Kaori Miyamoto - 02/24/20 05:40 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,176
Posts2,929,692
Members96,104
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission