2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
50 registered members (anotherscott, bobrunyan, Bruce In Philly, Animisha, AntonioCastas, David B, BvO007, albydooby, 9 invisible), 379 guests, and 286 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: Kawai James] #2896018 10/01/19 05:11 AM
P
Pianofortissimo Offline
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
May I ask if you're also considering Kawai? wink

Kind regards,
James
x

Unfortunately not. For various reasons probably I will purchase a new CVP piano, and Kawai does not sell such DPs other than CP1/CP2/CP3 sold only in the USA.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: CyberGene] #2896019 10/01/19 05:24 AM
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by CyberGene
My ES7 was very quiet after I bought it but after less than two years some keys got clanky.

I can say the same about my MP11.

| Taa atu uka taa aatk tuku taka tuku |
Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: CyberGene] #2896022 10/01/19 05:36 AM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My ES7 was very quiet after I bought it but after less than two years some keys got clanky.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "clanky"? It's something like a noise when you sit on an old spring bed frame?

[Linked Image]

Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: Syd B] #2896030 10/01/19 06:16 AM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Some lateral movement of the keys appeared and when pressing the keys diagonally (like when playing fast scales or stretching your pinky to reach a wide chord note) it would make a click. You can also do that by grabbing the front of the key and wobbling it left/right.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: Syd B] #2896034 10/01/19 06:29 AM
peterws Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Roland's PHA-4, found on the FP60, 30, 10 and others. It's their bottom tier action now, and is notably quieter than the PHA50 found on more expensive devices, which in itself, isn't bad. I have the earlier variation of this on my FP50 and it's remained quiet for 4 years now. The main difference between the FP50 and 60 actions seems to be a more pronounced notch feel for the let-off function which the 60 has. It may have triple sensor, too, I don't know.
My previous DGX was noisy after a fairly short time. The C.O. didn't like her tele time disturbed. . I can play at 3am (and do) if I want with impunity. I'd have got rid of the piano long ago if the action wasn't so decent.
Would maybe be a reasonable option, with a VST .. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: MacMacMac] #2896117 10/01/19 11:41 AM
S
Syd B Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
That's a paper "keyboard" ... meant for practice.
Originally Posted by Syd B
But where do you go to get that kind of service? DIY DP restoration is not an option for me.

[Linked Image]

That detail did not elude my attention! I was referring to the last quoted line of your post:

"You reduce the noise with appropriate maintenance repair."

Have you or anyone else had success finding a technician -- preferably locally and via house call for outsized boards -- who can do that kind of work on a DP that's gone noisy? A national Kawai dealer has assured me there's local support here in Winnipeg if anything ever goes wrong with their keyboards. Not sure if that's an option with a Casio. Perhaps I should look into it.

Casio Privia PX-850
Go-to piano VSTs: Garritan CFX, Pianoteq 6, VI Labs Ravenscroft

https://soundcloud.com/baumel
Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2896124 10/01/19 11:59 AM
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I know. I just am curious when people want what is not achievable on a real piano.

Well, we basically have to. Digitals usually aren't near as loud as acoustics.
The grand piano at my school is painfully loud when my teacher digs in. Wouldn't want sth like that in an apartment.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: Syd B] #2896157 10/01/19 01:15 PM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>STAYS quiet after years

Electronics generally is designed with a life span of 5 years. So you're probably expecting too much, depending on what you mean with "after years'.

https://www.cta.tech/News/Blog/Articles/2014/September/The-Life-Expectancy-of-Electronics.aspx

For comparison, acoustic pianos have life expectencies of many decades if cared for properly

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: wouter79] #2896169 10/01/19 01:54 PM
A
Abdol Offline
A
Originally Posted by wouter79
>STAYS quiet after years

Electronics generally is designed with a life span of 5 years. So you're probably expecting too much, depending on what you mean with "after years'.

https://www.cta.tech/News/Blog/Articles/2014/September/The-Life-Expectancy-of-Electronics.aspx

For comparison, acoustic pianos have life expectencies of many decades if cared for properly

I don't think your acoustic piano after 5 years sounds acceptable and needs more money spent to just get it to a point where you can tolerate its sound.
When you say "take care of", it will cost you money, sometimes a lot of money! If you spend that much money on your DP, it would also last you many years!!! Going out of tune, humidity, felts, and many more. They will cost you money! more than changing just a rubber strip or an adaptor of a DP.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: Syd B] #2896297 10/02/19 12:26 AM
R
RobG Offline
R
Korgs RH3 action is very quiet and very solidly built--still quiet after one year practicing 14 hours
per week-I have the Korg G1 Air

Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: Syd B] #2896343 10/02/19 06:34 AM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Some lateral movement of the keys appeared and when pressing the keys diagonally (like when playing fast scales or stretching your pinky to reach a wide chord note) it would make a click. You can also do that by grabbing the front of the key and wobbling it left/right.
That's not very good. I would expect that those keyboards lasted at least 5 years. But if it's normal that they could become like that after less than 2 years of regular use, then I would be very disappointed. The ES7 had the RHII action. I hope that the RHIII that my CN37 uses is a little more robust.

Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: Syd B] #2896346 10/02/19 06:52 AM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think in the RH3 description there was something about enforced structure or something. James can share more details from the kitchen. Maybe they fixed exactly that issue?

Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: Syd B] #2896348 10/02/19 07:19 AM
S
slobajudge Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
At the moment I don`t think it is possible that any DP has more quiet keys than VPC1. I have it for 5 years, and its still whispering in my ears.

Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: CyberGene] #2896406 10/02/19 10:24 AM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think in the RH3 description there was something about enforced structure or something. James can share more details from the kitchen. Maybe they fixed exactly that issue?
I hope so. Have you ever heard some slightly sticky noises when you released a full-depressed key on the ES7? For now, this is the only little issue I had on the RH-III action. I don't care too much being that I play mostly with headphones but I recognize that it could be a bit annoying for those who play at low volume with the DP internal speakers, being that for our ears high-frequency noises are much more annoying than low-frequency ones.

Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: slobajudge] #2896410 10/02/19 10:36 AM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by slobajudge
At the moment I don`t think it is possible that any DP has more quiet keys than VPC1. I have it for 5 years, and its still whispering in my ears.
That's good to know. The VPC1 is such a well-made product that they have not yet felt the need to improve it from many many years. Honestly I would fear to buy an hypothetical new VPC2 unit instead of the super-tested and acclaimed VPC1...

Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: magicpiano] #2896414 10/02/19 10:38 AM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by magicpiano
I hope so. Have you ever heard some slightly sticky noises when you released a full-depressed key on the ES7? For now, this is the only little issue I had on the RH-III action. I don't care too much being that I play mostly with headphones but I recognize that it could be a bit annoying for those who play at low volume with the DP internal speakers, being that for our ears high-frequency noises are much more annoying than low-frequency ones.

Yes, I think I've heard those "sticky" noises too. To be honest, I haven't been bothered by the clicking noises either because I couldn't hear them when playing with headphones and other than that the keyboard felt the same, it was very dynamic and the feel hasn't changed. And the N1X now is like a machine gun in comparison laugh But since the OP asked specifically about quiet keys, I thought I have to mention that.

Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: CyberGene] #2896425 10/02/19 11:32 AM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, I think I've heard those "sticky" noises too. To be honest, I haven't been bothered by the clicking noises either because I couldn't hear them when playing with headphones and other than that the keyboard felt the same, it was very dynamic and the feel hasn't changed.
That's good. At least this is a bit reassuring.
And the N1X now is like a machine gun in comparison[...]
But I guess they are more thump-like mechanical noises than high-frequency ones, right?

Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: Syd B] #2896428 10/02/19 11:45 AM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The N1X is exactly what you would expect: loud thumping which I'm absolutely positive is audible in the apartment below mine. It's such a luck that nobody lives there... I hear other people use some casters or whatever it's called they put under the legs to stop those vibrations to propagate to the floor.

Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: CyberGene] #2896429 10/02/19 11:51 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I hear other people use some casters or whatever it's called they put under the legs to stop those vibrations to propagate to the floor.

I just received my set of Eison Piano Castor Cups which Chrispy recommended for the N1X. When my piano is moved to its new location in my flat in a few weeks, these castor cups will be put to use. My downstairs neighbor will be shocked by the difference (especially as I play piano typically between 2am-4am).

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: WANTED: a DP with quiet action that STAYS quiet after years [Re: Syd B] #2896431 10/02/19 11:57 AM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Tyrone, thanks, I read about that although didn't delve into much detail because I think I won't need those for now. And I remember from somewhere (was it from Chrispy again?) that adding those castors (castErs?) raises the piano so that the screw of the sustain pedal block that needs to be touching the floor is "screwed" and won't be able to touch the floor even if unscrewed at its max position.

Last edited by CyberGene; 10/02/19 11:58 AM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What stage piano?
by FennerMachine - 04/04/20 07:44 AM
Counting triplets in cut time
by Tom97 - 04/04/20 06:20 AM
How did Chopin decide when to pedal?
by baudelairepianist - 04/04/20 03:09 AM
Dealers that carry Kawai & Yamaha digital lines
by Almaviva - 04/04/20 02:50 AM
Favourite Piano VI and Why
by newer player - 04/03/20 11:13 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,908
Posts2,941,919
Members96,478
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission