2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Syd B Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Or am I asking for the impossible, given the compression of felt and other mechanical limitations of piano keybeds?

Context: I’m in the process of replacing my Casio Privia PX-850 with a Casio PX-S3000. The key action of the 850, after 4 years of daily use, has become intolerably noisy. The S3000 was (and still is) awesomely quieter when I bought it over 2 weeks ago, but already it’s either getting noisier or I’m just getting sensitized to its minor (and acceptable) keybed noise. Either way, I’m now worried it may be destined to go the same thunky, clacky way of its predecessor within years, if not months. I can still return it within a week or so. But is there a better long-term option, or should I just settle?

I know the Kawai VPC1, which has long been on my want-to-buy list (but never played), is super quiet WHEN NEW. But does it stay quiet? Ditto for other high-end Kawais (or other brands) that may be quiet when new.

So (drumroll), my bottom-line questions:

If you own a relatively quiet keyboard that’s stayed quiet after many hundreds of hours of use, please speak up! Or if it hasn’t, please speak up, so I can be forewarned.

If you’ve been putting one of the new Casio PX S series boards through its paces for months, is the action still quite quiet or has it gotten much noisier?

All feedback much appreciated!

Kawai VPC1
Casio Privia PX-850
Go-to piano VSTs: Garritan CFX, Galaxy Steinway, Pianoteq 6, VI Labs Ravenscroft

https://soundcloud.com/baumel
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
How quiet is quiet? Are you looking for an action which is even more quiet than an actual acoustical piano action?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
My vote is for something with a Kawai Grand Feel or Grand Feel II action. By far the quietest I've ever played (and not just for the first few months).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I'm curious about this as well. My PX-830 was great to learn on, but over time, the keys got loose, and would make clicking and clacking noises as they moved side to side and smacked against each other. My PX-160 is great, but I've been practicing on it for 10-12 hours a week for the last year, and I think I'm starting to hear a tad of the click-clack again ...

My guess would be something with a much more heavy-duty action would stay quieter longer: the Kawai GFs, the part-wood actions of the Yamaha P515 or Roland FP-90 for example. Can any long-time owners of any of them testify?

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
S
Syd B Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
How quiet is quiet? Are you looking for an action which is even more quiet than an actual acoustical piano action?

I don't think so (speaking from minimal critical experience playing acoustic pianos). In this comparison of a Nord and a VPC1, for example, I think even the Nord would be tolerable -- if it didn't get much noisier with time:
The Nord sounds like it might not be significantly louder than the S3000.

Originally Posted by Gombessa
My vote is for something with a Kawai Grand Feel or Grand Feel II action. By far the quietest I've ever played (and not just for the first few months).

Could you elaborate on that? How many hours do you reckon you've logged on any of those?

Last edited by Syd B; 09/30/19 10:24 PM.

Kawai VPC1
Casio Privia PX-850
Go-to piano VSTs: Garritan CFX, Galaxy Steinway, Pianoteq 6, VI Labs Ravenscroft

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Syd B

If you’ve been putting one of the new Casio PX S series boards through its paces for months, is the action still quite quiet or has it gotten much noisier?

Most of the Casios share the same action (a variant of Scaled Hammer Action), and they're all notoriously known to get loose and clacky after a few months.

Acoustic/hybrid piano actions are actually quite loud. They're louder than any digital action out there, the volume from piano just hides it when you play smile

Could you elaborate on that? How many hours do you reckon you've logged on any of those?

Rough guess, maybe a few hundred hours over the course of a year and a half. I've also played on an older used MP11, and it was just as quiet. The GF action doesn't use multiple plastic-on-plastic joints, springs, or thin foam strips, so there's not much to become noisy over time. It's all felted bushings on wood against steel pins, metal capstans resting on foam pads, it's an elegantly simple pivot mechanism and it starts and stays very quiet.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Acoustic/hybrid piano actions are actually quite loud. They're louder than any digital action out there, the volume from piano just hides it when you play smile

I know. I just am curious when people want what is not achievable on a real piano.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I've had my VPC1 for ten months, and have played it about 2 hours per day over that time. I have not noticed any change in the action, sound or otherwise.

FWIW, I played my Privia PX-760 for 2 years and was not aware of any action deterioration during that spell.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C

I know. I just am curious when people want what is not achievable on a real piano.

A question to the OP:

. . . Is there some reason you _need_ a very quiet action?

And another:

. . . If an action is just barely audible, when you're playing "pp", is that quiet enough?

Thanks --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Let's not kid ourselves. This is the only silent piano ...
[Linked Image]

This is not a joke.
All others produce some level of noise and will become noisier over time.

They're all mechanical. Mechanical equipment makes noise.
Mechanical equipment wears with use and with time, and so makes more noise.
You reduce the noise with appropriate maintenance repair.

S
Syd B Offline OP
OP Offline
S

Most of the Casios share the same action (a variant of Scaled Hammer Action), and they're all notoriously known to get loose and clacky after a few months.

Rough guess, maybe a few hundred hours over the course of a year and a half. I've also played on an older used MP11, and it was just as quiet. The GF action doesn't use multiple plastic-on-plastic joints, springs, or thin foam strips, so there's not much to become noisy over time. It's all felted bushings on wood against steel pins, metal capstans resting on foam pads, it's an elegantly simple pivot mechanism and it starts and stays very quiet.

Thanks. That's very useful info.

Originally Posted by Ralphiano
I've had my VPC1 for ten months, and have played it about 2 hours per day over that time. I have not noticed any change in the action, sound or otherwise.

FWIW, I played my Privia PX-760 for 2 years and was not aware of any action deterioration during that spell.

Again, great to know. BTW, the key noise of my 850 may not have really started to bother me until I'd played it for two or more years.
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

A question to the OP:

. . . Is there some reason you _need_ a very quiet action?

And another:

. . . If an action is just barely audible, when you're playing "pp", is that quiet enough?

Thanks --

I'm not a perfection fetishist. All I want is an action that will allow me to play a full dynamic range in my home studio (moderately loud at ff-fff, not heavy-metal loud), typically through my monitors (I seldom feel like wearing cans), without being seriously distracted by key noises when playing softly, ppp-mp. I believe I had that comfort level for the first year or two with the 850. I have it so far with the PX-S3000, which brings me to the other thing I need: for that low/no distractability to be sustainable. I don't want to have to buy a new DP every few years, and I don't want to have to sell a used DP with action so noisy no one may want to buy it.

Kawai VPC1
Casio Privia PX-850

S
Syd B Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Let's not kid ourselves. This is the only silent piano ...
[Linked Image]

This is not a joke.
All others produce some level of noise and will become noisier over time.

They're all mechanical. Mechanical equipment makes noise.
Mechanical equipment wears with use and with time, and so makes more noise.
You reduce the noise with appropriate maintenance repair.

But where do you go to get that kind of service? DIY DP restoration is not an option for me.

Kawai VPC1
Casio Privia PX-850

P
P
What about actions in newer Yamaha pianos? I had a bad experience about 20 years ago with a Yamaha DP, but obviously it was a very old keyboard. The action became very very noisy and clicky. Now I'm using a 10 years old Kawai for some hours a day and it's OK after so much time. Now looking for newer Yamaha. Any experience after some month/year of usage with latest Yamaha DPs? Thanks.

That's a paper "keyboard" ... meant for practice.
But where do you go to get that kind of service? DIY DP restoration is not an option for me.

[Linked Image]

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I've had my VPC-1 for about three and a half years now. I play at least 10 hours a week, with a month or two off here and there. I haven't noticed that it is any louder than when I first got it. I had the Casio PX 150 before, and it got quite noisy after about a year and a half. I'm not a fan of the VPC-1 pedal though.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
From my own experience, new Casio actions are not the quietest but not intrusive, but they do quickly get noisy. The action on my AP-470 is far louder now than it was after 7 months of solid use and I guess it will continue to get louder with use. I can easily imagine the noise it makes will become intrusive with time. I don't think it is unreasonable to want an action to not get far louder than it was when the DP was purchased. I'm not saying somewhat louder with time.

I think this is a perfectly reasonable request for information about how much louder different DP actions get with use.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Pianofortissimo
Now I'm using a 10 years old Kawai for some hours a day and it's OK after so much time.

Good to hear!

Originally Posted by Pianofortissimo
Now looking for newer Yamaha.

May I ask if you're also considering Kawai? wink

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't think does exist a plastic keyboard action (with weighted hammers, let-off mechanism, counterweights) that will sound and behave exactly like the first day after some years of regular use... I'm wrong?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
My ES7 was very quiet after I bought it but after less than two years some keys got clanky.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Kawai's wooden actions, old or new.

Another very happy long term VPC1 user here. I should add that I also played a Yamaha GH action (in a P155) for many years that was absolutely fine in terms of noise, and very durable. Less sophisticated to play, though (two sensors as opposed to 3 in the VPC1).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission