2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
48 members (1957, Auraltuner, Beowulf, Burkey, Carey, Bett, anotherscott, BrokenSymmetry, 9 invisible), 408 guests, and 372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A day of reckoning and the calm after the storm.
#2895766 09/30/19 04:52 AM
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Communication is very important to me. It's paramount actually. Lack of good communication is the source of many problems, while good communication is what prevents them.

So I want to communicate to everyone in the group my thoughts regarding our new recital name change rather than send out private messages that only a few people will see.

Today, [for me anyway], is kind of like the calm after the storm. I woke up a little tense this morning...[okay that's a lie, I didn't sleep at all last night !], because I did not want to be the source of problems or controversy on this forum. Especially under the circumstances involved.

In my view, three things needed to be accomplished.

1.) Honor Monica's legacy in a way that SHE would have wanted.
2.) Protect and preserve the history of our online recitals
3.) Recognize and credit the original founding members efforts.

I must admit and give credit where credit is due to Sam for navigating through all the obstacles and parameters of making this tough decision and coming up with exactly the correct wording and layout which ultimately satisfies everyone.

This is not an easy thing to do, especially under the circumstances when there are people on both sides of you barking loudly with teeth! eek

My sparring partner for the day [Tyronne] probably said it best when he wrote "Sam had done an admirable job of threading the needle on this issue", and I couldn't agree more.

Respect is something that you must earn and sometimes you have to fight for it. I realize that Sam was put in a rather tough position yesterday regarding his new role as recital administrator and it took some skill and patience to pull off the renaming without upsetting anyone. Monica was very skilled at doing this but apparently Sam is quite capable at doing it himself.

The new title, layout, and wording of our 'refreshed' recital is spot on. thumb The dedication to Monica and honoring her memory "in" the title without 'changing' the title was a tiny stroke of genius!. And the fact that the history and recognition of the original founding members were preserved made it all just perfect.

I'll call B.S when I see it, but I'll also give credit to someone when credit is due and today I'm giving credit to Sam for threading the needle on this one and successfully pulling it off.

I'd also like to thank my new sparring partner [Tyronne] for his spirited discussion yesterday which may have gotten a little heated at times but was well worth the time and effort as it ultimately resulted in an outcome that works for everyone. My sincere 'thank you' and appreciation go out to both of you as a result.

As I've said before, we've probably got more in common than not so let's focus on those things and we'll be good to go in the future; or at least for a little while. grin

MSH.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: A day of reckoning and the calm after the storm.
mr_super-hunky #2895768 09/30/19 05:03 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Concur. (Mostly. wink grin )

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
mr_super-hunky #2895769 09/30/19 05:03 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I'm think Monica would have loved it, that you wrote what you did above Mr SH.

mr_super-hunky #2895775 09/30/19 05:28 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks Mr. S-H, but I really just used the wording that Tyrone and others came up with, so you should be thanking Tyrone.

How is your health? None of us are getting any younger. Hope you are doing well. I know you missed some recitals and were absent from the forums for awhile.

Sam

Sam S #2895797 09/30/19 07:54 AM
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
Thanks Mr. S-H, but I really just used the wording that Tyrone and others came up with, so you should be thanking Tyrone.

Sam

Okay, I'll go with that. Thanks Tyrone. This is great. It's like a budding bro-mance of sorts between the three of us don't ya think? But what the heck, let's see where it takes us.

Tyronne : I'm not on the forums much anymore but still like to participate in the recitals and read the new topics when I have a chance. I've noticed some of your posts in the past and it was your writing style that stood out. Pretty amazing actually. You seem to be well versed on many subjects and I admire that quality. It sure beats being a dope right? Your post count of 6k in just one year is also remarkable. If people come here to interact with others as well as to obtain content, then Frank should be paying you!

Nice to meet you.

Sam : One thing I've always wanted to hear more about from you was your harpsichord. They are super-cool instruments and sound incredible when performing a compatible piece. That haunting sound when paired with the perfect spooky piece [on a rainy night, thunder too] does it for me. I once heard a version of Greg Lake's "Father Christmas" which was a duo featuring an acoustic guitar and a harpsichord. It brought chills and goosebumps it was so perfect.

Maybe you could someday post a harpsichord thread with pics and sound?

My health is okay but not great. The growth in my throat is stable, but the symptoms of having 'stricture' can get scary at times with very little air passing through. I've got some plastic tubing and glycerin on hand in case things get really nuts.

I'll be around the forum here and there when I have a chance as well as try and keep up with the recitals. I'm currently really sore from building a new concrete wall [using my Harbor Freight cement mixer] and it came out pretty good.

It's nice too sit down at night after a hard days work and just relax and play freely on the piano. It's a form of relaxation for me and it's a very powerful one. I glance at social media here and there just too keep up on things but I can only look at cat memes and people posing so long you know? I would rather spend my time in the evenings playing piano so that's what I do. Just me, the dog and the noise of the refrigerator. [wife can sleep through anything]

Hot shower, piano, and then to bed. That's the recipe [plus some NyQuil at times if joints hurt.]

Btw, Maybe we can get some more people to join in here and have some kind of big love fest or something? Nothing too freaky, just casual conversation. I know about your cross country hiking trek, your piano rebuilding skills, and the Maine piano camp thing you do every year. While I don't know much about my mutual new friend Tyrone, I've seen his writing style as well as his interest in world history and Russian literature.

It's amazing how many new things you can learn about and add to your menu by just talking to people and listening to what they have experience in. It's like free tutoring if you think about it and smart enough too listen. Plus you now have more items on your menu than you did a half sandwich ago!

I really just wanted to say thanks to everyone for coming together and getting this situation handled correctly. It would have sucked to have any kind of ongoing controversy that would pit people against each other as Monica was too important too us to allow that to happen.

It's no secret that you have some potentially explosive ingredients here. But the 'ingredients' were smart enough to work together to successfully accomplish a greater goal.

One that was far more important.

Thanks again. thumb

mr_super-hunky #2895798 09/30/19 08:13 AM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Me! Me! Let me join in! laugh

I always learn so much from the way people handle differences. Not enough that I'll ever do it well in my lifetime, but next time around!

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
mr_super-hunky #2895890 09/30/19 02:48 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I've done a couple of recital submissions on the harpsichord, but I am focused right now on trying to finish my piano performance degree (you did know I was going back to school in my old age?). I hope the senior recital will be next Spring. Trying to memorize all that music, and get it to a high enough standard that I won't embarrass myself and the school, takes a big chunk out of every day.

For exercise now I have started biking. Did 3000 miles last year and am trying to repeat that this year. I just bought a used recumbent, which seems to go with old men riding bikes. It relieves the stress on hands and neck.

Sam

Sam S #2895892 09/30/19 03:11 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I've done a couple of recital submissions on the harpsichord, but I am focused right now on trying to finish my piano performance degree (you did know I was going back to school in my old age?). I hope the senior recital will be next Spring. Trying to memorize all that music, and get it to a high enough standard that I won't embarrass myself and the school, takes a big chunk out of every day.

Did you get a waiver on memorise the Charles Ive's work, or must you still memorise that.

For exercise now I have started biking. Did 3000 miles last year and am trying to repeat that this year. I just bought a used recumbent, which seems to go with old men riding bikes. It relieves the stress on hands and neck.

I was impressed about reading in the archives about you backpacking the entire 2000+ miles of the Appalachian Trail in 5 months. That was really something. Have you done any backpacking since or did that big trip get it all out of your system?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
mr_super-hunky #2895893 09/30/19 03:14 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Most people might not remember me, but I was on PW less and less after I returned to grad school. I kept up with Monica through Facebook, she was so supportive of me when we discussed my application to grad school. (I was actually a moderator here and stepped down in order to study for the GRE, if I'm remembering the timing right.)

Now that I'm finished with my PhD and more settled into my position, I've been on PW more and more. (Well, I also bought a grand piano, so I started frequenting the Piano Forum a lot since then!) But since the last ABF recital was dedicated to Monica, I decided to submit something (after many years of not participating), and I'm glad I was able to do that. Since then I've been reading (lurking mostly, really) here a lot.

Thank you for starting this thread Mr. S-H. My heart is still breaking that she's gone.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tyrone Slothrop #2895907 09/30/19 04:19 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Did you get a waiver on memorise the Charles Ive's work, or must you still memorise that.

I can use the score for the Ives, thank goodness. I still have to memorize big chunks just to play it though.

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I was impressed about reading in the archives about you backpacking the entire 2000+ miles of the Appalachian Trail in 5 months. That was really something. Have you done any backpacking since or did that big trip get it all out of your system?

I haven't been backpacking again since then. But my other sport, and one I have been doing for over 30 years, is orienteering. I make maps, design courses, and compete with the Georgia Orienteering Club. Map, Compass, Thrills!

Sam

mr_super-hunky #2895909 09/30/19 04:28 PM
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I probably missed the thread but what is the new name of the recital ?

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Serge88 #2895926 09/30/19 05:22 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Serge88

You can see it at recitals.pianoworld.com

Sam

Sam S #2895943 09/30/19 07:08 PM
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Wonderful !

Originally Posted by Serge88

You can see it at recitals.pianoworld.com

Sam

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

mr_super-hunky #2895975 09/30/19 09:24 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
It’s great to see both Mr. S-H and ShiroKuro on this thread. I feel like they, and Monica, are part of my Piano Forum childhood when I posted much more (and practiced more). I love reading what is going on with you all! I think of the young pianist Matt (I don’t remember his forum name) who really impressed me with his Croatian Rhapsody, a piece that many of my teacher’s students wanted to play after I did it at a recital. It’s so much fun.

I will brag and say I have met Sam in person at one of his lovely piano-playing gatherings. It’s about 75 minutes from home, so I don’t make it many months, but he and his wife are wonderful hosts and have really created a community by starting that group.

I am about 14 months from retirement and looking forward to more flexibility in what I do. I just had a freelance article published, which has definitely fed my writing bug. I have just finished an Einaudi piece and may record it for the next recital, though it pales next to Monica’s version and many others. Maybe I’ll re-learn Croatian Rhapsody!

Estonia 168
mr_super-hunky #2896008 10/01/19 03:21 AM
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Nancy; It's great to see you here too. I think some kind of funk-phenomenon is happening lately as I'm seeing more and more 'originals' coming back to the forum after taking some time off. I feel it's a good thing to do from time to time as it makes you appreciate what we have here even more.

I don't know a whole lot about you other than you started the thread that got Monica hooked on Einaudi with something like a Brazillion hits! A lot of members have you to thank for that thread and I'm glad your still around to share your music with us.

ShiroKuro: You're another member who's been around here since the early days. It's always good to see you here as it brings back many memories. I still remember you scolding me for that big "O" thread when you were moderator! I was in my 30's at the time and thought it was funny, but now I'm in my 50's and can see how it may have been just a little inappropriate. Oh well, something we can laugh about now right?. I hope you continue to stick around as well and participate in our recitals. And big congratulations for obtaining your PhD. I mean WOW! I know you worked for many years on it. You get out of something what you put into it and I'm glad to hear it all finally paid off for you. Again big congrats on that achievement.

Sam : Yes I remember that you are going for your piano performance degree although I forgot to mention that as you have so many logs on the fire. Retirement is about slowing down but you seem keep adding more and more to your achievement list. Your ambition is second to none; at any age! So many people talk about doing this or doing that 'someday', but 'someday' will never come if you're comfortable putting off something 'till the future when you could do it today. People need to adopt a different mindset. Instead of doing something 'one day', they should say 'today is day one' and just get it done. It's so much easier that way!

I knew we would find something in common if we just looked a bit and what do you know, we did,....and it's cycling! [with a twist of course] A few years ago I wanted to get involved in something that would include my dog as he has so much energy. We play extreme Frisbee toss in which I toss the Frisbee and he catches it over a long distance. We are successfully making 60+ yard catches which is a great workout for him and my workout is peddling the box-bike [Bakfiets] to and from the playing field.

I built the box-bike myself which required some welding and frame modification but it came out pretty good. Plus I saved a fortune building it myself as these things are super-expensive to buy. My dog Ringo absolutely loves it and we go for bike rides all the time. Here's a pic of the finished product.

[Linked Image]

It can get a bit heavy going up hills so in the future I may put an electric motor on it where I only have to pedal on flat surfaces and push a button to go up hills. How sweet is that? The bike is made out of the rear half of an adult bike and the front half uses a kids 20'' front wheel. The frame has been extended to accommodate the box and an exterior steering arm turns the front wheel. A project that combines fitness, quality time with my dog, and a plethora of strange looks from others as we drive by!

Last edited by mr_super-hunky; 10/01/19 03:28 AM.
mr_super-hunky #2896024 10/01/19 05:52 AM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
always nice to hear from you mr_super-hunky, this forum has not been the same without you.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
mr_super-hunky #2896037 10/01/19 06:54 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Mr. S-H, for your next project, make a bike-piano! I know it's been done, both upright and grand. You can do it!

Sam

mr_super-hunky #2896081 10/01/19 10:20 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I stayed out of the "controversy" other than agreeing with SH that a new name was not necessary. For that matter I stay out of all on line controversies. One thing I've learned over the years (and one big lesson was right here on the forum) is that it is so easy to be misunderstood and it is just not worth the aggravation. A good friend used to say all the time "Life is just too mysterious to take serious". I apply that big time to social media.

Anyway, I'm still thinking of Monica when I sit down to play. I never met her but yet feel like she was such a good friend. She actually bought a number of paintings of mine and never failed to comment on any work I put up on youtube. It would get to the point I would anxiously await her judgement on any of my new compositions. And after reading so many of the comments of others here I see how supportive she was for many others as well. What an amazing person. I miss her and I'm glad we could all agree that the recitals do indeed need to be dedicated to her memory.

Thanks Sam for getting it done.

mr_super-hunky #2896201 10/01/19 04:02 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I don't know what the controversy is . . .yet. Anybody gonna tell me? smile

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #2896213 10/01/19 04:45 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
I don't know what the controversy is . . .yet. Anybody gonna tell me? smile

You can find it all on the thread entitled ‘Monica’, posts from 28-29 Sept

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Passable new string
by LemonColor - 10/29/20 09:06 PM
Faure Improvization
by cmb13 - 10/29/20 08:45 PM
Once upon a time there was a real Gors and Kallman
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 07:01 PM
Practice advice
by 3B43 - 10/29/20 06:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,484
Posts3,018,571
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission