2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
62 members (arl16, ando, AcousticAndre, anotherscott, Burkey, Anglagard44, accordeur, Bill McKaig,RPT, andredatele, 14 invisible), 655 guests, and 477 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kawai CA67 Headphones Detector Stuck On
#2895241 09/28/19 03:09 PM
K
karvala Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
The title pretty much says it: my CA67 seems to think that headphones are plugged in when they are clearly not, and as a result is muting the speakers. Has anyone encountered this before and/or solved this?

More details: the CA67 has two headphones sockets (1/4" and 1/8"), which can be used simultaneously if desired. Normally I play with headphones plugged in, and essentially it seems to have got "stuck" assuming that headphones are always in, and now that the headphones have been removed, it fails to detect this and continues to show the indicator for headphones being plugged in.

Potential problems or remedies that I have checked and ruled out:-

1. I do not have anything still plugged into either socket; I have triple-checked this.
2. There is no setting anywhere, in any menu, to manually control whether or not it is playing with headphones. It is purely by automatic detection, which appears to be broken.
3. Doing a factory reset has made no difference; it still shows the headphones attached indicator when clearly they are not attached.
4. I have no other connections (line in, line out, MIDI etc.) to the instrument so there is nothing else complicating the situation.
5. I have powered down the instrument for an hour (as in, unplugged from the mains) and replugged, but still the problem persists.
6. The lack of sound from the speakers is not due to anything else - the headphones indicator clearly indicates that the instrument thinks headphones are plugged in and this is muting the speakers. None of the midi settings are disabling local sound or anything like that.
7. I can still get sound through headphones if I plug them in; I simply get no sound if I unplug them (because it thinks they're still plugged in and continues to route sound to the headphone sockets alone).

It's still under warranty, so once I figure out who to call, I will, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this?

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: Kawai CA67 Headphones Detector Stuck On
karvala #2895245 09/28/19 03:43 PM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Those are the tests I would have done.

Additionally, you might:

- Carefully look at and feel your headphone TRS pins and the bumper for any damage.
- Try other headphones as the sizes are not very consistent and might jigger something into place.
- Use a bright torch to look inside for any damage in the jacks.

Otherwise I would suspect just be a failed basic TRS switching jack inside the piano. For reference.

https://www.cui.com/blog/understand...atics#-detect-when-the-plug-is-inserted-

http://www.switchcraft.com/Documents/Jack_Schematics.pdf

Typical jack operations at bottom of each PDF
http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=580

I would guess your Kawai jacks look similar to those of the MP11se
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14rso5mERp4

karvala #2895247 09/28/19 03:44 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
It sounds like you have fundamentally troubleshot it. Probably makes sense to call Kawai at this point.

If you are intent on trying to fix yourself, you may want to plug/unplug from the socket a few times to see if it sorts out.

Not sure if this is a good idea, but you could try a bit of non-conductive lubricant/grease in case the contact is sticking?

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
karvala #2895283 09/28/19 05:41 PM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
Bummer !

There's a switch, built into the headphone jack, that the DP uses to sense whether a plug is inserted, or not.

I _think_ that switch is "normally closed" -- that is, with no plug inserted, it's "on".

If there's a bit of dirt between the contacts, the switch will be always "off", and the DP will always think that there's a headphone plug inserted.

. . . If the piano is still under warranty, it should be a "warranty repair".

If you want to try something yourself, spraying some compressed air, into the phone jack, might help. And it should be safe. Compressed-air cans are in every computer shop, used for cleaning computer keyboards.

I wouldn't recommend spraying "contact cleaner" (which is slightly oily):

. . . You have no control over where it goes, inside the DP, and

. . . A tech will _know_ that you've used it.

The jack could be broken internally, but that's not something you want to work on -- if you had the skills and tools, you wouldn't be asking here.

Good luck --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
karvala #2895310 09/28/19 06:45 PM
L
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
Plug in your headphones rotate and wiggle gently. Sometimes a bang with a palm on the area might get it unstuck.

If it works only use the other jack.

I just saw is still under warranty call Kawai and have them replace the Jack.

Last edited by Learux; 09/28/19 06:48 PM.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
karvala #2895655 09/29/19 06:35 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello karvala,

Sorry to read about this inconvenience.

Originally Posted by karvala
It's still under warranty, so once I figure out who to call, I will, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this?

It's not something that I have ever encountered, I'm afraid. My recommendation would be to contact Kawai UK and arrange for the issue to be fixed under warranty.

https://www.kawai.co.uk/support/contactus/

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
karvala #2895801 09/30/19 07:37 AM
K
karvala Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies, it is much appreciated. Many of those suggestions are in fact things I had also tried but not mentioned for brevity sake, so it's reassuring to know I've covered most of the expected thing. Specifically I had:-

1. Tested with other headphones in both sockets - makes no difference.
2. Visually inspected the socket with a torch for damage - hard to tell but I can't see anything that looks obviously out of place or damaged.
3. Looked at the connectors of the headphones that had been plugged in for damage, as I understand it's a common problem for parts to break off and get stuck in the socket. Not the case here; the headphones are all still fine, and all still work okay in other devices.
4. Sprayed with compressed air in case there was any dirt or something shorting the connectors - unfortunately also made no difference.

Very glad that those suggestions were also made, though, so thanks for those. I've elected not to do any kind of cleaning involving physical contact or substances, largely for warranty reasons and to ensure I don't exacerbate any problem, so I think I've reached the end of the road with what I can do. I agree with newer_player that it looks to be most likely a failed switching jack, which I guess can happen sometimes.

Many thanks for the contact link; I will contact them now and schedule a repair.

Last edited by karvala; 09/30/19 07:39 AM.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
Learux #2895900 09/30/19 02:37 PM
O
O
Originally Posted by Learux
Plug in your headphones rotate and wiggle gently. Sometimes a bang with a palm on the area might get it unstuck.

If it works only use the other jack.

I just saw is still under warranty call Kawai and have them replace the Jack.

This worked for me - whilst unrelated, I had a MacBook on which I could not get the volume controls to work.

After being inspected by the apple store and a recommendation to have part of the logic board replaced (£££), I pondered as to whether it was the headphone jack.

Plugged them in - rotated and wiggled the jack and het presto! Not happened again in three years.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner looking for purchase advice
by savagekeys - 12/05/20 11:21 AM
Fazioli soundboards
by Withindale - 12/05/20 10:08 AM
Practice and resting
by Ubu - 12/05/20 05:25 AM
Strange phenomena....
by piano_primo - 12/05/20 12:55 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,279
Posts3,030,862
Members99,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission