2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Ameron Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi, does anyone know some old or recent methods / compositions / performers focusing on the mirror symmetry (mirror axis D) of the keyboard? Thank you for your contributions!

T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Ameron! And welcome to Piano World! Two composers I can think of that were fascinated by symmetry were Bela Bartok and Vincent Persichetti. In Mikrokosmos 6, Bartok explores symmetrical thinking in several of the pieces. Persichetti wrote an entire Sonata, called the "Mirror Sonata", based rigorously on symmetrical movement from varying pitch centers. Also, I just recently recorded the Sonata #1 by Finnish composer Einojuhani Rautavaara, many passages of which very clearly use symmetrical relationships.

A
Ameron Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you for providing these informations! I got aware of this phenomenon by the „9th Etude Inversion“ (Polyphonic Notebook / 25 Polyphonic Preludes, op. 50) composed by the Russian composer Rodion Schtschedrin (*1923), who was close with Dmitri Schostakowitsch. It's kind of strange that the possibilities of playing mirror symmetrically seem to be unexplored so far.

R
R
I don't know if you mean music in which every note in the right hand is exactly "mirrored" simultaneously by corresponding notes in the left, but in terms of explorations of symmetry I don't think you can get much more symmetric than say, the canons from Bach's Musical Offering or the "mirror fugues" from the Art of Fugue. In fact, just about anything by Bach is in part an exploration of symmetry. As for exact "mirroring", I can't think of much.

A
Ameron Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you very much for your answer! I was thinking of mirror symmetric music where both hands use the same type of keyboard key (black/white) at the same time while playing in contrary motion, meaning that the interval structure and the performers haptical sensations on the keyboard are the same on both sides of the body. In the meantime i have read a book on Vincent Persichetti; there is mentioned a textbook regarding mirror symmetrical exercises by Bernhard Ziehn (1845–1912), but unfortunately i couldn't find it online.

S
S
Maybe they're already familiar to you, but Ernst Bacon has some paragraphs on mirror-form practising and its benefits in his book, Notes on the Piano.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

https://understanding-piano-technique.com/uptcom
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think Marc-André Hamelin said he practised using mirror symmetry. I believe he did this with etudes that weren't written this way.

Last edited by johnstaf; 09/27/19 10:59 PM.
A
Ameron Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you – i did'nt know the book of Ernst Bacon.

A
Ameron Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I found out, that jazz pianst Chick Corea also augmented his pianistic skills using the mirror symmetry of the keyboard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no9UErT-m-k.
He mentions mirror symmetrical excercises by Florestano Rossomandi (1857–1933) but i don't know the name of the studies, i guess it was an italian textbook. Perhaps someone who reads this post can provide some information.

A
Ameron Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I finally found a lot of useful information regarding the mirror symmetry of the keyboard on this website: https://victoralcantara.de/en/buecher

Last edited by Ameron; 11/09/19 01:13 PM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I always think Chick Corea looks like Beethoven in those videos.

A
Ameron Offline OP
OP Offline
A
It seems that a younger generation of jazz pianists is also aware of the phenomenon of the mirror symmetry of the keyboard. Jesus Molina, one of the rising stars of contemporary jazz, sometimes publishes videos on Youtube, instagram and shows his playing in contrary motion:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2U45stp5wQ/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce1Q08nhic0

Here someone has transcribed the youtube exercise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Bit2PSoPk

A
Ameron Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Another accomplished jazz pianist who uses mirror-symmetrical piano playing is Jeremy Siskind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh8uJrzw6M8

A
Ameron Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Argentinean pianist and USA-based Pablo Ablanedo published a book with short mirror-symmetrical exercises for beginners in 2015:
https://www.pabloablanedo.com/new-page-2

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ameron
Argentinean pianist and USA-based Pablo Ablanedo published a book with short mirror-symmetrical exercises for beginners in 2015:
https://www.pabloablanedo.com/new-page-2

$16.00 at mDeck and $899.99 at Amazon!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Besides the sonata mentioned earlier, Vincent Persichetti also published three other works totally composed in mirror writing. They are the Little Mirror Book, the Reflective Keyboard Studies for Piano, and the Mirror Etudes. The Little Mirror Book is a set of five pieces of no particular difficulty. The Reflective Keyboard Studies for Piano are for more advanced players, and are very short (two or three lines of music, repeated once). I've found them interesting, challenging, and useful. Although Persichetti supplied tempo marking, metronome markings, dynamics, and articulations, he says they are just suggestions and the pianist should change them to suit their needs. The Mirror Etudes are difficult, full-fledged concert etudes.

Persichetti's classic textbook, 20th Century Harmony , has a section on mirror writing. My copy is packed away at the moment - I'm not sure how much of that section is about strict mirror writing for piano using D or G# as the "fulcrum".

A
Ameron Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Jazz pianist Dan Tepfer has programmed a Disklavier to mirror his improvisation on the left side of the piano while he plays on the right. Very interesting approach:

A
Ameron Offline OP
OP Offline
A
A kickstarter campaign is currently underway to fund a book containing 16 new piano compositions that address the mirror symmetry of the piano, the pieces relate to the fairy tale "Snow White" and are aimed at the intermediate level:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...tions-16-mirror-symmetrical-piano-pieces

R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R
I use mirror symmetry all the time. I just take passages or excerpts for the right hand and take their mirror image for the left.

A
Ameron Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I think you can benefit a lot from practicing passages mirror-symmetrically. As for the compositions that are an essential part of the current piano repertoire, there still don't seem to be many pieces to choose from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission