2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
48 members (Auraltuner, Burkey, Bett, cmb13, BrokenSymmetry, Alexander Acosta, 1957, calenadariel, accordeur, 13 invisible), 358 guests, and 386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Monica..
Ken Knapp #2894711 09/27/19 05:53 AM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
The time limit on editing posts is one of the most annoying aspects of posting here but I’ve made it a game to see how many edits I can get in within ten minutes, which I think is the time period. It would be nice if they could change the time limit to twenty minutes. There are good reasons not to allow posts to be edited indefinitely.

Last edited by LarryK; 09/27/19 05:54 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Ken Knapp #2894718 09/27/19 06:32 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The whole "Beginner and Beyond" change (I was the one who carried out the change for the forum, and was involved in the discussion) was not needed, I think. A few vocal members were complaining that the recitals were not really "beginner" anymore. Well, the recitals are open to everyone - you don't even need a forum account to participate. If beginners don't take part that's just human nature. It really takes a dedicated beginner to play in front of other people, even in an anonymous forum. And the idea that the veteran recital performers were "no longer welcome" was not well thought out. The advanced players and veteran recital performers are the members who keep this forum active.

This forum (and by extension, the recital) has always had a naming problem. Many who participate are restarting piano, not beginners. I've been here since 2007, and no one would call me a beginner anymore. Do I need to stop participating?

If I remember correctly, Monica was reluctant abut adding "Beginner and Beyond", but we went with the consensus, and did it anyway. I don't think the change accomplished anything - the character of the recital didn't change, and we didn't attract more beginners.

Yes, I have already changed the name of the recital to "ABF Monica K. Quarterly Recital". But if the consensus wants it removed, I'll change it back. I removed the "Beginner and Beyond" wording some time ago...

We also need to have a discussion (maybe in another thread?) about the future of the recital. I've taken Monica's place as admin. That's an easy, but tedious, job, four times a year. I also maintain the software for the recitals and created the index. That doesn't take much time, but requires special skills. I took over maintaining the software years ago when the original person disappeared, then moved it all to the PW servers (which is good and bad). I have no backup person. It would at least be good to have someone who has been around a long time, has no plan to stop participating, and knows how to keep a php/mysql site running, that I can share the passwords with. So that there is continuity when something happens to me...

Sam

mr_super-hunky #2894719 09/27/19 06:36 AM
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky

But what we really want to do is honor Monica and show our appreciation for all of her efforts and I think we can do this by dedicating the recital to her without actually renaming it but adding the dedication paragraph under the title.. This accomplishes both goals of keeping the future communication clear as to who this recital is for as well as keeping the memory of Monica alive and in out thoughts.

The next recital is still almost 2 months away and this discussion should probably continue on a bit longer as several members have brought up some very valid points. There is no time frame or rush to get this done so let's spend a bit more time discussing this so if and when a change is made it is thoroughly thought out and implemented confidently without any hesitation.

Mr Super-Hunky, you are probably the best-placed of all of us to offer advice, and i found your comments both sensitive and sensible.

And you are right - there is no need to rush any changes.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LIX

My C3 - solace. And joy.
Ken Knapp #2894733 09/27/19 08:22 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I still vote to change the name of the recital. I don't agree with the idea of wouter79 and mr_super-hunky. Furthermore, I feel the greatest amount of support in this thread is for changing the title.

However, as Sam has said before when this topic of name change first came up, I think this forum is by and for our members/participators. I am thinking that we should have a proper vote though to see what the silent majority thinks. Perhaps we can add this as a question to the next annual survey, Sam, which should be coming up when we come up with more questions? Ask the question and then a simple majority decides it.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
mr_super-hunky #2894735 09/27/19 08:40 AM
2.) I also left out and wanted to add that it may be more appropriate as well as more accurate to 'dedicate' the recitals to Monica and recognize her efforts as opposed to renaming the recital after her. This is not in any way a 'lesser' memorial of her but rather a way to keep her memory alive and in our thoughts on a permanent basis while keeping the name of the recital and communication to future participants clear and to the point. Monica really liked that fact when the original name was finally chosen.

Excellent point, well stated...

Among her many commendable qualities Monica was humble, and that humility probably has her looking down right now from that big Recital Room in the sky while she is seated in front of that now always in perfect tune Mason and Hamlin and wanting to give everyone a gigantic group hug for their love and good intentions, but nevertheless feeling just a tad uncomfortable with the idea of having her name included in the title of the ABF Recitals...just wondering if she might suggest something else instead...maybe even "The ABF Mr. Super_Hunky Recital"...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Monica K. #2894738 09/27/19 08:43 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Monica is gone but her proxy who has her password has said:
Originally Posted by Monica K.
This is Athena, Monica's child. In her last directives she wanted me to make a post here, but I see that your loving community has already gotten the ball rolling. Thank you all so much for your kind words. I love reading about how much people appreciated her. This space meant so much to her- for over a decade I've heard stories about all the forum regulars, and I've been awed by the amount of support and love that she's received from people all over the world in the last few months. I'm very honored that you're considering naming the recital in her honor. It was just one of the many labors in her life that she took on voluntarily, and I'm so glad that she's being recognized for it.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2894748 09/27/19 09:12 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
This is Athena, Monica's child. In her last directives she wanted me to make a post here, but I see that your loving community has already gotten the ball rolling. Thank you all so much for your kind words. I love reading about how much people appreciated her. This space meant so much to her- for over a decade I've heard stories about all the forum regulars, and I've been awed by the amount of support and love that she's received from people all over the world in the last few months. I'm very honored that you're considering naming the recital in her honor. It was just one of the many labors in her life that she took on voluntarily, and I'm so glad that she's being recognized for it.

+1

[Linked Image]
Tyrone Slothrop #2894749 09/27/19 09:13 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I still vote to change the name of the recital. I don't agree with the idea of wouter79 and mr_super-hunky. Furthermore, I feel the greatest amount of support in this thread is for changing the title.

However, as Sam has said before when this topic of name change first came up, I think this forum is by and for our members/participators. I am thinking that we should have a proper vote though to see what the silent majority thinks. Perhaps we can add this as a question to the next annual survey, Sam, which should be coming up when we come up with more questions? Ask the question and then a simple majority decides it.

I also vote to change it.

[Linked Image]
Ken Knapp #2894779 09/27/19 10:20 AM
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I think it would be a nice memorial to name it after her. I recognize there were others who helped create the recital and who were instrumental in its progress. But Monica selflessly and caringly took the time to work as the administrator for many years and was taken from us too young. Not to diminish the contributions of anyone else, but IMO the tribute is fitting and deserved.

I also think this should go to a new thread if we are to continue the discussion or put it to a vote.

Addendum: maybe we could add founding members in a list on the front page of each recital.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Ken Knapp #2894788 09/27/19 10:54 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A survey would be misleading, since I can't control who answers a survey. If you are interested in this topic, then state your opinion. Personally I think we have come up with a fitting tribute. For 13+ years she kept the quarterly recitals going...

Sam

Sam S #2894790 09/27/19 11:02 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
Personally I think we have come up with a fitting tribute. For 13+ years she kept the quarterly recitals going...

+1!

[Linked Image]

Ken Knapp #2894878 09/27/19 03:13 PM
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
I think it deserves consideration that Monica was not only one of the founders, but that she remained active as both an administrator and a participant in all of the recitals. This, in a forum where the average participant is here for a season and then disappears. Monica stayed with it for over thirteen years. For that she deserves special recognition.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Stubbie #2894882 09/27/19 03:22 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
I think it deserves consideration that Monica was not only one of the founders, but that she remained active as both an administrator and a participant in all of the recitals. This, in a forum where the average participant is here for a season and then disappears. Monica stayed with it for over thirteen years. For that she deserves special recognition.

That she herself submitted to every recital for 13 years is amazing by itself. She walked the walk, with respect to recitals. She never cut herself one break or skipped a recital for any reason. She gave of herself for these recitals.

[Linked Image]

Tyrone Slothrop #2894894 09/27/19 03:55 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
Personally I think we have come up with a fitting tribute. For 13+ years she kept the quarterly recitals going...

+1!

+2

[Linked Image]
Ken Knapp #2894915 09/27/19 04:59 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Many who participate are restarting piano, not beginners.

... or restarting after restarting after restarting. smile

The point is that we're all very much REAL amateurs who won't be confused with conservatory-trained musicians who might periodically appear in big-name "amateur" competitions.

On naming, I'm content with the change to refer to Monica in the title. But offering a dedication somewhere on the page is fine too ...

as in:

-- ABF recital --

in memory of Monica J. Kern (Monica K) who etc. etc.

Tyrone Slothrop #2894919 09/27/19 05:08 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Once again I can't stress enough how a thorough discussion on this subject over time is going to give us the best results. No need or benefit for any knee jerk reactions or implementations. Next recital is still nearly 2 months away.

The above quote that Tyrone posted is written by Monicas daughter Athena in which she states "I'm very honored that you're considering naming the recital in her honor". Nothing will trump that statement. I agree.

I could continue to go on about how Monica would appreciate being recognized for her work and efforts but also would not want the recitals to become all about her. Simple and effective communication was very important to her. She wanted to get to the point in a simple and clear way so that as many people could clearly understand the concept with as little confusion as possible. We discussed this at length together in the beginning via p.m's when deciding upon a name change. She taught me a lot. She was very particular about this. [Remember the deadlines which were firm...Think Concrete!!

Having said that, I honestly don't know what to do at this point. Monica's daughter had clearly stated that she's honored to have the recitals named in Monica's honor and those were her exact directives towards us.

So let's do that that. Name the recital in her honor as requested.

mr_super-hunky #2894927 09/27/19 05:39 PM
M
M

Once again I can't stress enough how a thorough discussion on this subject over time is going to give us the best results. No need or benefit for any knee jerk reactions or implementations. Next recital is still nearly 2 months away.

The above quote that Tyrone posted is written by Monicas daughter Athena in which she states "I'm very honored that you're considering naming the recital in her honor". Nothing will trump that statement. I agree.

I could continue to go on about how Monica would appreciate being recognized for her work and efforts but also would not want the recitals to become all about her. Simple and effective communication was very important to her. She wanted to get to the point in a simple and clear way so that as many people could clearly understand the concept with as little confusion as possible. We discussed this at length together in the beginning via p.m's when deciding upon a name change. She taught me a lot. She was very particular about this. [Remember the deadlines which were firm...Think Concrete!!

Having said that, I honestly don't know what to do at this point. Monica's daughter had clearly stated that she's honored to have the recitals named in Monica's honor and those were her exact directives towards us.

So let's do that that. Name the recital in her honor as requested.

I support this as well.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ken Knapp #2894933 09/27/19 06:14 PM
Well, Monica's daughter only said that she'd be honored if we renamed the Recital after her mother - she didn't insist or even ask that we do so - nor did she say that Monica had asked her to request that we do this...

However, I have no real objection if we change the name to that which has been proposed - I think it's a very fitting tribute - I was only wondering WWMD?

Anyone have a direct hot line to the Great Beyond?

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Ken Knapp #2895044 09/28/19 05:37 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
After reflection, I agree with SH that renaming the recital is not necessary. I think that dedicating the recital to Monica is the most important thing.

Ken Knapp #2895068 09/28/19 07:06 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Would Monica like to have her name there?

I think not. I think she preferred to stay in the background.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Passable new string
by LemonColor - 10/29/20 09:06 PM
Faure Improvization
by cmb13 - 10/29/20 08:45 PM
Once upon a time there was a real Gors and Kallman
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 07:01 PM
Practice advice
by 3B43 - 10/29/20 06:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,484
Posts3,018,571
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission