2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1957, Barly, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 426 of 452 1 2 424 425 426 427 428 451 452
L
L
Originally Posted by Progman

--- start out HS until you have it at speed and then go HT

This is an interesting piece of advice I must admit I don't entirely understand.

Essentially everything I have played so far (essentially all of Alfred 1). playing each hand separately is almost trivial (often able to prima vista play through). The entire difficulty, for me, is playing the hands together in time! As a result, I almost never practice hands separate (the outlier is a tricky fingering section,which usually only requires 5 minutes or so to figure out, and then the difficulties is performing it correctly with the other hand). Do others find this to be the case? Am I doing something wrong??

I assume that as pieces get more difficult, hands separate makes more sense as the fingerings, speed, reach, etc. become more challenging, but I don't feel like I've found it yet!

A
A
Hey Lazarus most of these short pieces are easy to play HT but for bits that keep tripping me up I find it easier to work HS until it is firm in my mind. Otherwise I find I keep stumbling at the same place and essentially practicing my screw ups. I imagine the further a guy goes the more each piece needs to be broken down into digestible sized pieces.

L
L
Originally Posted by Tech-key
Welcome to the forum, Janet! I didn’t completely learn the flipped version of “When the Saints…”, either. Just attempted it a few times.

I finished Chattanooga Choo Choo a day or two after I last came here. So happy to have finally completed the book. Took me so long! Have moved on to book 2. It starts with a very simple song. Nice way to lure people in! The teacher in the Let’s Play Piano Methods channel, didn’t even cover it. The first section in book 2 is essentially a review of the key and time signatures covered in the first book. But the music keeps getting more and more complex as the section proceeds. Glad to see lots of pieces with triplets here. I am not very good at those.

Congrats on moving on to book 2!

I'm right behind you, and itching to move on. I'm not really enjoying many of the end songs too much, but think I will do "Laura" and the Chattanooga Choo Choo as two of the more interesting.

Originally Posted by Lazarus

Congrats on moving on to book 2!

I'm right behind you, and itching to move on. I'm not really enjoying many of the end songs too much, but think I will do "Laura" and the Chattanooga Choo Choo as two of the more interesting.

Thanks! Don’t worry about leaving out a song or too. It has around 70 frickin’ songs. You’ll get enough practice. smile I had kind of made a pledge to myself to record all the book 1 songs. I’m doing no such thing for book 2, haha. I think I’ll only do that for the ones I like.

Essentially everything I have played so far (essentially all of Alfred 1). playing each hand separately is almost trivial (often able to prima vista play through). The entire difficulty, for me, is playing the hands together in time! As a result, I almost never practice hands separate (the outlier is a tricky fingering section,which usually only requires 5 minutes or so to figure out, and then the difficulties is performing it correctly with the other hand). Do others find this to be the case? Am I doing something wrong??

I don’t practice HS as a general rule. However, I find myself playing one handed sometimes. Mostly, it is to check how the melody sounds at a good tempo. My teacher often explains things by playing the harmony. It has kind of rubbed off on me. Also, after he started nagging me about playing musically, I check the dynamics, phrasing, etc. one handed on certain pieces. It’s all quite whimsical really. I don’t strategically practice these things like this.

In case of a technical difficulty, I always try to deliberately practice the hand having the tricky area, until I've solved it. I usually run into some technical roadblock even in simple pieces. Just a few days back, I was trying out a beginner’s piece I like by Bartok. Linking it below. On paper, it looked simple. But when I tried out, I couldn’t do the left hand slurs smoothly. The printed fingering is incredibly awkward for me, and I couldn’t find another way of doing those slurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf7xeSTYPD8

I had to do slow back and forths between A-E and D-F# with just the left hand, till it felt smooth. It finally worked out over the course of 2-3 days, and now I can start learning the whole thing. Practicing both hands wouldn’t have helped me much in the beginning, as co-ordination between both hands is not going to be my bottleneck in this piece. So, yes, at times like this, I have to do one handed practice, whether I like it or not. cry

They won't let me edit my typos. This is what I meant laugh

Don’t worry about leaving out a song or two from the popular selections. Book 2 has around 70 frickin’ songs. You’ll get enough practice. smile

Think Twice, Play Once
L
L
How's everyone in here doing?

My update: I've officially moved on to Alfred 2! I decided to really cut out most of the end pieces -- I am working form several other books, so the need to branch out beyond the pure "method" songs is less strong and I'm eager to get going on new material.

For those curious, I've apparently spent a total of 71 hrs 42 minutes practicing from Alfred AOI 1 during the period 4/27-9/11

Hey Lazarus, congratulations!! Best wishes for your journey ahead thumb

Think Twice, Play Once
J
J
Congratulations, Lazarus! Completing Book 1 under 5 months is very good going. Have fun with the second book!

I was hoping I had found a piano teacher locally but unfortunately it turned out she was fully booked. frown So I am still progressing by myself. smile I am currently practising the pedal on the Harp Song and reviewing the previous pieces I have learned. I find that if I do not play them for a while I can no longer play them without errors and/or hesitation. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JanetL
I was hoping I had found a piano teacher locally but unfortunately it turned out she was fully booked. frown

Janet, You might also consider online teachers (that teach via video). PW has some teachers who teach online, including my own teacher, Morodiene.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
J
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I was hoping I had found a piano teacher locally but unfortunately it turned out she was fully booked. frown

Janet, You might also consider online teachers (that teach via video). PW has some teachers who teach online, including my own teacher, Morodiene.

Thanks for the suggestion, Tyrone. Is there a list of PW online teachers?

I am going away mid-week and won't be back until the week after so I will wait until I am back before contacting anyone.

... Is there a list of PW online teachers?

There's a separate forum just for Piano teachers. You could probably pop right in there and find what you are looking for. Good luck!

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

I am currently practising the pedal on the Harp Song and reviewing the previous pieces I have learned. I find that if I do not play them for a while I can no longer play them without errors and/or hesitation. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

It happens to me too. If you practice again slowly, you'll find it takes much less time to get them going again. Don't worry about it. Even advanced players can't do that with pieces at their level, I think. Or else, why will there be such a thing about repertoire acquisition and maintenance.

You had mentioned counting issues in a previous post. I had similar difficulties in counting while playing. If you're still facing that issue, you can use some of your review time to concentrate more on counting. I had found it very useful. Also, counting and clapping/tapping with just the metronome (without playing), or along with rhythm exercises on YouTube or pages like this. Don’t worry about this either. It takes time and doesn’t get completely easy, but definitely easier with continued practice.

Think Twice, Play Once
P
P
How's everyone in here doing?

My update: I've officially moved on to Alfred 2! I decided to really cut out most of the end pieces -- I am working form several other books, so the need to branch out beyond the pure "method" songs is less strong and I'm eager to get going on new material.

For those curious, I've apparently spent a total of 71 hrs 42 minutes practicing from Alfred AOI 1 during the period 4/27-9/11

Hey! So, I haven't posted here in awhile, but for some reason, after getting to "The Entertainer" before the holidays last year, we haven't done a thing with the book. Zilch! We've been working on other songs. This has been a lot of fun, but I have started to go back into the book to revisit some of the earlier lessons--a few of which proved to be difficult to play!

My teacher is pretty unorthodox from what I've seen, which is probably both a blessing and a curse. I think I actually need to get back into the book, because I am still terrible at reading...yet I am still reading while learning new songs (except that I still end up memorizing them after practicing a lot). The other issue with this particular method is that I don't have set "homework" necessarily...that means that I end up looking up other songs I like to try and figure those out. Not a bad thing, except the songs are typically beyond my skills blush

Oh well, I'm still having fun and must be learning something!

Nice to read about everyone's progress.

B
B
I'm progressing on The Entertainer. Pretty tricky! I've got hands together now, but have to spend some time with the metronome because my timing was off. It took a while to get used to it and get it into my head, so to speak. I can't exactly say that I like the metronome, but it is certainly helpful.

L
L
Congratulations, Lazarus! Completing Book 1 under 5 months is very good going. Have fun with the second book!

I was hoping I had found a piano teacher locally but unfortunately it turned out she was fully booked. frown So I am still progressing by myself. smile I am currently practising the pedal on the Harp Song and reviewing the previous pieces I have learned. I find that if I do not play them for a while I can no longer play them without errors and/or hesitation. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

I think this is pretty typical. Since most of the old songs are still likely above your level to prima vista sight read, once the muscle memory has gone it's not likely you'll be able to just look and play as you once did. Of course, it does come back pretty quickly (even just after as few as a couple run throughs to remember the tricky bits, especially for these shorter pieces).

A
A
I have reached When the Saints Go Marching In and not liking it very much. I was disappointed when I realised it has to be played twice with each hand playing the melody. lol

I understand the timing of this piece and can play the F chord with relative ease but the more I play this song the worse I seem to get. I am thinking of just moving on to the G Position chapter but coming back to it every day until I am happier with it. Not really sure yet but that is the way I am thinking right now.

I thought you were exaggerating... how tough can "When the Saints go Marching In" be. I have been stuck at 99% on this one for a couple days now and still have chords in the right hand to go. I'm assuming my hand will eventually know the difference between a G7 and a F chord and just lock into that position on command. Not so much so far.

J
J
Thank you GidgetKeys, Tech-key and Lazarus for your help and suggestions.

GidgetKeys, now I am back from my trip I will look for an online teacher. I would prefer someone in the same room as me but I have not had much luck in finding one. Lessons via Skype might be more convenient.

Tech-key and Lazarus, I am pleased it is not just me. I was worried I would forget how to play the piano after my break but I think it seemed to help. Weirdly, when I continued with the tunes I had practised before I went away, I seemed to play with more accuracy. However, I did miss my piano during my week away. Now I am back I am consolidating the pieces I was previously learning.

J
J
Originally Posted by amyram
I thought you were exaggerating... how tough can "When the Saints go Marching In" be. I have been stuck at 99% on this one for a couple days now and still have chords in the right hand to go. I'm assuming my hand will eventually know the difference between a G7 and a F chord and just lock into that position on command. Not so much so far.

I am not sure if this will help or not but I practiced the chord changes with both hands separate from the melody, just playing the chords by themselves with both hands. Once I was sure of the chord changes I then played the melody with them. This seemed the easiest way for me. Good luck.

A
A

I am not sure if this will help or not but I practiced the chord changes with both hands separate from the melody, just playing the chords by themselves with both hands. Once I was sure of the chord changes I then played the melody with them. This seemed the easiest way for me. Good luck.

That got me over the hump. !00% with right hand chords. According to my records that was 5.67 hours (340 min) to get to 100%. I will try only chords in the right hand tomorrow after work and see if I can break that record . I think your right about just chords over and over before I slip in some melody...thanks.

J
J
I often play the bits I find difficult over and over again until I think muscle memory must take over. Strangely the second version seemed easier to pick up. I hope you find the same.

I am now trying to learn Beautiful Brown Eyes. There seems to be several things to concentrate on with full chords, broken chords, length of notes and the sustain pedal etc. but I am determined to conquer it! smile

Page 426 of 452 1 2 424 425 426 427 428 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission