2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
76 members (Buzz209, anotherscott, CyberGene, Beowulf, apianostudent, cozmopak, Anglagard44, 36251, 18 invisible), 545 guests, and 480 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Monica..
Ken Knapp #2894233 09/25/19 08:04 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Got my vote...and we are acknowledging the other past and present admins too, right?

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Pianoperformance #2894245 09/25/19 08:23 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianoperformance
Got my vote...and we are acknowledging the other past and present admins too, right?

3rd paragraph

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
mr_super-hunky #2894310 09/26/19 03:54 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W

This.
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky

One caveat however... It is important to continue to recognize and credit the efforts of several other founding members who originally started our online recital [conception, programming, hosting, archiving] contributing a considerable amount of time and resources in doing so. This has been done in a separate paragraph and included in every recital. Their efforts as well as the history of the recital should continue to be preserved this way.

So I vote against it.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
wouter79 #2894316 09/26/19 04:23 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79

This.
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky

One caveat however... It is important to continue to recognize and credit the efforts of several other founding members who originally started our online recital [conception, programming, hosting, archiving] contributing a considerable amount of time and resources in doing so. This has been done in a separate paragraph and included in every recital. Their efforts as well as the history of the recital should continue to be preserved this way.

So I vote against it.

Did you see this? "(but not in replacement of the existing text providing the history of the recital and naming other significant contributors)"? Probably I should have put it in red.

I think we all agree with mr_super-hunky and I don't even see why this is an issue since everyone has been in violent agreement on this point - the existing text with all significant contributors and the early history of the recital must remain and the suggested tribute to Monica is only in addition.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Ken Knapp #2894341 09/26/19 06:20 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Tyrone, to clarify,I feel the other contributors are put too much in the shadow. Are their names also to be added when they die? And why just then? It just does not make sense to me.

Piano*Dad #2894346 09/26/19 06:45 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Two thumbs up!

Make that four thumbs up!

[Linked Image]
Peyton #2894350 09/26/19 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Peyton
Nice. I know Monica would be very pleased to see how we have honored her memory.

I wonder - would she have approved of the renaming? What do you think she would have said if the idea had been proposed to her before her passing?

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Ken Knapp #2894360 09/26/19 07:05 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I made the changes to the landing page for the quarterly recitals. I think we have probably reached a consensus on this, but don't let me stop the discussion...

Sam

Ken Knapp #2894504 09/26/19 02:51 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Monica made a huge contribution to the forum and the recital series, and naming it in her honour is simply a nice way of keeping her memory alive.

I think it feels right, and doesn't prevent us from acknowledging the contributions of others.

wouter79 #2894506 09/26/19 02:59 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
Tyrone, to clarify,I feel the other contributors are put too much in the shadow. Are their names also to be added when they die? And why just then? It just does not make sense to me.

Not one word will be removed from the discussion of the other contributors. I don't think anyone has suggested even subtracting one word from what is presently there. Someone who reads Recital 56 will see every word about every one of other contributors that they saw for Recital 54 and 55, for example.

Originally Posted by johnstaf
Monica made a huge contribution to the forum and the recital series, and naming it in her honour is simply a nice way of keeping her memory alive.

I think it feels right, and doesn't prevent us from acknowledging the contributions of others.

+1

[Linked Image]

Ken Knapp #2894520 09/26/19 03:53 PM

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I think this is a wonderful idea, and I fully support this recognition of Monica and her contibution to the recital.

The only point I would raise is that by using title ‘The Monica K. Quarterly Recital' there is no reference to ABF, and I think that's something to be considered.

I think it is important from a technical point of view for searches and looking things up, for continuity - but more importantly, the whole point of being Adult Beginners (and beyond) is fundamental to our group. Monica made a point of welcoming new members, she was always encouraging new beginners, and was particularly supportive of those who (for whatever reason) were facing the new challenges through self-teaching.

Will great respect for Monica and this renaming - I feel it would be appropriate to keep the ABF initialism as part of the recital title, that is to say:

"The ABF Monica K. Quarterly Recital".

Just my 2 cents.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

casinitaly #2894522 09/26/19 03:56 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I think this is a wonderful idea, and I fully support this recognition of Monica and her contibution to the recital.

The only point I would raise is that by using title ‘The Monica K. Quarterly Recital' there is no reference to ABF, and I think that's something to be considered.

I think it is important from a technical point of view for searches and looking things up, for continuity - but more importantly, the whole point of being Adult Beginners (and beyond) is fundamental to our group. Monica made a point of welcoming new members, she was always encouraging new beginners, and was particularly supportive of those who (for whatever reason) were facing the new challenges through self-teaching.

Will great respect for Monica and this renaming - I feel it would be appropriate to keep the ABF initialism as part of the recital title, that is to say:

Just my 2 cents.

I like that idea.

[Linked Image]

johnstaf #2894524 09/26/19 04:07 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by johnstaf

Another +1 here.

I feel less the need for including ABF in the title, but at the same time I'm happy to go with it or not.

casinitaly #2894563 09/26/19 05:42 PM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J

Just my 2 cents.

+1

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
jotur #2894608 09/26/19 07:51 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur

Just my 2 cents.

+1

+2

[Linked Image]
Ken Knapp #2894685 09/27/19 12:48 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
It seems my clarification was not clear enough.

I'm talking about the suggested name change of the recital. I'm not concerned about the contents of that paragraph. Please re-read my clarification and ignore the quote.

Anyway it seems this discussion is on a dead and as Sam already did the name change.

Ken Knapp #2894688 09/27/19 01:34 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
oops, duplicate, PW was not responding

Last edited by wouter79; 09/27/19 01:34 AM.

Ken Knapp #2894694 09/27/19 02:39 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think it goes without saying that everyone here deeply loved Monica and wants to do something to honor her memory.

I also remember discussing the proposed title of the recital with her and several other members at the time and the "Beginner and Beyond" moniker seemed to fit best. It was in direct response to what to do about all the "beginners" who have been playing for decades but still participate in a "beginners" recital!

Monica absolutely loved the "Beyond" part of the name as it not only solved the problem of what to do with all the obvious non "beginners", but it did it in a way that was inclusive and welcoming to everyone without making them feel like they need to leave or not participate in the recital anymore after a certain amount of time. The term "Beginner and Beyond" meant just that, and even though most of us are not really beginners anymore, many of us started out here as just that. I know I did.

I feel pretty confident that she would have wanted the main title of the recital to remain " The ABF quarterly
Beginners and Beyond recital". But she also would have been appreciative of being recognized for all of her efforts and contributions to the recital over the years.

I think we can accomplish both goals which are:

1.) Keeping the name of the recital accurate and relevant.
2.) Honoring the memory of longtime member and administrator Monica K.

This can be done by keeping the recital name the same and adding the dedication paragraph just underneath the title [on a permanent basis].

As mentioned previously, Monica was a huge asset in the success of our online recitals by administering them for so many years flawlessly, but it was the efforts of several other members who actually created and "started" our recital. It was the efforts of these members working together that made it all happen.

Theoretically, we could name the recital after any one of these founding members who contributed so much but the only real fair way to do this would be to name the recital after every one of the founding members who started it as they all had an equal part in creating it.

But what we really want to do is honor Monica and show our appreciation for all of her efforts and I think we can do this by dedicating the recital to her without actually renaming it but adding the dedication paragraph under the title.. This accomplishes both goals of keeping the future communication clear as to who this recital is for as well as keeping the memory of Monica alive and in out thoughts.

The next recital is still almost 2 months away and this discussion should probably continue on a bit longer as several members have brought up some very valid points. There is no time frame or rush to get this done so let's spend a bit more time discussing this so if and when a change is made it is thoroughly thought out and implemented confidently without any hesitation.

Ken Knapp #2894697 09/27/19 03:22 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Being one of those who was here at the start with Monica, it is fantastic to get your view mr_super_hunky.

Ken Knapp #2894705 09/27/19 04:13 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well I was in the process of editing my post after proof reading it but apparently there is a time limit to accomplish this, even if you already hit the 'edit' button. It seems you can get 'timed out' from editing your post even after you hit the 'edit' button and start to edit the post. If you take too long to do it, [editing]....you get timed out !

I haven't had this happen when editing a post on other sites and wonder if something can be done about this on this forum?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, a couple of things I wanted to change in my reply [but can't] so here they are:
1.) I wanted to change the word "problem" as in 'what to do with the 'problem' of too many seasoned non-beginners' in our recital to "question" as it sounds better. It really was a problem in the beginning however as many true 'beginners' were intimidated by the advanced playing abilities of other members. The purpose of these recitals however was to provide a 'snapshot' of someones progress over time and many of our intermediate to advanced players started out here from day one and it's kind of neat to listen to their progress over time.

These now more advanced players who still perform in our recitals are not really a problem, but rather an inspiration to all of us; especially the true beginners. They can see what is possible if you just stick with it over time. With Sams archived recital index, you can literally go back over a decade and listen to members recordings back when they were just starting out.

So our seasoned members were welcomed with the Beyond moniker in the title as that was the ultimate goal [to pursue and stick with piano as a hobby over time as opposed to getting run off with no place to go once you get good at it!]. That would be counter-productive and make absolutely no sense.

2.) I also left out and wanted to add that it may be more appropriate as well as more accurate to 'dedicate' the recitals to Monica and recognize her efforts as opposed to renaming the recital after her. This is not in any way a 'lesser' memorial of her but rather a way to keep her memory alive and in our thoughts on a permanent basis while keeping the name of the recital and communication to future participants clear and to the point. Monica really liked that fact when the original name was finally chosen.

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
LIVESTREAM 26 and 27th NOVEMBER - ROTA: CASANOVA-SUITE
by art-and-piano - 11/23/20 02:05 PM
Pianos around 1000€
by MrJules - 11/23/20 01:34 PM
Kawai is so popular than Yamaha in NZ
by tony3304 - 11/23/20 12:28 PM
KAWAI NOVUS NV5 KEY ACTION PROBLEMS
by ilsanto1978 - 11/23/20 08:04 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,991
Posts3,026,239
Members99,351
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission