2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by magicpiano
You should have an option to make the effect(?) more strong. On my digital is set at 3/10 and it does nearly nothing. If I set it at 7 or 8/10 I hear clearly the velocity limiter in action when I press the keys harder.

Yes, you can usually change the intensity of the effect, but as you mention, I would expect that only modifies the note-on velocity. If we're thinking about how the una corda works, I would think a stronger una corda effect would also decrease a "hammer hardness" setting if the DP has that?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
The una chorda on my teachers acoustic grand is not subtle at all, it makes a distinctly different sound, and is noticeably softer (aside from the excitement of the whole keyboard moving over to the left!) As I mentioned in the N1X thread, for all intents and purposes I can't tell if the N1X una chorda is working. Playing a repeated note or set of notes with consistent velocity, I can't detect any difference between when it's on or off. This came up because my teacher was suggesting I use it for one of my pieces last night so I tried it at home and it effectively did nothing.

There's no adjustment for depth on it, however I'm curious if it's somehow being affected by IAC. I'm going to try turning it off tonight and see if there is a difference.

Last edited by Chrispy; 09/26/19 03:55 PM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Really? Why sweat it?
Just look at the pedals on a used piano.
The damper is worn with no shine at all to the brass.
The una corda is near pristine. It's just not used very much.

All of the professionals in my piano meetup use the una chorda constantly (and often subconsciously I found out.) It was explained that particularly when playing a grand in a small room (our meetups are in peoples homes) it's vital to moderate the sound to fit the room. Mortals like myself hardly use it at all, but now I have to so I'd like it to work frown

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
You should have an option to make the effect(?) more strong. On my digital is set at 3/10 and it does nearly nothing. If I set it at 7 or 8/10 I hear clearly the velocity limiter in action when I press the keys harder.

Yes, you can usually change the intensity of the effect, but as you mention, I would expect that only modifies the note-on velocity. If we're thinking about how the una corda works, I would think a stronger una corda effect would also decrease a "hammer hardness" setting if the DP has that?
That would be smart to make the sound a little more soft (but still very far from what happens in the real thing). But from what I hear, I feel just a velocity "limiter" when I depress the left pedal. No other timbral changes...

I'm curious to know what happens on Roland modeled pianos when you press the left pedal. Just a velocity limiter or they modeled the 1-corda sound? Recently I went back to work on my hobby project of a modeled piano synth. In my synth every single string is modeled, so it would be very easy to switch to 1-corda sound... I should just turn off the strings that should not be hit by the hammer!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chrispy
The una chorda on my teachers acoustic grand is not subtle at all, it makes a distinctly different sound, and is noticeably softer

Same. I heard it this morning on my teacher's grand and the quality of the sound was definitely different when used, and it was a bit softer. She listened to my N1X and couldn't hear any difference.

As I mentioned in the N1X thread, for all intents and purposes I can't tell if the N1X una chorda is working.

Same.

This came up because my teacher was suggesting I use it for one of my pieces last night so I tried it at home and it effectively did nothing.

Same.

There's no adjustment for depth on it, however I'm curious if it's somehow being affected by IAC. I'm going to try turning it off tonight and see if there is a difference.

Let us know.

All of the professionals in my piano meetup use the una chorda constantly (and often subconsciously I found out.) It was explained that particularly when playing a grand in a small room (our meetups are in peoples homes) it's vital to moderate the sound to fit the room.

I see videos on Youtube of some pianists who not only live on their una corda pedals, they seem to use them in at least 3 positions - up, down, and mid-way:

Mortals like myself hardly use it at all, but now I have to so I'd like it to work frown

Same!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I should just turn off the strings that should not be hit by the hammer!

Are you handling string resonance? Because the string that is not hit by the hammer should have a sympathetic resonance from the one or two that were hit.

Also, as CyberGene pointed out above, the una corda pedal pressed only half-way would be hitting the strings with a softer part of the felt of the hammer which should change the timbre, I'd guess. The pianist above might be doing that because sometimes she presses the una corda pedal all the way down, and other times, only half way. Also for some notes, there is only one string, so the hammer is just shifted to hit that one string with a softer part of the felt.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I see videos on Youtube of some pianists

Did anyone else find that video to be creepy?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I see videos on Youtube of some pianists
Did anyone else find that video to be creepy?

Wait, you were supposed to be looking at her left foot! wink grin

Is this better? She half-pedals the una corda pedal in this one too:

(BTW, for those that think I am being 'gratuitous', well, maybe I am. laugh But she's honest the only one I've seen half-pedaling the una corda pedal in a video.)

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Are you handling string resonance? Because the string that is not hit by the hammer should have a sympathetic resonance from the one or two that were hit.
Yes, that's true, but I think in this case the you would have a weak resonance from a string with almost the same frequency of the adjacent strings, so I don't think this could make a big difference in the generated sound. I plan to model sympathetic string resonances too, but for now it's too soon.

Also, as CyberGene pointed out above, the una corda pedal pressed only half-way would be hitting the strings with a softer part of the felt of the hammer which should change the timbre, I'd guess. The pianist above might be doing that because sometimes she presses the una corda pedal all the way down, and other times, only half way. Also for some notes, there is only one string, so the hammer is just shifted to hit that one string with a softer part of the felt.
Of course the way the hammer hits the string could change (drastically, sometimes) the timbre. I'm trying to model that too (the way the hammer hits the string) so that you could have virtually infinite timbre variations of a vibrating string sound.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Yes, that's true, but I think in this case the you would have a weak resonance from a string with almost the same frequency of the adjacent strings, so I don't think this could make a big difference in the generated sound. I plan to model sympathetic string resonances too, but for now it's too soon.

Actually it would because string resonance contributes to the timbre of the note.

[Linked Image]

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the information. But does anyone here need help finding something to look at in that video? smile
Wait, you were supposed to be looking at her left foot!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Actually it would because string resonance contributes to the timbre of the note.

Being that the 3 strings of a same note resonate at (nearly) the same frequency, each one of those 3 strings would excite the same sympathetic resonances from the other strings, so I don't think you could hear differences regarding sympathetic resonance if you "muted" the third not-struck string of the same played note.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
The una chorda on my teachers acoustic grand is not subtle at all, it makes a distinctly different sound, and is noticeably softer (aside from the excitement of the whole keyboard moving over to the left!) As I mentioned in the N1X thread, for all intents and purposes I can't tell if the N1X una chorda is working. Playing a repeated note or set of notes with consistent velocity, I can't detect any difference between when it's on or off. This came up because my teacher was suggesting I use it for one of my pieces last night so I tried it at home and it effectively did nothing.

My guess is that the piano of an active teacher gets constant play, especially if students travel to her studio for lessons. Those hammers are well worn and grooved, and over time the natural "unpedaled" sound has brightened up. So when you experience the una corda pedal on that piano, the difference is much more drastic, especially compared to a new grand you may find on a showroom floor.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Being that the 3 strings of a same note resonate at (nearly) the same frequency, each one of those 3 strings would excite the same sympathetic resonances from the other strings, so I don't think you could hear differences regarding sympathetic resonance if you "muted" the third not-struck string of the same played note.

Did you read my link on aliquot stringing? That's why some VSTs simulate aliquot resonance.

(Now, that said, I think it is the simulation of a defect.)

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Did you read my link on aliquot stringing? That's why some VSTs simulate aliquot resonance.
I know what aliquot strings are, but I don't see how this could invalidate what I wrote before. If in my model I disabled 1 of 3 strings of a note, and supposing I modeled aliquot strings too, these should resonate even when I disable 1 string of 3 for each note, being that aliquot strings are separated from the other normal strings. Unless for "aliquot" strings you meant the "duplex scaling" system invented by Steinway, that doesn't use separated strings, but the final portion of each string through a sort of double bridging system. Anyway I have neither of those two different aliquot systems implemented, so it doesn't matter... I have to learn to walk before I can run... laughAliquot resonance is an embellishment to the sound, is not a defect. Current pianos sound better than pianos made in the time of Beethoven, because now they have all those little details that first pianos had not. Of course, it's your right to think that a piano produced in 1800 era sounded better than a current Steinway. Personally I think that current grand pianos sound A LOT better.

That's a piano from 1820:

The "authorities" would disagree with you. But I don't. It's a defect.
(Now, that said, I think it is the simulation of a defect.
Just as with the pedal noises ... I don't want it simulated. Rather, it ought to be eliminated.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The "authorities" would disagree with you. But I don't. It's a defect.
(Now, that said, I think it is the simulation of a defect.
Just as with the pedal noises ... I don't want it simulated. Rather, it ought to be eliminated.

+1!!! thumb

[Linked Image]

M
M
I find it odd that you can't adjust the effectiveness of the soft pedal on the N1X. Have you tried contacting your dealer or Yamaha directly about this? Perhaps it's an issue that needs addressing. Or it could be a defect. Can you try it with Pianoteq or some other VST that has adjustable settings for una corda to make sure your pedal is sending a signal?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I checked the manual of the N1X and I didn't find an option to change the effectiveness of the soft pedal... That's very strange! Of course if you use a VST it should work well (at the end of the day it's just an ON/OFF pedal), but it's strange that on a top-model digital piano there isn't such an option.

I don't think the lack of an adjustment is odd.
I think it's peculiar that the fixed setting is wrong, or claimed to be so.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission