2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
31 members (AprilE, CraiginNZ, ColoRodney, Eli26, chih-wei, Anglagard44, Caleb1416, 9 invisible), 402 guests, and 454 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Used Pianos from College Sales and other names ;-)
letsplayit #2893631 09/24/19 08:12 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
In the world of selling big ticket items, “if the customer walks out without buying, the sale is considered lost!” Like it or not, there it is. It can frequently work in the customers advantage. When I grabbed my keys and started to walk the sales manager literally ran after us and agreed to my offer on the new truck. I now own a new Ford F-150 at my price.
Don’t go to a Piano closeout sale or college sale until you’ve done all your research, played a ton of pianos, and know exactly what you’re looking for. If you need lots of time to decide and you need to make numerous visits to try a piano on different days, you’ll only become annoyed going to these sales.
If you already know exactly what you want and can decide on a pianos sound and touch in a crowded noisy atmosphere, then you might make out and find a lovely piano at a discount. If not, avoid the sale and buy your piano through the traditional route or venue.
The piano salesperson at these sales are just doing what they’ve been trained to do and are trying to get you to buy their pianos NOW. We can’t blame them for doing what they’re paid to do.
My 2 cents.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]
letsplayit #2893637 09/24/19 08:29 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The piano salesperson at these sales are just doing what they’ve been trained to do and are trying to get you to buy their pianos NOW. We can’t blame them for doing what they’re paid to do.

I actually totally agree with this. I just decided that wasn't a situation I could work with.

Don’t go to a Piano closeout sale or college sale until you’ve done all your research, played a ton of pianos, and know exactly what you’re looking for.

Re research, the only thing I would add is that whenever these sales are put together, they should at least offer a list of pianos beforehand, with brand, model/size, and age for each piano, so that a prospective buyer can be better prepared.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #2893657 09/24/19 10:15 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

I actually totally agree with this. I just decided that wasn't a situation I could work with.

Don’t go to a Piano closeout sale or college sale until you’ve done all your research, played a ton of pianos, and know exactly what you’re looking for.

Re research, the only thing I would add is that whenever these sales are put together, they should at least offer a list of pianos beforehand, with brand, model/size, and age for each piano, so that a prospective buyer can be better prepared.

You’re quite right. Here’s what I used to do and thanks to smartphones what we can more easily do, Bring a copy of Piano Buyer with the databases or bookmark PB databases on your phone along with the depreciation calculator. Walk in well armed. 😄

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]
j&j #2894147 09/25/19 04:02 PM
G
G
Originally Posted by j&j
In the world of selling big ticket items, “if the customer walks out without buying, the sale is considered lost!” Like it or not, there it is. It can frequently work in the customers advantage. When I grabbed my keys and started to walk the sales manager literally ran after us and agreed to my offer on the new truck. I now own a new Ford F-150 at my price.

That is definitely true in the highly competitive world of car sales, but I don't think piano sales have to be that high pressure. We have far less competition than a Ford dealer, for instance, so following-up with customers is actually a viable option. I suspect that a good amount of piano sales professionals have spent time in other high-pressure industries and bring those bad habits with them.

Justin Johnson
Portland Piano Company
www.portlandpianocompany.com
letsplayit #2894228 09/25/19 07:53 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Robert Estrin talked about this in his video the other day. Was one of five topics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eYrXDDsJx4

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ravenscroft Help
by Grandman - 11/30/20 10:36 PM
loudness/projection vs. bright/mellow
by Piano Math - 11/30/20 08:19 PM
Growing up with an Acoustic Piano
by Deltajockey - 11/30/20 07:35 PM
The 100 Hardest Piano Concertos
by achoo42 - 11/30/20 06:19 PM
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,174
Posts3,029,099
Members99,438
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission